Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
Ok, let me have it. wink

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
First of all, welcome back to the boards, Annie. I sure hope this is not just a quick visit to post this story and then you'll vanish again. Because, yeah, the boards still exist, but they're a lot quieter than you remember them being. And it would be so great if after the gradual decline of active members there would actually be some members who returned to keep the boards.

But now to your story. I liked the setup. Lois and her children, Superman. And then the mood killer- Clark is Lois' ex husband? What? I'm glad you had Kathy B write you a whole story, instead of just this scene. How did they end up divorced? And are they getting back together? Please? Pretty please? grovel

So many questions. I for one am ready for the next part.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Merriwether
Merriwether
So you know what I have missed during all our many, many hours of chatting about this story over the last couple months? Being able to use the reaction emoji that are part of these boards. So to that end:

smile1 hyper clap dance

party

Woo hoo, you're posting!

I can't wait to see everyone's reaction.

Hold on to your hats, FoLCs! You're in for a wonderful treat. love

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Ex husband? EX HUSBAND!

Oh man, where did that come from? This opening chapter described a perfect day in the life of Lois and Clark over a decade after the wedding. Where/when did a divorce happen? Talk about starting things off with a bang.

Welcome back to the boards, perhaps this will encourage others to stop by for a visit.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Welcome back!!

I’m saving my spot for longer feedback because…well, I got to see this part as a sneak peek and I’m still recovering from my broken heart. whinging I need to wait a little closer to part 2’s posting to re-read part 1.

Still crying but deliriously happy to be back and also have you back too,

Sara mecry

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wow. What an impact.

I enjoyed Lois' analysis of her children, how they are at once similar and quite distinct. I, too, am dying to know why Clark is an 'X' husband ('X' as in "crossed out"). This was obviously not a short relationship, and they're still communicating, so what on earth went wrong? Was it Clark's fault, or Lois' fault, or no one's fault? What stresses tore them apart? What is Clark doing for a living now? Is their current relationship fraught with guilt? Anger? Frustration? Or are they both just tired of the hassle?

Most interesting, he said with a twirl to his mustache. Welcome back and where's the next chapter?!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
A
AnnieM Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
Thanks so much, everyone! I can’t wait to post tomorrow’s chapter. It definitely answers a lot of questions about how we got here!

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
You know how much I love this chapter and how excited I am about you writing L&C again… but I’ll reiterate it here! I absolutely love obsessively checking the boards to see when a new part has been posted, reading everyone’s fdk, and seeing some familiar faces on the boards. It’s like college again! So thank you for giving us all something to look forward to; it’s a nice feeling!

But back to the story… Lois and Clark seem to have a little issue here. The title of ex-husband carries lots of history with it. I’m very interested to hear how they got to this point, and I’m very excited to watch how you’ll (hopefully!) fix it wink

Excited for tomorrow!

Tracey

K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
She was still on staff at The Daily Planet, but as a special contributor it had been years since she’d covered things like local house fires as a beat reporter.

She shook her head with chagrin when instead of a tape recorder, her hand closed around her iphone.

Love the details about the books and this, grounding us in the ... well, not exactly present, but closer to our reality than the show was. smile

Lois tapped her thumb on the end recording button. Before she could say anything else, he dropped his voice to a volume only she could hear and whispered. “I have to get back to work. See you at six?”

I loved this when I first read it because... aww sweet moment... butnow that I know the end of this part... mecry

She tossed a wave at Jimmy, sitting at the desk that had once been hers, talking on the phone and taking notes. He nodded in acknowledgment but never stopped scribbling.

Love this detail and that she now has a private office. Things are different but still familiar enough to be comfortable. (Until the end of this part...)

parents were fined a dollar for every minute they were late. A couple of dollars would not break her budget, but the principle of it galled her. She despised being late.

Bahaha! I agree, Lois!

“Keep dreaming,” Lois said before she could even close the door.

“That’s not fair!” Mattie protested. “Hannah’s mom lets her ride in the front seat. See?” Mattie gestured with her arm to the sleek red BMW where her friend was currently climbing into the passenger seat.

Lois bit back a retort about friends and jumping off bridges that apparently came pre-programmed into the brains of all women and activated once they became mothers.

Haha, I love this, all of it! And I love the description of the children, so very Lois and Clark, but in their own way. smile

lunchbox on the counter where she wouldn’t forget to empty it and leave it to fester until Monday morning. Not that she ever did that. Never.

Haha! I've never either... whistle

She unlocked two deadbolts and a lock on the handle before swinging it wide to reveal her ex husband, red cape and tights replaced by a button down shirt, sweater vest, khakis, and horn rimmed glasses.

“Hi,” Clark said politely. “Are the kids ready?”

This kills me on so many levels! whingingwhingingwhingingwhingingwhingingwhingingwhingingwhinging

Ex... whinging and that clearly it's been long enough that they're politely civil and...and...they're just acting so normal, like it's part of their normal routine. And...and...that's not okay! whingingwhingingwhinging And what happened? And why do they both seem to be "okay" about it?? (I mean, obviously they're not... they can't be... else we wouldn't have a story... right? But still!)

Hopping off to the next part... during which I'll hope to feel better, but I know I'll just feel worse, won't I?

Sara (who, as much as she cries about it, does love angst as long as the toys are fixed at the end...)

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

R
Ray Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
R
Hi AnnieM,
Like the others who posted, welcome back to the boards! I thought I'd throw in a quick comment to be followed up after the story is complete. With multipart stories like this, I like to wait until all parts are posted then read them. I really hate cliffhangers! grin Like your other commenters, I too wonder how Clark became an EX. The soulmates thing would seem to preclude that but, who knows. I'll be looking forward to the why of that happening and also looking forward to seeing if they get back together by the end. Thanks for writing and posting!
Ray

Last edited by Ray; 11/17/21 03:13 PM. Reason: Added content.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard