Print Thread
#290439 12/19/21 09:47 PM
A
AnnieM Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
And they all lived happily ever after. wink Only the epilogue left now.

Last edited by AnnieM; 12/19/21 09:47 PM.

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Yeah! They got married!

Columnist
Columnist
This was such a satisfying and fulfilling ending. I know that she wanted her "divorce annulment" but I think the kids needed this to see their family was truly reunited. I loved this journey!

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Thank you so much for this very enjoyable read at the end of the year. It was a pleasurable escape from real life. I loved every bit of their journey back toward marriage. I'm so glad they were able to work through their differences and come out stronger.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
R
Ray Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
R
AnnieM,

As I promised when you first began to post your story below is my feedback now that the story is complete. Please note that I have not read any other comments so there may be duplicate observations.

I was, like most of your readers I'm sure, shocked when I read that Lois and Clark were no longer married. I liked how you slowly, bit by bit explained the circumstances that led up to the divorce, similar to how a marriage disintegrates, not with one big blow-up but an insidious chipping away of the foundation until the edifice crumbles.

I felt saddened when I found out that they had lost two children and that the third pregnancy was a difficult one as well. So it was no surprise to learn that Lois had developed postpartum depression and that it seemed to lead to hurt feelings on both sides. I think I understand where Lois was coming from; with her depression in full swing seeing Clark taking charge of the baby might look like he didn't trust her with her own baby. I'm surer that, from Clark's point of view, he was doing everything he could to lessen the stress Lois surely had to be feeling, and, since he is Superman, he could do more to support her without breaking a sweat.

I was heartened, for a moment, when they went to counseling but when you showed that, even though Clark thought they were making progress, the divorce papers came through, devastating Clark in the process. I can certainly understand how the first year or so after the breakup that their relationship was strained. I'm reasonably sure Clark felt betrayed by her, leading him on by going to counseling, then following through with the divorce, I know I would be.

It also showed that, even though they were divorced they could work together for the benefit of their children. What did surprise me was when Clark turned up at Lois's house after a bad rescue that led them to bed. I guess I can see it from Clark's point of view; he needed comforting so, because of who he is, he needed someone who knows all about him. I'm less understanding of Lois's motivation. Okay, so she wants to help because she claims to still love Clark but that doesn't mean they have to be intimate, does it? She could have just as easily gone downstairs and comforted him on the couch.

So things are moving along nicely. Lois and Clark are no longer partners at the Planet, Clark is teaching and writing books while she's a special columnist and author as well. They share the kids three and a half days each and life is good until JP (I assume this stands for Jonathan Perry) mentions that Liam's mother was over at Daddy's and she gets all jealous. Oh she tries to be subtle but Clark knows her tricks and calls her on it. Lois seems to have fallen into old, bad habits, I'm thinking Toni Taylor, Linda King, and of course Mayson Drake. She doesn't want Clark for herself but God forbid any other female would express an interest in him. It had to be ironic when Clark told her that Liam's mom was waiting for her WIFE to join them in Metropolis!

I was cheering for Clark when he told her that, sooner or later, one of them was going to meet someone and they needed to talk about how to handle that now. Of course he then goes on to cut himself off at the knees by telling her that she is the only woman for him, she has been and always will be that woman, thereby giving her all the power in the relationship.

I was heartened by them agreeing to go to counseling again after expressing their feelings that they might wish to get back together, though even that doesn't seem to be going too smoothly. While they both seem sincere about their desire to get back together Clark still seems to have doubts about her sincerity and I can see why. Lois seems to have everything going for her and why would she want to mess it up? She has her kids without a husband underfoot, especially a super one who might have to leave at any moment. She has her career and her freedom plus she seems to be able to satisfy her physical needs periodically with no strings attached. Is it any wonder that Clark is afraid she's got one foot out the door already and doesn't want to set himself up for a letdown like the last time they were in counseling?

The events around Halloween look to be a positive sign which showed Lois slowly coming to the realization that she wants her family together after all this time apart.

There is another potential for conflict with regards to telling Mattie the secret. As seems to be the case Clark is reluctant to take his daughter into his confidence while Lois knows all too well that the longer they wait the worse it could be, especially if Mattie finds out on her own. But since this discussion takes place only 100 or so pages in I guess we'll see but I am concerned. As you showed later Mattie did figure it out on her own, thereby preventing Clark from using the speech he'd been practicing for ages. Mattie is obviously a smart little girl because she was able to put together her father's disappearances, with lousy excuses, her mother's clues and come up with the secret, though she didn't seem too thrilled with the knowledge. I wonder if all Lois's assurances that all would be well will turn out to be wrong. Luckily Clark's fears were unfounded and Mattie took the information calmly and, at the end, the love of her father was all she needed to know.

Their date and the meeting with Martha after really filled in a lot of the blanks in what I already knew. Your description of what they went through was heartbreaking and now I know why Lois felt the need to, as Martha said, take a step back so they both could heal. I'm not sure I agree with that but the idea makes sense.

Over the course of a number of weeks, Lois's needs and desires change. She sees Clark as the man she loves but also as the man she wants to come home to. She wants their family whole again, which is great. I like that they continued their counseling. It shows that they don't have all the answers and need some help in determining the correct path forward for them both. When Lois asks Clark to move back home I was very happy. It was obvious that, while the arrangement was working, it was not optimal. Mattie and JP were happy enough, but I could see the excitement they had once it was announced that Clark would be returning home.

Of course there were still issues regarding the children. Mattie, especially, saw Clark's not selling his house immediately as a 'fall back' plan by him in case things didn't work out. You told us why that was so but Mattie didn't know that and it affected her perception of the reconciliation. Once Clark tells her that Grandma Martha was going to be living in the house when not in Smallville her fears are removed and she sees her parent's relationship as more permanent.

There are a couple of things I wish you had touched on in greater detail. The first is Mattie's desire for pierced ears. Lois, Martha, and Mattie discussed it but there was no resolution. Did she get her ears pierced? Could she? Inquiring minds like mine want to know. The second item I wish you had gone into greater detail was the conversation between Mattie and Clark after Lois and Mattie had their talk regarding Lois's injury. It seemed to me that Mattie felt that Clark loved Lois more than his daughter because Mattie had hurt Lois and he immediately jumped her for her carelessness. Of course, all three of them were at fault, as you showed, but Mattie seemed to be taking her part in the situation more to heart. It looked to me that she felt her father would never forgive her and that he did not love her as much. The next scene showed the aftermath of that conversation and, based on Mattie's reactions, Clark's talk did not settle the issue. I would have liked to see what was said so I could get a better idea of the dynamic between father and daughter at that point in time.

Towards the end of the story, you brought up an interesting point. Why didn't H.G. Wells make an appearance? Clark comes up with a potential answer and, I feel, it is a reasonable one. They were meant to go through the trials and tribulations they did because those trials were not the result of outside influences, re: Tempus. I feel there may be another, possibly valid, reason. If, as it seemed to be, that H.G. Wells' mission was the preservation of the timeline so that Utopia would be founded then Lois and Clark were no longer needed to make that happen. Specifically, Wells told Lois and Clark that Utopia was founded by Superman and Lois's DESCENDANTS. Therefore, now that there are descendants, the happiness, even the relationship between Lois and Clark was no longer a priority. Now if something or someone were to threaten Mattie and or JP then Wells would probably show up. I don't know if my theory holds water but I feel it is an interesting thought exercise.

The story ended beautifully. Lois and Clark are back together and, it seems, most everyone is overjoyed by that. What surprised me was Lois's decision to legally take Clark's name. It was a nice gesture and, I think it told Clark in no uncertain terms, that they were married in the most traditional way. It was a perfect ending to a wonderfully complex and enjoyable story and I thank you for writing it!

Ray

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard