Next Thread
Print Thread
A
AnnieM Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
Happy sighs. If only there were a way to overcome this distance between them. wink

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Go Clark, he was about to tell her. I know he was. This is sweet torture.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Clark she gave you the perfect opening, I hope you tell her the truth soon. That said if he is going to tell her the truth it would be better to do so in person rather than over the phone.

I love Cat even more and it annoys me that she was so under utilised in the series because I agree that she’s a lot deeper than the facade she puts up. She genuinely cares for Lois and her well being especially when she worried that Clark was only using travelling as an excuse to ditch Lois. She was happy that Lois found a guy who in her words:

Originally Posted by AnnieM
“You didn’t tell me he was captain-of-the-football-team, take-me-under-the-bleachers-and-have-your-way-with-me hot,” Cat said, fanning herself.

Looking forward to Lois getting the last of Clark’s letters and postcards.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Online Content
Hack from Nowheresville
S
I thought Clark might tell Lois since she gave him an opening but I think he needs to do in person. I can’t wait to see how this plays out. I love this story and I’m excited for the next chapter! Hurry up
tomorrow! Thank you!

Features Writer
Features Writer
Awww. The talk was great and makes me want even more for him to tell her (didn't know it was possible to want it more).
Can't wait for tomorrow.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Everything the others have said, plus one more thing that I hope I can present in a cogent fashion.

In this story, Clark and Lois have always had a buffer between them, be it Clark's students or the distance between Metropolis and Smallville. So Lois isn't threatened by Clark's skill and ever-present presence. She can afford to open up to him over the phone (and when he magically appears in the newsroom) because he's not staying. She doesn't have to guard her heart against him because she has that buffer already. She can afford to dance around the does-she-or-doesn't-she-love-him quandary because there is no commitment between them yet. Oh, yes, they're writing all kinds of almost-sloppy letters and emails to each other and acting like lovesick teens on the phone, but she still has the buffer.

And that's not a bad thing at all. One of the reasons that L&C Lois was hesitant to open up to Clark was because if it went south between them, he'd be in the newsroom every day as a reminder of her latest federal disaster. But because he's not there, the pressure is off. If this relationship goes pear-shaped (Heaven forfend!) the only reminders will be ones she can eliminate. Her defenses haven't engaged because she hasn't needed them.

I almost wish some TV show would have shown their relationship developing in exactly this way. It's lovely to watch. And I want to watch more! Now! Flee not from me, Tomorrow! Hasten! I long for your sweet embrace! Ply me with kisses and flights of fancy!

Can you tell I like this part of the story? The only problem is that you have two more long-form stories to follow and y'all have set the bar so high now that I can hardly wait to see how you top this part.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
Yes indeed AnnieM! That is the question. Just how will you “overcome this distance between them”?

Obviously, if only they could fly. wink That would provide a resolution. But even that spectacular reveal offers only a short-term fix. A forever life together will require much more.

You have created two separate worlds that are each very appealing in their own way. Now that we’ve been introduced to this charming town of Smallville, Clark’s presence there seems essential. Likewise, it’s simply impossible to imagine the Daily Planet without Lois Lane.

I’ve noticed clues throughout the story from both Lois and Clark that suggest more than one satisfying outcome. As Terry said, we have two additional stories to look forward to after this one! So I think I will just enjoy the long journey ahead and trust that it will be good! Very good. notworthy

Thank you for writing this story and sharing it with us!

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I have read the last two parts over and over! The kiss was so good - their first kiss, just in this world… loved it. And I especially love Lois swooning over it in her walk back to the Planet. Let’s hope there are many more kisses to come!

As others have said, I’m loving Cat in this world. She is fleshed out a bit more, but she’s still Cat. I loved the line about how Lois’s taste in men may be better than her taste in clothing, haha. Totally Cat.

The phone call was sweet, with just the right amount of heat now that they are aware of each other in a totally new way. Loved the insert of the invisible or fly convo - it amazes me how you weave these moments from the series in and they seem so seamless in this story. I can’t wait to see how Clark handles the revelation - or will Lois figure out what’s up first?? And how will Superman be introduced?

Looking forward to the next part!! My favorite part of the day, I’m telling you!

A
AnnieM Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
In this story, Clark and Lois have always had a buffer between them, be it Clark's students or the distance between Metropolis and Smallville. So Lois isn't threatened by Clark's skill and ever-present presence. She can afford to open up to him over the phone (and when he magically appears in the newsroom) because he's not staying. She doesn't have to guard her heart against him because she has that buffer already. She can afford to dance around the does-she-or-doesn't-she-love-him quandary because there is no commitment between them yet. Oh, yes, they're writing all kinds of almost-sloppy letters and emails to each other and acting like lovesick teens on the phone, but she still has the buffer.

And that's not a bad thing at all. One of the reasons that L&C Lois was hesitant to open up to Clark was because if it went south between them, he'd be in the newsroom every day as a reminder of her latest federal disaster. But because he's not there, the pressure is off. If this relationship goes pear-shaped (Heaven forfend!) the only reminders will be ones she can eliminate. Her defenses haven't engaged because she hasn't needed them.

I'm so glad you brought this up! This was a key factor in writing this story. When I was crafting the set up of this story, I wanted a world where Lois was a little softer (thanks to professional success and mellowing with time) and where Clark was more successful and settled (thanks to years working and living in Smallville). And then I wanted their relationship to follow the same trajectory as the show -- the slow buildup of friendship turning into romance. But I realized as I began writing, the distance between them actually changed the dynamic significantly. Not only did it remove the antagonistic aspect of their relationship because Lois never sees Clark as a rival or usurper, but also -- as you pointed out -- the buffer of distance allows her to open up to him in a way that she was hesitant to do when she was worried about compromising her working relationship and her friendship with her partner. So there is still some back and forth about her nerves regarding losing his friendship if their romantic relationship goes belly up, but it's a much much different dynamic than when they were forced to see each other every day and when she knew she would be forced to see him daily if things didn't work out. It changed my timeline a good bit once I realized how much this distance would affect her. I was still able to keep things moving at a more realistic pace -- no flying off to elope after knowing each other a week -- but without her fear about ruining their partnership and without Superman there to distract her, it only takes a matter of months for her to realize how much she wants him and decide he's worth taking some risks for.

Originally Posted by Penny_Lane
You have created two separate worlds that are each very appealing in their own way. Now that we’ve been introduced to this charming town of Smallville, Clark’s presence there seems essential. Likewise, it’s simply impossible to imagine the Daily Planet without Lois Lane.

I hope you are ready for a long ride, because this question is absolutely a major theme of this series, but it's going to be awhile before we get there. wink

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard