Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
And they all lived happily ever after? What did you think? wink

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Top Banana
Top Banana
Really nice wrap up. Conclusion with much more of the story left to our imagination. Another chapter would have been nice but with so many revelation stories out there I am not sure where you could added much uniqueness and this story was a pretty unique revelation story. The way the previous three chapters had gone I really expected Lois to finally take charge and tell him that it did not make any difference to her that he was Superman and that she was not angry but maybe a bit frustrated that he would not just tell her. Your handling of that part was extremely well done.

Kudos,

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

A
AnnieM Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
Thanks so much! I'm glad the revelation lived up to your expectations. I feel like we so often see Lois being angry initially, and I wanted this to be a chance for her to have time to process on her own, and to realize that in this case he is telling her at an appropriate time, not waiting too long or holding out for no good reason, and therefore be able to take the lead and be supportive. Initially, I thought there might be another chapter or two, but I felt like you that there wasn't really anything unique to be added after this point, and I chose instead to narrow the focus to just this brief window of the time -- the "right now" -- and leave the rest to the imagination of the readers.

L
L Offline
Columnist
Columnist
L
Beautiful. Just beautiful. I am so thrilled by this. This is a wonderful revelation. Perhaps I dare to say that the post reveal writing did not sit well with me. I never liked his being petulant, and her being snippy. I felt something was lost. So this is what I wanted to see.

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence
A
AnnieM Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
Originally Posted by L
Beautiful. Just beautiful. I am so thrilled by this. This is a wonderful revelation. Perhaps I dare to say that the post reveal writing did not sit well with me. I never liked his being petulant, and her being snippy. I felt something was lost. So this is what I wanted to see.

I'm so glad you loved it! I feel the same way about the revelation in the show. It should have been such a transformative moment for them, and instead they were snarky and petty. I think it was incredibly unfair of him to ask her to marry him before telling her who he was -- how can you ask someone to spend the rest of your life with you when they don't know what that life is going to look like? It was like he was so blinded by his jealousy over her Superman crush that he couldn't see that he needed her to love both sides of him and she deserved to know what she was agreeing to when she made the biggest decision of her life. And don't even get me started on his petulance when she didn't respond the way he wanted. The whole thing was a mess. And though there are some scenes I really loved at the end of And the Answer Is and then in Ordinary People, I still feel like the revelation itself was bungled and am always craving a chance to fix it. I've written quite a few variations over the years, but this is the first time I've written it this way -- with Lois so calm and focused on supporting him. I relied pretty heavily on scenes from Season 4 for inspiration -- like when he was affected by the Red Kryptonite and she was the steadying partner, keeping him calm and caring for his emotions.

Features Writer
Features Writer
What a delightful story and revelation. It is so refreshing to read a story where Lois figures it out, has time to process it, and chooses to act like an adult rather than throwing a childish temper tantrum. Thanks for giving Clark the chance to attempt confessing everything before getting more serious in dating, let alone proposing. I never liked that proposal before telling her the truth. I enjoyed Lois in your story recognizing Clark's pain and trying to desperately help ease it. You hit upon the best part of Season 4, since many of the plots I found disappointing and inappropriate for its original time slot in what was then the "Family Hour" with such things as alien invasion, ghosts, and body changes. Well done seems so inadequate!

Last edited by cuidadora; 05/23/22 09:54 PM. Reason: typo

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Features Writer
Features Writer
Wonderful ending. I really liked the depth shown in Lois and especially liked her thinking about how it was for Clark growing up. I always find that aspect of reveals (Superman grew up on a farm!) very fun to read.
And Clark's response to learning she already knew was perfect!
Most of all, I enjoyed seeing the best of what makes Lois, Lois. Supportive, inquisitive, and persistent in all the best ways :3

L
L Offline
Columnist
Columnist
L
My least favorite ep was the one was ordinary people. It had so much nasty sniping on both their sides and her whole 'woman in heels dealing with sand' kind of thing felt sexist to me. I'm their age, so it's not like I don't know what it was like to be a woman in those days. I just hated the vibe. No kindness. No love. Just backbiting. Clark should have understood why Lois was angry when he asked her to marry him before telling him he is secret without acting like a child. Frankly Lois's reactions made sense to me. So again- have all my kudos!

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
I love this story! I wish the series had done this. I agree that Clark proposing without telling Lois that he was Superman was wrong and then he acted so childish when she didn’t say yes right away. I adore this Clark. He was so vulnerable and I felt his fear. I just wanted to give him a hug! I also liked how mature and supportive Lois was. Thanks for a beautiful story, for making me smile, and for righting a series wrong! I’ll definitely read this again. I just wish there was more! I would have loved to see how the rest of their weekend went and what happened when they got back to Metropolis.

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Thank you fro a wonderful story and a wonderful revelation. I enjoyed every bit of this story.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
A
AnnieM Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
Thanks so much, everyone, for the lovely feedback. I was honestly a little nervous to write such a different revelation and I'm so glad it seems that everyone loved it. I love writing these characters as more mature adults, who take time to think things through before reacting. This story almost didn't make it -- I abandoned it for another project (coming soon!) and really thought it wasn't enough of an idea to make a full story. I'm so glad I came back to it and finished it!

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Thank you, AnnieM, for coming back to it. I’m very happy you finished it. I’m looking forward to your next story.

P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
Annie, thanks for this well-written FIX! Too bad you didn’t serve as a writer for the TV series. We might still be enjoying our favorite weekly L & C romcom!

Great job in presenting a more mature Lois Lane without diminishing the bright, independent character we all love. Your Lois didn’t leave behind those intuitive thinking skills and the innate curiosity that made her a brilliant investigator as she assessed her relationship with Clark.

Everything about the story just seemed to work! And it wasn’t that it was an unrealistic fairytale. There were plenty of mistakes, regret and pain to go around. Lois’s maturity and strength seemed to be the source that opened the door for Clark to overcome his fears and insecurities.

One response from Lois that I found eye-opening when she was trying to make Clark understand that Dan was not the cause of confusion between them.......

“No, Clark. Not because of Dan. Things were confusing between us because that date, and that kiss...they were so good. And then you backed way off, and you didn’t tell me why. And anytime I tried to talk to you, you ran off to…water your plants or check your mail.”

“I wanted to know why. I needed to know why. “That’s all I wanted. For you to be honest with me. For you to stay. For you to choose me.”

Clark was obsessed by insisting that Lois choose him, and not Superman. He never saw his abandonment of her. She wanted nothing more than the same.

I don’t read many stories that I really like and find myself fully satisfied at the end. I generally always want more! But this one wrapped up just right! It evoked a sigh of contentment and left me feeling like all was as it should be in the L & C universe!

Thank you for sharing another really good story.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wonderful. This is the way adults communicate. What a lovely note to end it on. twins

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
Beautiful! I really enjoyed this. I giggled when Perry asked if she was done torturing her partner... And boy, was she. Being so supportive and loving when he was so set on torturing himself. Thanks for finishing it and sharing!

Columnist
Columnist
I loved this. Taking her away on a weekend was a great idea. Loved this story. Thank you for sharing.

S
Blogger
Blogger
S
I absolutely adored this story. I loved that you gave Lois time to work through her emotions in her own time. The nervousness and angst that Clark feels is palpable. The scenes where he's spiraling and she pulls him back are great. A true partnership. Of course, all those kisses don't hurt either. Great story.
Sarah

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard