Injustice
Folc4evernaday
Chapter 10: Louder Than a Lion

Present Day…

The door to Perry’s office closed and Clark felt the tension from his overwhelming anger flood through him as he stood in front of his editor, willing the simmering rage inside him down. Across his desk, Perry had the clippings from the different tabloid publications with red markings where Perry had scribbled his notes across them.

“Clark, why don’t you take a seat, son,” Perry gestured to the chair in front of his desk.

“I’d rather stand,” Clark raked his hand through his hair. He gestured to the papers in front of Perry, “I’ve gotta hand it to them. They certainly work quick. Not even twenty-four hours after going public with this poor girl’s information and they’ve already …”

“I know, I know…” Perry nodded, holding the headline up with a grunt. “Classic distraction tactic. You don’t like the headline you attack the person writing them.” He hung his head, running a hand across his face.

“And apparently get help from this dirtbag,” Clark gestured to the headshot of Claude Moreau.

“Now, Clark, anyone worth their press pass knows this is just tabloid trash that isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on.” Perry tried to console him.

Clark glared sharply at Perry, “And what I’m just supposed to sit back and do nothing while they tear Lois’ credibility apart with this garbage because … well, everyone should just know better?”

“Clark, I know you’re angry. Hell, I am too. I’ve got the Senator storming in here threatening the paper about this story.” Perry grunted his discontent.

“They’ve been following us for months,” Clark muttered irritably. “I just can’t figure out how they knew we’d go to press about this when there was no story three months ago.”

“Say what?” Perry’s brow raised.

Clark shook his head, “Someone left a package threatening Jon and other girls that they had…”

“Jesus,” Perry let out a low whistle. “What in Sam Hill have we uncovered?”

“I don’t know,” Clark replied grimly, jabbing his finger at the headline in front of Perry, “But I’m going to get some answers and I’m going to start with Claude.”

“Now, Clark, don’t …”

Clark quickly cut him off, “That low-life is trying to use my wife as a stepping stone to get his five minutes of fame. I am not going to let him get away with it. I sure as hell am not going to let him tear down everything she’s worked for because he can’t handle being second best to her.”

“Just be careful,” Perry reminded him. “It, uh, wouldn’t be helping anyone to have to bail Superman out of jail.”

Clark let out a heavy sigh. “I can’t promise anything, Chief.”

The heavy weight of her eyes pressed against her as Esma tried to focus on the voices around her. The sounds of screams and shouts from the room at the end of the hallway rang through her ears. She felt a shiver run through her spine as she lifted her hand up to her face, shifting against the binds.

A blood curdling scream rang in her ears and she straightened up in her chair. Her eyes blinked against the cold air and she fidgeted in her chair. A loud slap echoed through the hallway followed by a muffled sob.

Another blood curdling scream rang from the distance and tears trickled down her cheeks. A heavy fog covered her as she struggled in her binds. Slowly but surely the heavy fatigue took over her and she drifted off.

The city of Nimes was full of activity as Clark flew overhead, searching for the small post office he had been able to track Claude Moreau to. He landed behind the run-down building, changing into his suit and tie from earlier as he exited the back entry and made his way into the run down office that connected to the postal office

Clark tapped his hand against his chin, summing up as much calm as he could before coming face to face with Claude Moreau. He entered the office, noting the rundown equipment and furniture. In the corner was an old lady, tapping at an old typewriter. Across from her was a slender man with dark brown hair that reached his shoulders and a cloud of white mist surrounding him from the cigarette he kept puffing at. Clark’s gaze narrowed as he centered on the figure of the slender man.

He stopped in front of the man’s desk, noting his presence was barely noticed as the man was too consumed with his phone call. The older woman seemed to take heed of Clark’s stern features and stance, quickly gathering her things and excusing herself out the door Clark had entered through.

“Oui, oui je l'ai vu..”

Clark reached over to press the switch hook on the phone to end the call Claude was on.

That got his attention.

Claude set the phone down and turned to Clark, an amused expression across his face as he turned toward Clark and responded in English. “Ah, I know who you are.”

Clark’s jaw clenched, giving Claude his best threatening glare as he stood in front of him, not daring to give Claude the satisfaction of breaking the tension that hung in the air. His right hand tightened into a fist as he stood there, biding his time and Claude grew increasingly nervous, looking away and then back again.

“I, uh, I’m busy….”

Clark raised his left brow, continuing to glare at Claude with his stern features, until finally Claude nervously stammered out.

“If this is about the interview….?”

Unable to listen to the smug French man another second Clark reached over and grabbed him by the collar, slamming his face against the now empty desk, holding him in place with barely any effort as he hissed out. “You’re sitting in a hole in the wall like this barely able to keep the lights on and you happened to get interviewed by the likes of Leo Nunk?” Clark growled in his ear, “Who hired you?”

“I don’t know what ….”

“I am barely touching you right now and you can’t even hold it together…” Clark pressed his hand against the back of his neck, pushing him further into the desk, “You’re a smart guy, right? I mean, you were smart enough to get out of town before the Kerth Committee put two and two together and realized you stole that story you got an award for.”

“I did …not.”

“Rule number one, don’t lie to the guy that could snap your neck in two. It wasn’t a question.” Clark growled out. “I want to know who hired you... I think that’s the least you owe Lois after what you did.”

“She…”

“Ah, ah, ah,” Clark warned, tightening his grip on his neck. “Choose your words very carefully.”

“I…didn’t…”

“Didn’t what?” Clark growled, leaning closer as he hissed in his ear. “Your picture is all over the place along with the sordid trash you call an interview. Please tell me how in the world you supposedly know all of these imaginary stories that took place in your interview when you were only working with Lois for six months and have had zero contact with anyone at the Planet in the last ten years.”

“She destroyed my….career and that little…”

“Ah, ah, ah,” Clark hissed in his ear. “I will not think twice about dropping you and leaving you to rot in your own filth like a mangling dog. That’s the mother of my children you’re talking about. Watch your mouth.”

“Proving my point.” He snapped back haughtily. “You’re just the idiot that married her.”

With a flick of the wrist Clark turned him over and hoisted him up against the wall, slamming Claude against it and holding him in place by his throat. “I didn’t quite catch that. You want to repeat that?”

“I…”

“Who hired you?” Clark hissed out slowly, feeling his anger bubble over. His gaze shifted to the front of the man’s pants where he had soiled himself. “Don’t make me ask again.”

“I…I don’t know.” Claude stammered out. “I never got a name.” He pointed toward his desk. “It was just an envelope with directions on what to say and who to call. The next day I had a quarter million deposited in my account.”

Clark released him, tossing him to the ground with a grunt. “I’m going to need that envelope.”

Two Years Ago…

A light mist covered the water in Hobb’s Bay. Through the mist a small ship inched its way through the mist, navigating its way through the darkness. A single beam of light shone from the distance and the dark shadow of a man could be seen on the port.

The captain bit down on his cigar, taking in a deep breath as he inched closer. A sonic boom came from above and he let out a muttered curse, reaching over to open the escape hatch. An opening in the floor board below him. He held his breath as a rush of air blew across him, helping to funnel him through the escape hatch. He let out a muffled shout as the cold water washed over him. His teeth chattered as he flopped through the water, trying to escape before….

“Going somewhere?”

A hard jerk from behind him startled him and he let out a strangled yelp, looking over his shoulder to the stern gaze from the caped superhero. “Uh, Su-superman, th-thanks.”

“Interesting way of departing your ship, Captain,” Superman remarked with raised eyebrows.

He was caught.

Panic filled his eyes as his hand closed over the small handheld remote, fumbling for the button to ignite the self-destruct function on the shipment. If the shipment got into the authorities hands the boss would have his head.

“Not so fast…”

A burning sensation covered his fingertips and he let out a yelp when he pulled his hand back, wincing when he saw the melted plastic against his fingertips. They landed on the dock, his feet dangled a few inches off the ground and he turned to look at a mildly amused Superman.

“What exactly are you trying to hide, Captain?”

Lois closed the door behind her, holding the towel that was still wrapped around her in place as she opened the closet door, searching for a dress for tonight’s dinner. Her gaze crossed over the array of silk and tulle trying to find something to change into. She had nearly forgotten about tonight’s dinner.

How had she forgotten?

Her hand finally landed on a long navy blue dress with a simple cut. Nothing too constricting. She blanched slightly, wondering if this was a good idea. There of course would be free flowing drinks and co-workers there and she could potentially end up in the bathroom most of the evening.

‘It’s fine,’ Lois told herself, not willing to give into the uneasiness churning in her abdomen. She reached her hand up and tugged the dress off the hanger and carried it with her into the bedroom to finish getting ready.

Intergang had finally been torn down and exposed in the headlines. Yesterday, Bill Church Jr. and his father, Bill Church Sr. had been convicted of their crimes and were awaiting their sentence. She and Clark had been working with many of the other Daily Planet staff to bring the infamous criminal organization down. Now she finally felt like she could breathe after nearly a year of taking on the father-son criminal masterminds.

Her hand drifted to her abdomen as she leaned back against the bed, letting out a long breath. Everything felt so different. Life had snuck up on her again. It seemed she would never be able to have that moment to savor the relief she felt. The world would continue to turn and change no matter what.

A low whistle came from the doorway and she turned her head, smiling in her husband’s direction who was already dressed in his tuxedo. “You look absolutely stunning…”

A slow smile spread across her face as he crossed the room, sinking on the bed next to her. “Patrol ran a little longer than normal,” Lois commented, rolling on her side to look at him.

“Superman found a ship full of illegal shipments in Hobb’s Bay.” He rolled his eyes. “All the questions that I have no answers to were asked.”

“Any idea what the illegal shipment was?” Lois asked, her interest piqued.

He shook his head, “I’m sure they’ll figure it out by tomorrow,” Clark brushed his lips against hers, reaching his hand over to cup her cheek. “You about ready?”

“Yeah,” she flashed him a weak smile. “How long is this thing supposed to last?”

“Coates Orphanage Annual Charity Ball,” Clark shrugged. “We don’t have to stay long if you don’t want to.” He leaned in to brush his lips against hers again.

“Well, with Jon staying with his grandparents for the night it might be nice to not spend the whole evening listening to stuffed shirts and eating greasy appetizers.” Lois murmured against his lips.

Clark chuckled, fingering her silky hair strands. “They really should get a better chef.” He brushed his lips against her jaw, “So, we’ll make an appearance and then come back home? No chasing down information from the governor on the prison reform story or cornering the mayor on her tax hikes?”

“It’s the weekend,” Lois purred, fingering his bowtie. “I’m sure they’ll be unavailable for comment anyway.”

Tobias cracked his knuckles as he paced in front of his new desk. The expansion of his empire had increased profits ten-fold. With the competition being taken out of the picture he had been able to swoop in and redistribute the resources the Churches had so graciously relinquished after their legal troubles. The best part yet was despite working in plain sight the city’s neighborhood superhero still had no idea they were in operation.

Knowing he remained below Superman’s radar amid the recent crackdown on corruption within the city thrilled him. With the takedown of Intergang all the politicians had to talk the talk of city clean up and crime still unaware of his presence and the thriving drug and prostitution ring that operated unscathed under their noses.

He reached behind him, picking up the small glass from his desk. He let the warm liquid swirl around in the glass before bringing it to his lips and taking a sip of the cool liquor. He turned to the man in front of him smiling as he finally spoke.

“I consider myself a patient man…”

“Yes, of course, Tobias,” the man replied, looking around him self-consciously.

“Do you know how long it took me to build up this operation? When I first started I was nothing but a lowly second tier in Lex Luthor’s criminal underworld. Far enough down on the totem pole to be dismissed and yet high enough to learn what not to do. After his takedown someone had to pick up the pieces. Someone that wouldn’t let the power go to their head. That person was me. I didn’t get where I am by allowing incompetence and recklessness to destroy everything I had built.”

He reached over, grabbing the man by the throat as he hissed out, “What were your men thinking bringing the shipment in a day early? We have a schedule for a reason!”

“I..I’m sorry. Th-they acted on their own.”

“I want them taken care of. There better not be a speck of evidence linking back to me.”

“But the betäubenal…”

“Will be destroyed and another shipment made.” Tobias growled out, tossing the man to the ground. “Screw up again and it’s your head.”

Lois looked across the array of familiar faces, nursing a ginger-ale in her flute as she and Clark worked through the crowd. Perry had insisted on introducing them to just about every newscaster or copy editor on staff with Alice over at Stern Media. Many of the faces were new and others were seasoned journalists she’d come across before. Her feet were growing tired and the food was not appetizing but the annual speech and concert the Coates Orphanage put on was still at least a few more minutes to go.

Clark leaned in to whisper in her ear, “You sure you’re okay?”

“Just tired,” she managed to smile weakly. Now was not the time to tell him. They had too much going on and she still wasn’t even sure entirely. It was a feeling. A feeling that had been nagging the back of her mind for at least a week now.

“Champagne?” one of the waiters stopped in front of them with a tray of champagne flutes.

“No thank you,” Lois shook her head and he moved off.

She saw Clark’s questioning gaze and shrugged, “I get a headache when I drink champagne this late.”

He gave her a perplexed look but didn’t say anything. She pointed to the stage where the children dressed in red and white were stepping onto the stage. A man in a grey suit stood at the front of the stage, helping guide the children into place.

“Looks like they’re getting ready.”

Rufus “Bad Brain” Johnson tightened his grip on the metal dial, amping the electrical bolt through the cell bars with a muffled cackle. He heard the rhythmic tapping from down the hall, waiting the guard out.

“Johnson, what are you doing out of your cell!?” the guard fumed as he moved toward him.

Bad Brain chuckled as he saw the guard finally touch the cell bars that were rigged to light up like Christmas morning. A maniacal snicker escaped Bad Brain’s throat as he dialed the electricity up and watched the entire cell door leading to his freedom. The guards flooded in one after another and each one of them flew up to the ceiling as the electrical bolts ran through them. Bad Brain hooked the strap to the large silver cylinder of his electro-shocker, tightening his hand on the trigger.

“I hate to cut and run boys, but I think I’ve worn out my welcome…”

Bad Brain let out a whistle as he walked unprotested through the hallway leading him to the exit.

Freedom.

Clark’s hand wandered up and down Lois’ bare back, enjoying the unobstructed access he had in the seemingly rare quiet moment he had like this with Lois. Her hair spread across his chest haphazardly as her hand wandered up and down the front of his chest. He leaned his head back, craning his neck to look out at the moonlit sky.

Whatever fatigue had taken over Lois during the Charity Ball tonight seemed to have subsided and given her the burst of energy she needed after the Coates Orphanage concert. One minute Lois had been ready to crawl into bed and call it a night and the next she had been reenergized. Near the end of the night Lois took to focusing her newfound energy in convincing him it was time to call it a night. A slow smile spread across his face as he recalled the torture she’d put him through earlier in the evening. Looking across the bed, noting the disarray from earlier discarded clothing he let out a content sigh, pulling her to him, enjoying the feel of her soft skin against him.

The last few months had been insanely busy. Intergang had finally been unceremoniously brought down to its knees and he and Lois were coming to terms with the fact that not only did Perry know about his alter-ego and himself being one and the same but reconciling the fact that he had known since the beginning. How often had he breathed a sigh of relief thinking Perry had just dismissed his lame excuses? Now, he looked back on it wondering if Perry had just been humoring him.

It was a lot to absorb.

Perry had taken the opportunity to toast the downfall of Intergang. A once provoking subject due to the involvement of the Churches was now all anyone could talk about – even Perry. The challenges over the last few months with balancing between father, husband, journalist and superhero coupled with Jon’s one-way trip to the terrible twos had left him scrambling for some semblance of normalcy. Whatever was normal for them anyway.

Jon’s discovery of walking and running had been one of the bigger milestones he’d recently reached and with it came new challenges. Jon had taken to each of his milestones like a champ and with each one he felt the bittersweet reality that his little baby wasn’t much of a baby anymore. The impulse to wrap him up in bubble wrap while at the same time celebrating each milestone was torturous. So far Jon was just like any other little boy his age. Finding ways to get into everything and tugging at his and Lois’ heartstrings with that infectious laugh that made you melt all over.

The world finally felt safe again. Anything was possible and with the recent discovery of red kryptonite he had given Dr. Klein the go-ahead to begin analyzing the poisonous rock to find a way to stop its poisonous radiation so he and Jon and any other potential children he and Lois might have weren’t at risk. He would do everything he could to ensure his children’s safety.

A long sigh escaped Lois’ lips as she lifted her head up and looked up at him, “You know, I was thinking…”

“I’ll alert the National Guard…” he teased her with a haphazard grin.

“Not funny,” she smacked him across the chest.

He leaned in to kiss her, “You were saying?”

“The next milestone Jon has is learning his ABCs and numbers and starting kindergarten.” She stopped mid-sentence, letting out a heavy sigh. “He’s not a baby anymore. How did that happen?”

“He’ll always be our baby,” he reassured her, pressing his lips against hers. “and he’ll always need his mom.”

“He’s getting so big,” Lois gave him a pained smile.

“We could always try for another one,” he ran a hand down the curve of her hip. “If you’re that torn up about it.”

A perplex expression crossed her face as she mulled over the thought for a brief moment before responding, “How exactly is having another baby supposed to help?”

“Well, it won’t stop Jon from growing up, but it might be fun to practice,” he wiggled his eyebrows at her.

She let out a soft giggle, leaning in to kiss him. “How about we just focus on enjoying him while we can still call him our baby and get away with it.”

“Deal,” he grinned back at her.

TBC....

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube