Next Thread
Print Thread
#288564 03/22/21 07:16 PM
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
From the Bulwar-Lytton fiction contest website - worst opening lines of 2020.

Call me Ishmael, for my tale is that of the only survivor of the attack by a great white whale on the “Pequod,” our Nantucket whaling vessel, and though the story is so fantastic you may be tempted to question my veracity, I need only remind you that writers write and readers read, and you really should stay in your own lane.

John Hardi, Falls Church, VA

~~~~~~~~~~

Comments?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Well, it evokes an emotional response at least. Maybe I'm too independent but I have an immediate aversion to people telling me what to do, particularly people who haven't earned the respect to do so. In my mind, the last phrase reads as "This is going to be bad but you'd better choke it down and I don't want to hear about it."

Shallowford
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
For those not familiar with the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest, it's an annual competition open to all and sundry to write a terrible opening sentence to a novel, short story, or vignette. Here's the website.

I challenge each of you to read some of these rotten gems and not laugh out loud. The 2020 winner is shown below.

Her Dear John missive flapped unambiguously in the windy breeze, hanging like a pizza menu on the doorknob of my mind.

(by Lisa Kluber)

B
Blogger
Blogger
B
Terry, thanks for the introduction to the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest. I hadn't heard of them before, and they're a real treasure!

My favorite, the winner of the Children's Lit category:

As Charlotte meticulously finished her egg sac on the lonely rafter at the county fairgrounds, she thought about the future day when her children would burrow into Wilbur's flesh to consume him from the inside-out, and hummed her favorite song about the wheel of life rolling on.

Robert Greer, Gilbert, AZ

The fastest way for me to lose my status as favorite aunt...

(❁´◡`❁)
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
The Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest has announced the 2021 winners! My favorite from the Fantasy & Horror Dishonorable Mention is:

Our story begins in the cozy cottage of Bynnoldh-Dyr, son of Asgwitch-Torgwyr, in the idyllic elven village of Myrthffolwrd, but our book actually begins some two hundred pages earlier, in which you are pummeled by irrelevant history and unpronounceable names, because my publisher is paying me by the word.

Neil B Harrison, Springville, UT

I love to read these. I always get at least a chuckle out of them.

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I made the mistake of looking at the historical winners. I can't pick a favorite. Some of them are so bad they're good.

Thanks Terry!

Shallowford

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard