Next Thread
Print Thread
A
AnnieM Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
Lois is back to her workaholic life, but with a little diversion in the form of their first phone call (brief as it may be!) and their first email! And a little quality time with Cat and Jimmy.

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Hope that Lois replies to Clark’s email and quickly. Love that you have kept Cat in this universe because I think she adds a great dynamic to the whole world of Lois and Clark. Wonder if Lois will at any point go to her for advice about Clark?

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Features Writer
Features Writer
It's really nice to see Lois in her element. I wonder if Clark will help out later laugh

Looking forward to more.

A
AnnieM Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
Originally Posted by Crazy_Babe
Love that you have kept Cat in this universe because I think she adds a great dynamic to the whole world of Lois and Clark.

One of the most interesting parts of writing this AU was realizing all the things that would change in the first two seasons if Clark never came to Metropolis and created Superman. Obviously Lois’ life would be different, but so would many other people’s. It’s easy to think about the negatives — people who would die without his rescue, etc. But it was interesting to realize that his appearance also led (indirectly, usually) to death and destruction. There were a number of plot lines specifically about Luthor testing Superman or trying to kill him or seeing him as a rival for Lois. And all those would be different (like the heat wave, which I meant ironed still happened but with a different motivation) or would not happen at all (like the bombing of the Daily Planet and it’s subsequent bankruptcy). Without Luthor’s obsessive love for Lois, spurred on at least in part by his obsession with his rivalry with Superman, he never would have bought and bombed the Daily Planet building. And if it was never bombed…there was no reason for Cat to leave and find other employment. Once I realized that, it was fun to imagine how her relationship with Lois might be different given this Lois’ progression.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I dropped in to see what was going on these days and I find this absolute gem! This is wonderful, Annie and Kathy. It's warm and heart-tugging and full of real characters who aren't just supporting the main story. I like Lana and her matchmaking a lot. And I like snarky but friendly Cat a lot, although I expect that we'll see more of her in future chapters. And y'all have drawn Clark's students very well. I really enjoyed their shift from "Mr. Kent says..." to "Ms. Lane says..." and Lois' reaction to it.

This is really beautiful. It's well-paced and feels natural, as if a brilliant time-traveling author (or a pair of them) had re-written L&C from scratch. Your unspoken promise of angst and pain for these two, coupled with their undeniable mutual attraction, makes me think that they'll have a very difficult time ahead. Yet you also hint very strongly that these two links in the same chain will end up together forever before the final chapter is written.

You also have left some tough questions dangling. Will Lois decide to be a Kansas teacher's wife? Or even teach herself? Will Clark leave the comfortable nest and venture out into the big and raucous Metropolis to report the news as it happens? Does Lana know about Clark's special gifts? (You've delicately neglected to clarify that point. Great tease.) Which one will be the first to decide to be noble and break it off? Which one will decide that doing so is the stupidest act of the current century?

I'm glad you're posting daily. I'm already jonseing for my next fix. Keep up the terrific work, you two!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
Your unspoken promise of angst and pain for these two, coupled with their undeniable mutual attraction, makes me think that they'll have a very difficult time ahead.

I've been letting Annie take point on the responses so far -- she wrote 90%+ of this story, yet was kind enough to name me as cowriter when I was more like a Beta Reader On Steroids (OK, OK, a BR who would do ridiculous over-stepping things like "How about if they did this?" and then just add several paragraphs into the main story file, or "I had thoughts about the story; what do you think of something like this?" and send Annie a few pages lol ) -- but this comment just had me in stitches.

First of all, welcome back, Terry! We're absolutely delighted you popped back in and have been enjoying this story. We really do think you'll enjoy it. smile

But WHERE, OH WHERE, do we promise angst and pain in this story? rotflol I do not remember promising any such thing, and we're both totally cracking up over this expectation. grin

I don't want to spoil too much ... but I can promise that while interesting things will happen in the story (at least, we find them to be interesting things!), I can also say that this universe has been our happy place for the several months that we've been working on it, and we hope that, when it's over, it will become a happy place universe for a lot of our readers, as well. sloppy

I'll also just add here that we are SO HAPPY that others have been enjoying coming on this journey with us. As Annie mentioned in an earlier comment, we've been saying for months -- as the story file got longer and longer and LONGER, such that we finally decided to break it up into a trilogy rather than dump a 100 part story on you all wink -- that even if no one else ever reads it, we've had SO MUCH FUN writing it for ourselves. But to have others enjoying it with us has definitely been the icing on the cake. love

Last edited by KathyB; 06/06/22 09:56 PM.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
My favorite part of the day is seeing a new part of this story! A few random thoughts I had while I read this one:

1. Why do people always pull back and look at the phone when they aren’t sure if anyone is on the line? It’s a perfect detail, because we all do it, but… why? It’s not like we are going to see the other person. But yay! He called her! I got butterflies too, man. Have I mentioned I love watching them fall in love??

2. Poor Lois… I’m sure stakeout are pretty boring when you don’t have Clark next to you to keep you company. Girl does not know what she’s missing! Hopefully he will join her at some point in this series of stories! I love them on stakeouts together. Lots of time to… talk.

3. Clark is also good for reading through stacks of boring research and finding those needles in a haystack. Again, poor Lois. We’ve got to get them working together soon!

4. Cat and Lois. Sorta, kinda friendship. More or less. Haha, I love it!! Perfection. (As is Lana and Clark’s friendship in this story. I will probably replace canon Lana for yours in my head. I enjoy her way more, lol)

5. I really liked his email to her, but now I want to read her reply! Lois is pretty busy, though… I hope not too busy for a little romance! (I should also mention that as soon as I read the word ‘email’ in a story by Annie and Kathy… my mind immediately went to a certain email and I started giggling, because that Tea Totaled email is classic. Somehow I don’t think this Lois will end her email with “so yay love! Come back quick!” but we can always hope, haha)

Love this, ladies. Excited for the next part!

A
AnnieM Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A

Originally Posted by traceylynn
5. I really liked his email to her, but now I want to read her reply! Lois is pretty busy, though… I hope not too busy for a little romance! (I should also mention that as soon as I read the word ‘email’ in a story by Annie and Kathy… my mind immediately went to a certain email and I started giggling, because that Tea Totaled email is classic. Somehow I don’t think this Lois will end her email with “so yay love! Come back quick!” but we can always hope, haha)

I'll be back to comment on other feedback, but I am laughing so hard I'm crying actual tears at the idea of this Lois responding to Clark's email with her Tea Totaled email. This would be the best story mashup ever.

Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally Posted by traceylynn
5. I really liked his email to her, but now I want to read her reply! Lois is pretty busy, though… I hope not too busy for a little romance! (I should also mention that as soon as I read the word ‘email’ in a story by Annie and Kathy… my mind immediately went to a certain email and I started giggling, because that Tea Totaled email is classic. Somehow I don’t think this Lois will end her email with “so yay love! Come back quick!” but we can always hope, haha

Like Annie, I was DYING laughing -- like full on chortle, so loud I had to slap my hand over my mouth to keep from disturbing my husband -- when I read this. We have remembered our TT days fondly many, many times while writing this story. The bar was set high back then, since there were many times I'd laugh so hard while we were writing it that I'd go to bed with my ribs aching. And we've definitely managed to reach it more than once while writing this story, LOL!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lois is back to Metropolis and her busy life as a reporter. I always love reading about life in the bullpen, Lois walking around with coffee in hand and a scowl on her face, yup vintage Lois! So glad to see Cat, Jimmy and the rest of the gang being more than just supporting parts but people who are truly reporters doing their own work as well. Glad to see that Jimmy's photos have moved him away from being a research assistant to having a more active role as a photojournalist. Cat and Lois are now working together, not giving each other a hard time. This seems more natural. Thank you.

But wait, what's this? A warm-hearted email from a certain dark haired stranger? The email is so welcoming she reads it THREE times. LOL! Hope she writes him back soon. I have to remember this is the mid-nineties and email was still the luxury of work computers only.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally Posted by Morgana
I have to remember this is the mid-nineties and email was still the luxury of work computers only.
I got a chuckle out of this, since we most definitely had long conversations about life in the 90's and how to work a lot of that into the story. You'll see more "blasts from the past" as you keep reading! smile

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard