Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#288139 01/09/21 01:39 PM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I came upon this old vignette while I was clearing off my computer's desktop.

All feedback appreciated.

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
*Squee!!!* This is so adorable and sweet and I love it!!! clap

Also, there's something a bit hilarious about Clark treating superpowers the same way as tea preferences. laugh "I like lapsang suchong, I can fly, and I also take my tea with lemon. You?"

~•~
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Okay, I must admit that I don't get why he would spill his secret like this. But I kind of like the twist anyway. Perhaps this this tea is some kryptonian equivalent of strong ale?

Just a thought.... goofy

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Queenie and Bakasi,

Queenie, I am glad you enjoyed this ficlet so much, and that you saw the humour in how casually this Clark views his own powers.

Bakasi, thank you for your honest feedback. Could you elaborate on what you wrote? Did you find this reveal to be too early? (I agree it is a bit early, but I always saw this game as a perfect opening for him.) Too casual? Did the lines that struck Queenie as humorous strike you simply as implausible? Was it something else?

Thanks,
Lynn

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Lynn, I don't think it was implausible for him to share his secret at this point, it just runs counter to his ingrained "dissect you like a frog" caution. But it shows how much he trusts already Lois. I mean, why else would he share something so intimate as his tea preferences?

Truly a sweet vignette. I can see this happening, although the series writers would never have done this because it would have sucked most of the interpersonal tension out of the relationship drama. And that's why we have fanfic, to "fix" all the things the series writers could have done better. And this would have been a terrific moment for him to spill that secret.

Then we could do all sorts of things to push them apart for a while - Lois pulls away because she's a little in awe of Superman; Clark lets her because he's not certain whether she loves him or the cape. So it could have gone exactly like this and still been a thrill ride.

clap

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Okay, maybe I'm overanalysing things here. But this is one of the first times Lois treats Clark with a modicum of respect.It just seems OOC for me that he would share his secret with Lois now after he has kept it from everyone else.

But then, I'm a strong supporter of Clark's decision to delay telling her until he knows that she loves Clark, too.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Cute story! Very sweet! I do agree with the sentiment that it would have been too early for Clark to trust spilling the secret, the "what-if" is just so much fun to consider. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hello all,

Bakasi, thank you for the clarification. You make a good point about Lois's behaviour. To be completely honest, I've always found S1's "Mad Dog Lane" rather off-putting myself; but Clark obviously saw something in her that I myself did not.

Terry, I like the way you envisioned the alternate version of the show.

DC, always room for one more revelation story?

Be well,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
DC, always room for one more revelation story?

Always! smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Features Writer
Features Writer
Perfect lead in. I wish this had been an out-take or something on the show :P

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thank you, Blueowl. That would have been fun.

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
My own unsolicited opinion.

Lynn, I am so grateful you “Came across this old vignette on your computer” and then decided to share it with us.

I don’t care if it was “too early in their relationship. I don’t care if it was in tune with the “dissect him like a frog ongoing theme.”

This was a DELIGHTFUL short , short story. Fun, giggling whimsical and such a joyous treasure to read. I always loved the balcony scene and this enhanced version of that scene was like pouring hot, gooey fudge sauce over MY FAVORITE ice cream “Moose Tracks.” Sorry Lois.

After the events at the Capitol last week, this tale was just what my soul needed. Just my humble opinion.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sweet, wonderful, whimsical. Sometimes that's all.

No need for heavy analysis.

Thanks.
sloppy

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hello SupesFan and Morgana,

Any smiles my story may have given you have been returned multiple times with your feedback. laugh Thank you.

SupesFan -- You've done something that has never been done before: Your description of my story sounds so delicious, you've made me want to eat my words. wink Seriously, though, I'm glad my story was able to provide you a bit of respite from the news. (I'll admit that between the riot and its aftermath, I have been spending a lot more time than usual myself glued to my TV screen watching events unfold.)

Thanks again,
Lynn

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Great story. And I think I could see Clark grabbing the opening and cannonballing through all of the angst. Getting it out before Lois could get a head of steam would be crucial. Though he'd probably be a basket case for a week afterwards staring into space and repeating to himself "I can't believe I did that."

By the way, I love that poem. I used that poem when I proposed to FarmerBabe almost 30 years ago.

Shallowford
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Shallowford,

I can think of no better quote to use in a proposal. Congratulations on almost three decades of marriage.

Yeah, I could see Clark having retroactive angst. I could also see Martha knocking some sense into his head about it.

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review.

Be well,
Lynn

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Hey! Catching up on my Kerth reading and I came across this. smile

I love the way Clark handled the question! laugh I do always love watching my favourite characters do stuff like that - Invisible or Fly, Truth or Dare etc.. Good job!

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Anna B. the Greek,

Thank you for leaving feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

I know there are any number of reasons why the writers of the show would never have had this scene play out the way I did (too early in the L&C relationship, too early in the show, etc.), but when I first watched the show, a part of me had half-expected something like this to happen. Well, as Terry mentioned above, I guess this is one of the reasons that fanfic flourishes. smile

Joy,
Lynn

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Oh, this was a sweet little vignette!! love What a fun place for a revelation. laugh

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Sara,

Thank you. BTW, I've long meant to mention that I love your "KSaraSara" handle. What a fun bit of wordplay. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard