Chapter Twenty-Eight—Earthquake!

About a month after the highway crash cleanup Lara had handled back in April, she woke up suddenly with no idea, at first, of what might have pulled her out of a deep sleep at… 2:00 a.m.! She listened carefully until she finally heard a broadcast on one of the 24-hour news networks that were playing on a TV in the building next to hers.

Northwestern Albania experienced a strong 6.4-magnitude earthquake with an epicenter 16 kilometers west-southwest of Mamurras, at 6:54 a.m. local time…

In moments Lara was out of bed and on the way to Albania. Just as she reached Mamurras she saw her father was already there speaking to local officials.

“Superwoman, I’m glad you’re here,” Superman said when she landed next to him, smiling at her supportively. “Mr. Shehu of the local disaster response group was just filling me in on where we need to start.”

Once the briefing was over the two superheroes took to the air. Their first job was to find and free the living. With over 14,000 buildings damaged or destroyed it was a very long and difficult task, a task Lara and her father performed with grim determination. For hours and hours, they worked, listening for heartbeats, or the banging of trapped people as they removed tons of debris to get to them.

The work was slow due to the need to be very careful not to cause more damage, damage that would cause injury to those still waiting for rescue. After ten hours of rescue, the effort turned to the recovery of the dead. Thankfully, due to the diligent work of the two superheroes, the death toll was, mercifully, light but still, fifty-one souls had lost their lives; however, on a positive note, Superman and Superwoman had rescued over 3,000 of the injured.

Ken McCarthy was watching LNN at seven o’clock that morning while he dressed for work. Nothing on the news caught Ken’s attention until the international news segment came on.

“Again, in international news, there was a 6.4 magnitude earthquake near the Albanian city of Mamurras that struck just before 7:00 a.m. local time, just as residents of the city were getting ready for work or school. Within minutes of the announcement by various news organizations of the disaster Superman and his daughter, Superwoman, were on the scene. After consulting with local authorities the two superheroes have been busily working to free the trapped and injured. It is estimated that, even with super help, it will be many hours before the grim work of recovering the dead will be complete…”

Ken’s mouth dropped open, his heart in his throat. Lara, his beautiful, soft-hearted fiancée, was knee-deep in the most stressful rescue she’d attended since he’d known her. He watched for a few minutes as the two superheroes zipped back and forth, moving debris, bringing wounded to treatment areas, and then returning for more. Ken got to thinking that Lara was going to busy for quite a while and she was going to miss work. He checked his phone for the time zone of Albania and he realized that Lara must have left around 2:00 a.m. Chicago time so there was no way she’d have thought to call the paper. Ken immediately dialed the number for Lara’s boss, he just hoped that she’d be in this early.

“Chicago Tribune, this is Julie, how may I help you?”

“Hello, my name is Ken McCarthy, I’m Lara Kent’s fiancé, is Ms. Blake in please?”

“Yes, she is, hold on please.” Ken sighed with relief.

“Hello, this is Pam Blake.”

“Hi Ms. Blake, I’m Ken McCarthy, Lara’s fiancé. I’m calling to let you know she’s been sick all night and won’t be in today. I’m going to be taking her to the doctor later, as soon as I can get an appointment, but she wanted you to know.”

“Lara’s sick? What’s wrong?” Pam asked with concern.

“I think she’s got food poisoning but it could be a twenty-four-hour bug. She has a fever and she’s been up and down all night with an upset stomach. She says she’s sorry she can’t make it to work today.”

“You tell her not to worry and to get better soon. If she needs tomorrow off too, just let me know, okay? And thanks for calling Ken.”

“Thank you, Ms. Blake, I’ll be sure to tell her. Bye.” Ken disconnected the call, pleased with himself for his foresight. Lara would not have to deal with explaining to her boss why she wasn’t at work on top of having to deal with the aftermath of the earthquake. He finished his morning routine then he left, headed over to Lara’s apartment. He left her a note which explained what he’d done so she wouldn’t worry and so she’d be able to play along in case anyone from work called her.

On the drive to the station house, Ken’s thoughts returned again and again to his fiancée. While he knew that she’d be okay, physically, he worried for her tender heart and her state of mind. Throughout the day he listened to the reports coming out of Albania. The destruction the earthquake had caused sickened him. At the latest count, there were over 14,000 structures damaged or destroyed at an estimated cost of $844 million. The death toll was still unknown but it would certainly have been much higher than the approximately 40 souls reported thus far if it were not for the efforts of Superman and Superwoman.

Twelve hours after she’d landed in Albania Superwoman stood beside her father at the Red Cross temporary hospital that had been set up near the disaster area for the injured. Their uniforms, covered in dust, dirt, and blood, their capes torn and frayed showed how hard the superheroes had worked. Both showed stress on their faces from the grim work they had recently completed. A total of 51 people had lost their lives along with over 3,000 injured. The field hospital was nearly empty as most patients were now at hospitals as far away as Albania’s capital, Tirana.

“Mr. Shehu,” Superman said, his body language screaming fatigue, “what’s next?”

“Nothing, Superman. You and your daughter have done all that we require of you. There is nothing left to do now but mourn our dead and begin to clean up and rebuild, neither of which you can help with. We are very grateful to you for everything the two of you have done for our people.”

“We’re just glad we were able to help.” Superman shook Mr. Shehu’s hand. “Let’s go home, Superwoman.”

With that, they took off headed west. When they got to the Atlantic Ocean, they both dove in to clean their suits as best as possible, though their suits were going to need a good laundering before all evidence of their efforts was gone.

“You know, Dad, Grandma is going to be pretty upset with us,” Lara said out of the blue.

“Why’s that?” Clark replied, confused by the non sequitur.

“We’ve ruined two more capes. I hope she has enough material.” Lara glanced at her father’s torn and tattered cape.

“I think your grandmother will understand that the capes were sacrificed for a good cause. Besides it was her idea that we wear one so it’s partly her fault.” Clark thought that would have gotten a smile from his daughter but none was forthcoming.

“Are you okay, Pumpkin?” Clark asked his daughter as they flew slowly home.

“No, Dad. But I will be, as soon as I get home to Ken,” Lara said with a slightly shaky voice.

“You did wonderful, sweetheart. I am so proud of you. I’m also glad you have Ken to support you, he loves you very much.”

“I know, Dad, and I love him so much too. But I feel bad sometimes when I drop all my baggage on him…”

“Don’t feel that way, Pumpkin, he wants to be there for you. It’s how he shows how much he loves you. It makes him feel proud that he can provide love and support for you when he can’t be there with you. He knows that you know he’s there when you get home.”

“What about you, Dad? You don’t have anyone. How do you handle it?”

“I’ve had a lot more experience at this so I’ve learned coping mechanisms. Even before I left the Planet I had to learn to deal with disasters on my own since Lois didn’t know the secret. It’s something I’ve become used to. Don’t worry about your old man, I’ll be fine,” Clark said, but his smile didn’t quite reach his eyes.

“There’s Smallville, Dad, I’ll give you a call tomorrow, okay?” Lara said.

“Take care, sweetheart, I’ll talk to you later.”

It was after 8:00 p.m. when Lara landed, exhausted, on her balcony. She took off her suit at human speed, stripped off the skin-tight spandex, and tossed it into her laundry hamper. The cape was a total loss so she just tossed it to the back of her secret closet. The need to get clean was paramount so she walked into her bathroom and turned the water as hot as it would go. She climbed under the scalding water and let it wash over her from head to toe, rinsing off the last traces of the earthquake. She stood there for five minutes as the water cascaded over her body then she grabbed her bath sponge and soaped her body, though it took two thorough soaping’s before the stench of death left her. She washed her hair, then just as the water got cold, she shut it off and dried herself with a towel. She dried her hair then she walked back into the bedroom, naked, the towel wrapped around her body. For the first time since she got home, she saw the note on her bed.

‘Sweetheart,

I called your boss and told her you had food poisoning and wouldn’t be in. She said that if you need tomorrow off it was fine with her.

All my love,

Ken’

Lara’s eyes misted up and tears flowed unbidden down her cheeks. Ken had called and given her an excuse for her absence! ‘God, I love that man,’ she thought, the words on the paper blurring from her tears. She swiped the tears from her face with her hand then she grabbed a new suit from the closet. With her tote bag containing a t-shirt, jeans, fresh underwear, and her pajamas in hand she took off through her balcony door.

Moments later the knock Ken had been expecting all night told him that Lara had arrived. He opened the door, his arms spread wide in invitation.

“C’mere, sweetheart.” Ken drew Lara into his chest and she gratefully complied. He closed the door and led her to the couch where he drew Lara onto his lap, enveloping her in a supportive hug.

“Oh, Ken, it was awful,” she said in a whisper. She told him of all the things she’d seen, the sights, the smells, and the sounds of the injured and the dead. How tired she’d been and how she’d had to keep going when all she wanted to do was fly home as fast as she could. She cried and shook with rage at the loss of life and her inability to save everyone.

“I know, honey, I know. I saw you on TV,” he said soothingly. “You were great, you and your dad. No one could have done any more than you two. I know you’re fast but even you couldn’t have gotten there any faster. There are thousands of people who are safe and in hospitals because of what you and he did. You need to remember that, Lara. You did everything you could and I’m very proud of you!” Ken said fiercely as he placed kisses on top of her head.

“I know you’re right but, right now I feel like such a failure,” Lara whispered, snuggling deeper into Ken’s chest.

“You’re not a failure!” Ken said fiercely but lovingly. “You’ve done everything you could and more. You and your dad are powerful, but you’re not God, you can’t save every life, as much as you want to. You have to accept that what you can do is enough.”

Ken held Lara tightly, caressing her until he felt the tension leach out of her.

“How about we hit the hay? I’m sure you’re tired and so am I.” Lara nodded so Ken grasped her behind her knees and picked her up, holding her to his chest. He set her down beside the bed then he hurried back to the living room for her bag and handed it to her.

“Why don’t you get changed and I’ll lock up?” He cupped her cheek lovingly. Lara nodded then she took her bag into the bathroom. While she changed, Ken locked his doors then he turned out all the lights. He returned to the bedroom just as Lara was climbing under the covers.

“Be right back.” Ken grabbed his pajama bottoms from the drawer and headed into the bathroom. He changed quickly then he climbed into bed next to Lara who snuggled into his body, spoon fashion. “Good night, Lara, I love you,” Ken whispered into her ear.

“Love you too,” Lara replied sleepily. Ken closed his eyes and listened to the soft even breathing of his fiancée as she slept. He thought about how lucky he was that this wonderful, powerful woman needed a mere human like him.

The light of the early morning sun was peeking around the window shade throwing a soft, diffused glow around the room. Ken felt Lara’s body snuggled tightly to his chest, his arms wrapped around her, just as they’d fallen asleep the night before. Opening his eyes a bit he looked over to the nightstand to see what time it was but something was wrong, the clock wasn’t there! His eyes now open completely, he saw the reason why his clock was not in its expected position. They were floating three feet above the bed!

‘This has never happened before!’ Ken thought, marveling at the fact that, even in her sleep, Lara’s aura could keep him afloat on a cushion of air.

“Honey?” Ken whispered, “It’s time to get up.”

“Don’ wanna, too early,” Lara mumbled sleepily.

“Sweetheart, can you get us down?” Ken whispered again, kissing her lightly on the neck.

“Wha? Huh? Down?” Lara replied, confused. Lara opened her eyes completely and she started, surprised, and they fell with a bounce!

Ken chuckled and looked lovingly at Lara. “I was hoping for something a bit gentler but this works!”

“Oh, God, I’m so sorry! That hasn’t happened in a long time,” Lara exclaimed.

“It’s okay honey, I was just surprised that’s all. As you said, that’s never happened before.”

“I sometimes float in my sleep when I’m overtired, like last night. You’re not hurt, are you?” Lara asked, concerned.

“I’m fine,” Ken said with a grin. “It was only three feet and the bed broke my fall! Hey, I’m hungry, why don’t you take a shower while I get the coffee going?” Lara nodded her assent and headed toward the bathroom. Ken hopped out of bed admiring Lara as she walked away. Even though she was wearing the least sexy pajamas possible he still found her irresistible. In no time coffee was brewing and Ken had two place settings on the table.

“I’m done,” Lara said as she walked into the kitchen dressed in her casual clothes from the night before. “Shower’s yours.”

Ken kissed her cheek on the way by then he headed to the shower. Lara opened the refrigerator, taking out eggs, bacon, and English muffins for their breakfast. Ken returned, clean smelling, his hair still damp from his shower just as Lara was putting their food on their plates.

“Ummm, breakfast smells good.” Ken grabbed a cup of coffee, taking a sip. “I still haven’t figured out how you can make coffee taste so good.”

“I told you, it’s Grandma’s secret. If you’re a good boy maybe someday I’ll tell you what it is.” Lara said cheekily. “Now sit down, breakfast is ready.”

They ate breakfast chatting amiably about the day ahead when Lara remembered the note.

“I want to thank you for calling Pam yesterday and giving me an excuse. I never thought about what I’d tell her about my absence.”

“Yeah, I figured. Since you probably left around 2:00 a.m. you wouldn’t have thought about calling in sick. I’m sure you were only thinking about the earthquake.”

“I was. I heard the news and I was on the way in less than two seconds. What made you think about calling in?”

“I love you. I didn’t want you to get in trouble with your boss. I told her I thought you had food poisoning and that I was taking you to the doctor so be ready when you see her today.”

“I will, and thank you again. I love you.” Lara leaned across the table for a kiss.

When the kiss ended Ken replied, “You’re welcome, you know I’ll do anything for you. I love you too.”

“You know, I’ve been thinking—”

“That sounds dangerous,” Ken interrupted, grinning wickedly.

“Quiet you! Anyway, I was thinking that you should meet Lois before the wedding, what do you say?”

“I’d love to! When do you think we can meet her?”

“I’ll give her a call when I get to the office, is there any day that’s bad?”

“Not that I can think of. I’m on days this week so any evening is good with me.”

“Great! I’ll call you when I know more.”

Continued in Chapter Twenty-Nine