Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#288115 01/04/21 11:57 AM
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Story is here: http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/288110/kerth-challenge-1-dumped-1-1#Post288110

Story went up at I-Should-Be-Asleep O'clock, so I didn't have the energy to create an FDK thread at the time. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the story; romance isn't quite my wheelhouse, but I did my best. ^_^

~•~
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Come on, you can't be serious. 1/1? You meant to write 1/?, didn't you? So many questions? What happened to Clark? Why is Lois not surprised that Clark lost his memory?

This screams sequel! Please come back with more. Pretty please? grovel

Loved this tidbit. You have me hooked.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Queenie,

I just finished reading your story and my original assessment based on the first couple of paragraphs stands: I wish my writing were a tenth as good as yours. And it is not merely idle flattery; it is a simple fact. For example, your writing excels at engaging the reader's senses. You also are an expert at letting the reader know things without explicitly telling them. And of course, your use of humour is legendary. I especially enjoyed the diaper reference at the end, not to mention the "I-Should-Be-Asleep O'Clock above. (I think our muses conspired to keep us both awake last night. I had actually had my main idea for the story as soon as I read the challenge the day it was posted, but it was only last night/this morning that the proper hook for the story came to me.)

Romance may not be your wheelhouse, but that doesn't mean you can't do it well when you wish. This story is definitely a case in point. smile

I hope your muse pays you visits a lot more frequently, but that she does so at more convenient times.

Be well,
Lynn

p.s., I second Bakasi's request for the continuation of this story, should you and your muse be so inclined.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
What??? dizzy help

Okay, this is not fair, come back and finish this fic!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Another short tale by The Masterful Mistress of Short Tales! smile1

It's fun! It's tricky! It's full of love and tenderness and surprises!

And it also - sorry, Sweetie. Spoilers!

Anyway, I liked it a lot. It started like a rewrite of All Shook Up, but it's actually much better than that. The opening

The first thing he noticed when he came to was the smell. A complex odor of staleness and rottenness congealed in his nostrils, choking him into an unwillingly-woken state. It smelled like garbage, only worse, as if someone had taken the contents of a dumpster and multiplied it by several thousand…

…Oh.
was perfect. Couldn't have set the mood more effectively. And the reunion? Priceless. Beautiful.

You even got my favorite dramatic element - conflict - into this short tale. Wonderful. It's just too bad that it's a tiny bit late for the 2020 Kerths. Oh, well, there's always next year. You'll have my nomination.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Now wait just a minute, young lady! You get back here and finish what you started!

Seriously, how can you leave us hanging like that?? It's such a bittersweet story. I loved every moment. I think you captured Clark's confusion (and the really, really gross atmosphere) very well. Kudos for such a short, but effective, story!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Thanks for all the love, guys! blush grin

I may or may not write a sequel; we'll see. But as far as long fics go, I'm still past overdue on both OBWAT and Lois Lane's Travels, so I'm not in a hurry to add another long one to my to-do list. This will have to stay bits and pieces, and that's assuming it gets continued at all. I will say, though, that it felt good to be writing and posting again. smile

~•~
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Oh, this was really good! I love the details came about slowly and we could feel Clark’s confusion along with him. I’m assuming he had to go after another asteroid! And… I think I’ve finally read the first in the series that I’ve been reading out of order, right? lol Is there a little TOC for this series in order?

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Hi Sara! wave and thanks! laugh

These were all written for last year's Kerth challenges, though I couldn't manage all of them. In order, they are:

*Dumped (A romantic scene in an unromantic setting)

*Scraps (Someone gets a text with a time, location, and warning)

*Recycling (Clark becomes a spy instead of a reporter)

*Ten Minutes Ago (Story based on next song you hear)

*Dinner Conversation (Someone witnesses Clark's one-man ballgame.)

And that's all of them so far. ^_^

Last edited by Queen of the Capes; 02/10/22 08:05 PM.

~•~
Features Writer
Features Writer
This seems like it could lead into a really big fic....
But anyway, definitely an enjoyable read. Sometimes it's nice to have a little snippet like this that tickles the 'what if there was more?' question.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Hi Mary!

I’m working my way back through some…older stuff.

The first thing he noticed when he came to was the smell.
Oh dumped, not dumped.

as if someone had taken the contents of a dumpster and multiplied it by several thousand…

…Oh.
laugh
LOIS: Kryptonite plus help from Louie equals a trip to the Metropolis dump.

only to realize that he knew absolutely nothing, not even about himself.
Oh. Is he naked? Did he try to stop an asteroid?

She was angry…at him? At something he had done?
So, another Nightfall? After they got together?

She was angry. Furious. He had wanted to apologize to her for something, but she wasn’t there.
After they broke up?
LOIS: You mean, after he broke up with me for my own good?

Did he somehow deserve being here?
Probably.
Was this her revenge? Likely.

[quote]“Clark!”
Aww, she wants him back smile1
LOIS /sniffs/: okay, nope. Changed my mind. Keep him. /takes out transducer/ Herb. You remember how you said you owe me? Yeah, it’s time to pay up. I want a fresh Clark. Don’t care. Fine. Just get me one that has lost his Lois.

“I’m your wife,”
So, it’s past their break ups.

“I’m Lois Lane Kent, and you’re Clark Kent, AKA Superman.”
So, alone on her mission to find him?

If you don’t remember me, that’s…that’s fine. We’ll work with what we got.”
Awwww… so, she doesn’t realize she just needs to kiss him to get his memories back?

and then discuss what we’re going to tell the kids.”
KIDS: Yes. Shower. You guys are *filthy*. And no, we don’t want to know what you did to get both so filthy.

At least after this, diaper-duty won’t seem so bad.”
laugh So, why are their 17 y/o twins still in diapers?

He leaned forward, inhaling the whiff of perfume at her neck like a literal breath of fresh air.
Aww … that’s still recognizable?

Very entertaining little bit. Just enough details to give context. Not enough to turn it into an epic clap

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard