Print Thread
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Every writer has one (at least one) story of theirs that holds their heart. Whether it’s because it’s just chock full of all your favorite tropes and works and flows so well or because it was an emotional journey for you, putting your own feelings and emotions behind what the characters were doing…whatever the reason, I wanna know!!

I know sometimes people feel uncomfortable recommending their own stories, but this is THE THREAD in which you need to! Why? Because I feel like if it’s a story you love so much, it’s definitely going to show in your writing, and I want to read it! And I’m sure others do to. So have at it! Pimp your own fic!

Tell us which of your written L&C fics holds a special place in your heart and why! (You can be vague if the reasons are too personal!)

Oh, and please, please, please add the links to either the boards TOC (gif and nfic, if applicable), the archive, or nfic archive so that people can go click and read!!

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
I’ll start!! (Though I’m sure I’ll be wordy enough and have some RL distractions that someone else will get there first. lol)

Away From the Sun
Gfic version
Nfic version

Back in 2006 is when I finished AFTS, and I’m sure it took me almost a full year to write…maybe less. This story, though I’ve written many in the last year that I would also call favorites, will always be my favorite, my baby. It was the longest thing I’d ever written, the first time I managed an a-plot, the first time I managed an original character, and… it was very much an exercise in self-love and therapy for me. I was (and still remain) so immensely proud of myself for this story. AltClark’s loneliness always tugged at my heart, and it was Yvonne Connell with her AMAZING Addicted and Damaged (nfic also available) that made me believe it was possible to have a depressed Clark…and really, it had to be AltClark.

I’ve mentioned before on the boards, I’m sure (and I’m not afraid to have it public now because we need to #endthestigma around mental health), but this fandom pretty much saved my life. I have a history of severe depression and anxiety, and this fandom was here for me through it all. It offered me love and acceptance and escape and hope and friends that I’ve literally been friends with for more than 25 years!!

So write what you know, they always say. Well… I did. I channeled my heart and my soul and my anguish into my AltClark and AltLois and created a world where he was depressed (and yes, suicidal), and he struggles to figure out why everything isn’t magically fixed when he finds his Lois. Don’t worry—there’s very much a happy ending!! But it took work for them to get there…especially since there was a pesky a-plot threatening to kill them! lol

So yeah… probably TMI, but I don’t care. Because this story will be forever the thing I’m most proud of. I hope you’ll read it if you haven’t already, and if you do/have, I would love to hear your feedback publicly or privately.

Sara love

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
If we're counting L&C only, my answer is always the same grin

No Excuse
No Excuse At All

They are my best-written L&C stories, the ones that made me feel like people were actually appreciating my writing, the ones that earned me my first Kerth nominations, the ones I still dearly remember and purposely revisit after all these years.

(What little stuff I've written since I got back into fandom is good too, but it doesn't have such a background. Those have been my favourite L&C works for 17 years, literally half my life; hard to get knocked off first place.)

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Ooh, I actually got there first! lol

And I’m going again…I just kinda wanted AFTS to stand by itself.

Since I’ve come back to fandom (again! And I’m ever so grateful that it’s has always been here to come back to!) in the last… almost a year(??)… I’ve been on a writing rampage! It feels amazing to be part of the fandom again and chatting with friends new and old and finding that the muse is still working after all these years! So I definitely have a few new favorites of mine:

Love Me Back to Life (cowritten with lovetvfan)
Gfic version
Nfic version

lovetvfan and I have been friends for…I don’t even know. Not 25 years, but at LEAST 15. She’s my online Twinnie and I love her dearly. I dragged her back into fandom with me, and we both reminisced about the old days and how we missed writing L&C fic…and then, like Barney and Ted in How I Met Your Mother said, “We should buy a bar!!!” … we said, “We should write a fic!!” It would be months before the story idea came to us and we started writing, a bit tentatively, not knowing how we’d go about this or what would happen or if our writing styles would even mesh. WELL…it was AMAZING. Our styles mesh so well that sometimes we can’t even remember who wrote what. It was really such a fun and wonderful process that exceeded all my expectations, and we produced something we’re both really proud of.

Yours to Discover
Gfic here
Nfic here

This one I love because it’s the version of L&C (of ones I’ve written) that I love and adore the most. This story was so fun and waffy and whimsical to write…it almost feels like magic and they make me so happy. I’m really proud of how it came out, and I’ve been really touched by the responses I’ve gotten from people. love

And… honorable mention…

Intoxicated
This is only available as nfic.

Well, holy cow if I ever thought I could write something like this, a romantic, epic romp that ended up having a whole relationship plot in it. And was way, way, way longer than I ever thought it would be (which is almost entirely KathyB’s fault clap). It’s the most steamy/sex scenes I’d ever written, and I think for that reason alone it’s an accomplishment? lol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ok, this was a very hard question. There are a lot of fics that still make me laugh, fics where I'm proud of the atmosphere I was able to achieve, and still other fics where the story's flaws might be too apparent but the world it creates is one I hope to revisit someday.

In the end, I have to go with What's Bugging You, a fic from waaaaay back which can be summarized as "A big bug gets into Lois and Clark's house". The sheer, unbridled absurdity of the premise speaks to a level of uninhibited writing that I struggle to recapture these days. In one sense, it was my pinnacle. Why is the roach the size of a person? How and why did it literally knock on their door? Even I don't know, and I'm the author! It's just there, unexplained, and the characters have to roll with it, and nevermind petty things like "logic". Also, I can't help but love the mental image of a sofa-cushion fort.

~•~
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
The one story I wrote that I like best? I guess that would be To Love And To Lose. I don't know how many evenings I spent wondering how to put that plot bunny into words. How many times I started the story and had to give up on it again. How many times I was about to give the plot bunny up for adoption. And then, suddenly, it worked. I managed to break them apart and give them a believable reconciliation when so many times before Clark was just refusing to talk to Lois.

There are some close seconds, though.

Hurt Before and its (in my eyes weaker) completion I Knew The Truth
The first story is definitely better IMO, but you really wouldn't want to leave that AU where Hurt Before stops. Completing that second story while my daughter was just a baby took a tremendous effort.

Then there is Only in my dreams which I initially wrote in German, partly because the song that inspired it was a German song. I at least liked it well enough to make the effort to translate it.

On the nfic site that would be These Old Dates Of Mine

Last edited by bakasi; 04/08/22 08:46 AM.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Sara,

What a wonderful thread. Thank you.

I'm glad these boards were there for you when you most needed them. Although I wasn't suicidal, they were very much a lifeline for me, as well. I joined the boards when my son was rather young. As many here know, he has some *major* special needs now. He had had even more then. (He no longer has a feeding tube or life-threatening allergies, for example.) Back then, I was working full time and trying to raise him by myself. (My now-ex-husband had abandoned us when our son was an infant.) I had almost no free time. I lived too far away from family and friends for them to provide much help, and my son's combination of physical and behavioral needs meant that years would go by during which I could find no qualified and willing respite providers.

These boards were about the only place where I could put aside, for a few minutes, being "Dr. M." or "Mom," and I could be just plain "Lynn." The few minutes I would steal here and there to write fanfic or to interact with others here were my lifeline to the outside world. (I was, of necessity, socially isolating for many years before COVID. In fact, I've found my COVID isolations to be a lot more pleasant and less strict than my isolations then -- at least during COVID, I am able to leisurely walk around in my yard.)

My own favourite fanfic of what I have written is a series in which Lois and Clark have a child with autism. Over the series, we see the family dynamics from every POV within the nuclear family and we see how the family dynamics change over time. The tone of the series ranges from the dramatic to the humorous. The series, in in-story-chronological-order, follows. If I had to pick one as my absolute favourite story, it is "Hitting Close to Home," since it is the one most fraught with emotion and since it discusses a topic that I don't think I have ever seen presented in any fiction, at least not in a realistic way: Physical abuse of a parent by a minor child. The story provides, in fictionalized form, a glimpse into what my life was like at the time and a major decision I had to make.

I've written the stories in such a way that they can stand on their own, but I think the reader would get a lot more out of them if they chose to read them in order.

Be well,
Lynn

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
My favorite fanfic that I wrote for Lois & Clark was Soul Mates, which starts as a Lois & Clark/Desperate Housewives crossover, then has two possible endings. It was a lot of fun to craft the details of the similar but different endings.

The fanfic that I had the best time writing was a crossover between Lost in Space and Earth 2, called Lost on Planet G889. Both are space shows but one is much more realistic than the other. It was fun to mix those worlds and I got to interact with more fans from both shows while posting it.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 04/08/22 12:57 PM.
T
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
T
Favouritest fic I've written would have to be the very first piece of fanfic I wrote, back in 2006, called 'A Seismic Mission.' It was for Stargate SG-1 and involved a super volcano, and was a general team fic with a similar level of angst that could be found in the episodes in regards to Sam and Jack. I'm fascinated by many things, and super volcanos are one of those things, so it was my favouritest fic as I was able to combine my fascination with four characters I had come to love. I haven't gone back and looked at it in years, concerned I'd find it poorly written and twitch over grammar, and word choices.

For L&C, and for fics that are completed, that would have to be Aftershocks. The HoL timeline at the end of the episode feels so incongruous, and while I know there's lots of other spots where many liberties were taken for the one hour tv show spot, this was always felt jarring. So one boring snowy day at work, I started writing with paper and a pen. Before I knew it, I had the entire first chapter written. As I kept going, there were specific plot points that became wedged into my mind, demanding to be written. One, the bit where Clark uses calamine lotion for mosquito bites, the second, when Clark and Jonathan have a chat on the porch, specifically this line:

"Maybe," Jonathan conceded. "Love is a powerful emotion, like fear and anger, and everyone reacts differently. All of those emotions will drive your decisions, make you act rashly, and when you calm, perhaps make you regret what happened."

Surprisingly, it was writing Henderson's part in this story that was my favourite, and also one of the driving forces behind continuing past the first chapter. I'm throwing the rest of this comment in spoiler tags as I know someone (wink wink) hasn't had the opportunity to read this yet...

Ok, so not really a huge plot spoiler, but as the writer, I kind of hoped people enjoyed the reveal.

I loved writing the chapter where Henderson shows up at Clark's to get his statement, sees the burns on his hands, and starts putting it together. The chapter where Henderson is home alone, mulling over the Clark/Superman identity, was one of the easiest things I've written. The final chapter, with Clark and Henderson talking on the roof was another that flew through the keyboard, and fairly early on in the writing process.

There is one fic that has the potential to take Aftershocks' space in my heart and it was started before it! It's been sitting on my hard drive, partially written, for far too long and if I can stop falling down every plot bunny rabbit hole I find, I'll dust it off and get it going again.

K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Anna—thanks for sharing! I definitely know what you mean, when you feel like people were actually appreciating and seeing your work! It’s hard when we don’t know how many people are really reading and enjoying when there isn’t that visible feedback. smile

I saw Lynn already bumped the fdk thread, so I’ll go read in a bit! I’m sure I’ve read these, but it’s been a hot minute. wink

Queen—Yay! Thanks for sharing! Good golly, I’m sure I read that back in the day, but I just read it again now, and LOL! So adorable and hilarious. My favorite lines:

Clark turned to her, then back to the chaos in the bathroom, then back to her. "How did that thing get in here?"

Lois shrugged. "It knocked, so I let it in."

And OMG Jimmy’s bragging and then Superman showing up to borrow Raid?? rotflol

Bakasi—I love the persistence! Somehow, it always means more when you work harder to achieve it. <3 And for the other story—I can only imagine trying to complete a story with a new baby!

I think I read To Love And To Lose when I came back last year and binge-read a ton of fic. lol But I think if I have, I’ll go ahead and re-read! I’ve put these all on my to-read list (which is getting long—yay!), and I’ll be sure to drop you a line and let you know what I thought. (Or I’ll bump the old fdk threads. wink)

Lynn—Thank you so much for sharing everything! I know I’ve heard from many others that the fandom was here for them in hard times; that just makes it mean so much more to me. I’m glad it was here for you, too. It sounds like a tremendously challenging time! I can imagine how hard it was with all the various factors!

I’ll put your stories on my ever-growing list!

scifiJoan—Crossovers aren’t generally my thing, but this one sounds intriguing! I’ll have to give it a look! Thanks for sharing your favorites with us!

Toomi—I can’t imagine who you’re talking about!! lol Thank you for the spoiler tag—much appreciated! A *definitely* thank you for the reminder that I was going to read this after my Kerth reading was through! I’m very much looking forward to this one. hyper

Keep sharing, everyone! I love hearing about everyone’s stories and whys. love

Sara smile

Features Writer
Features Writer
Oh boy, this is hard! After some deliberation, my favorite fic is Love Without End, Amen. It's the third story in my Rubber Ducky Trilogy. It actually occurs before the other two, although it was written last. It was written in response to a Kerth Challenge and as a tribute to Eddie Jones. As I wrote it, it brought back memories of the first times I saw Lois and Clark. And it also brought back fond memories of my own dad, who passed during LnC. I didn't realize how much like Jonathan my own dad was until I wrote it. The other two stories are Rubber Ducky, a very short comedy and We're All Alone, another story based on a song although this one is Lois-centered.

I think my second-favorite is The Nun's Tale, a response to the Canterbury Tales of Metropolis Challenge. Mostly because it was my first fanfic, and the support I got here on the boards encouraged me to write more. Sister Mary Frances takes center stage in two other stories, although those are earlier. Purists may think that they are in a different universe than The Nun's Tale, since in those Mary Frances definitely knows Clark's secret. It takes place during Just Say Noah.
Mission on Fifth Street occurs during and just after Nightfall.
Mission of Friendship occurs just after The Ides of Metropolis.

And another favorite is my first crossover, Starmen, where Clark and the clone get some extraterrestrial help from the Starman, Paul Forrester. It takes place during Vatman. It has three posts on that thread, since it was posted all at once. I haven't yet edited it to submit to the archives.

Last edited by cuidadora; 04/10/22 10:33 AM. Reason: link correction

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
My favorite story is Breaths of Passion, for two reasons. First, I never felt there was a good basis for Lex's obsession with Lois and a lot of the series hung on that obsession. I could see Lex wooing Lois as a way to one-up Superman but a psychopath wouldn't have any problems cutting his losses when his self-interest is at stake. It would take an obsession to drive Lex to the edge and beyond and I think the story gives a plausible explanation that doesn't contradict canon. The second reason I like this one most is that I think I kept Lex true to character in the story, which has always been hard for me.

Last edited by Shallowford; 04/10/22 05:28 PM.

Shallowford
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
What a cool idea! My first thought was (this one), then I thought (that one), then (this other one), and I almost gave up. It's not unlike asking a parent to name his/her favorite child.

But, after some thought, I decided that Play Some Mountain Music fit the bill. It combined two of my favorite things - murder mysteries and music - and allowed me to show off a bit on both. As I mentioned in one of the feedback posts, I held down some of the technical stuff (the music part itself, the stagecraft of the band, the sound system information), but still let enough in so that no one posted feedback about "Hey, I have no idea what {this thing} is!" And I included some angst about being on the road away from family and friends and the difficulty of maintaining a long-distance romantic relationship. On top of all that, it was fun to utilize the new band members and Lucy Lane in the drama plot. The story was nominated for a Kerth in 2009, although there was too much quality competition to allow a win.

And here's the Archive version. Please enjoy.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Okay, I keep promising Sara I'm going to reply to this thread and then forgetting/putting it off because it's so hard to choose and feels disloyal to my other stories. But here we go anyway!

My favorite stories from first go 'round in the fandom is the Playing Series. It's just so fun. There's basically zero angst, and it has all my favorite fluffy fanfic tropes -- friends to lovers! fake boyfriend! only one bed! Also each of the four stories is mid-length and can be pretty easily binged in one sitting, but all together the series is an epic that I could get lost in for days. I had SO much fun writing it and it meant so much to me at the time that everyone else loved it too. Playing the Part and Playing for Keeps each won an individual Kerth for Best Mid-length Story (2003 and 2004) and the series won Best Series in 2004.

Playing the Part
Playing to Win
Playing for Keeps
Playing by Heart

My other favorite story from back in the day is Tea Totaled -- both because it's an adorable, hilarious story and because it was the first story I ever wrote with Kathy, and is the most fun I've ever had writing anything. We laughed ourselves sick and still routinely reminisce about the nights we stayed up way too late writing and laughing until our stomachs hurt. Recently Kathy unearthed some IRC chat logs from when we were plotting this, and we howled with laughter both at the content and how our nightly chats still sound almost the same nearly twenty years later. It won the Kerth for Best Comedy in 2004, and it will forever be my favorite comedy. In fact, I might just go reread it right now. wink

Tea Totaled

My favorite new story is Come to Me. It's the story that brought me back to the fandom 15 years after drifting away, and the story that opened the floodgates and got me writing again after more than a decade. It's a much more mature story than my early stories both in content/characterization and in writing style. I'm really proud of the writing I did on that story, especially given how scared I was that after so much time without writing, I wasn't capable of doing it anymore. I think some readers have shied away from reading it because of the premise -- the fact that the story opens with Lois and Clark divorced. But I hope that anyone who was hesitant to try it for that reason will give it a shot, because it's absolutely an epic love story for our favorite characters that proves nothing can keep them apart, even themselves. And the focus of the story is not on them being separated but on how they are able and willing to do the work to repair their relationship and rebuild their family. A heartfelt thanks to everyone who nominated it for a Kerth this year. That meant so much to me. I love this version of the characters -- and their children -- so much, and I'm glad they resonated with readers too! It's not archived yet, but here's the link to the TOC.

Come to Me TOC

And a special bonus PS -- the story I'm working on now, just might be my all-time favorite story. I'm writing with Kathy again, and this time we've created an elseworld epic that has completely stolen our hearts and imaginations. We are still hard at work on it, but hopefully it will be done in a couple months and we'll be ready to share.

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Top Banana
Top Banana
My favorite(s) depend on which fandom - for L&C it's probably Lois & Cl - Kal-El

For U.F.O. it's A Dog's Day - Straker is the same one as in Lois & Cl - Kal-El and the other Planes series stories so I personally consider it part of the Planes series but it isn't a crossover.

And for the Superman Movieverse: Happy Hour at Dulin's Bar (Which is part of the Shadows in Darkness series)

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It took me awhile to think of my two favorites. Ants at a Picnic a sweet little story that got the Visitor series started. It was one of my first fics and had most of the main characters. Read it again always makes me laugh!

On the other end of the spectrum is my longest story Airport clocking in at over two hundred thousand words... yikes. Now that was a monster, but oh so much love went into writing it.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Sara,

thank you so much for starting this thread. I've been going back and forth since it popped up but a very recent bit of FDK to a very dear-to-me story made me finally take the plunge.

I am most certainly of a mind with Terry about which story of mine to push front and center. They are like children, how are you supposed to chose? Yes, they cater to different moods, serve different needs, have different histories, and each one is valid. So, what to do, what to do...?

Well, I finally settled on a story of mine that's fulfills the most basic of needs when reading LnC fic, or so I've been taught. After all, we even have an acronym for this (and no it's not the ARGH! wink ) and a Kerth category. It's WAFFy, it's the storys that explore Lois and Clark's budding relationship. Stories which lay the hearts of Lois and Clark open and at the same time give the readers a fun ride like they haven't had in a long while. It's also a story which happened because of a theme-challenge and the crazy idea of an author to try something that wasn't done before. Which might work or end up being just another story. A story where I had to stretch myself quite a bit as a budding writer. And a story that grew from a rather simple idea and funny what-if to a whole *thing* that sent Lois and Clark onto a relationship journey that most definitely left them in a place that they didn't expect to be in when things first started. It's also a story about Honeymoon in Metropolis, a Season One episode that's also quite dear to me. And yes, before you ask, several complaints regarding the story's bingability and resulting late nights didn't hurt, either, but they mainly helped me gather the confidence that it's not just me who likes this story.

So, why the longwinded introduction? Well..., you'll need the nfic-password to get to said story because it's Don't You Dare! and lives happily on the dark side of the boards.

But since we're on the light side of the boards, I also should offer up a story that's uniquely on the light side of the boards. Which, believe it or not, was the much more difficult choice, after accepting that the primary offer is on the dark side. For one, I sincerely hope that my most-favoritest fic is one that hasn't been written yet (I'm thinking of a very specific one, not just "the next one"). But, from what we have out there, I wanted to chose a fic that's fun, and different, sets them up for a new ride, and is also complete in and of itself. So, I'm going to go with The Wild-Goose Chase.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Cuidadora—Adding to my list! While I’m sorry to know your dad passed, what a wonderful thing to realize that he and Jonathan were so alike. I’m looking forward to reading this series! The other ones sound interesting too!! Thank you for sharing!!

Shallowford—okay, this sounds amazing! Because I totally agree with all of that…why was he so obsessed with Lois and how does it make sense?? Part of me always thought that maybe he DID get dosed with 100% of the pheromone compound, and *that* was the reason? In any case, I’m definitely interested to read this!!

Terry—Always good to see you around! This sounds really fun! My list sure is getting longer, but that’s a good thing! (Just that I’m in the middle of getting ready to move, so of course my muse is hyperactive when I have less time. lol) Thank you for sharing!

Annie—Yay! Oh, I adore the Playing Series so much!! It was for sure one of the things I read close to first when coming back last year. Tea Totaled came a bit later in my re-read list. And omg… you know my feelings on Come to Me and WTHW! GAHHHH. All the feels! LOL

Dandello—Ooh! I’ll have to check out the L&C ones! Okay…omg… I just went over to read the Prologue and the challenge thread that spawned it and…OMG definitely will have to read this one sooner than later!

Morgana—Yay!! More to add to the list…and more than 200,000 words! :wow: Go you!! I just checked and my longest (AFTS) is just under 90,000! Thanks for sharing your favorites!

Michael—YAY! I’ll have to check out your other favorite for sure, since you know I just spent SO MUCH TIME (BUT ALL SOOOO WORTH IT) reading Don’t You Dare!! Thank you for sharing the why and a “light side” story. laugh

Sara smile

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard