Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Features Writer
Features Writer
Glad she's finally, /finally/ seeing sense. And I'm glad he blew up on her. Sometimes it's necessary. And yay Perry, sticking to his guns and frankly laying down the truth.

I did find it really touching that even Bobby Bigmouth is annoyed with her.

I do wonder if Bobby knows the truth.

Anyway, really liked the rescue ^_^

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Terry,
I love the fact that Perry is always so far ahead of Lois. Good for him. hail
In my opinion, this chapter certainly establishes itself to begin the "Taming of the Shrew." And, Clark definitely is capable of doing so. It will not be a pretty picture as Lois attempts to resolve the conflict between them. cat

Features Writer
Features Writer
Clark's reaction and conditions were perfect, as was his timing. He gave her time and space to change her mind, which she didn't do on her own. I also found it amusing that she didn't listen to Lucy, Perry, Jimmy, or even Clark until he gave her an ultimatum as Superman.

I'm glad Perry backed up Clark. It's long past time she understood the consequences of her nuclear overreaction.

Clark's explanation to his parents of why he did what he did is concise, emotional, and poignant. Looking forward to finding out whether or not it's going to take a lot for Clark to trust her enough to even believe her apology is sincere.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Wow. It looks like everyone who commented - Bakasi, Blueowl, Supesfan, and Cuidadora - all think that Clark has had enough and shouldn't take it any more. And Perry is getting some love, too, for which he and I both thank you. I wanted him to be the voice of reason in this tale, and he seems to be coming across as I intended.

The "Taming of the Shrew?" In that play, the hero pursued and conquered the heroine because of a bet (and her father's wealth). Not sure that applies, although the turning point several have indicated is indeed a turning point and things will change going forward. We'll see how that works itself out in the next few chapters. True, Lois has done nothing up to now to induce Clark to trust her, and in typical Lois dive-in-without-checking-the-water-level fashion, she'll do something that will be both in and out of character. You'll see it when it happens.

Right now we have the next chapter to peruse. Onward and upward! Wait, no, it's Up, Up, and Away!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Features Writer
Features Writer
Wow, so Lois does seem to understand how much she's messed up, but I doubt she has grasped how much she may have lost because of it yet.....

Anyway, I'm glad Clark is being honest about his feelings and how upfront he's being about his fears with Rachel who continues to show how considerate and patient she is. She's really a great woman. Also, that kiss from Clark at the end sloppy So sweet ^_^

Looking forward to more.

Features Writer
Features Writer
Another delightful chapter with advancing the story both in Metropolis and Smallville. Nice banter and meal between Lois and Lucy. I'm enjoying Lucy in this story.

Rachel and Clark's banter definitely reminiscent of what Clark once had with Lois. Very sweet scene in the truck where Clark opens up and is honest with Rachel. It was beautifully done, although I now have more questions about where Clark is heading both professionally and personally. Looking forward to where you take this story next.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Terry

Okay, me bad. I meant "Taming of the Shrew" literally, not in the Shakespearean sense. eek If I stop replying in the middle of the night, I am sure to be more coherent!

I. too, loved this part. I love Rachel. With her, what you see is what you get. She is no drama queen and doesn't deserve a "rebound" relationship. Clark is trying to reach out to Rachel while sorting out his own feelings. Good for Clark. Can't wait to hear (read) the "Please forgive me Clark" speech when Lois tries it out loud to Clark!

My inbox is anxiously waiting for the next part. Keep writing and I will keep reading. thumbsup

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Time for response to feedback before chapter 19! Which will answer some questions and pose new ones.

Blueowl, I wrote in the author's notes at the beginning that I thought Rachel was criminally underused (that's a pun for those with a taste for such). I wanted to portray her as a serious alternative romantic choice for Clark. We'll see how that works out fairly soon. Lois will also be faced with the level of damage she's inflicted on Clark soon, too. And it won't be a chuckle-fest, either.

Cuidadora, I'm glad you like Lucy in this narrative. I needed a female voice of reason to balance Perry's gentle counsel so Lois couldn't insist to herself that "Perry's just saying this because he and Clark are both men!" I'm glad you liked Clark's openness with Rachel. He's learned that big secrets tend to bite a person where and when the bite is least expected and can do the most damage. As to where Clark is heading, either personally or professionally, some answers are in the next chapter.

Supesfan, I wasn't trying to correct you, just understand where you were coming from. Lois certainly is a shrew in this tale - at least she has been up to now. We'll see how that changes in the next chapters. Let me know if you approve of her conversation with Clark.

Nineteen will be up momentarily! Happy reading and feedbacking! (I don't care if it's not really a word.)

Features Writer
Features Writer
Wow.
Just wow.
She's been given a glimpse of what she has done, but she still isn't fully understanding what Clark needs (with her still setting terms). It really is sad. Granted, at least she's improving.

As for Rachel. She is a lady of upstanding class. Very impressive.
I hope Rachel comforts Clark over their lunch wink

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Always knew Clark had a spine. Just needed a very good reason to overtly display it. Good for Clark. However, Lois is possibly just finding out how tough Superman can be when pushed. She no longer can twirl his cape around her little finger. Rachel, stand by your man. He's kissed you more than once. He may literally sweep you off your feet! Chapter 20 can't come soon enough.

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I like the way you handled Lois' apology and Clark's reaction to it. This was a very tense chapter. And as I expected there will be a lot more groveling involved until Clark will be ready to forgive Lois, let alone come back to her. And at this stage I'm not sure I'd want him to.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Features Writer
Features Writer
Wow, this chapter really packed an emotional wallop, especially the last two lines. clap

The two women stood gazing directly at each other for perhaps fifteen seconds. It was almost a challenge. Rachel could just about hear the Western gunfighter music in her head.

I heard it. laugh I enjoyed the descriptions and thoughts of all three characters, and especially Rachel's.

Clark's reaction to Lois' intrusion unannounced into his domain (Smallville and his office) was absolutely justified and at the same time in character with his emotions. If he feels guilty, it likely will be as soon as she's out of sight.

Now it seems Lois has a pretty good idea of the destruction her temper wrecked. Even her last comment about Clark and Rachel's relationship still could be taken as her dictating his life. It will be interesting to see if she attempts another reconciliation; and how her relationship with Clark affects her professional life, which may be nonexistent as an investigative reporter if Superman remains off limits.

Cuidadora

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Ooh, more delicious feedbacks! Yummy!

Blueowl, thank you. You're picking up exactly what I'd hoped my readers would see: Lois trying to set things right but failing, Clark holding on to his hurt, and Rachel supporting and helping as best she can. Comfort over lunch? I dunno. Clark's invulnerable, true, but in his current emotional state I'm not sure he's very hungry. We'll see what happens next.

SupesFan, thanks for believing in Clark. He told his parents that he wouldn't go through with his threat to poison Lois' reputation in Metropolis, but that doesn't mean he's not still heartbroken. The problem - for Lois, anyway - is that he's too angry at her to forgive her at this time.

Bakasi, thank you. This was one of the harder chapters to assemble. It appears that I did a pretty fair job with it. And we'll soon see what he decides to do and when he decides to do it.

Cuidadora, I'm glad you felt the impact of the close. Believe it or not, it's a cliffhanger, one which will be partially resolved in the next chapter. And I'm glad you liked the gunfight music, too. I imagined the theme from the TV show Gunsmoke in Rachel's mind. I also see that you've been peeking into my hard drive again. You're quite prescient, although not exactly on the button (just a tad off-center).

Chapter 20 up now!

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Another great chapter with three miserable main characters. Your Rachel is a very wise woman and I'd say that at least in her case it's true love. But she's also right about Clark's feelings for Lois. He wouldn't be as mad at her as he is, if he wasn't still in love with Lois.

I'm eagerly awaiting your next chapter. And I'm still a bit torn here - I don't want Clark to severe his bond with Lois, but I don't want him to say goodbye to Lois either.
But I guess he's not becoming a Mormon, huh? (But I suppose that's not a fair solution to their problems either

Features Writer
Features Writer
What a delightful chapter! I loved the introspection of not one but four characters. Rachel really knows unselfish love, putting Clark's happiness above her own. Although the history she shared with him gives a wonderful glimpse into why she made her decision.

I love Perry's thinking and decisions. While he may think he's being petty, I think of it more as Lois needing to see she can't fix this with a single apology, and she should have some pain to really understand what she's put Clark and the whole newsroom through. She needs to hear Clark's thoughts about her making decisions for him, which is an interesting twist on what happened in the show when he made at least one unilateral decision for the couple.

Counting the days until the next chapter.

Cuidadora

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
bakasi wrote:

Another great chapter with three miserable main characters. Your Rachel is a very wise woman and I'd say that at least in her case it's true love. But she's also right about Clark's feelings for Lois. He wouldn't be as mad at her as he is, if he wasn't still in love with Lois.

Thank you. That's exactly where I wanted people to go at this point - nobody's happy because Clark doesn't know his own heart.

Cuidadora, your counting is done! And thank you for agreeing that Lois doesn't need to be let off the hook because she apologized, irrespective of her sincerity. I'm also happy to see FoLCs anticipate the next set of actions, some of which will come about as have been predicted. Of course, that means that some won't. And isn't that part of the fun?

Chapter 21 up in moments!

Features Writer
Features Writer
Caught up.

Anyway, I think Clark deciding who he really loves is super important. Rachel is certainly right and she really loves Clark a lot to encourage him to ensure that he is sure.
I am glad that Lois is waking up to how she has been behaving. I think no matter what happens, she'll become a better person after this. And if her friendship with Clark is repaired along the way, that's an added bonus.

Looking forward to more.

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Terry, you're a tease. I actually thought that the elevator incident would give them the opportunity to really talk and listen to each other. But instead the elevator problem gets fixed at the missed opportunity. Maybe the problem will occur again?

Other than my slight disappointment with that scene, it was the usual great chapter. Thanks for sharing

Features Writer
Features Writer
More great scenes in this chapter, each advancing the story. I enjoyed the scene in Perry's office where Lois thinks she'll be chewed out for being late. Her demeanor is subdued, definitely showing her despair. I could picture that even her hair is limp and dull, matching her voice. The elevator scene was great and too short. Hopefully there will be more friendly encounters between the two. Looking forward to seeing where you take this story next.

Addendum: I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed the contrast of Clark's original lack of gentlemanly manners in Perry's office with their return at least partially in the second visit to Perry's office. Also I found Lois' thought about coffee amusing.

Last edited by cuidadora; 08/20/21 09:30 PM. Reason: Addendum

Cuidadora

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Now for feedback on the feedback!

Blueowl, I'm glad you liked Rachel in this chapter. I wanted to portray her and honest and upright, so much so that she wouldn't accept being second choice even if she got who she wanted. I always knew the first-season Lois would come around to loving Clark, but there were times when I thought she was being really horrible. Sometimes one must pass through the dark valley to appreciate the light.

Bakasi, I wasn't trying to tease you with the elevator scene. Remember, though, that their relationship is still in the "don't rock the boat" stage. They're not quite ready to have that deep and meaningful talk. It's coming, I promise.

Cuidadora, your vision of Lois' hair as limp and dull is a detail I wish I'd thought of! Thank you. If you're "seeing" the scene as I write it, that means that you're into the story. The contrast between Clark's early conversation with Lois in Perry's office and the most recent one was deliberate. It was meant to show how badly Clark had been hurt, and apparently it succeeded.

Chapter 22 up in moments! There are some surprises in store for some characters - not all of them pleasant. (The surprises, I mean, not that the characters are unpleasant.)

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard