The silence in the room after Bernie’s statement is deafening.

Both Lois and Clark are trying to process both the test results that Bernie had laid out in front of them and the implications of what the DNA results could mean. So many scenarios are running through their minds as to how it is possible that the girl Clark saw at the fire could possibly a genetic match to their eldest daughter. Possible reasons include could she be a clone, could this girl be another Lara from another dimension, or somehow, their daughter could possibly be alive.

Lois seems to find her voice first, as she asks the question that is swarming in both their minds.

“How is that possible?”

“I’m not able to say for sure how Lara is alive, but the DNA match is fairly conclusive that the girl that this sample came from and Lara are a 100% genetic match.” Bernie explains.

“And you’re sure she’s not a clone?” Clark asks this time. He knows that Bernie has had enough experience with clones to know that it might be possible. Some of the other scenarios could only be considered as insane ramblings.

“Positive.” Bernie answers. “I looked for indicators for cloning and artificial aging; and I didn’t find any. No frog DNA, no abnormal cell development. So, I’d have to conclude that this girl has lived and aged at a normal rate. However, I did find that the pituitary hormone levels are abnormally higher than what would be expected in an eleven-year-old; even one who had experienced an early onset puberty.”

“But aren’t hormone levels in teens normally high?” Lois asks. She remembers those terrible teen years all too well herself, as well as helping Lucy through her first bouts of PMS. It is not a phase she is looking forward to going through with Mariah.

“While the hormonal levels of a Kryptonian teenager, particularly a female, are unknown; given Clark’s current levels, and those of Mariah, I have to conclude that this isn’t a natural condition. It is as if the pituitary gland had been externally stimulated to produce these high levels.”

“What could have caused them?” Clark asks. While he isn’t convinced that the girl is his daughter, the ‘Dad’ part of him is reacting to any notion that there might be something wrong with her.

“I’m not really sure. Unfortunately, there isn’t anything in the sample to suggest what has caused the high levels. And until Mariah is entering puberty, I have no real basis of comparison to know for sure that these levels are in fact high or if they are the norm.” Bernie says.

Lois and Clark can both tell that it is bothering their friend to not have all the answers for them.

“It’s ok, Bernie. The information you have given us has been more than helpful.” Clark assures the scientist.

Sometime later, the couple leaves the lab and head out to their Jeep. They don’t talk until they get into the Jeep; in case someone could overhear them.

“You ok, Honey? Your heart is pounding.” Clark asks as they sit in the jeep; trying to figure out their next move.

“We were just told that a girl who jumped off the roof of a burning building this morning, and survived, is a genetic match to the daughter we buried almost twelve years ago. I’d think anyone’s heart would be pounding.” Lois answers.

“Lois, we don’t know for sure if this girl is really our Lara. Bernie just said that she doesn’t appear to be a clone. There could be another reason why she’s here.”

“You think that Mr. Wells had something to do with her being here? And that he’ll show up any minute need our help getting her back to the dimension that she belongs?” Lois asks. Then as if realizing what she said, adds: “What does it say for our lives that we believe that that could be a logical explanation?”

“Stranger things have happened to us.” Clark answers.

“Where are you going?” Lois asks, noticing that Clark is tugging at his tie like he is about to spin into the suit and take off.

“I’m going to try to find her. If this girl really is Lara, I want to know what happened to her.” Clark explains.

“She could be anywhere.” Lois feels the need to point out.

“I doubt she can fly yet; so, she couldn’t have crossed any oceans. And I honestly don’t feel that she would have left Metropolis.”

“I want to help you look.” Lois says. And while Clark was prepared for it, it doesn’t make it any easier for what he says next.

“We’re not sure what powers she might have or what she might do. The look in her eyes last night, spoke volumes enough that it is important to be cautious with her until we know what she’s capable of.”

“Do you really think she’s dangerous?”

“This morning she stood on the roof of a burning building, with absolutely no emotion. Then, she fell from a height that would have killed an ordinary person and walked away unfazed. That suggests that something isn’t right. And Bernie even said that there is something wrong in her blood. If she is somehow, our Lara; we don’t know what she has been through. I just think we need to be careful until we know for sure that she isn’t dangerous.” Clark explains.

“Be careful. As you said, we don’t know what she’s capable of.” Lois finally says.

“I will.” With that, Clark leans over and gives Lois a kiss before getting out of the jeep and disappears with a woosh followed by a sonic boom.

Not knowing what else to do, Lois heads to the Daily Planet. Maybe she can get Jimmy to look into property records of the building where Clark had seen Lara. It might provide answers to who, or what, this girl really is as Lois is convinced that it wasn’t a random building.

During the drive, her mind keeps going back to the days between the shooting, Lara’s birthday, and the funeral; trying to find even the slightest possibility that Lara could possibly be alive. When she had been rushed to the hospital that day, the doctors had put her under anesthesia for surgery to not only stop her own bleeding; but to do an emergency cesarian delivery. She had woken up several hours later in a recovery room with Clark at her side. She hadn’t had to ask him about Lara, as the devastated look on his face had told her all she needed to know.

The doctor had told them that Lara had lived briefly, but that it hadn’t been more than a few minutes. In light of what they are dealing with now, Lois has to wonder if that had really been true. Soon other things that she hadn’t stopped to analyze before now made her question if what they had believed is really the truth.

It felt like now that they had started looking closer at Lara’s death, things that they hadn’t noticed at the time keeps appearing to pull them down the rabbit hole. She isn’t sure exactly where it is going to take them; but she is determined to find out. She hopes Clark can find Lara quickly so they can get the answers to the questions that have been plaguing them since Dr. Klein had revealed what he had found in testing the blood sample.

In the end it is surprisingly easy for Clark to find Lara. He had been flying over Metropolis when he had heard sirens from the 10th street bridge. Deciding to see if the emergency is anything he could help with; Clark adjusts his course to the bridge. When he arrives, he finds a fire truck and ambulance on scene; the firefighters are prepping the ladder to reach the top of the support tower on the north side of the bridge. He lands near a group of firefighters as they are trying to figure out how to raise the ladder to where they need it and avoid the support cables that hold up the road deck.

The fire chief on scene approaches him as soon as he lands.

“Got a possible jumper, Superman. We’re not sure how she managed to get up there. But being on the edge of the scaffold, it’s going to be difficult to reach her…” That was all Clark needed to hear as he took off and flew to the top of the support tower.

He is only mildly surprised to see that it’s the same girl from the fire. She is standing on the other side of the railing for the service platform, hovering over the edge of the bridge, staring down at the rushing water below. And like before, there isn’t the slightest hint of panic, or any emotion, as she stood hovering above the jaws of death.

As he lands on the top of the tower, Clark takes in Lara’s appearance, noting details he hadn’t this morning.

Lara’s long hair, styled into two French braids, is slightly lighter than Lois’s and, in the sunlight, he could see the natural auburn highlights that Clark is confident that Lara had inherited from his mother. She is dressed in a loose fit shirt that is a size or two too large, a pair of worn out jeans, and a pair of battered converse sneakers. Lara’s clothing seems to emphasize how thin she is. While she obviously has Lois’s slim build, Lara looks almost emaciated.

“Lara,” Clark says quietly to try to get her attention. He doesn’t realize that he had said her name almost sub vocally, but it doesn’t matter as Clark knows she had heard him.

To the average observer it would appear that Lara had given no reaction to him saying her name. But to Clark notices the increased tempo of Lara’s heartbeat and the way her hands tightened on the bars of the service railing that she’s holding onto.

“Lara, is that you?” Clark ties again.

This time she turns to face him. Without the veil of smoke and darkness, Clark is able to see the details of her face. It’s undeniable that this girl is their daughter, even if she is possibly from another dimension. She had inherited much of her features from Lois. However, her eyes, those deep brown eyes that are beginning to glisten with unshed tears. They are a perfect match to the ones that stare back at him from the mirror.

“You again? Can’t you just leave me alone?” Lara says as she obviously recognizes him from the fire. But Clark notices that she doesn’t seem to know who he really is. If she were from another dimension, he suspects that Lara would know who him and Lois are. The nagging voice in the back of his mind reminds Clark that if this is in fact his daughter, there would be no way that she could know him or Lois.

“I don’t want to see you do something to hurt yourself.” Clark says gently. Lara or not, Clark knows that normally the best way to talk someone down in this situation is to be their friend.

“You seen this morning that I can’t do anything to seriously hurt myself.” Lara says as she resumes staring at the water. One of her hands lets go of the railing and hangs listlessly at her side. Clark moves marginally closer and prepares himself to grab her if Lara decides to jump.

“Why do you want to hurt yourself?” Clark asks.

“I don’t want to be what they’re trying to force me to be.” Lara says. It is so quiet that even Clark has trouble hearing it. But he does notice Lara’s fingers flexing on the railing, indicating that she is probably about to let go.

“And what’s that?”

Lara doesn’t immediately answer the question. She just stares at the water rushing below them. Finally, in a voice so quiet that again Clark has trouble clearly hearing, she says:

“A monster.”

With that Lara lets go with her other hand and shifts forward over the edge.

Last edited by Daytonagirl; 05/11/20 04:37 PM.

Not all those who wander are lost.