Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thank you for this second story part, which was an excellent mixture of realism and optimism.

Your depictions of what it is like to keep parenting while being totally exhausted rang true. I've been there myself more times than I can count, and I would not be at all surprised to learn that you were writing from personal experience. If so, I hope you can get a breather and more time for yourself. Either way, though, well done in capturing the experience in words.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Thanks for the feedback, Lynn. Yeah, I'm writing from experience. My daughter was very much like Maggie. And the hard-to-read state of this second part was due to my son loving to wake up at inopportune moments. But I fixed it this morning.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
T
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
T
Terrific story, Bakasi. It's an excellent insight into the male psyche who gets blindsided by a wife who has HAD ENOUGH ALREADY! Been there, done that, have a mental scars.

My favorite line:

I wouldnโ€™t miss it for the world to feel her body snuggled against mine, to taste her lips one last time before we say goodnight. I have her back, but I need to be very careful not to lose her to the stress of motherhood. I shall never again forget that sheโ€™s a superhero in her own right.

That's right, Clark, be careful. She married you because she loves you, but it's possible to injure that love by inattention, lack of interest in her world, and leaving her to deal with the pressures of everyday life all by herself. No marriage should work like that, and it took me quite a while to figure that out. I was blessed that my wife stayed and helped me work through my own idiocy. Marriage is supposed to be a covenant partnership where the husband and wife prioritize each other and fully support each other. I think we're just about there.

As John Donne wrote, "No man is an island." He also gave Ernest Hemingway the "bell tolls" line for one of his novels. Apparently even the best borrow from others.

And in case anyone was wondering, you have met my challenge with fortitude and skill. I can't imagine writing a better story for this subject. Thank you.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Features Writer
Features Writer
Parenting can certain be a challenge and make anyone wish they had super powers... And sometimes a little time away to recharge is necessary and vital to a healthy home.
Anyway, glad they reconciled at the end. And I loved their son. A perfect mixture of Clark's caring and Lois' stubbornness.

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Thank you very much for your feedback, Terry. I'm glad my story meet your expectations, though I thought you had something different in mind. Like more conflict, more snapping and a longer way back to a stable relationship.

When you posted your challenge, I remembered this comic: You should have asked

I don't think that Clark would be quite as inattentive as the husband portrayed there.

I liked the poem, though I can't honestly claim that I completely understand it. I guess I'll have to look up a few words, when I find the time.

Blueowl, thanks for reading and commenting. I'm relived that you liked my impromptu kids. The last few weeks were rather stressful and I didn't have much time for character development or writing or anything else for that matter. Glad that Nate worked out okay for you.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Bakasi.

Motherhood is tough under the best of circumstances, but when your husband is out saving the planet, you are left alone to save the family. That's a big job and Lois was handling it and working all on her own. It takes a special kind of woman to do that. But as has been brought out, even the best and most strong-willed will cry out for help. Lois did that and thank goodness Clark listened.

Maggie reminds me of my niece. (Sigh...)

Nate is an smart, brave young man. He is going to be something when he grows up.

Thanks for writing this story, it came from the heart.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Loved this second part, thank you for sharing it with us. I love Clark getting to walk a mile (or seven) in Lois' shoes. Parenting is certainly not for the faint of heart! Lois' exhaustion reminds me of when my girls were little and my husband was working mandatory overtime every weeknight AND Saturdays. It wasn't his fault but boy, it sure felt like single parenting in some ways. (He would get off work basically just in time to spend an hour with us before tucking the kids into bed, then mostly just go to sleep himself so he could wake up early and do it all again.)

So glad Lois recognized that this isn't the way Clark wants things to be and that she's willing to talk it out and listen. For the record, Clark has an excellent idea in taking a nice long vacation!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
I really enjoyed this! Especially the look at hectic parenthood in Lois and Clark's world! smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
๐Ÿ†2024 Kerth Award Posts ๐Ÿ†.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Thank you all so much for your feedback.

And it's really good to see someone return, KSaraSara. Too many members have Breen swallowed up by real life.

K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
And it's really good to see someone return, KSaraSara.

Awww thanks!! blush wave It's REALLY good to be back. smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
๐Ÿ†2024 Kerth Award Posts ๐Ÿ†.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
(This is a review for the whole story since I read it all at once.)

This was really well-written and emotional and felt like a really grounded take on Clark and Lois being parents. I also like showing Superman as more vulnerable and as being able to be overwhelmed and weakened without the use of his signature weaknesses like Kryptonite. All in all, a powerful story.

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm glad you liked the story

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Finally got around to reading this one. It's beautiful! I love the parallel between Clark being buried under a building with no sunlight and Lois being buried under housework with no help. It's very well done, and it makes me want to hug my own Mom. ^_^'

~โ€ข~

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard