At precisely six-twenty-eight on Wednesday evening, Clark answered the knock at his front door. He’d known it was Bobbie without peeking. Her knock was unique to her, almost like a fingerprint, and he suddenly realized that he’d memorized it without intending to.

He opened the door wide and smiled. “Right on time. I appreciate a woman who’s punctual.”

She lifted one eyebrow and stepped into the apartment. “I appreciate a man who’s ready when I call for him. Looking pretty good, you faux fashion model you.”

He threw her an amused glance as he pulled on a light jacket. “That blouse and slacks ensemble pretties you up, too. Do you want to catch a cab?”

“I brought my personal vehicle. I think it’s big enough for you.”

He decided to keep the banter going. “If it’s big enough for a beanpole like you, Tracey, then I should fit with no problem.”

Both of her eyebrows rose. “Beanpole? You must like living dangerously, Kent.”

“Of course I do. I’m riding to dinner with a cop. I’m in imminent danger of being involved in anything from a ticket for illegal parking to a homicide investigation.”

She took a step closer and patted him on the cheek. “Don’t worry, little Clarkie, I’ll protect you from all those dangerous women.”

“What about the dangerous men?”

She shook her head. “You’re on your own for any man-fending-off that may be needed.”

Clark watched Bobbie drive with skill and ease, sliding into and out of traffic without so much as a honked horn. He decided that conversation wouldn’t distract her. “What shall we discuss on our journey?”

She shrugged. “We could play ‘license plate tag.’ My parents used to do that with me on trips when I was a kid to keep me from getting bored and asking if we were there yet every thirty seconds.”

“As much fun as that sounds, I’d rather just talk. Anything new in your life lately?”

She glanced at him for a moment, then grinned. “Lucy and I had lunch together day before yesterday.” He turned to look at her, but he didn’t say anything. “Yeah, she called me at the station that morning and said ‘You want to get together for lunch today? My treat.’ Work-a-day cops don’t turn down an offer like that.”

“Was it a good lunch?”

“Yes. She took me to a place called Uncle Mike’s Diner. I almost expected it to be a dive, but it was actually pretty nice. Mike is her adopted uncle, by the way, which you probably already knew, and he treated both of us like beauty pageant contestants. Food was great, too.”

“I know the place and the man. He gets even nicer as you get to know him.”

“Thought so. Anyway, we talked about you, about men in general, and she told me a couple of things about Lois you haven’t yet, probably because you weren’t around when that stuff happened.”

Her voice turned serious. “Lucy said she trusted you with her heart, and that you were the only man she ever knew who kept his word.” She paused to swallow, then said, “She really talked you up, Kent. I just hope her testimony stands up to cross-examination.”

Her eyes were still glued to the road. “So do I, Bobbie,” he said quietly.

The rest of the short trip was comfortably silent. Clark entertained thoughts of a future with Bobbie in his life and wondered how soon she’d need Superman’s services.

Bobbie didn’t hint at the content of her musings.

Lucy opened the door to see Clark with his hand in knocking position and his eyes wide with surprise. She laughed and said, “I saw your headlights flash on the front window. Come on in.” She smiled and said, “You too, Bobbie. Come in and meet my mom.”

Ellen walked in from the kitchen and walked straight to Clark, then pulled his head down to her level and kissed him on the cheek. “I’m so glad you could make it tonight, Clark! I’ve made your favorite lasagna, along with Lucy’s garlic bread recipe.” She turned to Bobbie and took her hands. “Good evening, Detective Tracey. I’m so glad you came with Clark. Ryan should be here in a few minutes. He called and said he’d had to work a little late and he really needed a shower.”

Bobbie smiled at the older woman. “Thank you, Mrs. Lane. Please, just call me Bobbie.”

“Well, if I’m going to call you Bobbie, then you have to call me Ellen just like Clark does! After all, any friend of Clark’s is a friend of ours, too.”

Bobbie nodded. “Thank you – Ellen. I appreciate the honor.”

“Oh, you’re welcome! Say, why don’t you come help me in the kitchen? You do cook, don’t you?”

Bobbie took off her windbreaker and held it against her chest until Lucy relieved her of it. “Yes, I cook, but this is your meal, your house, and I wouldn’t dream of interfering.”

“Nonsense!” Ellen bubbled. She tugged Bobbie toward the kitchen. “You don’t have to do anything! Just come in and keep me company. Lucy’s part is done and she’ll keep Clark occupied until Ryan gets here, then she’ll surely run interference to keep Clark from scaring Ryan away.”

Bobbie shot one imploring glance at Clark over her shoulder, but he just smiled at her. He knew she’d be okay with Ellen.

He hoped so, anyway.

As Bobbie wondered what third degree technique Ellen would use on her, the older woman smiled and pointed Bobbie to a stool to one side of the cabinet. As Bobbie sat, Ellen said, “Now you know that I just wanted a minute to talk with you, don’t you? Lucy thinks quite highly of you.”

Bobbie frowned. “She does?”

Ellen spoke as she gathered plates and silverware. “Yes. She asked a couple of her college teachers about you, they did some discreet research, and she said they told her that you were not only honest as the day is long, you were honest at night, too. They said they’d never heard any whisper of you being anything but a hard-working straight-laced detective with top five scores on both your detective exams and your pistol qualification. And that your case closure rate started low but has dramatically improved as you’ve gotten more experience.”

“Wow. That’s high praise.” Bobbie hesitated, then asked, “Is there a particular reason to have gone to such lengths about me?”

Ellen stopped. “Of course there is. Clark.”

“Clark?”

“Yes. Oh, I know he’d never take up with a criminal or someone who was just digging for gold – not that he has any – but I – I wasn’t a very good mother to Lois as she was growing up, and I wasn’t as supportive of her after her not-marriage to Lex Luthor as I should have been. Clark sort of – filled in some of the gaps I left.”

Bobbie’s eyes lit up. “Yeah. I remember something about that interrupted wedding. I was in uniform then, working out of a different precinct. Never had any direct contact with Luthor, but I heard the talk about him.”

Ellen picked up a towel and wiped her hands. “And about Lois?”

Bobbie shrugged. “Cops are just people, and people talk. Sometimes it’s just to hear themselves yak. I heard stuff about her, but I never put any stock in that. It was always ‘my cousin’s babysitter’s boyfriend’s uncle’s cellmate’s buddy’ kind of thing, impossible to prove or disprove or even know how much of what I heard was what was originally said, much less having any resemblance to the truth. All I really know is that she came back strong from that disaster. The Daily Planet showed her byline a lot.”

Ellen dropped the towel on the counter. “I think the best thing Lois ever did was to give her heart to Clark. He would have watched over her, taken care of her, loved her as long as the sun gave light, and he would have taken any number of bullets for her. He loved her unreservedly.” She sighed. “I only wish she could have realized it and loved him back.”

“So – Clark’s the son-in-law you wish you’d had? Are you trying to tell me something?”

“Yes.” Ellen took Bobbie’s hands in hers. “I’m trying to tell you that I love that young man and I want him to be happy, whoever that happiness involves. And I hope Ryan treats Lucy right. She deserves some happiness, too.”

“Don’t you? Deserve some happiness, I mean.”

Ellen smiled. “If my children – and I consider myself Clark’s surrogate mother when Martha Kent isn’t around – can have happy lives, I’ll be satisfied. People my age don’t always find romantic love, especially when they’re not looking for it. Besides, while love and marriage are very important, they’re not the only things in life.”

Bobbie heard the front door open and saw Ellen’s eyes change as she registered the sound. Ellen suddenly stepped back and clapped her palms together. “Ryan’s here and dinner’s ready. If you’ll set the table for five, we’ll eat. I’m getting hungry!”

After Bobbie disappeared into the kitchen with Ellen, Lucy tugged on Clark’s jacket and said, “Come on, slowpoke, you know where the closet is. Hang yours up while I take care of Bobbie’s.”

Clark smiled at her and obeyed. As he followed her into the living room, he asked, “What’s your first impression of Bobbie?”

“I already gave it to you on Saturday.”

He pulled his eyebrows down at her for a moment, then asked, “Okay, what’s your second impression?”

She frowned in thought for a few seconds, then said, “Still positive. So far, anyway. We’ll see if she knows which piece of silverware to use and if she wipes her hands on her slacks or the napkin.”

He frowned. “Come on, Lucy, she’s housebroken.”

Lucy whooped, then clamped her hands over her mouth and muffled her laughter. “You’d better not let her hear you say that! She’s big enough to clobber you!”

Clark shook his head. “What are we having for dinner?”

“Just what Mom said, pasta and garlic bread. Simple stuff, easy to clean up afterward. Why, were you hoping for a seafood feast?”

“No, just trying to make polite conversation.”

Before Lucy could respond, a rapid tattoo beat out “Shave And A Haircut” at the front entrance. Lucy jumped up and ran to the door, but before she opened it she knocked twice in response. Over her shoulder, she looked at Clark and called out, “Two bits!”

He smiled and said, “I figured.”

Lucy opened the door to reveal a young, slender man about four inches shorter than Clark with short blond hair and a neat goatee. He grinned at Lucy and grabbed her, then lifted her off her feet. “Hey, girl! I’m so glad to see you again!”

Lucy chuckled. “I’m glad to see you too, Ryan, but you need to come in and meet Clark.”

Still grinning, Ryan set her on the ground gently and strode to the living room with his hand outstretched. “Hi! You must be Clark Kent! I’m Ryan Barnes. Glad to meet you.”

Clark took his hand and smiled back. “I’m glad to meet you too, Ryan. How’s the electrician business these days?”

Their hands parted and Ryan said, “Doing really good, actually. With all the new homes going up on the West Side and the upgrades and rebuilds around Hob’s Bay, we’re busier than a one-armed paper hanger. Oh, hey, sorry, that means—”

Clark chuckled. “It’s okay, Ryan, I’m from Kansas. That’s not a new idiom for me.”

“Kansas, huh? Whereabouts?”

Lucy glanced at Clark, puzzled, but Clark smiled and replied, “Smallville. Not too far from Wichita.”

“I’m from Oklahoma, down around Poteet. We’re just about neighbors.”

“Yep.”

Lucy made shooing motions at both men. “Come on, you guys, sit down! No reason to stand on ceremony. We’re all friends here.”

Bobbie and Ellen chose that moment to walk in, so Clark and Ryan, both halfway to sitting, popped back up like Jacks-in-the-box. Lucy took Ryan’s hand in hers and said, “Ryan, I want you to meet Bobbie Tracey. Bobbie, this is—”

“Ryan – um, Barnes, right? We’ve met.”

Ryan’s face faded from smile to confusion. “Sorry, ma’am, I don’t quite recall where it was we met. Can you remind me?”

“Sure can.” Bobbie’s smile grew as she spoke. “I gave you a speeding ticket about two years ago. Pulled you over on the Curt Swan. You were doing, let’s see, I think it was ninety-eight in a sixty-five zone.”

“No ma’am, I remember that, and my speedometer only read—”

She laughed and waved at him. “It doesn’t matter, Ryan. It’s old news and I’m not here to bust you again. I don’t even know if you paid the ticket and I don’t care. I was invited for dinner, same as you, except I’m here with Clark.”

Ryan’s eyes widened and he said, “Oh.” Then he managed, “Okay.” He took a breath and added, “I did pay the ticket. It was my first moving violation.”

“Good. Didn’t impact your insurance premiums, did it?”

“Naw. They just told me I’d better not get another one for six months.”

“I take it that you didn’t.”

“Haven’t got one since then. Oh, I, uh, hope you don’t have your ticket book with you. My, uh, my pickup smokes something awful and I haven’t had time to take it to the shop.”

Lucy laughed with Bobbie and took Ryan’s arm, then led him to the table. “Mom, are we about ready to eat?”

“We are,” Ellen returned. “And Bobbie has volunteered to help me serve, so you can sit and flirt with Ryan.”

Ryan’s eyes widened again. “Oh, no, ma’am! Clark’s bigger’n me and his friend is too and besides she’s a cop! You better believe I’m on my best behavior tonight!”

Bobbie scooped out a modest helping of lasagna, took a single slice of bread, and sipped her tea. It was sweet, as she’d expected, but not tooth-rattling sweet like Clark’s was most of the time. She marveled that he still had such a terrific smile.

Of course, maybe there was a special reason – an other-worldly one – that he didn’t seem to need regular dental care. She added that to her mental evidence inventory.

She also reminded herself that she didn’t have anywhere near enough evidence for an arrest, much less a warrant. It was something to think about, though, something to occupy her mind and distract her from the stress of the evening. Standing in the kitchen with Ellen while the older woman nattered on about Lucy and Ryan’s relationship and how she hoped he really did love Lucy hadn’t settled her mind in the least. Bobbie was more tense now than when she’d knocked on Clark’s door.

She was doing her best not to show it, but she was extremely nervous, almost scared. This was Lois Lane’s family, a mother and daughter who’d practically adopted Clark after Lois’ death, two people he was still close to despite the loss of his potential future with Lois. Bobbie felt as if she’d walked up to home plate with two strikes against her before she’d seen the first pitch.

She refocused on the conversation as Ellen asked Ryan, “So, young man, is it really lack of time or actually a lack of funds that keeps your truck from being repaired?”

Ryan smiled at her. “Lack of time, ma’am. I’m a pretty fair electrician and a passable carpenter on little stuff, but cars and trucks give me fits so I don’t mess with ‘em if I can avoid it. I’d want it to run after I got done working on it.”

Ryan waited for the chuckle to run its course, then added, “I’d have to miss some work or ride in with someone or rent a car for a couple of days if I put my truck in the shop. And Lucy can’t give me a ride, cause her work schedule don’t match with mine.”

Lucy nudged Bobbie and said, “I’m surprised his truck ever did the speed limit, much less exceed it by that much.”

Bobbie smiled back. “That bad, huh?”

Lucy nodded. “He took out the bench seat in the back of the cab and made a tool storage locker out of the space. There’s a lot of extra weight back there, not to mention all the supplies he carries in the bed. Makes that six-cylinder motor work hard.”

Ryan pouted at her. “Hey, I don’t work for some big corporation. Benning Electric is a family shop, and we don’t got a big semi to haul supplies to the job for us. And I’m real particular about my ladders. They got to fit my legs just right or I’m not comfortable near the top.”

Ellen laughed. “I understand. I’m very particular about my scrubs, too.”

Ryan lifted his eyebrows. “Sorry, scrubs?”

“Nurse clothes,” Lucy supplied. “Those color-matched shirt and pants the nurses wear. They’re distinctive so doctors and other nurses know who’s trained for what things.”

Ryan nodded. “Sure, right. Lucy told me about ‘em but I forgot for a minute.”

“That’s okay, honey,” Lucy said. “I know more about electrical systems now than when we first met, but I still forget things I’m certain you’ve already explained to me.”

Bobbie decided to divert some attention away from herself. She nudged Lucy and stage-whispered, “‘Honey’? Should your mother brace herself for an announcement of some kind?”

Lucy giggled. Clark smiled. Ellen turned her head and glared at her daughter in obvious mock surprise.

Ryan looked horrified. “Wh – what? Announcement? Lucy, what’re you tellin’ your mom and your friends?”

Clark and the three women all burst out laughing. Then Clark said, “Hey, Ryan, don’t sweat it. It’s just that it looks like Bobbie and Lucy bonded a little quicker than I thought they would.”

Still smiling wide, Ellen dabbed at her lips with her napkin, then said, “Bobbie, I don’t think I’ve heard how you and Clark met. I bet it was some kind of story he was working on, wasn’t it?”

Bobbie sobered immediately. It was a question – the question – she hadn’t anticipated being asked tonight, hadn’t wanted to answer tonight, and especially hadn’t believed she’d be asked by Clark’s almost-might-have-been mother-in-law.

She licked her lips and opened her mouth to say something – anything – when Lucy hissed, “Mom! I told you—” then sucked in a breath through her teeth and didn’t finish her sentence.

Ellen sobered too. “Oh, dear, I’ve put my foot in it, haven’t I? I’m so sorry, Bobbie, Clark. I completely forgot that Lucy had asked me not to mention that. She didn’t tell me why and I – I’m truly sorry. Please forget I even brought up the subject.”

Bobbie gently put her fork down on her plate and looked at Ellen. “No. I’m sorry. I assumed Lucy or Clark would have told you already, but since neither of them tackled that task, I’ll tell you.”

Ellen raised her hand. “No, really, you don’t have to if you don’t want to.”

Bobbie shook her head. “There’s no reason you shouldn’t know.” She paused and took a breath, then let it out, conscious of Ellen’s slightly guilty look and Ryan’s silent curiosity. “Clark and I met a little more than six months ago in the cemetery. He was there—”

Bobbie paused when Ellen gasped lightly but didn’t speak. Bobbie turned to face the far wall and continued, “He was there visiting Lois’ grave, and yes, I already knew a lot about her before tonight because Clark has told me a lot. And he knows why I was there. I was visiting my partner’s grave that morning. We talked about why we were there, told each other that we each felt responsible for those graves being filled, and we mutually decided that we both needed someone to vent with, someone who really understood what each of us was experiencing. Since then, we’ve become friends – really good friends – and Lucy was kind enough to invite us to dinner with the three of you tonight and it’s really good and I think I like all of you a lot and I’m deeply sorry to have clobbered the mood so badly.”

Bobbie closed her eyes and sat still and statue-like for a long breath. She heard someone stand, and after a brief moment two arms surrounded her in a motherly hug.

Bobbie opened her eyes to see Ellen Lane – Lois’ mother – hugging her tightly. She was shocked. That one act spoke volumes about how Ellen felt about Clark, about Bobbie, about how she viewed a possible relationship between Bobbie and Clark, and about her own regret for having introduced the subject.

Bobbie heard the older woman’s quiet voice in her ear, saying, “I’m so sorry, Bobbie, I’m so sorry you lost someone close to you, I’m sorry I hit you in the face with your grief, and I’m sorry for the pain I know you’ve gone through. But I’m not sorry you’re here with us tonight. Clark is a very good man, and if he trusted you enough to bring you here with him, it means that you’re a very good person. I’m so very glad you’re his friend.”

That did it. Bobbie lost control, grabbed Ellen’s arm to hold on for dear life, and burst out in tears. Then Lucy encircled her from the other side and added her tears.

Bobbie half-expected Clark to join them, but she heard chairs scrape across the floor and knew that the men had left the table to give the ladies some room. Bobbie wept for nearly a full minute before she calmed down long enough to speak coherently.

She wiped her eyes and put her mouth close to Ellen’s ear. “Ellen, would you mind if – if Clark and I – and we aren’t yet and we haven’t talked – but if I wanted to – to get closer to him – do I have your – your permission?”

“Oh. Dear, you aren’t thinking Clark is looking for Lois’ replacement, are you?”

“Uh – no, not Clark. I just wanted to – I don’t want you to think – that is – oh, nuts! I don’t know how to say this!”

Ellen chuckled, then lifted her head and kissed Bobbie on the cheek. “You’re not Lois. And you should never, ever try to be her. She was unique and irreplaceable, just as you are unique and irreplaceable. You just be you, and if you and Clark decide to be something unique and irreplaceable together, I’ll be thrilled.”

“Me too,” whispered Lucy. “Me too.”

Bobbie would have thanked them both had her mouth been working properly.

Clark followed Ryan into the living room and sat down in the recliner as Ryan took the easy chair. “I had to get out of there, man,” Ryan said quietly. “I can’t take it when women get all weepy together at the same time. Makes me want to break down and join them.”

Clark looked at Ryan’s clear eyes and relaxed body language. Then he nodded at the man. “I know. I thought about joining them myself.”

Ryan leaned back. “Probably best you didn’t. I had four older sisters at home, and I learned early to let them cry together and bond. We’ll go back in for dessert when they’re done drying each other’s faces.” He lifted one hand, palm out. “Air high five, man.”

Clark grinned and pushed his palm in Ryan’s direction. He didn’t know if this man was Lucy’s soul mate or best friend or what, but the young man had unexpected depth. Clark wondered if Ryan had a loss similar to Clark’s in his life, but he’d never ask him. If Ryan wanted Clark to know, Ryan or Lucy would tell him.

Ryan chose that moment to grin at him. “Don’t spill the beans, okay, but I heard a rumor from Lucy that they might pull out one of their board games tonight. With this many players, Monopoly would be very competitive.”

Clark smiled back. “Yeah, it would. And I’d own all your properties by the end and drive you into bankruptcy.”

Ryan snorted softly. “I ain’t scared o’ you, Kansas. You might be a meanie on the board, but you’ve likely never seen Ellen play. She’s like a tiger shark, dude. You land on a property and don’t buy it, she snaps it up like it’s a stack of unguarded hundreds. Outbids the other players and crows about it. Loud. They use the Free Parking rule, too, and I’ve seen six grand in the middle of the board more’n once.” At Clark’s raised eyebrow, he added, “Lucy went out and bought an extra money tray a few weeks ago. Good thing, too, cause Ellen’s tough to out-bid.”

“I consider myself warned.” Clark tried to communicate more than his thanks for the game tip. “And – thank you.”

Ryan looked at him for a moment, then nodded slowly. “You’re welcome.”

Ryan’s attention focused on the next room for a moment. “I think we have some time to chat. I did some rewiring out in the garage last month, and I found what I think was some of your handiwork.”

“Sorry if it wasn’t up to code. I didn’t have a whole lot of tools to work with, and I’m just a casual fixer-upper.”

Ryan shook his head. “Naw, man, I wasn’t talking smack, I was gonna say it was pretty good work. The electrical stuff was good and solid. I didn’t have to redo any of it.” He tilted his head and brushed the end of his nose. “I’m guessin’ you didn’t run that air conditioner drain, though.”

“Not my work, no. Are you saying that some of it wasn’t up to code?”

“Sure wasn’t. It was backing up into the drip pan because the copper pipe was just lying on the concrete, not secured to anything, and someone or something had pushed up the middle so that it was the highest point in the line. It wouldn’t drain for nothin’. The drip pan had green mold growing in it. Had to scoop it out and bleach it clean before I could fix it or it would’a just got clogged again.”

“Glad you took care of it. I didn’t even think to check it.”

“No problem, dude. Like I said, I knew it wasn’t your work when I saw it. Anybody that careful with electrical lines wouldn’t make a dumb mistake like that with a simple drain. Probably from the previous homeowner, or maybe some careless A/C tech. Anyway, it’s fixed now and the house smells a little cleaner.”

“Good for you, Ryan. You seem to have a solid handle on life. Your life, anyway.”

“Thanks. Uh, can I tell you something? Something – um – kinda personal?”

“Sure. I promise not to be offended.”

“Uh – actually, it’s – it’s real personal. So maybe I better not say it at all.”

Now Clark was intrigued. “That’s your choice, of course, but I don’t mind. Please, go ahead.”

Ryan ducked his head and hesitated, then muttered, “Even if it’s about you and Bobbie?”

Clark went still for a moment, then remembered to breathe. Ryan might get curious if he didn’t breathe for a while.

After a long moment, Clark said, “Yes, it’s okay. As long as you understand that I reserve the right of declining your counsel.”

Ryan looked up at him and frowned for a moment, then his face cleared and he nodded. “Yeah, right. I got ya.”

Ryan squared his shoulders and moved his head as if loosening his neck. “Lucy’s told me a lot about you and – and her sister. She told me that you and Lois were like—” he held up one hand with the thumb and index finger almost touching “—this close to getting engaged when she – when she passed away. She said you were real bad tore up when it happened, too. Like I think I might be if Lucy died suddenly before we – while we’re still dating.”

Clark waited for Ryan to speak again, but the other man only looked at Clark as if asking permission to continue. “None of that is a secret, Ryan. I think it’s been pretty evident for the past year and a half.”

Ryan nodded. “Yeah, but now you come over with this other lady, Bobbie, and she’s a cop, man, a cop! She’s pretty cool, okay, and she apologized to me for having to give me that ticket when she handed it to me even though she told me I’d forced her to write me up cause I was driving so fast. So I ain’t mad at her one bit, okay? In fact, tonight I saw her looking at you a couple of times, and she looked a lot like Lucy did after we’d been dating for a while, like the thought of a future with you didn’t make her wanna toss her cookies.”

Clark tried not to react, but he couldn’t help it. He tried to stifle the laugh but it came out as a snort. “Thanks, I think.”

“Anyway, what I’m trying to say in my very un-clever way is that if you and Bobbie decide you got a future together, Ellen and Lucy both would be totally cool with it. They don’t wanna make the decision for you, but after the way Lucy talked up Bobbie this past Monday night at dinner they might plan y’all’s honeymoon for you.”

Clark tried not to react, but he couldn’t keep his mouth closed or his eyes at normal diameter. “You – they – that was the conversation at dinner?!”

“Don’t get me wrong, man, they’re not gonna play matchmaker for you guys. They just want you to be happy. Dude, the way they talked you up when I first had dinner here, I almost got jealous of you. Lucy and Ellen both think you’re at least the second best thing since sliced bread and peanut butter. I was worried I didn’t have much of a chance with Lucy if you were gonna be around. But now that I met you and I know you’re a righteous guy, I think I agree with them. You’re a really nice guy and you deserve some happiness.”

Clark sat back and tried to absorb some of this new information. “Wow. Thanks, Ryan. I appreciate the sentiment. But let’s not forget that Bobbie has some choice in the matter, too.”

“Course she does. And I wasn’t tryin’ to push you into something’ y’all ain’t ready to do.” Ryan leaned over and looked into the dining room for a moment, then straightened and shifted closer to Clark. “But I will tell you this, okay, and it’s the last thing. Ellen said that night that if Bobbie was anything like Lucy said she seemed like, you should grab her and never let go.”

Clark’s jaw dropped again. “Ellen? Lois’ mother said that?”

“Yes.” Ryan smiled – a bit smugly, Clark thought – and moved back to his original position. “So, heard any good news rumors lately?”

As Lucy had expected, her mother had cornered more monopolies than anyone else and had built up the properties to increase the rents. The woman had put on a fake Scottish accent, trying to imitate Scrooge McDuck. All Ellen lacked was feathers and a bill.

At the moment, she was chuckling at Ryan, who sighed dramatically and turned the last of his already mortgaged properties over to her to satisfy his debt. He’d had the misfortune to land on Pacific Avenue without enough cash to satisfy a four-house rent. Ellen rubbed her hands together and all but cackled at him.

“Gotcha, Ryan!” she crowed. “You’re bankrupt! Go join Clark and Lucy in the poorhouse!”

Bobbie surprised Lucy when she said, “Hey, I’m the one who put Clark there. I’d cackle later if I were you.”

“Ha! I’m one up on you! I drove Lucy out!”

“Only because I set her up for you. She landed on my hotel on Ventnor three consecutive trips around the board. I ended up with both utilities and all four railroads.” Bobbie gave Ellen an evil glare. “Your turn, lady. And don’t roll those dice too fast or I’ll have to write you a ticket.”

“Oh, I’m scared now! How’s about I just bankrupt you? I’d do it just for fun!”

Bobbie smiled at her. “I thought that’s what games were supposed to be, fun. Roll ‘em.”

Ellen rattled the dice in her hand and dropped them in the middle of the game board. The seven pips showing sent her to Community Chest.

She drew the top card and looked at it. “Oh, dear. Lucy, where’s your calculator?”

Lucy sniggered and walked to her purse on the nearby cabinet. “I think Mom has the tax assessment card. Pay what, thirty-five for every house and fifty-five for each hotel?”

Ellen accepted the calculator, switched it on, and started pushing buttons. “Six hotels, and – let’s see – twenty-seven houses – add to memory – that’s – that can’t be right.”

Clark shook his head. “If it says one thousand two hundred seventy-five, then it’s right.”

“That’s ridiculous!” Ellen fumed. “I’ve never paid that much for an assessment on a real house!”

Ryan put in, “Hey, crime’s way down in Metropolis since Superman got here. Dude’s responsible for property values going up and property tax rates going down. Least that’s what my boss tells me. Ain’t that so, Luce?”

Lucy smiled at him. “That’s what the city council said when they lowered the tax rate last year. Fewer violent crimes, less property crime, safer neighborhoods, fewer insurance damage claims and payouts, so yeah, Superman’s at least partly responsible.”

Lucy glanced at Clark, who – unaccountably – actually looked a little bit embarrassed. How could that be? Why would praise for Superman make Clark’s cheeks redden? Was he still thinking about Lucy’s tirade against Superman? Hadn’t he believed her when she’d told him she’d been wrong, that she’d only been reacting to Lois’ death?

And why did Bobbie have this calculating look on her face? Was she hoping to land on Free Parking? Or was it something else?

Bobbie pointed to the middle of the board. “We’re getting off the rails, folks. Ellen Lane needs to put twelve hundred smackers in Free Parking. And I’m only eight spaces away.”

“Don’t forget the other seventy-five dollars,” Clark added.

Ellen shot him a dirty look, then counted out her assessment. “There! I hope somebody chokes on it!”

Bobbie picked up the dice and rolled.

They showed two fours. Eight the hard way.

Bobbie moved her thimble to Free Parking, reached for the pile of Monopoly cash in the middle of the board, then stopped and took a long drink of tea. She put her glass down and breathed, “Ahhh. Now that my throat’s good and wet, I don’t think I’ll choke.”

She raked in the money and sorted it into piles by denomination as Clark, Ryan, and Lucy all howled.

After a moment, Ellen joined in.

Clark smiled at the gathering at the front door. The evening had taken some unexpected twists and turns, but in the end they’d all had an excellent time. Bobbie had proven herself resilient and fun to be around, and he thought everyone had enjoyed meeting her.

As opposed to having her bankrupt him out of the Monopoly game. He hadn’t liked that, but only because he liked to win. Bobbie was a fiercer competitor than Clark had expected, although he’d noticed that she’d never tried to bend the rules or force anyone to do things her way.

Ellen handed Bobbie’s coat to her – Clark was expected to fetch his own – then grasped her hand. “Bobbie, you come on back whenever you have the time. You’re a fun young lady, far too good for the likes of Clark Kent.”

They shared a laugh. “I haven’t met Clark’s mom yet, but she might have the opposite opinion.”

“Nonsense! Martha is a sensible, mature, grown-up woman. She’ll love you at first sight.” Then Ellen leaned closer and lowered her voice. “And if she doesn’t, just let me know. I’ll straighten her out.”

Bobbie smiled back at Ellen and almost whispered back, “I don’t doubt it. Good night, Ellen. And thank you so very much for everything. I really felt at home tonight.”

Ellen grinned. “Then you’ll have to come back, young lady. You and Lucy can argue the finer points of the law next time.”

“No way,” Bobbie said. “I don’t try them, I just arrest them. Convicting them is somebody else’s job.”

“Hey!” Lucy snapped. “My boss defends the people you arrest! They deserve competent legal representation too!”

Bobbie fixed her with one raised eyebrow and one lowered one, reminding Clark of the pro wrestler The Rock. “Then that’s what we can argue about, representing scum in criminal court.”

Lucy gave back a predatory grin. “You better come locked and loaded, then. I’ve learned a lot, and I think I can flatten you. Forensically speaking, of course.”

Bobbie’s eyes widened and she took a quick breath, but Clark turned Bobbie’s shoulders and aimed her at the open front door before she could speak. “Good night everyone she’s my ride had a great time Lucy terrific meal Ellen good to meet you Ryan come on Bobbie it’s getting late and you need to get me home.”

By the time he’d run out of words, they were halfway down the sidewalk with the whoops and cackles of two laughing Lanes pursuing them.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing