Next Thread
Print Thread
A
AnnieM Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
Awwwww. She just couldn't do it -- couldn't walk away forever with no contact. Could they be any cuter?

And did you catch all the little Easter egg episode references? I worked so hard to weave them in -- not just lines (and there are lots of them!) but little things like outfits too. Did you catch what Lois is wearing in this scene? Did you see the foreshadowing? (I told Kathy, I half wish I could make a Pop Up Video version of this story -- a google doc with all the easter eggs explained as comments so readers could catch all the little references.)

Last edited by AnnieM; 06/04/22 08:56 AM.

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Features Writer
Features Writer
Squeeeee!!!
So glad she gave him her number, and their interaction was perfect and adorable.
Can't wait for the next part ☺️

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
I’m glad that Lois came to her senses and realised that the undeniable connection she had with Clark was something that she couldn’t let go of. Cleary his students made her see him in a different light and the speech she gave is clearly a reflection of that. Let’s not forget too about that first kiss! I did pick up some of the Easter eggs, going to go back now to find the rest.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 06/04/22 04:05 PM.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Online Content
Hack from Nowheresville
S
I’m glad Lois gave Clark her phone number. They are so cute together that it would have been sad if she didn’t. Little does she know that Clark heard her comment about waiting all her life. I need to read this chapter again to find all the Easter eggs. Thanks for another great chapter! I can’t wait for the next chapter!

P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
Another fantastic chapter! I like the pop-up video idea--in case I missed some episode references. I have picked up on some throughout the story. I really appreciate the effort it must take to weave those phrases into a completely new story. Particularly when they seem to work so impeccably! This is my favorite.
“All my life,” she whispered to herself, too quiet for him to hear.

I especially liked that she said this about Clark, and not Superman. Just perfect! notworthy

I am very anxious to see how the story unfolds.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
We are away this week visiting my husband’s family, so this isnt the lengthy fdk I really want to leave, but I can’t go another moment without telling you and Kathy that I am OBSESSED with this story! You guys have captured the tone of the show perfectly, so even though it’s AU I still absolutely recognize my two fav characters. I adore Clark as a teacher (especially a journalism teacher - gee, I wish my high school journalism teacher had looked like Clark!!) and I can see how he could’ve become this version of himself if his life had taken a few different turns. I love that Lois took down Luthor - go girl!

I’m loving watching their connection grow throughout their time at the conference (btw, beautifully described - the sessions, schedule, presenters - when did you go to a journalism conference?!?) I’m really enjoying Clark’s students, too, and how you introduced us to a few kiddos - hope they show up again somehow!

The Easter eggs are my favorite, and I think that’s what makes it feel so much like L&C. I can catch most of the lines (cause if you remember correctly, I have much of the series memorized from wearing out all my old VHS tapes in college, lol). I’m dying to know about her outfit tho - was it in S1? I haven’t seen the eps in a few years so that part is vague. I’d be all about reading a pop-up video version of this one … I’m sure I’ve missed something!

I just have to mention real quick - even though this is already longer than I thought it’d be and I hate typing on my phone - but the attraction between them is so perfectly written. Like, I’m yelling at him to kiss her after the went for drinks and totally imagining Lois closing the door behind her and slumping against it, letting out a breath because that man is the most amazing one she’s ever met… being both so disappointed that he didn’t kiss her and so grateful that he knew not to just yet. And then when he did kiss her just ever so brief in this part, it was prefect bc that’s exactly where they should be right now - do you know what I mean? So glad she gave him her number… because I’m dying to know what comes next!! Im trying to imagine that phone call - which means I’m writing fic in my head for a fanfic. That’s when you know it’s good, people.

Thanks for posting daily… looking forward to the next part of this masterpiece!

Tracey

A
AnnieM Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
Y'all are the best. These comments seriously made my day. I'm so glad you're enjoying it. Kathy and I like to say that this is the most self-indulgent story ever written. We just wrote what made us happy and didn't care if anyone else liked it. But we're honestly pretty glad you're loving it. wink

Originally Posted by traceylynn
I can’t go another moment without telling you and Kathy that I am OBSESSED with this story! You guys have captured the tone of the show perfectly, so even though it’s AU I still absolutely recognize my two fav characters.

This is seriously the best praise. I have such a love/hate relationship with AUs. When they are done well, and it feels like our characters just in a different circumstance, I love them so much. But so often AUs veer so far from the source that they don't even seem like the same characters anymore or they seem totally implausible. When we started talking about writing an AU, we talked so much about how to make it feel like OUR Lois and Clark. So the fact that they are so recognizable makes us so happy.

Originally Posted by traceylynn
I just have to mention real quick - even though this is already longer than I thought it’d be and I hate typing on my phone - but the attraction between them is so perfectly written. Like, I’m yelling at him to kiss her after the went for drinks and totally imagining Lois closing the door behind her and slumping against it, letting out a breath because that man is the most amazing one she’s ever met… being both so disappointed that he didn’t kiss her and so grateful that he knew not to just yet. And then when he did kiss her just ever so brief in this part, it was prefect bc that’s exactly where they should be right now - do you know what I mean?.

And...this was our other major goal with writing an AU -- the impetus for writing the thing in the first place. My number one gripe with AUs is when they move so fast. The characters meet at a conference and fall head of heels and by the end of the weekend they are moving in together and living happily ever after. And that just...doesn't work for me. We know they are soulmates. We know they belong together. I want them to fall in love. But on the show it took years for them to figure out what to do with the attraction and connection they both obviously felt from the beginning. I find it nearly impossible to imagine a world where they figure it all out in three days. So this story was written in an effort to embrace the slow burn and let them build a foundation of friendship first. That's all I can say without spoilers wink but please know that this comment makes my heart sing. This will they/won't they, hurry up and wait, slow burn feeling is exactly what we hoped to get across.

As for the Easter Eggs...I can't give you pop up video but I can point out fun stuff in the comment section. wink

Originally Posted by Penny_Lane
This is my favorite.
“All my life,” she whispered to herself, too quiet for him to hear.

I especially liked that she said this about Clark, and not Superman. Just perfect! notworthy

This is one of my top 3 easter eggs in the whole series. A big part of what we wanted out of this self-indulgent story, was to give Clark all the attention that was lauded on Superman in the series. From everyone -- coworkers, neighbors, etc., but of course most of all, Lois. Being able to work this line into the story this way, with the subject being Clark not Superman, was a huge victory. It's one of the few lines I kept secret from Kathy as I was writing because I wanted to see her blind reaction.

And the other big easter egg from this chapter is Lois' outfit -- many of the outfits in this series are outfits Lois actually wore on the show. Most of that is just for fun and they don't signify anything. But in this case, the outfit specifically foreshadowed a scene from that day....

Lois surveyed herself in the mirrored walls of the elevator. She looked ready to face the overly-warm conference rooms stuffed with bodies in the Miami heat in a simple white blouse with cap sleeves and a keyhole front paired with a light gray skirt that fell a few inches above the knee. Her expertly done makeup disguised the effects of her sleepless night.

If you don't recognize the outfit, you might want to check out this clip. I think you'll recognize both the outfit and the goodbye. wink

YouTube: Heat Wave Goodbye

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
Oh AnnieM, thanks for sharing the video. I knew that elevator scene describing her outfit was significant, but couldn't remember this Heat Wave scene. I kept thinking she wore a keyhole top in GGGofH, but it was a different color!! This info just makes this chapter more meaningful. And your thought processing behind the easter eggs adds even more depth to the story; while making another of my favorite lines from chapter 4 more noteworthy........

“Do you think there’s some alternate universe out there where your dad never had a heart attack, and you wound up working in Metropolis?” Her question was lighthearted, but her eyes were sad.

You absolutely nailed the essence of this act. I love how you allow us to live in Lois’s skin and really experience the palpable emotions captured and communicated visually in Heat Wave. And now, equally as well in Written in the Stars. notworthy notworthy

Thanks again for sharing your work!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
And then he bent his head to hers and kissed her. It was over almost before it had begun, as brief and chaste as a kiss could be. But she felt more in that fleeting moment than she had ever felt during a moment of passion. He pulled back and looked at her, his thumb stroking her cheek gently, and she felt a tremendous sense of loss for something she’d never even had.

My toes are tingling with happiness what a delightful kiss!

She looked up and met his eye, her heart leaping at the sight of him. She looked back down, jotting down a number on the back of her card. “I was… I know what I said, about you living a million miles away. It’s true. But… This has been so nice. Talking to you. And I just thought… Maybe… If you wanted…we could keep talking.” She took a step closer to him and placed the card in his outstretched hand, her eyes averted, unable to meet his. “That’s my home number, on the back. If you wanted… I mean… you know.”

Lois? Lois Lane giving out her HOME phone number? Who is this person? Sounds like something beautiful has begun....

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard