Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Features Writer
Features Writer
GO GO LUCY! clap Sometimes it takes a sister delivering the truth bluntly....
Looking forward to more.

Features Writer
Features Writer
Another outstanding chapter. It's nice to see Lucy so strong and confident, while also reaching out to a hurting friend. I enjoyed seeing how Clark tried to cheer up the waitress and get a smile from her. His interactions with people haven't changed, despite his shattered heart. Martha and Jonathan's enthusiasm is definitely a much-needed ray of sunshine, even while Clark is literally and figuratively stuck in the rain. Those letters have me intrigued.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Before we get to chapter nine, I have some housekeeping to do.

Bakasi, Clark wasn't flirting seriously. It's the kind of thing grammar purists do when they hear a mis-constructed sentence like "If you want anything, my name's Deidre." That literally means that her name is Deidre only if Clark wants anything from her, like a beverage refill or more napkins or a clean fork. Otherwise her name could be AnnaBannannaPeachPitCrumble or even something really outrageous. And I'm glad you liked the Lois/Lucy conflict. There is more to come.

Thanks, Blueowl. In some other universe, one in which I've already traveled - see Life and Death in the Other Lane for more information on a Clark-Lucy (Clucy?) pairing - they might get together and make a life with each other. But I promise, that won't happen here.

Cuidadora, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you liked Lucy here. I was trying to make her sympathetic. Yeah, Clark needs the love of his family and their calm steadfastness right now. And we'll see about the letters in the next chapter.

Thanks for reading, y'all! We're just moments away from the next bit!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Features Writer
Features Writer
Welp, you reap what you sow and now she has to deal with it. She clearly didn't think this through at all.

Poor Jimmy and poor Perry. Jimmy for losing a friend and role model (or at least making him long distant) and Perry for having to manage the fallout.

Looking forward to Clark and Rachel interaction ^_^

Features Writer
Features Writer
Lois is learning a hard lesson about the ramifications of her actions and anger. She's feeling the beginnings of remorse, and her reaction is typical of her, but she may find it doesn't work well long-term. It's very bad if Jimmy ends up pulling his support from her. She relied on him before Clark came into the picture, and afterwards I suspect as a friend, researcher, and photographer. This has the possibility of being a far bigger problem for Lois than the debacle with Claude, since Claude left to escape concerns about his character. In a few short chapters, you have me very interested in how this affects Lois and whether it can help her mature.

Martha's reaction to Clark and Jonathan's plans and excitement about them are just what Clark needed. Dorothy had it right, that sometimes there is no place like home. Especially if it includes unconditional love and support. Enjoyed seeing Rachel and her parents interacting, also with the love of a good family. Nice to see functional families in this story. thumbsup

Looking forward to finding out how the story unfolds. hyper

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Thanks, Blueowl. So often we (including me) react emotionally to a situation and make things far worse. And no, she made no effort to envision the secondary consequences.

Cuidadora, you've described Lois' problem very well. She's still too angry to admit she made a serious mistake and her pride won't let her admit it - yet. The "Jimmy problem" will show up again soon. And thank you for the Wizard of Oz reference! You're also right about the solid structures of the Kent and Harris families. I wanted to show a strong, accomplished, professional woman who isn't fighting negative parental influences in her early adulting stage.

Chapter 10 will be up very soon. There are a couple of added complications coming.

Features Writer
Features Writer
Well, it is only natural to compare circumstances and people. It's how decisions are made. From risk assessments to selecting what to eat for dinner, comparing is key. Can't just easily turn it off, so I don't blame Clark at all, although I do agree it unfortunately isn't the 'fairest' thing to do. But life isn't fair.

Granted, it would help Lois if she did some serious comparing though. Comparing Clark to any man, the choice would be easy. Granted, then she'd have to face how stupid she's being, so I can see why she isn't.

Hm. I think I have to admit that this fic is making me see the more cynical side of myself....

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Just read 1-10, there’s a lot of talk about Lois burning her bridges.

Frankly I really enjoyed seeing that. Lois in the series had a history of burning relationships that was never addressed instead simply dismissed.

In various fanfics Lois worked through things, Paul, Linda, Cat, Stewart, to name a few. But not in canon. In my mind I felt like L&C as shown in the series don’t have the depth to last the years let alone raise children.

A successful marriage has been defined as a union of two good forgivers. I’m looking forward to seeing both Lois and Clark developing into the type of people who can weather the storms.

[sidebar, my wife and I have been married since 8/6/77]

I look forward to Clark as a reporter helping with the rustlers, hopefully Superman does not get involved.

I also hope Superman can talk with the press in other cities. I’d love to see this Lois reactions to interviews with Polly Perkins, Vickie Vale,Roxanne Ritchi, Caitlin Ryan, Lily Wong, Annika Bengtzon, Mattie Storin, and Zoe Barnes.

Framework4
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I missed out on commenting on the last chapter. Acutually I had already written a comment this morning when my phone decided to just swallow it up. wallbash

So please forgive me if this comment is a bit shorter. I loved the letters Clark wrote. It's exacty how I would imagine the flaming letter of someone who's been badly hurt by the woman he loved. It's also good to see that Lois is having second thoughts even if she's pushing them aside for the moment. It was a nice touch how she missed her morning coffee.

The first encounter between Clark and Rachel was great. He's barely been in Smallville for twety-four hours and has already found a damsel in distress who happens to be in love with him. Way to go Clark! I see a world of trouble in his immediate future.

Looking forward to the next part!

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Features Writer
Features Writer
Rustlers are an interesting twist, as were the scenes with Rachel and Clark. I enjoyed the introspections of all. It's intriguing to see the similarities and differences between Lois and Clark's thoughts. Piece by piece they are each realizing how life is changing for them, possibly permanently. Looking forward to more.

Cuidadora

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Blueowl, I'm sorry you feel you're seeing your cynical side more clearly. Maybe the next few chapters will resolve that. (And maybe they won't. Spoilers!)

Framework4, I'm glad you've caught up. You're right, our Lois is a bit of an arsonist in the relationship department. And I like your definition of a successful marriage. My wife and I share an anniversary with you, just one year earlier, so I understand your veteran status and salute both you and your wife, sir! And I really liked your idea of Superman being interviewed by all those women (a few of whom I had to Google). And we'll see what Clark does with the rustler thing.

Bakasi, your comments are welcome irrespective of length. I'm glad you liked the letters, especially Lois'. I tried to make him sound hurt without being bitter and seem to accept the end of the relationship without groveling. Coffee? We don' need no steenkin' coffee! (Sorry, bent old movie flashback.) And Rachel was in real distress, so this was a Clark Kent rescue and not a Superman one. (Spoiler: we'll see another one later on.)

Cuidadora, I'm glad you liked seeing the rustlers. I was surprised when I tried to look up the cost of insuring cattle against theft, and apparently it's so rare today that no company I could find online offered that coverage. I'm glad you picked up on "how life is changing for them, possibly permanently." We'll see if that's what happens.

Next chapter up as soon as the flood filter will let me!

Features Writer
Features Writer
Hurrah Rachel! Stand your ground! laugh She's so awesome.

And wow, Jimmy! He really is a true and loyal friend and he's really grown an impressive backbone (among other things). It's no wonder in some versions of Superman he's known as Superman's pal.

I also wonder how Superman's rescues are doing after all of this.... Hm, and Rachel has never met Superman, has she?

Looking forward to more.

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I liked Rachel in this chapter. She's a tough guy if such a thing can be said about a woman. The interaction between Clark and his old friend showed that Clark gradually seems to be accepting the changes in his life. It almost looks like he doesn't intend to return to Metropolis when Perry's assignment is up.

You write all these different Smallville characters so well that I can almost imagine myself standing next to Clark, while he is talking to them.

Features Writer
Features Writer
Clark discovering some things that have changed in Smallville in the hardware store was very realistic. I'm surprised that Martha and Jonathan didn't seem to be aware of the new regulations. Or maybe they forgot about them in their excitement of their son's return home? Maybe we'll find out when Clark gets back to the farm. I'm glad he has Manny who's another good friend and looked out for him (and his folks, since as the owners they might be held responsible for the permit and work).

I enjoyed Rachel's confrontation with Plunkett, and her Inner Warrior emerging. I envisioned it from her perspective, that as she confronted him, it seemed to her as if he shrank or she grew taller, suddenly looking down at Plunkett. I hope the judge throws the book at him and his bosses.

Jimmy's reaction was priceless. He had a good point, since he doesn't know why Lois reacted like she did. Even then, I suspect he might be more on Clark's side than Lois'. It will be interesting to see if Lois and Jimmy can reconcile and stay friends, or not. Makes me wonder how the rest of the newsroom will treat her, especially since Jimmy's anger is likely to have been noticed by someone else.

Looking forward to more.

Cuidadora

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Time for author responses! No contest, y'all, you're the best readers in all of ficdom.

Blueowl, you cite some very interesting points. I don't see how Rachel could be anything but forceful when necessary. The sheriff's office is an elected position in most American states/counties, and shrinking violets need not apply. I've never liked portraying Jimmy as a wuss, either. He's young, he's still learning, but he can stand up for what he thinks is right. Superman is still active in Metropolis, just off-camera. We'll see a larger event in a few chapters. And no, Rachel has never met the Superman persona. Since she knew Clark first, though, and since she knows he's Superman, I don't think she'll be intimidated.

Bakasi, I'm glad you like my Smallville characters. Apparently I can't write flat one-dimensional throwaway characters. At this point, Clark doesn't think he'll ever move back to Metropolis, since Lois hasn't softened her stance one iota. We'll see how that develops later.

Cuidadora, thanks for the kind words. I put Clark noticing the changes in the hardware store to underline that nothing stays the same forever, even in fiction. As for Martha and Jonathan, it's possible that they forgot to mention the new restrictions on such work to Clark. It's also possible that they didn't think those restrictions applied to them since they don't live within the corporation limits of Smallville. Rachel's "Inner Warrior" will appear again. You are once again quite prescient concerning Lois' relationship with the rest of the newsroom cast. Her coworkers are in the dark as to why Clark left, and we'll see the effects of that lack of knowledge again.

Chapter 12 up very soon!

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Loved those flashbacks. They show how much Rachel cares about Clark. It was nice how she saved him when he didn't want to fight, though she knew that he was likely going to win. This has me wonder how Rachel will find out about Clark's powers. Will he tell her? Or is this going to be an accidental reveal. Personally, I'd vote for the later, though of course I know that this die is already cast.

Features Writer
Features Writer
Further confirmation that Rachel is epic and has always been epic. I'm looking forward to her interacting with Clark in the present.

And I'm glad Lucy isn't giving Lois any slack. I think Lucy and Rachel would get along smile

Features Writer
Features Writer
What a fun chapter! I also enjoyed the flashbacks. Your take on the reason Clark took Rachel to the prom was unique, I think. Shows how the gal can think quickly on her feet. Something she needs as sheriff. I just hope she doesn't get hurt, although I suspect she's pretty resilient.

I laughed when reading Mark's first arrest was Cade. Great story. I got the reference since Cale's hometown is near me.

Lois is seeing what her anger has led to, although she's still too angry and stubborn to have any interest in changing. She is channeling Scarlett O'Hara. It would probably be healthier for her and those around her if she could find a better role model to emulate. lol

Cuidadora

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Thanks for all the feedback! It's ambrosia for the starving author.

Bakasi, remember that Rachel already knows that Clark is Superman. She wondered silently if Lois went off on Clark because he told her he was Superman. And we'll find out how Rachel knows in the next chapter.

Blueowl, thanks for the kind words about Rachel. This is not a Lois clone, and interaction with Clark is coming up. I wish I'd had room for Lucy and Rachel to meet, but - alas, that would've made this a horrendously extensive epic. It's already pretty long.

Cuidadora, I'm glad you liked the prom flashbacks. I hope Cade doesn't rear-end your car on some lonely road. Lois is channeling Scarlet O'Hara? I never thought about it, but I think you're right. She should read up on Mother Teresa.

Next chapter up in moments! Stay tuned!

T
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
T
Finally catching up!

I loved this line

It was a touch of domestic intimacy that Rachel wished could last all day.

Made the flutters start up!

Really enjoying this fic so far, eagerly awaiting more of Clark and Rachel's interactions.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard