Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#290818 01/17/22 02:07 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I learned yesterday that KenJ, a longtime member of the LnC fandom and of this board, passed away on January 2, 2022 after a 2-year battle with cancer.

KenJ Obituary

I never met Ken in real life, but I communicated with him quite a bit over the years since I joined this board, and he beta-read (and wrote some scenes in) my story Panem.

Ken was very knowledgeable about a lot of subjects and wrote some very good Lois and Clark fanfic.

He will be missed by those who knew him, both online and in real life.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Annie B. #290819 01/17/22 02:52 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I’ve only just heard this sad news. Even though I knew it was coming - one of Ken’s final wishes was to get his last story onto the Archive before he died and over the past few months we’d all worked hard to achieve that for him - it’s never easy news to hear.

I only ever knew Ken through our dealings with the Archive. But he was always courteous, a true gentleman. He was a quiet, gentle force within the fandom and I know his friends on this forum will miss him dearly.

LabRat

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Annie B. #290820 01/17/22 03:53 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh man. frown I'm so sorry to hear this. Ken helped with a couple of my earlier stories and was always so nice. May he rest in peace.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Annie B. #290821 01/17/22 04:05 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Thank you for sharing this news, although I, too, am saddened by it.

Ken and I had corresponded a bit some years back. He would sometimes send me links to articles or videos on autism; I always appreciated his thoughtfulness.

Rest in peace, Ken.

Annie B. #290827 01/17/22 10:13 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I knew Ken only through the boards, but I am glad I did get to know him just a little. The recap of his life was actually quite touching. And I'm pleased that what I suspected, that Ken was a fellow Christian, was confirmed in the recap. I anticipate seeing him in Heaven and discussing the different ways we each leaked our faith into our stories.

I, too, am saddened by his passing. Ken and I shared some knowledge of firearms and their use, nomenclature, and capabilities. We also shared a desire to extend the Lois and Clark story beyond the four seasons of TV episodes. Of course, that's the desire behind pretty much all of the fanfic published here. This fandom has lost an excellent writer and a true gentleman.

May his family be comforted in their grief.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Annie B. #290828 01/17/22 10:40 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I wish I had known him, but, like Terry, take comfort in knowing he is now in heaven.

I will certainly take a look at his fics. I believe I had read a few of them a while back and had enjoyed them. With the current weather, I think I'll fix some hot cocoa and read one or two tonight and send a prayer for his family.

Thanks for informing us.

Annie B. #290830 01/18/22 04:38 AM
B
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
B
It's sad to hear this. While I never came into contact with him (guess I joined the party post his active years here) I remember to have enjoyed reading his Matchmaker Universe tales - they were an excellent expanding to the L&C universe and displayed his knowledge on a wide range of stuff. The fandom lost a great writer and I'm sure he will be missed.

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.
Annie B. #290832 01/18/22 05:36 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm sad to hear this. He helped me with a few of my stories and was always a kind and patient beta-reader.

May he rest in peace.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Annie B. #290845 01/18/22 10:06 AM
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
I I'm sad to hear this news. I'm impressed by all Ken did with his life. He was a positive presence on the boards.

Annie B. #290850 01/18/22 11:28 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The memories I have of KenJ started in May 2012. He sent a PM to me with a question about one of my stories. From there the conversation continued until a month before his death.

KenJ was a very intelligent and interesting man. Our email conversations ranged from neurotoxins to the proper way to disarm an opponent to the way to debug a computer from a rather nasty virus. Whew! He made me laugh with wry observations about me always including delightful meals when Lois and Clark got together for a date. Some of those discussions became pretty intense because each writer has a different way to present a character. I learned a lot from those conversations.

He loved writing about Lois and Clark! Many a time he would send over a chapter of a new story for me to beta. At the end of each email he would say, "Just in time for lunch!" His Matchmaker series was intricate and long, but I got a hoot out of reading it. Especially during long flights. As soon as the plane touched down or the boat docked I would PM him to say thanks for the enjoyable read.

Although we never met I will always think of him as a close friend. As Labrat mentioned, he was a quiet and gentle force on the boards and will be greatly missed. I have no doubt his able assistance helped a lot of us climb out of a deep plot hole.

He was a great help to me personally, especially when Ted had his heart attack a few years ago. He shared tips on proper exercise and diet which helped Ted get back on the road to health. Little things like that I will be eternally grateful for.

Good-bye Big Brother, I will work hard to write Lois and Clark stories that would make you proud.

Last edited by Morgana; 01/22/22 09:16 PM.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Annie B. #290857 01/18/22 07:10 PM
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
I I enjoyed his work. Rest in peace Sir.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Annie B. #290889 01/23/22 10:24 AM
D
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
D
I didn't have any contact with KenJ, but my condolences to those who did. I enjoyed his Matchmaker stories, and I know he will be missed.

Not all those who wander are lost.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard