Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I remember that you said that Rachel already knew. But so far, I didn't spot any hints that Rachel knew indeed. Anyway, I liked the way you had her find out. The only thing I found a little curious was that Clark showed no remorse over breaking bones, even if the guys obviously deserved what they got. To me, that seems a little OOC.

The scene between Clark and Rachel was very sweet.

Great story!

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Features Writer
Features Writer
Rachel and Clark work so well together. :3
And I do hope she takes Denise's advice, but I doubt she will.... Admittedly, I doubt I would if I were Rachel.

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Bakasi, please recall this paragraph from chapter 3, when Martha and Lana brought a load of groceries to Janey and Rachel and Martha shared with them about Lois blowing up at Clark.

Rachel silently wondered if the secret Clark had shared was that he was Superman. If that was it, and Lois had blown up over it, the problem was Lois’, not Clark’s. Of course, Rachel didn’t know why Lois might have slapped Clark over that secret, so maybe it was something else.

I was actually a little surprised that no one commented on that paragraph. I thought some FoLCs would read it and say, "Wall, shut mah mouth!" If that happened, no one told me. But it's important to know that Rachel has known for a long time.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Guess I missed this line or forgot about it. Now that I read it, I'm rather sure that I forgot about it. At the beginning of this story my focus was on Lois.

Features Writer
Features Writer
I read that line, and didn't comment. I just thought it made sense that she knew and kept the secret. I've always thought she was likely one of the smartest people in Smallville. Maybe she and Clark both graduated at the top of their class. I do like your flashback of how she found out. clap

Nice camaraderie of Rachel and Clark working together, both with her helping him and then he returns the favor. I just hope neither one of them ends up too hurt.

As far as Cade rear-ending me, I hope he gave up drinking and driving long ago. I wonder if he targets vehicles from Cale's dealership, or if the family name on the vehicle is a deterrent. I'll add keeping a lookout for fictional characters driving to my list of things and people to watch out for on the roads. lol

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
I missed my Saturday post because my Internet-provider-supplied modem bit the dust Friday night and had to be replaced Monday morning. Since I work from home, this was something of a problem, but I'm back now.

Looks like everyone is happy with at least part of the story line. We'll see more about Lois in the next chapter.

Which is coming up in moments!

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I like the interaction between Clark and Rachel. They're a nice couple.

Perry is still trying to make Lois see reason. I doubt he'll be successful unless he acknowledges how much Lois suffers from Clark's betrayal. And even more through the treatment of her colleagues. It's heart-wrenching to see how much she suffers in that hole she has dug for herself.

T
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
T
I really enjoyed the interaction between Perry and Lois. He's absolutely right, and I love seeing it come out in your story. Without Clark's 'human interest' angle, Lois's writing would be hard nosed investigative journalism, without the touchy feely stuff that makes the reader feel the story. The difference between reading a textbook and reading a fiction based on truth. I don't think I've really appreciated that aspect of their partnership before.

Features Writer
Features Writer
It barely bothered her now that women chatting away in the ladies’ room or around the morning donuts would suddenly act as if a Cone of Silence descended on them when they saw her.

Great description, and I loved the reference! thumbsup

Mad Dog Lane may be her protective armor, but it apparently hasn't occurred to her that she could thank Jimmy or at least acknowledge his work. I suppose she left that to Clark in the past or just in her anger refuses to do anything he would have done, even simple courtesies. I'm guessing she also isn't in return acknowledging her coworkers. Looking forward to seeing if their actions will go beyond verbal shunning.

Her work is already beginning to suffer. Would enjoy seeing Franklin Stern finding out Lois' role in Clark's long-distance assignment. Could be interesting to see how he or another "suit" reacts to that and to the discord she apparently is causing in the newsroom, and maybe more of the building. Mad Dog could find herself in a much larger doghouse than snubbing by her coworkers.

Denise gives good advice, although it looks like circumstances are making it even more challenging for Rachel to follow it. If she even wants to.

I'm sorry about your modem, although glad it was something that could be fixed fairly easily.

Last edited by cuidadora; 07/22/21 08:40 AM. Reason: typo

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

Features Writer
Features Writer
I love Perry more and more in this. He isn't going to just let Lois forget Clark and is continuing to point out the consequences of her decisions.
And, awwww, a hug from Clark? :3 So sweet that he gave her a heads up.

Still rooting for Rachel :P

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Hey, fellow FoLCs, I'm back. I was out of state over the weekend for a family emergency - our daughter-in-law two states over passed away suddenly. Her memorial was brief but touching, and we spent some quality time with our son and his kids. The near future will surely bring more changes for them, and we're probably going to need to help him more. I ask for your prayers and good thoughts for all of us, as this is a very stressful time.

Now back to our regularly scheduled escape from reality. Before we get to chapter 15, though, I must respond to the excellent comments.

Bakasi, I'm glad you think Clark and Rachel make a good couple. There is certainly less stress in Clark's life without the tension of the Daily Planet and investigating with Lois and from simply having Lois around all the time. I'm also glad you like the way Perry is working with and putting a little pressure on her. I'm not sure he'll ever acknowledge Lois' betrayal because he thinks she's overreacting in her overreaction (like someone else in Lois' life). Unless she backs down from hating Clark's very existence, she'll have no internal peace.

Toomi8, thank you for your observation on the different writing styles of our former partners. This is part of the "don't tell it, show it" precept that fiction writing books and aids and teachers emphasize. If you want your readers to see something, you can't just mention it in passing. I'm glad it came through for you.

Cuidadora, I'm glad you caught the Get Smart reference with the Cone of Silence. Younger readers may not know of this secret agent satire from the 60's, but I still think it's hilarious in its utter over-the-top idiocy on everyone's part. You're right that Lois' alter ego - Mad Dog Lane - is a protective armor for her heart. Now, though, she feels as if Clark wormed his way inside that armor for the sole purpose of stabbing her in that very organ. He didn't, and we know that, but until she learns it she won't back away from her unjustified fury. And you're right also in that it's poisoning her other work relationships. Many of them blame her for Clark's departure, and we'll see more of that very soon. I agree that Rachel doesn't have much reason to back away from Clark, and we'll see more of her mind and heart in the next chapter.

Blueowl, thanks for the kind words. You're right that Lois needs to face the consequences of her idiocy, and Perry is the one to gently remind her of them. Remember that Clark gave Rachel that warning, because there is a parallel scene later on where a warning isn't given. You'll know it when you see it.

Next chapter coming up! More Clark and Rachel, plus a real twist I'm fairly certain was foretold by no one.

You might need the following musical references. A few of them have some pertinence to the action in the chapter.

Twist and Shout
Jambalaya (not the original but my favorite cover)
Workin' On a Full House
Chattahoochee
Centerfield (not really country but someone requests it)
Boot Scootin' Boogie and a line dance to it (like the one Clark and Rachel do)

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Well, that was a nice first date. And yay for the kiss. Poor Lois is already starting to regret her reaction. She just doesn't know it, yet. I'm wondering how long it will take her.

Features Writer
Features Writer
Glad Rachel knows when to hold herself back and when not to. Yet another thing Lois should learn smirk
Also, I'm glad she told him! Will there be any Superman scenes?

Anyway, Lois beginning to see a glimmer of truth.

Features Writer
Features Writer
What a nice get together. Love the small town banding together to help some of their own. Rachel's humility is a nice contrast to Lois' personality. Both of them are women in traditional men's jobs, although Rachel has the support of her parents in her chosen profession, which Lois didn't have very often if at all.

Lois got a lot to think about from Clark's letter to Lucy. I may be detecting some jealousy there. She certainly is thinking a lot about Clark if she really wanted him out of her life forever.

I am beginning to wonder if anyone in Metropolis has noted Superman's absence during the day. I've also been wondering if any action from the series, like Calvin's accident, will have different results with Superman not in the city as often. And I don't expect any answers now, remaining perfectly happy to see how this story unfolds without any spoilers.

Cuidadora

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Before we get to chapter 16, let me respond to the readers.

Bakasi, I'm glad you're seeing what I hoped the readers would see. And you're right - Lois's attitude is shifting. We'll soon see if it's soon enough.

Blueowl, thank you for the kind words about this version of Rachel. This is how I've always envisioned her. Yes, she finally told him that she's known for years that he was more than just good-looking and charming. We will have an extended Superman segment soon.

Cuidadora, there are pluses and minuses to living anywhere, but small towns tend to band together when one family needs help. I wanted to make Rachel as different from Lois as I could to give him a real choice. You're right, solid family support makes a difference in people's lives. Has Metropolis noticed Superman's reduced presence? Good question, but one I chose not to explore just yet due to time and space limitations (this isn't a Doctor Who story, after all). Superman will show up soon. We can imagine that the speaker cabinet clobbered poor Calvin, gave him frontal lobe damage, and he's now studying to be a pharmacist and is a happy, committed husband.

Next up in moments! We'll see a possible resolution for Lana's "situation" and some WAFFy stuff. Enjoy!

Features Writer
Features Writer
Good thing, good thing, good thing, good thing, good thing, good thing, good thing, good thing, good thing, good thing, good thing, ......
Definitely coming in first to me smile
Looking forward to more.

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
The talking to the furniture part was very funny. It's good that Clark was able to help Lana.

And Yay! for the kissing

Features Writer
Features Writer
What a delightful chapter! I enjoyed how Rachel recruited Clark to help.

Loved the humor. My favorite lines were:

“She did tell me her friend was asking her furniture for advice,” he added.

“That’s what got you here?”

He shrugged. “I didn’t think I could do worse than the coffee table.”

I also enjoyed the banter between Rachel and Clark. Rachel certainly knows what she wants. Glad to see her open about it with Clark and patient. Another interesting contrast to Lois whose impatience can be legendary.

Cuidadora

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Chapter 17 will be up in moments, but first let's do our housekeeping. I really appreciate all those who have commented, and I want to make sure I acknowledge their efforts.

Blueowl, thank you for all the goodness you sent along. Not real sure what's "coming in first" to you, but I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Bakasi, I'm glad you liked Lana's attempt to receive comfort or consolation or counsel from her furniture. And I'm glad you liked the kissing part. There is more to come.

Cuidadora, I'm glad you liked my attempts at humor. My funny isn't always someone else's funny, so I'm glad this came across so well. And yes, Rachel is deliberately not a Lois clone. Clark knows it too, and that will figure in the final resolution.

Now on to the next post!

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I'm with Perry here. I was wondering, why Clark hadn't exploded before now. But I think this was just the perfect moment to blow up in Lois' face. Now, she got a taste of her own medicine. It really wasn't fair of her to expect Superman to treat her like he always has.

I really like this chapter, because it's a turning point. Up until now, I always thought that Clark would forgive Lois, if only she asked him. Now, I think there will be a lot of groveling involved. Perhaps more than she could possibly imagine. My guess would be that her first attempt to reconcile will backfire, and painfully so.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard