Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
In the show there are four episodes in which Clark's powers are transferred to another person. A Bolt from the Blue, Ultra Woman, Chip off the Old Clark, and I've Got You Under My Skin (Though this one is different because someone transfers themselves into Clark, so it doesn't exactly count). In all of these episodes, there is not a situation in which GREEN Kryptonite is used against the new super. So I don't have anything in the show to indicate what might happen if Resplendit Man or Ultra Woman or that little boy had been exposed to green kryptonite.

So, what would happen if this new super had been exposed to green kryptonite? Does the kryptonite affect the Kryptonian body only, or is this negative side of Superman also transferred when his powers are transferred? Is it no effect? Same effect? Perhaps even worse than Clark's experiences because the human body can't handle it??

Same situation but the other side of the coin: In Ultra Woman, Clark had zero powers. If he had been exposed to green kryptonite in this state, would he feel a response? Again, does the kryptonite affect the Kryptonian body specifically?

Have any fics addressed this already? I'll admit that I can't remember reading any fics that involve a transfer of his powers. I would find it hard to believe that this is because there aren't any, so if you know some, please let me know.

In the end, I will probably do whatever works best for my story, but I'm curious to know if this has already been thought about. Any and all answers appreciated. Thanks!

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.
B
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
B
Hey Jelly,
well, that is a difficult question and according which fandom you explore and who you ask you will certainly get different answers.
My headcanon is the following:
As for Waldecker and the little boy, some of Clark's sun-radiation-absorbing cells, along with the ability to metabolize the sunlight, are tranfered to by the Lightning to the Victim X.
that means, X is able to use this powers as long as this cells work. Wenn they are all "used", X is not able to absorb/convert further sunlight, leaving X powerless. This implicates that X, while having access on the powers to to the transferred cells, basically has still a human physiology and, thus, X shuldn't be affected by the Kryptonite at all.
Ultrawoman, on the other hand, is a different case. Due to the red Kryptonite, the physical attributes of Clark and X are basically "swapped", leaving Clark with a human and X with a Kryptonian, sun-radiation absorbing, physiology. That includes a weakness for Kryptonite in case of X. Clark, owever, gets no longer affected because he is basically a human now.
How exactly that works? Well, ask Dr. Klein. :-)
As for Woody Sams, it's a mental, not a physical body swap. That said, the person in Clark's body has both powers and Kryptonite weakness while the person in X's body has neither of them. Despite the show suggest different, everything else wouldn't make sense to me.
As for the Question wether Green K affects humans or not, I'll say yes, but not in the way it does to Kryptonians. However, Green K is still a radioactive substance, so is someone human is exposed to it multiple times, it could be harmful, though I doubt X would end up as a "meteor freak" like "Smallville" suggests.

OK, as for storys, the only example featuring both a power transfer/switch and Kryptonite coming to my mind is KenJ's Matchmaker series. In one of this universes, the laser incident happens, making Lois a full Kryptonian including a green K weakness, while her Clark counterparts is killes in his human form. That goes even so far that a group of New Kryps later says Clark transferred his Kryptonian essence to Lois, therefore considering a child of this Lois with an alternate Clark still as their Kal-El's child despite it was not conceived by their Kal, respectively.
I hope that was helpful, but like said earlier, there are many ways of interpretation here, this are just my two cents on it.

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
In my "Road" trilogy, Lois gets Clark's powers but Clark keeps his own. Green K still affects Clark as before, but it only suppresses Lois' powers. That comes into play at the end of "Further On Down The Road" and the later middle of "The End Of The Road," parts 2 and 3 respectively.

BP's explanation as to why the "quick zap" powers don't stay is reasonable. As to her suggestion that humans with long-term exposure to Kryptonite suffer from the radiation is handled well in Shane Terry's "Family Hour."

I'm sure there are more, but I can't bring any to mind at the moment.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Features Writer
Features Writer
In C. Leuch's Bolt, From Dubuque lightning strikes an AU Clark as a college student and another college student, Kevin Jones who becomes Bolt, the world's first superhero who inspires Clark to become Superman. Both of them are affected when exposed to green kryptonite, Clark more severely than Kevin. Both lose their powers temporarily.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

B
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
B
Hey Terry,
Quote:
BP's explanation as to why the "quick zap" powers don't stay is reasonable. As to her suggestion that humans with long-term exposure to Kryptonite suffer from the radiation is handled well in Shane Terry's "Family Hour."
Oh, yes, Family Hour is a great Story, too. Just a random note for you, Terry, wrong gender for me :-)

Nick

Last edited by BlindPassenger; 12/17/20 04:16 AM.

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi JellyS2,

I wrote a very short story some time back (Wells' Revenge) which addresses a version of your question, albeit in a way that was intended to be surprising and humorous rather than serious. I don't recall having read any other fanfic on the topic.

- Lynn

JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh good! Lots to think about!

BlindPassenger: I was just reading about the sun-radiation-absorbing cells. It was fascinating. My husband pointed out that what happens would depend on the nature of the powers in the first place and the mechanism of transfer. Since it is not common knowledge that the powers disappear over time, I wonder what bad guys would do to keep from losing their powers if they did know... (oh my, a whole bunch of plot bunnies just appears beside me...) Thinking of the transfer as a switch of the essence of being Kryptonian is interesting as well. And thanks for the story recommendation. Your two cents are appreciated!

Terry: Interesting. So Lois feels no pain. Does it suppress Lois's powers because the transfer is not "full"? Would she be able to touch the rock to throw it away in a situation where she and Clark were trapped with it? Thanks for the stories!

Cuidadora: It sounds like in this story AU Clark still has his powers. Does the story explain why Clark was affected more severely than Kevin? I'll add that story to my list! Thanks! (And Hi by the way smile Long time no see!)

Lynn: Oh that is funny. I hadn't even thought of that! That's hilarious. Talk about your unintended consequences. Thank you for that!

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.
Features Writer
Features Writer
Hi back, JellyS2!

Spoiler follows.

I think the only explanation was that Kevin thought when they were hit by lightning that part of Clark passed into Kevin. I don't think it was ever explained further, or why they had two different reactions. I'm hypothesizing that because he didn't have as much of whatever was supposed to have passed into him as Clark had, the kryptonite didn't affect him as strongly. And he was still human with Kryptonian powers rather than being 100% Kryptonian, so the poison may affect him differently. Clark passed out, since it was his first encounter, and eventually recovered his powers, similar to GGGoH.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
@JellyS2: You'd have to read Further On Down the Road to get the full explanation, but the short version is that Lois and Clark are electrocuted at the same time by someone trying to kill both. Kal-El's globe is an AI sent to keep Kryptonian culture alive and advise Kal-El. Lana (Clark's first wife) named it "Bob." *gasp* First wife?!

Please remember also that this is the middle story of a trilogy. Part 1 is The Road Taken, and part 3 is The End Of The Road. I had a one knee replaced and both shoulders repaired between the second and third stories, which is part of the reason there's a big gap between them. I was also fighting my muses - who are apparently both ADOS (Attention Deficit Ooh Shiny!) and wanted to work on other stuff.

The explanation for some FoLCs' surprised gasp at the end of the first paragraph is in part 1. Happy reading!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Features Writer
Features Writer
I remembered another story. In Nan Smith's Alt World Series, the final story, How I Spent My Christmas Vacation — One Year Later, has Alt-Lois obtaining Alt-Clark's powers from the Newtrich sisters' red kryptonite laser. Both are similarly affected by green kryptonite. Both also get their powers back when exposed to sunlight; according to Dr. Klein it recharges their solar batteries. Alt-Lois' powers are not as strong as Alt-Clark's, supposedly because she cannot recharge 100%, which is what she received initially.
The whole series is delightful. This is the link for her Series Guide

Cuidadora

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
At least one version of the comic continuity Luthor wears a kryptonite ring so Superman can't come near him. This gives him cancer eventually.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard