Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I've never so much as watched an episode of Bonanza or read a single book by Zane Grey. All I know of westerns are stereotypes... This story shows that sometimes even stereotypes have their uses.

All feedback appreciated.

Top Banana
Top Banana
I love it! It's like a meme in story form!

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thanks Annie. smile

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
It's funny.

The western I thoroughly enjoyed reading was Winnetou. You probably don't even know that. It's a story written by a German author who never actually travelled across the big pond. He wrote the story of the friendship between a native American and a German immigrant, who started as a Greenhorn and quickly worked his way up to a seasoned scout (Old Shatterhand). The story is written from a first person perspective. The funniest bits are when the explorers of the wild west are sitting around the fireplace, trading stories about the famous Old Shatterhand when the man is sitting right in the middle of the group and still believed to be a greenhorn.

My favorite movie is "Two Mules for Sister Sarah", which is funny rather than violent.

You're western heroes found a different (and I'm guessing more realistic) solution to their problems. Well done.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Barbara,

It sounds like your preference in westerns is western comedy. If I ever were to read anything western-related, I would want it to be something like Winnetou.

I don't know how realistic my characters' solution is. I'll try to avoid getting political here and mentioning what my country is like these days; I'll just say that it is my fervent hope that in a decade or two from now the solution looks a whole lot more realistic than it does at the moment.

Thanks for your feedback,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Perfect unusual end to a normal Western! I cracked up!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Morgana,

Thank you. That was exactly the reaction I had been hoping for. smile

Joy,
Lynn

P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
rotflol rotflol

Our world could sure benefit from this model of problem solving!

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I always wanted to see one of those things end something like this, although I would've thought they'd do rock-paper-scissors to decide who goes and who stays. It's be a lot less violent. But your solution is, of course, quite brilliant. Kudos, milady.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Penny_Lane, I'm glad you found the story amusing. I agree that the world would be a better place if this kind of problem solving were the dominant one. Thanks for your feedback.

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Terry, I like your Rochambeau solution, too. (I learned that name of the game from "Superman and Lois." Who said TV can't be educational? wink )

Your kind words have me blushing. Thank you.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard