Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
For anyone who is unfamiliar with Rod Stewart's song "Maggie May," you may listen to it here.

Different, yes? So far, at least?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
I think I'm getting senile.

I posted the feedback folder for the prologue, then the first chapter, then the feedback folder for the first chapter, then the prologue. Hope you're not hopelessly befuddled.

I plead confusing work conditions. We're in the middle of an outside audit.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Terry,

I hope I got it straight in the TOC.

You might want to check it out to be sure here: TOC

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
I did check, Mike, and you did better than I did. The links all go to the correct posts and they're all in the right order. I'm glad I didn't confuse everyone.

Features Writer
Features Writer
This is an intriguing start that has me hooked. You've created quite an interesting back story, although I suspect there's more to come in future chapters. I'm definitely interested in seeing how the main characters are different than canon. Your intro promises an interesting and unique dynamic in their interactions.

PTSD has interested me for a long time, so I'm looking forward to seeing how you handle it.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Wow, quite a setup. It will be interesting to see where it goes. Hopefully Clark is less judgement then he was.

Framework4
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Hey, y'all, I'm back with more. Next chapter up in moments, but first, some responses.

Thanks for your interest, cuidadora. This is a very different take on the characters' backstories, although I wouldn't say that the characters are that different from canon (except for Cat). Hopefully no one thinks they're acting OOC (out of character). They've just had different experiences this time around.

We'll see what happened between Clark and Cat in the next chapter.

Lois behaves differently because of her PTSD, and we'll see some of that, too.

As for Clark being less judgemental than when he was younger, Frame, remember he was an 18-year-old college freshman just out of Kansas. When I was in that situation at that age, a college professor told us - in class, no less! - we were thinking mostly with our glands. I was deeply offended. But I also realized a decade or so later that he was absolutely right. Clark's like that. He does grow up a bit, and we'll see that also.

Chapter two up in moments! I plan to post once every five to seven days, depending on my Real Life. And it's all finished, just waiting for my fingers to do the walking to the boards. And I'm not going anywhere.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
He gritted his teeth for a moment and once again pushed the memories away. Margaret Mayfield was his past, not his future. She was surely somewhere else, with someone else, maybe even in love with that someone else, and he once again put her out of his mind to focus on impressing Perry White.

Clark's heart was seriously broken...

“Will do.” Lois stood and shook her head. “Cat, I have never known you to dodge any man for any reason. I’ve seen you run them off when you’re through with them, seen you make them slink away, but never the other way around. Just what happened on that assignment?”

Cat closed her eyes and exhaled slowly. “Come over for dinner tonight and I’ll tell you everything.” She looked at Lois for a moment, then turned her head away. “I’ve never told anyone else exactly what went down back then.” She hesitated, then added, “Not even my therapist. I guess – maybe I need to tell someone.”

Lois thought about asking another question but decided that she’d get the whole story tonight. “Want me to bring anything?”

Cat blew air through her lips and shook her head. “A hearty appetite, a listening ear, and an understanding heart.”

Cat Grant was the one who did the breaking!!!??? jawdrop

Oh man... what next?

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Thanks for reading and commenting, Morgana. Yes, Cat did the breaking. And it has affected her as much as it has Clark, just in a slightly different way. And putting three emotionally damaged people together as a team creates some interesting situations, some of which I didn't anticipate in my initial treatment. You'll see some of it in the third chapter.

Which is coming up in moments. Happy shut-in reading, y'all!

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I enjoy reading the differences with this Lois. She is still absolutely tough as nails, but she's a better team player... which makes sense given her background. Not considering the theater piece beneath her, working with a partner (and having a best friend), acknowledging a romantic attraction to the new guy. We start to see a hint that she has different challenges this time around, though, with her attachment to her weapon.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard