Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
People on the autism spectrum often (but by no means always) also have sensory processing challenges. As an example: The lights going on and off in the story was how Joey perceived the flickering of fluorescent lights. Many people on the spectrum find such lighting distracting at best and overwhelming at worst. Think of what a strobe light's impact might have on someone who has a bad hangover, and you'll begin to get the idea. Things that most people won't even notice may be almost painful to someone with a sensory processing disorder.

I learned about all of this in the process of trying to understand my own son's behaviour when he was quite young.

As always, all feedback welcomed.

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Going shopping is an ordeal for most kids. I remember how much I hated it when I was a kid. And all that might have turned the boring event into something more exciting was forbidden - like climbing on the wooden platforms.
How much worse must it be for a child who has more problems than simple boredom.
Thanks for sharing this.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Barbara,

What you wrote is so true. I hated shopping as a child, too -- especially trying on clothing. Come to think of it, that part hasn't changed much over the years; I still find clothing shopping a chore, but at least as an adult I get to decide when I have had enough for the day.

Thanks for the feedback.

Be well,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
I hated shopping as a child, too -- especially trying on clothing. Come to think of it, that part hasn't changed much over the years; I still find clothing shopping a chore, but at least as an adult I get to decide when I have had enough for the day.

That could be me. I have a real talent for trying to shop clothing that's completely out of season. Like long-sleeve shirts in spring - when there are only t-shirts. Or t-shirts in summer, when the shops have the clothes for fall. Driving me absolutely insane

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I've never understood why one can't purchase clothing during the season in which one would wear it. I mean, I can understand why stores would not want to have a large end-of-season inventory, but I would think that they should have seasonal stock during at least the first half of each season. It seems to me that if there were a store that advertised that it did just that, it would stand out enough from the pack to be able to make a lot of money -- they'd be the only game in town for timely/last-minute shoppers. huh

I'm hoping I live to see the day when 3D printing of clothing is both commonplace and affordable. I revel at the the thought of being able to get perfectly fitting clothing that has the precise material and design desired without the hassles of having to try on umpteen articles of clothing first.

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard