Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
The title consists of two vocabulary items for the lover of sesquipedalian words. They are synonyms meaning "fear of Friday the 13th."

Believe it or not, missing Employee Appreciation Day was one of the very few fire-able offenses at my old job. (I am no longer there because I retired, not because I missed EA Day. wink )

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
The title is very interesting. When I first saw it, I had to think of a sketch I played in elemantary school. I was a pharmacists and had to repeat the word : Isoprophylprohenylbarbitursaurusphenyldimethyldimethylaminopyrazolon several times. Took me ages to pronouce it, but I still know it by heart.

Concerning Friday the 13th, when we returned from a journey to Italy with our whole class, we got stuck next to Rome for hours, because the tire of our bus had ruptured. But today, nothing out of the ordinary happened so far.

And just in case you were wondering, nice story

Last edited by bakasi; 05/13/22 12:40 PM.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Barbara,

Wow. That's quite a mouthful for an adult, much less a child. Whatever possessed the adult(s) to choose a sketch involving a word like that? I'm impressed that you can remember, much less spell, that word all these years later.

And there is a bit of irony that after all of that, you did made a career in the medical field.

So far, so good for me today. I have no reason to expect otherwise. (I am neither triskaidekaphobic nor frigophobic.)

As an aside -- I don't know whether it is this way in other parts of the world, but in the U.S., at least, triskaidekaphobia was at least at one time common enough that tall buildings go right from the twelfth to the fourteenth floors. When I first learned of this as a child, my reaction was twofold:

1) Who are they trying to kid? Everyone knows that what they are labelling as the fourteenth floor is really the thirteenth.
2) Really?! Are enough adults really so superstitious that they would do this?

To be honest, my reaction hasn't changed much over the decades.

Thanks for the feedback.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Yeah, I don't know what possessed my teacher to make me learn that sketch. It is from Karl Valentin, one of the at least two comedians who prove that Germans do have a sense of humor, even though the rumors might tell you otherwise.

My favorite quote of the man : Mögen hätten wir schon wollen, aber dürfen haben wir uns nicht getraut.

Roughly translated that means: We would have liked to want to do it, but didn't dare to be allowed.

Last edited by bakasi; 05/13/22 01:49 PM.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Sounds like something a little kid might think when struggling to keep their hand out of the cookie jar.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard