Injustice
Folc4evernaday
Chapter 6: Like Thunder Gonna Shake the Ground

Present Day…

The streets were empty and the pier where Jack used to fish with his brother Denny had been replaced and rebuilt to be at least another foot out into the bay. Jack swiped a hand through his dark locks, stealing a glance over at Clark who followed behind him a few paces. The sun shone across his face, sprinkling warm rays on them as they approached what looked to be a neighborhood.

Jack struggled to recognize the street they were on, recalling the alleyway where he and Clark had first met. He stopped just outside of the run down pool hall with the name “Louie’s” freshly painted on the side and pointed at the green trimmed building, “This place has certainly changed.”

“Well, not nearly as run down since they remodeled last year,” Clark responded, pointing to the brick building on the corner. “They built up a few offices and cleaned out the shipyard too.”

“I can’t even recognize this place.” Jack commented as he hung his head.

“Here we are,” Clark pointed to the sign that read “Fifth Street” and gestured to the large red brick building surrounded by a small well manicured collection of bushes and trees.

“You sure this is a good idea?” Jack asked, looking around the perfectly kept sidewalk. “Boy, this place is so surreal.”

“The mission is kept up by the sisters of Mary Catherine’s on Eighth,” Clark said following him up the hill. “They work closely with the police department and the Superman foundation taking in runaways and victims of child or domestic abuse and even homeless residents that used to litter the streets.”

“Seems like you’re pretty invested in this place,” Jack said with a smirk.

“Seeing the difference this place has made is something I can get invested in,” Clark answered, combing his hand through his hair.

“I can understand that,” Jack looked over his shoulder as he reached the top of the hill looking around the red brick building uncertainly. “Are you sure this is where Superman brought this girl?”

“One hundred percent,” Clark said leaning against the doorframe and knocking lightly on the door.

Perry looked around the boardroom, unsure what to make of the somber tone as he looked across the executive suits that all carried stock in the Daily Planet along with himself at a whopping thirty percent. It had been a parting gift from Franklin Stern when he had stepped down as owner of the Daily Planet last year.

“Everything okay?” he finally asked, looking around the room.

“Sit down, Perry,” Marcus pointed to the seat next to him.

“Why do I get the feeling I’d rather stand?” Perry asked, stopping in front of his friend. Though the previous board had been dismantled after Luthor’s takeover when Franklin Stern had stepped down many of the original board members that hadn’t had their votes bought by Luthor had returned.

Marcus ran a hand through his goatee, leaning back in his chair as he listed off the advertisers that paid for real estate at the Daily Planet. “WadeCorp, Metro Burger, Happy Tales, and even Metro Play…They all seem to have taken quite an interest in a story being investigated by one of your reporters.”

“Well, nice to hear they’re taking some interest in the newspaper business,” Perry joked, taking the seat next to Marcus. “But judging by your face I’d say that’s not the reason they’re calling.”

“No, Perry,” Davis cleared his throat pulling out several memos and placing them on the center of the table in front of him. Each one had the colorful logos printed on the formal linen paper. “Some of our top investors are threatening to pull out of their contracts with the Daily Planet if we can’t guarantee the story on this missing girl doesn’t get front page attention.”

“I beg your pardon?” Perry’s brow furrowed as he tried to process what was begin said. “They want us to bury a story about a missing girl?”

“Apparently it’s a relative of a top official who has already hired a private investigator to look into the matter,” Marcus explained with dismay.

“What’s the girl’s name?” Perry asked, tightening his grip on the side of the table.

“They didn’t say,” Davis responded solemnly.

“Oh, so now I have to guess which story I should be burying?” Perry spewed out in defiance.

“Perry, listen…” Davis tried to reason with him.

“No, you listen…” Perry argued, wagging his finger in Davis’ face. “You want me to come down on stories and make sure we’re covered so we don’t get sued, fine. You want me to properly allocate stories in their proper place on the paper, fine. But I will not be pushing newsworthy items into the back of the paper or be told how to be Editor in Chief of this paper. We print the news as we see it and we don’t let anyone …no matter how big the purse strings call the shots on how that is done.” Perry stood up from his seat and brushed the lint off his jacket. “I saw someone try to control the news once before. I won’t live through it again. If there is a story about a child missing it will be on the front page for as long as it is the leading story. That will never change.”

“You’re putting this paper in an awkward position, Perry,” Marcus warned.

“Well, lucky for me I have a vote on this board,” Perry sniffed back. “Along with a few members that aren’t here.”

“Giving votes to reporters is like handing a child candy before bedtime.” Davis snorted. “It’s going to ruin us.”

“It keeps us honest,” Perry reminded him. “Now if you don’t mind, I’ll be getting back to my job of making sure we have a paper to print.”

Clark let out a shallow breath, looking around the semi-crowded coffee shop as he continued to reel from the news that the young girl he had thought had been given a fresh start two months ago was out there somewhere possibly in danger. He knew it to be a slight overreaction but given the state he’d found her in he knew it could very well be the reality for her.

Missing.

Maimed.

Murdered.

‘Or worse,’ his mind called out to him. He shouldn’t blame himself. But he couldn’t shake the sense of responsibility he felt over the safety of the young girl he’d rescued two months ago.

Ingrid. That was all he had to go on to help find her.

“Hey,” Jack reached his hand over to cover Clark’s. “I’m sure we’ll track her down. It’s not surprising she would have moved on by now.”

“Moved on, yes, I’d expect that,” Clark answered, taking a sip from his coffee. “I guess I was surprised to discover she went missing the same night she had been brought to the mission.”

“Maybe something spooked her?” Jack suggested. “I know when I had been brought to some of those halfway houses by the social workers and police. They put on a good show for the outside, but Clark it’s brutal in there. The slightest thing can set someone off.”

“I just wish I could do something,” Clark confessed, leaning his head back.

“You are doing something,” Jack smiled at him, taking a sip from his own coffee mug. “You’re helping get the right people looking at this.” A smirk crossed his face, “Besides, there’s only so much the Daily Planet or even you and Lois can do in situations like this.”

Something flashed in Jack’s eyes that sent Clark reeling back to that night in front of the Planet just after the almost-bombing from Fuentes and his gang. He had wondered for a long time if Jack knew or suspected anything after his slip in the stairwell so many years ago. Judging from the humorous expression on Jack’s face he had to speculate there was at least a suspicion simmering within his friend.

“It’s one of the more frustrating parts of being a journalist,” Clark admitted with a half-smile.

“You could always take a trip with me out East and try your hand at building schools and fighting off insurgents,” Jack grinned, patting his knee. “Though I’m not sure you’d appreciate the bloodshed you might see.”

“No, I don’t guess so,” Clark grinned back. “I’d miss everything too much. The city, the Planet, Lois and Jon…” He grew contemplative. “Do you ever regret it, Jack? Dropping everything and traveling the world like this. It’s noble and incredibly selfless, but do you ever wish for more for yourself?”

“Sometimes,” Jack shrugged his shoulders. “I mean, right, after Denny got adopted I was left in this weird hyperbole trying to figure out my next step. Luthor was brought down and you and Lois were safe. It’s not like I had a job to keep me around.”

“I’m sure Perry would have taken you on with the rebuild,” Clark smiled at his friend.

“He would have,” Jack nodded in agreement. “But being at the Planet and pushing paper and delivering mail wasn’t what I wanted. I mean, don’t get me wrong. It was a job and it paid the bills but it wasn’t what I’d describe as a career or anything.”

“I get that,” Clark nodded, reaching over for his mug of coffee. “I guess, I just wonder if the danger you put yourself in is worth it.”

“I’m making a difference. You of all people should understand that,” Jack smiled across the rim of his coffee mug. “Do I miss out on the regular everyday life? Yeah, sometimes, but I know I’m doing my part to help society and fight for the people that can’t fight for themselves.” Jack grew quiet as he contemplated his next words, “You know you read about it in history books and think how in the world could people have been treated like that? Children sold into slavery. Families torn apart for profit. Gangs of militia overthrowing a government. But then you go to some of these places and realize…it’s not just in history books. Slavery still happens. Human trafficking is a real market in these third world countries. Even in the states kids are at risk.”

“I know,” Clark grew contemplative, feeling the hard pain deep inside him as Jack’s words hit home for him. He knew all too well how dark the world was in the third world countries Jack spoke of. In his travels and even in the rescues he’d been pulled into in recent years he found himself faced with the horrendous tragedies of the world. Though he had done what he could to help in what ways he could he knew he was merely one man. Even he had limits on what he could do.

Clark stared into his empty mug, pondering his next move. “You know, there have been quite a few kidnappings here in Metropolis this year. More so than the past few years.”

“You think there’s something more to it than runaways and drugs?” Jack asked.

“A girl reached out to Lois a few months back about her sister, Esma.” Clark recalled aloud. “Any chance you could look into it and see if anyone in the HRO has heard of her.”

“A first name is all I have to go on,” Clark shrugged his shoulders.

“If you can get me more on how she went missing I can probably track it down if the kidnapping is connected to any of the trafficking organizations we’re working on tracking down.” Jack tapped his mug down on the table.

“I’d really appreciate any help you all can provide.”

“Hey, we’re both fighting the same fight. Just holding different weapons, right?”

“Right.”

Three Years Ago…

Snell Indicted on RICO Charges!
By Lois Lane and Clark Kent

Murder of Martin Snell Goes Unsolved!

Police Corruption Exposed!

Urban Revitalization Begins!
By Clark Kent

Presidential Kidnapping Attempt! Prankster in Jail!
By Lois Lane

Valhalla Project Brings Terrorism to Its Knees!

Bill Church Jr. took a puff from his cigar as he leaned back into the leather chair, folding his hands in front of him as he read over the scientific reports he had been provided with. His gaze shifted up to the man standing in front of him with nervous sweat beads precipitating on his forehead. He felt a rush of adrenaline run through him as he saw the fear and uncertainty cross his guest’s face. He loved watching others squirm in his presence. The battle of wits was one of the many benefits he found with the new position he’d taken on since his father had taken leave from the business. With the close call they had with Superman last month it was decided that a change in leadership was necessary in order to ensure Intergang’s survival.

He stretched his arms back, resting his head against his folded hands, staring back at the balding man in front of him who continued to fidget nervously before him. “So, another project down the toilet thanks to Superman, eh? Between Superman and this Elias character we’re getting pressure on all fronts.” He gestured to the front page of the newspaper. “Wasn’t Valhalla your idea, Knox?”

Charles Knox tugged at his collar and let out an uncertain shrug, “Valhalla was out of our control.” He reached up to swipe his brow. “The Wilders had their own intentions and were unable to see when it was time to get out.”

“Excuses. Excuses. That’s what they all say,” Bill Church muttered.

“Valhalla was fool-proof and it would have worked if Superman hadn’t,” Mr. Knox apologized.

“Yes, of course...if Superman hadn’t shown up. If Superman hadn’t found out. I’d have gotten away with it if it weren’t for those meddling kids and that dog...” Church shook his head. “Please, Knox you sound like a broken record set on a Saturday morning cartoon special.”

“This is different, Mr. Church!” Knox argued, straightening up. “This project will cripple Superman and bring him to his knees. We just need the cash to make it happen.”

“Teams have scoured LexCorp and all of Luthor’s properties trying to scrounge up this mystical Kryptonite. No one has seen this mystical stone that can kill Superman. No one is even sure it exists anywhere other than Lex Luthor’s head!” Church pounded his fist on the desk and raised an eyebrow at him. “What makes you think you’ll do any better?”

Knox pulled out a small notebook from his inner jacket pocket. “According to this, Bureau 39 were the first ones to discover Kryptonite. I’m sending a team to survey the location they found it at and dig up the priceless commodity for us.”

“One month,” Church warned, holding his hand up in the air. “I’m giving you one month to produce results otherwise I’m pulling the plug and holding you personally responsible. Am I clear, Knox?”

“Perfectly,” Knox nodded.

A flashlight flickered in the dark behind the shield of overgrown trees and bushes. A man held up a shovel, motioning to the two men on his left and moved through the cloak of darkness until he reached the location he had been searching for. He wagged his index finger to one of the men and pointed to the ground covered in loose gravel - as if someone had been trying to hide whatever had been buried there. He smiled, taking a few steps to the right and wedged the shovel into the tight mixture of soil, grass and dirt. He twisted the shovel side by side until he felt the ground give away to him.

“Hey, I think I found something,” one of the men to his left called out.

He felt his own shovel his something hard and looked down, spying a reddish glow beneath the thin layer of soil that covered it. He crouched down, looking to the man next to him, holding up a red glowing rock

“Well, boys, I think we’ve struck gold…or rather...Kryptonite.”

Present Day…

Lois reached below the sink with a wrench, trying to loosen the garbage disposal that had swallowed one of Jon’s plastic figurines. Of course, had he not thrown his army men into the sink it never would have swallowed the plastic toys. That reasoning was lost on her four-year-old. Between the very crabby tantrums Jon had been throwing and his upset tummy this afternoon she was at her wit’s end. She hoped it was just a fluke but given the way stomach bugs flew around the daycare she suspected she wouldn’t be that lucky.

It seemed everything today was a disaster. Jon had gone to bed mad at her. Lilith had left her feeling as if she had been punched in the gut. She knew Lilith’s worry for her sister well. She herself had felt that way about Lucy for years. She still did. But having no news or progress for Lilith each time she reached out to see if there had been any news was heart wrenching. Her investigation into the young girl’s disappearance was met with resistance everywhere. No one wanted to talk about it. The more they closed up the more her suspicions grew, but she still couldn’t do anything. She barely had anything to print.

For now, she just focused on what she could do. She could try to save her son’s beloved army men. So that was where she would focus her attention. She continued loosening the bolt and felt a spray of water hit her in the face, “What the hell?”

“Lois?” she heard Clark call out from the other room.

“Clark?” she held her arm up, trying to block the water as she held up the wrench, attempting to tighten the bolt back up as she pulled herself out from under the sink, shaking her hands as she looked around the kitchen in dismay, noting the small pool of water from under the sink. “Great.”

“What happened?” Clark asked, looking around the kitchen in shock.

She reached up to wring her t-shirt out from where it had been soaked. “Jon lost a few army men when they landed in the tunnel. Also known as our garbage disposal.” Clark held his hand up to cover his face as he let out a chuckle and she gestured to the pool under the sink. “Water is everywhere and I can’t get the garbage disposal out and if you keep laughing I’m going to make you go shopping all day with Jon tomorrow to pick out new army men and fight off the distinct squeals of why he can’t have every toy in the store.”

“Okay, okay, I surrender.” Clark held his hands up in defeat. “Did you turn the water off?” he asked, pulling a few hand towels out from the cabinet where towels, dish rags and oven mitts were neatly stored.”

“Of course I turned the water off,” Lois fumed standing up and walking over to where the pipe was that controlled the water to the sink behind a sliding door. “What kind of idiot do you think I would be if I forgot to…” She stopped, mid-sentence when she saw the nozzle was still positioned to the on position. She let out a frustrated growl and turned to twist the knob to the closed position then turned to see Clark stifling his laughter. She held up her index finger and warned him, “Don’t even think about it.”

“I didn’t say anything,” Clark chuckled, reaching over to help dry the side of her arm off.

“You were thinking it,” she smirked at him, reaching her arms up to stretch them over her head. “It’s been a long day.”

“I see,” Clark commented, giving her a leering gaze for a moment before turning his attention to the kitchen. “So, army men in the garbage disposal. That’s a new one.”

“Apparently they were rescuing a baby.” Lois let out a muffled laugh.

“Of course they were,” Clark sighed, moving at super-speed to dry up the water from under the sink and then unfastening the bolts to remove the garbage disposal. Lois smiled as he pulled out the metal appliance, rolling his sleeve up to fish out the eight army men and a small plastic Lego character, setting each of them on the counter.

“Well, three are salvageable,” Lois said, craning her neck to look at the disfigured toys.

“I think we’re going shopping,” Clark said with a heavy sigh. “After we have a talk with someone about their landing locations for these guys.”

“I actually would have preferred the bathtub. Less messy,” Lois sighed, reaching up to pat herself dry with the hand towel. She felt her husband’s eyes linger on her as she smoothed the terry cloth material across the soaked cotton of her t-shirt. She caught his gaze feeling her voice catch in her throat when she caught the heated gaze he was giving her. She tore her eyes away, noting the worry lines written across his face. She found her voice and asked, “How did everything go with Jack?”

“Apparently Ingrid went missing the same night she was taken to the Fifth Street Mission,” Clark said, reaching over to loop his arms around her waist, allowing his hands to smooth their way over her hipbone as he nestled his chin into the crook of her neck.

“I’m sorry, Clark,” she turned her head, leaning in to give him a peck on the cheek.

Clark shrugged his shoulders, reaching over to brush a loose strand of hair out of her face. “Nothing anyone can really do until she shows up again.” He brushed his lips against her forehead. “Jack did say he is going to look into that girl you were looking for and see if he can find anything.”

“I was just theorizing about the two being connected,” Lois said, shaking her head. “There’s nothing to suggest Esma was kidnapped other than her sister’s pleas. Perry isn’t even letting me print anything right now.”

“Still, with Jack’s contacts it wouldn’t hurt to at least look,” Clark reasoned, brushing his palm against her cheek, outlining her jaw with his thumb.

“I suppose not,” Lois rested her hand against his chest. “Who knows, maybe it’ll give us what we need to get this girl’s picture on the front page.” She let out a heavy sigh. “Her sister keeps calling like clockwork trying to see if we’ve found anything. I don’t know what to tell her. Henderson is stuck. I’m stuck. Bobby’s too spooked to help. I just want to help bring her home but it’s one dead end after another.” She reached up to stroke his cheek, noting the tortured expression, “You really think the two are connected, don’t you?”

“Yeah, I do,” Clark reached down, running his palm against the small of her back.

Clark frowned shaking his head. “Jack said there had been a plea put out on the underground network. Asking for help the day before Ingrid jumped in front of that train. I just can’t help but wonder if something similar might have been put out there when Esma was taken.” He let out a heavy sigh, tightening his grasp on her waist as he leaned into her. “I just can’t shake this feeling that they’re connected somehow.”

“Well, for Esma’s sake I hope you’re wrong, but it’s a start I suppose.” Lois leaned up, resting her head against his shoulder. She reached up to rest her hand on his now damp shirt and giggled, “Sorry. I should get cleaned up.”

He smiled reaching out to take her hand in his, “Come here.”

“I am soaked with dirty sink water.” Lois gestured to her soaked front with a smirk.

“So, we can get cleaned up together,” his eyes danced as he pulled her to him, thumbing her waistband.

“Hmm, somehow I don’t think you’re too interested in helping me getting cleaned up,” she smirked, raising an eyebrow at him as his hands slipped up the back of her soaking wet t-shirt.

“I like watching you get cleaned up,” his eyes twinkled with amusement, fighting back a smile as he ran his hands up her back.

“Is that so? How exactly is that supposed to help?” She reached up to playfully thwack his chest. He wiggled his eyebrows at her, leaning in to kiss her just before he scooped her up into his arms and carried her into the bedroom at super-speed. She let out a stifled giggle and whispered, “Jon hasn’t even been asleep for an hour yet. You’re going to wake him up.”

“So, you’ll have to be quiet,” he whispered, running his hands up the back of her shirt,

“Oh, I’m the one that has to be quiet now?” she murmured mischievously, toying with the hem of his t-shirt as he helped walk them back toward the master bathroom to where the double shower stall was waiting.

“That showerhead can only muffle so much,” he murmured, tugging the t-shirt over his head and tossing it to the side. Her eyes darted across his smooth chiseled torso, thanking her lucky stars for the incredibly good judgement she’d had in taking this man as her husband, savoring one of the many benefits being his wife came with as his mouth crashed into hers.

“That shower is beginning to lose its intrigue,” she murmured, feeling the heat from his breath tickle her ear. His hands roamed up and down the back, pushing the cotton fabric up over her head and tossing it over his shoulder. Almost immediately she felt his arms wrap around her, sending a shiver down her spine as he reached out to caress the long white scar from where she had the markings Lex had left her with removed shortly after Jon’s birth. A necessary step in healing she had taken into her own hands post-partum.

A tingle ran down her spine as she felt his thumb brush across her side, tracing the smooth curve of the scar that was left, meeting her gaze as he leaned in, brushing his lips against hers. She tilted her head back, reaching up to trace her hands across his chest. His hands buried themselves in her hair, feeling their way through the damp strands. “Where’s all the bravado about what was it…?” he teased, brushing his lips against her cheek. “Being covered in dirty sink water.”

“Hmm, yes, you do make a good point,” she reasoned letting out a heavy sigh as his hands moved across her body, feeling their way into the crevices that were hidden beneath the last remaining clothes she had on.

“And of course to conserve water we could take one together,” Clark murmured, nibbling at the voice box of her throat, dragging the tip of his tongue against the sensitive flesh as she let out a labored breath. Was it hot in here? It felt excruciatingly hot all of a sudden.

“Hmm, well, I guess we do need to do our part,” she giggled running her hands through his hair as he dipped his head lower.

Kathy ran her hand through her short blonde hair, flashing a bright smile in the direction of the young Senator Harris, hoping he would follow through on his promise to give her the inside scoop on the latest bill to get stonewalled by Congress. “Now, Michael, you and I know there’s more going on here than just a little party rivalry.” Her eyebrows rose a half inch as she tilted her head, tapping her hand across the wooden table in front of them.

“There have been at least eight bills this quarter that have been killed by the Senate and another six by the House.” She clucked her tongue against her check, “Now, don’t make me resort to desperate measures.”

Michael Harris let out a heavy sigh, waving her off, “Kathy there’s nothing to tell. The party lines are pretty clear on where we stand when it comes to certain policies and each side is trying to push their own agenda.”

“Normally, I’d agree with you Michael,” Kathy crooned, pursing her lips as she looked back at him with a shake of her head. “However, one thing did stand out his past week.” She pulled out an envelope and pushed it to him. “Why in the world would either party be killing a bill that is supposed to go tough on crime?”

“Second Amendment,” Harris breathed with an annoyed tone. “Now listen, I don’t know how you got your hands on this, Kathy but you better watch your back. Washington is a cutthroat town and you might end up burned.”

“I need something to print,” Kathy narrowed her eyes at him.

“I need some guarantees,” he pushed a white envelope across the table to her. She smiled, taking the envelope and flipping through the cold hard cash in front of her. He cleared his throat, “I have it on good authority that despite pressure from heavy weight investors Perry White is still running with a story that could be detrimental for business.”

“I don’t tell Perry what to do,” Kathy sniffed, leaning back in her chair. “No one does.”

“I see,” Harris said, reaching across the table to take the money in cash back. “Well, then I suppose our business is done.”

“Now, let’s not by hasty!” Kathy began to back pedal. “I’m sure I can try to persuade Perry to see to reason.”

A smile crossed Harris’ face. “See, now you’re talking the language I can understand, Kathy.” He placed a single photo on the table of a young girl. “You see this picture?”

“Yeah,” Kathy frowned, gazing at the photograph of a young girl exiting a public transit. She glanced up at Harris, not following what he was getting at.

“Young. Pretty girl up and disappears never to be heard from again.” He let out a deep sigh. “Tragic.”

“Of course,” Kathy agreed.

“But really, is it news, Kathy?”

“The Daily Planet reports runaways and missing persons all the time, Michael, what are you getting at?”

“Of course, and the Daily Planet should continue to do so, but not at the expense of our city.” Harris advised, leaning back in his seat. “There have been whispers that this Lois Lane has been seen talking to snitches and former employees of Intergang.” Harris’ gaze darkened. “Intergang is gone.”

“Is it?” Kathy arched her eyebrow at him.

“It is if we say it is,” Harris growled. “Certain agreements have been made to keep them out of this city. To keep them out of this state. I’m not going to put everything at risk because a nosy reporter can’t stay out of my business.”

“What do you want me to do?” Kathy asked, eying the cold hard cash on the table.

“We have just as many resources as the Daily Planet does, Kathy. Make a bigger splash on the front page. Bury the story. Burn the place down. I don’t care what you do, but whatever you do you do it fast. Because if I see even an inkling about organized crime showing up on the front page of the Daily Planet it won’t be just me having to explain things.” He pushed her a letter sized envelope and she looked down at the print, ‘Multiworld Communications.’

“What is this?” Kathy asked, reaching for the envelope.

“Enough insurance to make sure everyone at the Planet takes the threat seriously.” Harris smirked back at her. “I’m not sure those Kerths will glisten quite as bright when everyone hears how you put yourself through journalism school.”

Kathy eyed the envelope then looked back to Harris. “Nice doing business with you.”

Lois looked up across the table to where Alice White and Perry White were seated, tapping her pen across her notepad as she toyed with how to voice her thoughts. She glanced over to the end of the table where Clark had laid out the screen stills she had been able to get her hands on from the local authorities. Still, it wasn’t much to go on.

“I’ve talked with everyone, Perry. No one knows anything or at least not that they want to admit.” Lois let out a deep sigh, reaching up to rub her temples. “It’s like everyone is spooked about finding this girl for some reason.”

“Kidnappings have been on the rise,” Perry commented, shaking his head in dismay. “And now we have investors threatening us if we print anything about this girl’s kidnapping.”

“Print what?” Lois asked, pointing to the information in front of her. “I have nothing. I have a missing kid and police that don’t want to do anything about it.”

“Well, then maybe that’s the angle,” Clark interrupted, looking up from his end of the table where he had his chin resting against his folded hands.

“Come again?” Alice asked, drumming her fingertips against the table.

“Say you don’t print the story about this girl’s disappearance but rather focus on the police and district attorney and other public offices that are refusing to investigate.” He looked to Perry, “Technically the headline isn’t about the missing girl but rather the refusal to do the job these officials were hired to do.”

“We just happen to mention this girl’s name and last location in the article to get the public riled up about it.” Lois nodded, following where this was going.

“I think that’s all you can do for now. Until Jack is able to find more out from the guys he’s working with I don’t see any other options.” Clark said, shaking his head. “It eats me up that we can’t plaster this girl’s story across the news and get some traction that way, but given no one wants her story told I’d say that’s probably the story they don’t want told.”

“And that’s the one we want to print,” Perry agreed, jabbing his index finger to the picture in the center of the table. He looked to Lois, “I want you to keep on this. We’ll print the angle on the corruption and keep turning over stones until we find who’s behind this.”

Lois nodded, glancing in Perry’s direction with hesitancy, “Are you sure we don’t already know who’s behind this?”

“What do you mean?” Alice asked.

“I mean, there’s corruption and manipulation of the news. Stories being buried and crimes not being pursued. Sound familiar?”

“Bill Church is behind bars,” Perry reminded her.

“Lex Luthor was ordering hits on people from the interrogation room in the middle of a precinct full of officers.” Lois pointed out. “What’s your point?”

“This isn’t Luthor,” Perry advised her with a heavy sigh.

“No, it’s Intergang.” Lois said, rising to her feet. “And I’m going to prove it.”

Congressman Donald Schumer reached up to tug on his collar as he looked over the headline of the Daily Planet. He slammed his fist on the smooth wooden surface of his desk. Despite the warnings he had given his partners there it was. The headline he had been warned about.

Kidnapping in Metropolis: Police Coverup!

He reached for his phone, dialing the number he knew by heart and preparing for the scathing threats that would come his way. After a few rings there was a click on the other line and heavy breathing. “Donald, I thought we discussed this blatant publication before. I am a very private man. I don’t like my business being aired in the papers.”

“I know, Tobias,” Donald replied nervously. “I..I’m going to take care of it. Unfortunately, getting the story retracted won’t do much good, though.”

“I believe you’re missing the point, Donald,” Tobias breathed heavily into the receiver. “My good name has been tainted. Now, so will these reporters.”

“I…These are well respected reporters,” Donald Schumer argued, not following. “They’ve helped bring down some of the biggest criminal minds and have covered everything from Superman’s arrival to the takedown of LexCorp. It’s not someone you can really smear in the public eye easily.”

“We’ll just see about that, now won’t we?” the line went silent and a click could be heard.

Donald stared at the handset, unsure what to make of Tobias’ threat.

Kidnapping in Metropolis: Police Coverup!

Ingrid set the paper down, tucking her newly darkened hair strands behind her ear, staring at the image on the front page. The young girl was the right age. The right look. She fit perfectly in the type of girl that the underworld of sex trafficking aimed for. Easy target.

Anguish filled her mind as her time within Tobias’ dark world came flooding back. The torture had been ongoing for weeks. Her mind and body had been pushed to the brink as she was conditioned to do whatever was asked of her without protest. Her voice had been snuffed out to mere whisper, left to scream into the void with no one to hear her pleas for help. She tapped her index finger over the girl’s picture. Then looked to the end of the article where the number to dial in anonymous tips was located. Did she dare point them in the right direction? She wasn’t even sure it was Tobias that had her. There had to be a thousand thugs just like Tobias scattered across the world. There was no telling who had their claws in her. Still, if he was involved…

‘No, it’s too dangerous,’ she quickly shut the thought down before it could come to fruition.

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube