Next Thread
Print Thread
#292297 07/01/22 10:43 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I've decided to try expanding my horizons by writing my 100-word stories using a variety of different genres, including some that I am not as familiar with, even as a reader. (Next week's story will be a western -- and I have never so much as watched an episode of Bonanza nor read any westerns. Even so, I think my story manages to work.)

This week is a twofer: crime and science fiction.

As always, all feedback welcomed.

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Your story reminds me of a murder case in my home town. There was a pharmacist's wife who tried to kill her husband by feeding him vanilla pudding mixed with Thallium. That was around 1870. And guess what, I used to work in the hospital where he was treated. Roughly 140 years later.

You see, your imagination isn't that far from the truth.

Well done. clap

Last edited by bakasi; 07/01/22 11:20 AM.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Barbara,

From the sound of it, the pharmacist survived the attempt; I am glad. Do you know the story precisely because you work in the same hospital, or is it more commonly known there?

Be well,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
It's not commonly known. Actually I know about it because I have a knack for history and enjoyed the courses about medical history very much. During one of those extracurricular courses someone mentioned it. And I stumbled upon the old pharmacy while working in walking distance. It's a advocat's office today, but they kept the interiors looking like back in 1870.

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
You always seem to have the most interesting tidbits to share. Thank you, Barbara. smile

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Glad you liked the tidbit. Weird details and stories have a tendency to remain stuck in my brain. It's nice to be able to share them once in a while. I'm still looking for a good opportunity to introduce you to Loriot - the king of German humor. I think you might like him. But so far nothing has come up. But I'll get my chance, eventually. laugh

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Barbara,

I think you just created the chance. Now I'm curious: Who is Loriot? I could do an online search, but I think it would be more fun for both of us if you were to tell me yourself.

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., I love preterition!

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Loriot is much about failed communication. And usually his characters are very pedantic.

Watch this video for example. The Egg

The spoken language is German, but there should be English subtitles available.

Usually the conversation starts fairly normal and ends up very absurd.

This is another example: The picture is hanging askance

I don't know if there are subtitles, but most of that sketch works without words. The man is someone who is trying to sell an insurance or something like that. He is supposed to wait in that room till the lady of the house arrives.

Another great sketch is about a news anchor interviewing an astronaut, but it turns out the man sitting in front of him is just Joe Regular. But he keeps asking him the same kind of questions.

"What is the greatest distance from Planet Earth you've been working at?"

"Oh, we're on the third floor."

"And have you ever been afraid that you won't come down?"

"No."

"No, uh huh. And I guess zero gravity isn't the main problem of administration employees."

Last edited by bakasi; 07/02/22 02:36 PM.

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thank you. I got a chuckle out of that video and plan to watch some more. The humour definitely survives the translation.

If you want an English-based skit involving miscommunication, check out the classic Who's on First . It is one of the most widely known English-language humor routines. In fact, I would not be surprised if you have seen it already. Both it and my next recommendation do require one to have an excellent ability to understand spoken English in order to enjoy them, but I would guess you are more than up to the challenge.

Another classic Vaudevillian comedy duo was the real-life husband and wife team of George Burns and Gracie Allen (Burns and Allen) I think you might enjoy their sketches, as well. They used to have a TV show and, before that, a radio show. At the end of the main part of the show (an early situation comedy), they would always have a brief (2-3 minute) discussion which was (in my opinion) the best part of the show.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Thank you, I guess I will check that out once I'm back from my vacation. I've added something above, while you posted that last one.

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I enjoyed the sketch that you typed and you were right -- the one you linked to really didn't need any translation. (It was open captioned, but I would have gotten the main part even without them.) I feel sorry for the crew who had to set up the set before each take and straighten it up after each one. I wonder how many takes were needed and how much practice was involved before the shooting even began.

Have fun on your vacation.

By the way, our conversations do seem to take us in odd directions, don't they? I always look forward to them.

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Thank you. Given that Vicco von Bülow (Loriot's real name) was very pedantic himself, I'm guessing that there were very many takes involved.

You should have a look at the sketch "Das Klavier"

It's not all that important either what the people say. The family got a piano from an American relative and now they are trying to make a video to thank her.

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
A well-tempo-ed thank you for a well-tempered clavier? wink That was fun.

And it leads me to another recommendation. One of the best pieces from actor/singer/dancer/comedian Danny Kaye is from the musical comedy The Court Jester. The grand number in it is The Pellet with the Poison In it, Danny Kaye's character (who is a coward and has no martial arts training) is supposed to fight to the death a brute of a man. Before the fight, the two duellers are to take a ceremonial drink. The old woman has put a poisoned pellet into the brute's drink, and is trying to make sure that Danny Kaye's character takes the safe drink.

And if you want to hear what Danny Kaye sounds like when he showing off his ability to handle tongue twisters accurately, try this clip: Tongue Twisters.

Happy listening,
Lynn

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard