Okay, I don't know what's going on, but somehow my muse is working overtime. And you guys have to bear the brunt of it. Hope you like this bit of sillyness.

Gotta Love The Irony

Snow was falling as Tempus stepped out of the time window and pushed the button to close it right after him. His gaze wandered to the larger than life statue of Superman and Lois that dominated the plaza. His arch enemy seemed to be staring at him from above, making Tempus feel awfully small. He gritted his teeth and looked around. There was not a drone to be seen. Quickly, he dropped the bag he held in his hands and kneeled down to withdraw the set of aerosol cans filled with graffiti colors that he had recently obtained in the 1990s. With a smirk, he sprayed some profanities onto Superman’s boots.

He grinned as he imagined the faces people would pull when they detected his deed the next morning. The thought filled him with a deep sense of satisfaction. Little actions like these were the only things that made his irregular visits to Utopia bearable. That, and the fact that he was going to see his daughter and granddaughter. Tempus shouldered his bag and hurried across the plaza, making his way to the part of town where his daughter lived.

For a Utopian, she was quite okay. Getting herself pregnant at the age of fifteen wasn’t quite his idea of rebellious behavior. But it was a start. At least, she hadn’t had any lasting relationship with the father of her daughter. And she was still young enough to be influenced in a way that maybe one day she would step into her father’s shoes.
Tempus rang the bell as he reached the apartment building where his daughter lived. A couple of minutes later, he was greated by the beaming smiles of the two women in his life that he actually loved dearly.

“Daddy!” His daughter Autumna gave him a peck on the cheek.

“Gramps!” Hora, a lively nine year old girl squealed. She almost ran him down as she embraced him.

“Merry Christmas, you two,” Tempus said. He felt his own cheeks raise in a smile and couldn’t quite help himself. “Look, what I have for you, Sweety.” He pulled a toy nerf gun from his bag and silently promised himself that he would show her the real thing as soon as she was old enough.

“Thank you,” Hora said. “What’s this?” She eyed the gun from all sides.

“Something you can use to shoot…” he interrupted himself at her puzzled expression. “Nevermind. I’m going to show you later.”

Hora grabbed Tempus’ hand and pulled him with her. “Look, what I got for Christmas.”

Together they stumbled into the living room. A large Christmas tree seemed to take up most of the small space. Hora let go of him and grabbed a small red case from the floor that she proudly presented.

Tempus frowned. “A doctor’s kit? Aren’t you a bit old for that?”

Autumna blushed. “I told her so myself, but she insisted.”

“I’m going to be a doctor when I’m grown.” Hora explained. “I’ve got to start practicing as soon as possible.”

“That’s all very nice, Sweety,” Tempus said. He felt slightly sick. “But perhaps you might consider a more interesting career.”

“Well, she does have the required grades.” Autumna smiled.

Hora winked at Tempus conspiratorially. “That’s because I cheated,” she whispered.

Tempus pulled her in a firm embrace. “Well done, my girl. Did you break into the staff room? You must tell me all about it. I bet you could make a fine villain someday.”

“A what?” Hora frowned. “Gramps, you’re so funny. No, I didn’t need to break in. I just saw the results. And I don’t want to be a villain. I’m born to be a doctor. It’s so exciting!
Imagine, Gramps, last month, I developed x-ray vision!”

The End

It's never too dark to be cool. cool