Injustice
Folc4evernaday
Chapter 1: Bite My Tongue and Hold My Breath

Five Years Later…

A smile spread across Lois Lane’s face as she pressed her cheek against the cotton pillow beneath her. She felt her husband’s breath against the nape of her neck as he wrapped his arms around her, looping his right arm comfortably around her waist as he pressed his lips against her cheek. She reached her hand back, patting his cheek and grinning to herself when she felt him pull her against him, leaning in to capture her lips. Her lips parted, feeling his lips caress hers as his hands roamed up and down her sides.

She rolled over on her side, turning to face him and reached her hand out to cup his cheek. “Hey.”

“Hey, yourself,” he replied, cradling her in his arms.

She brushed her index finger against the bridge of his nose, noting the tension lines across his forehead. “Everything okay?”

Clark shook his head, resting his forehead against hers, “Just…grateful.” His hand brushed across her face, outlining the frame of her face with his thumb as he gazed back at her. “Counting our blessings.”

She pointed to the purplish bruise on his forehead, “Last night’s run-in with Parasite still hasn’t completely healed up.”

Her mind drifted back to the run-in Clark had had with the latest supervillain that had been hell bent on using Clark as his never-ending energy supply. Another recent accidental villain due to bureaucracy incompetence. A point that she would be sure to point out when she put the finishing touches on Parasite’s reign of terror of Metropolis.

Rudy Jones seemed to be just another ordinary janitor. He had worked at S.T.A.R. Labs for years. However when faced with the opportunity to take advantage of one of the scientists’ forgetful nature he had been exposed to a radioactive substance that had turned him into a powerful being that couldn’t seem to quench his thirst for energy – feeding off of innocent Metropolis citizens until he found himself facing off with Superman.

Clark and Dr. Klein had found a way to combat Parasite by using his unquenchable thirst for energy against him. The poisonous rock that had the power to bring Clark to his knees had been the very weapon they needed to combat Parasite. After inheriting Clark’s abilities temporarily, the nefarious villain had inherited his weaknesses as well. Thankfully, after Parasite’s exposure to the Kryptonite all memories he’d inherited from Clark – including the knowledge that Clark and Superman were one and the same- had disappeared.

Clark shrugged his shoulders, tightening his arms around her, “Dr. Klein said it should be healed up in a few days.” He leaned in to kiss her. “Lois, I’m fine, I promise.” His hand moved across her cheek, “Parasite is in custody without a single memory of anyone he victimized. We found one good thing to use Kryptonite for. Most of my strength has returned. I’m here with my gorgeous wife and our incredible son who is still snoring like a chainsaw in the next room – who continues to be oblivious that anything even happened last night.”

“Thanks to his knack for getting his grandparents to stop for ice cream on the way home.” Lois bit her lower-lip, feeling her own doubts waver as she stared back at him. “He doesn’t snore like a chainsaw. A leaf blower maybe…”

“My mistake,” Clark grinned back at her.

“I love you, you know that,” Lois murmured back at him.

“I believe you’ve mentioned it a time or two,” he stroked her jaw with his thumb. He let out a chuckle, “He’s still snoring like a bullhorn.”

She giggled, leaning against him. “It’s cute.”

“Adorable.” He agreed, nodding his head in agreement. “But I’m glad he isn’t sleeping in here anymore.”

“Yeah?” Lois teased, tracing his collar bone with her index finger. “I kinda miss it. His little baby snores and rocking him to sleep.”

“Mmm hmm,” Clark tightened his arms around her, “And that curious expression he used to get when he was trying to figure something new out.” He gave her a peck on the cheek. “Just like his mother.”

“How is our son already turning four?” Lois whimpered, leaning her head against him.

“I don’t know,” Clark chuckled, leaning in to brush his lips against her cheek. “Seems like just yesterday we were watching him struggle to scoot across the foyer floor and now we’re lucky if he can even sit still long enough to stay in one room for longer than twenty minutes.”

Lois let out a breath, feeling the mixed emotions hit her like a wave. While she loved every second of Jon’s curious nature and watching him become more and more like his father everyday there was a part of her that ached for him to stay this age just a little longer. The surprise of her pregnancy with Jon and his subsequent arrival had left both her and Clark in survival mode the better part of their first year of marriage. Looking back on that time she found herself yearning for the easier times when her rambunctious toddler was still small enough to fit in her arms and the hardest thing either of them had to figure out was whether he was hungry or tired.

His gaze drifted to the curve of her hip where his hand was currently resting. She followed his gaze momentarily before turning her attention back to him, tracing the outline of his jaw with her index finger. A slow smile spread across her face as she looped her arms around his neck, “So, Jon is still asleep?”

A knowing look crossed his face and he wiggled his eyebrows at her before wrapping her in his arms and rolling on top of her as she let out a light-hearted giggle, savoring the feeling of being in her husband’s arms.

Martha Kent finished placing the red bow on the polka dot covered gift in front of her. Jonathan brought over a fresh cup of coffee. “You know he’s just going to tear that to pieces when he sees it, Martha.”

“I know, but I want to make sure everything’s perfect.” Martha beamed back at her husband. She let out a happy sigh, “I can’t believe Jon is already turning four.”

“Time certainly does fly by, doesn’t it?” Jonathan chuckled, taking a seat next to her.

She followed his gaze, looking around the townhome they had been living in for the last four and a half years. After Lois and Clark had shared the news of Lois’ pregnancy and some discussions with Wayne Irig they had made the difficult decision to move to Metropolis and rent out the farmhouse to Wayne and his nephew, Eugene. The decision wasn’t made lightly. Both her and Jonathan had grown up in Smallville and loved every moment they had shared there. Though as much as they both loved the small town they knew the trips from Smallville to Metropolis would continue to be burdensome. More so, with the arrival of their first grandchild. Missing moments with him and their son due to their being so far away seemed like a small issue that could easily be addressed with a necessary move to the city their son had called home.

As much as she had expected Jonathan to argue with her on this decision he had been the biggest supporter. The move had made it so they could help with Jon when Lois and Clark needed them and start what she liked to refer to as their own second act. Jonathan had taken a job at a local hardware store and moved up over the last few years into management, finding his niche in the quick paced city he had once despised. Finding friends in some of the most unique places. The owner of the hardware store, Al was originally from Kansas. The two had immediately hit it off and forged a friendship.

Martha had been working part time at the Museum of Art and taking advantage of some of the free classes that were offered to seniors at the Metropolis University. So far she had learned two new languages and become immersed in art history. She enjoyed the intellectual challenges that came with learning new subjects and savored the flexibility it gave her. She had quickly made friends with the other senior students and even bonded with Al’s sister, Marie who was often accompanied them on their dinners and visits with Al.

Metropolis had become their home and with it she and Jonathan had grown closer, savoring each moment they had with their grandson and watching their son grow into the father and husband they knew he was capable of. It was hard to imagine it was nearly six years ago when their lives had been turned upside down by Lex Luthor’s deadly attack on both Lois and Clark. The mental scars were still there for both Lois and Clark – even after all these years. But rather than let the painful memories define them they had grown in spite of the despicable acts they had endured at the hands of Lex Luthor.

She admired and respected the resilience Lois had shown through the trials she had been forced to undergo. Through everything she never gave up. She had fought tooth and nail to save Clark from his mental and physical prison and helped pull him from the depths of despair to find himself once more. Watching and hearing of the progress Clark had made through their time on the run, Martha had become convinced Lois was the only one for Clark. The heinous acts she had suffered would have sent anyone else running for the hills had only made her more determined. She refused to give up on Clark and even more so refused to allow him to walk away from his alter-ego. The alter-ego that Lex Luthor now knew.

Every fear Clark had once had had become a reality. It became her and Jonathan’s reality as well when they had been forced to hide, knowing Lex Luthor was out there and capable of anything. They had spent months desperately waiting for some form of communication from Clark after he’d been rescued. It never came. Lois was desperately trying to keep them informed as she looked over her shoulder and attempted to drag Clark out of the mental despair he had been locked away in. Both she and Jonathan had resigned themselves to the fact that he may never reach out. Until the moment that he had contacted Wayne Irig. The relief that had washed over the both of them when they had gotten the call from Wayne had brought her to tears. They both had been so relieved to finally see Clark and hear his voice.

Though he was not the same person he had once been. What he had suffered at the hands of Lex Luthor – it had changed him. Over time, the bitterness had disappeared, but Clark was no longer naive about the world and never allowed himself to go into a situation without having an exit strategy. Attending a rescue without first letting someone know was a thing of the past. It was a necessary change that she wished had not come at such a steep price.

Still, deep down, the core of what made Clark the man she and Jonathan had raised him to be was still there. A truth that she savored as she watched him grow into a loving husband and father, dedicated to taking care of his family – even when life had been so cruel.

“Think he’ll like it?” Martha asked, holding up the medium sized box with a big red bow on the top.

“I think Jon will love it.” Jonathan beamed, leaning in to kiss her on the cheek.

Tobias Berg was not a patient man. His dark eyes reflected nothing of the sort when he bore into those unfortunate enough to have crossed him. He fingered the thinning hair on the top of his head and let out a heavy sigh as he looked over at his lieutenant who was shaking in fear.

“Gregory, do I look like a man that accepts failure?” Tobias picked the sterling silver pen up from its stand on his desk and examined it as he spoke. “I gave you a job. A chance to turn your life around after society so mercilessly turned its back on you.”

“Tobias, I swear I’ll find her…” Gregory stammered out as Tobias flipped the end of the pen open and revealed a hidden switchblade. Gregory’s eyes widened in horror and stammered. “Tobias, please just let me talk to some of the girls. I’m sure I can…” Gregory let out a loud hiss as he reached for his leg that was now impaled with the sharp silver pen.

Tobias looked across the room unfazed by Gregory’s yelps of pain and coldly remarked, “Be sure to have that cleaned. It was a gift.”

“Yes, Tobias,” Gregory whimpered behind his tears as he limped out of the room.

Lois let out a happy sigh, watching as Jon poured a spoonful of the cake batter into the cakepan in front of him. She glanced toward the living room where Clark was discreetly setting up decorations out of the line of sight of the birthday boy. Jon like any other boy his age looked up to Superman and admired him but still didn’t know that Superman and his daddy were one and the same. And if she had anything to say about it, Jon would remain in the dark about that fact for as long as they could reasonably get away with it. She knew it wasn’t realistic to expect he would believe his father and Superman were two different people forever but having her son’s childhood changed with a revelation like this wasn’t something she looked forward to. It felt no different than telling him there was no Santa Claus ore Easter Bunny.

“Look, mommy!” Jon squealed as the cake batter swirled into different colored that almost looked like a rabbit. “A bunny cake!”

“Mmm, bunny cakes are my favorite,” Lois grinned back at him as she reached over to help him even the cake batter out with the spatula.

“Mine too,” Jon giggled pouring another spoonful into the cake pan.

“Bunny cake?” Clark called, walking up behind them. “I thought we were making a neon cake.”

“We are but look!” Jon pointed at the bright yellow patterns inside the cake pan. “A bunny.”

“That’s awesome, buddy.” Clark leaned in to hug him, reaching over to brush some of the blue cake batter off Jon’s face. “You think it’s ready to go in the oven.

“Yup!” Jon grinned back at Clark, setting his spoon inside the now empty batter bowl.

Lois watched with a smile as Jon was handed his own set of oven mitts to put on. Clark put on the show of slipping his own oven mitts on and opened the oven door and set the cake pan inside the oven and closed the door.

“All right, high five,” Clark held his hand up for Jon to give him a high five through the oven mitt he was wearing. “Happy Birthday, buddy.”

“It’s my birthday, mommy!” Jon grinned on happily.

“So, I’ve been told,” Lois whispered, leaning in to kiss him on the cheek. “Come on, let’s get you cleaned up before your grandparents get here.”

Jon grinned happily, holding up his sticky red and green hands for inspection. The color would be a pain to get out, but the memories would last forever. Lois led him over to the sink to help him clean the color off his hands.

“How many kids are supposed to be coming?” Clark asked, wiping down the counter as Lois lathered enough soap for Jon to clean his hands with.

“I think there were eight kids that RSVP’d.” Lois said helping Jon rub his hands together beneath the water to wash the soapy residue away.

“How many pizzas do you think?” Clark asked, pointing to the time.

“Oh, shoot!” Lois let out a heavy sigh. “I forgot to order the pizza.”

“I’ll go pick it up,” Clark handed her a towel to dry Jon’s hands.

“Okay, um, I guess cheese and pepperoni for the kids and what do you think three large for the grown ups?” Lois guessed aloud as she patted Jon’s hands dry.

“Sounds good,” Clark leaned in to kiss her then leaned down to where he was eye-level with Jon. “Any special requests from the birthday boy?”

“Cheese!” Jon grinned back at his dad happily. “Lots of cheese.”

“Cheese it is,” Clark tapped his hand to his forehead as if to salute a superior. “Be good for you mom, bud. I’ll be back in a few.”

“Yes, sir,” Jon tapped his own forehead with his arm and watched as his dad headed for the door to leave. He looked back at his mom and asked, “How much longer until we can frosty the cake?”

“The cake will have to cool down before we can frost it.” Lois explained, pointing toward the back door leading to their backyard. “How about we go test that bouncy house out?”

“Yay!”

Five Years Ago…

Clark around the townhome, setting the last of the boxes in the foyer. He glanced toward the kitchen where Lois was sitting on the floor attempting to unpack the pots and pans from where they had been neatly packed up. He let out a soft chuckle when he saw Lois staring at the small steaming pot with confusion as she placed her hand in the bottom of it.

“It’s for steaming vegetables,” Clark explained from the doorway.

“It has holes in the bottom,” Lois pondered aloud as she shook her head. “I feel like I’m missing a piece somewhere…”

“Here,” Clark pointed to the matching stainless-steel pot sitting just out of reach.

Lois placed the pot beneath the steamer pot, smirking back at him when they fit perfectly. “Well, that makes sense.”

“Last of the boxes have been moved,” Clark said, squatting down to help take the empty box from Lois.

“So, we’re officially moved in?” Lois asked with a glint in her eyes.

“I still have to drop the keys off with Floyd, but yes,” Clark grinned back at her. “We’re officially moved in.” He looked around the kitchen, noting the half emptied boxes. “Is there a reason you started in the kitchen?”

“I was looking for the cups,” Lois gave him a wry expression, “and then got distracted.”

Clark let out a chuckle, reaching over to move one of the boxes to make room for him to take a seat next to her. “I’ll find the cups.” He lowered his glasses, looking over to the left where the small kitchen island was covered in three boxes and grinned. “Second box to the left.” He pointed at the kitchen island proudly.

She reached up to brace herself on the cabinet handle behind her, attempting to stand up. No small feat at four and a half months pregnant. Clark reached his hand out to help her to her feet as he rose from the tile floor.

“Ta da,” he pulled the tape on the top of the box off and flipped the flap over to reveal the neatly packed cups to Lois.

“My hero,” Lois gushed, leaning in to kiss him as she looped her arms around his neck. She let out a heavy sigh, looking around their new townhome with a weary expression. “It’s going to take us forever to get this place unpacked.”

“I can have everything unpacked in two seconds,” Clark reminded her, reaching his hand out to stroke her cheek.

“Taking everything out of boxes is one thing, but we still need to figure out where to put everything,” Lois reminded him, stroking the outline of his jaw with her index finger.

“We have no furniture, remember?”

“We have a bed…and a dresser.” He reminded her happily, wrapping his arms around her expanding waist. “The rest of everything can go in the spare bedroom until the rest of the furniture gets here.”

“Uh-huh,” Lois giggled, shaking her head. “My point exactly.”

“Well, so we live out of boxes for a few weeks,” he shrugged his shoulders. “We’ve survived worse.”

“I know,” she offered him a sad smile. “I just wish we could get everything unpacked before I start resembling the Metro blimp and can barely make it up and down the stairs.”

“Don’t be ridiculous, you’re barely even showing,” he placed his hands possessively over the small bump that had begun to form along her waistline. “And you’re gorgeous.”

“I can barely make it down the steps to the newsroom without getting winded,” Lois reminded him.

“They added like eight steps.” Clark reminded her. “Perry even gets winded.”

“Uh-huh,” Lois gave him a ‘yeah right’ expression rolling her eyes. “You’re biased.”

“Maybe, but that still doesn’t change the fact that you my gorgeous wife are the most incredible pregnant woman I’ve ever seen.” Clark tightened his arms around her, leaning in to kiss her.

“Smooth talker,” Lois teased, stroking his face with her palm.

“And I mean every word,” he murmured, resting his forehead against hers. “Lois, we’ve got plenty of time to figure out where everything’s going to go…” He gestured to the space around them. “We’ve got four bedrooms to work with.”

Lois nodded silently, resting her head against his chest. “We lost three months of planning. I feel like we’re scrambling to catch up. There’s still so much to do.”

“I know,” Clark acknowledged, letting out a long sigh. “We’ll figure it all out. Just like we always do.”

“Pretty confident there,” Lois noted with a smile.

Clark smiled, “I’ve seen you face off with some pretty fearsome opponents. I think time management will run screaming by the time you’re done with it.”

Lois let out a soft giggle, looping her arms around her neck. “So, what you’re saying is I’m worrying for nothing?”

“No, I think it’s good you’re worried. I’m just trying to put it into perspective.” Clark ran his hand against her back and pointed to the corner where two boxes were sitting on top of the built-in breakfast nook. “I know it seems like a lot. But when this little one is born and driving us both crazy with feeding schedules and arguing about dinner and bedtime stories it won’t seem that big of a deal.”

“You think so?” Lois looked up at him with a grin.

“I know so,” he replied confidently. He gestured to the island. “This little one is going to be so lucky to have you as his or her mother. Teaching him or her how to talk and read and cook….”

“Don’t get any ideas about cooking. I’m still limited on my expertise in the kitchen,” Lois reminded him with a giggle.

He let out a chuckle, “Oh, I don’t know about that…”

“Cooking!” Lois swatted his chest playfully as he leaned in to capture her mouth with his.

Jack Davenport looked over the report in front of him, uncertain how to respond to the DEA Agent in front of him. A frown crossed his face as he looked to the dark haired man sitting across from him.

“Agent Scardino…”

“Dan.”

“Dan,” Davenport let out a heavy sigh as he glanced up at him, setting the report down. “This case is over a month old. Any lead your partner might have had would have been dried up by now. The FBI can’t just commit it’s resources to find an agent the DEA lost contact with. Especially if she was …”

“Look, Davenport, I get it. The FBI plays by different rules than the DEA. I don’t want to get into a pissing contest over whose badge is bigger.” Dan Scardino waved his hand in the air. “Frankly, I don’t give a damn. Jenna wouldn’t just go silent on us. There’s something more going on here.”

“Let’s say I believe you, Agent Scardino,” Davenport pointed to the file in front of him. “What have I got to go on?”

Scardino let out a heavy sigh, “They say you’re one of the best agents on the force.” Dan gave him a pleading look. “I’m desperate. I know Jenna. I know she wouldn’t just…”

“She was more than just your partner, wasn’t she?” Davenport summarized.

“She was my fiancée,” Dan Scardino swallowed hard, running his hands across his face with a weary sigh. “Please, Davenport, I just need someone to help me.”

“Officially, I have to tell you there’s no case here. Officially, I have to tell you that given the time lapse and the fact that the DEA has yet to declare Agent Blake as an official missing agent there is nothing the FBI can do.” Davenport jotted his number down on the pad with a note of where to start and pushed it toward Scardino. “Officially that’s what I have to tell you.”

Dan Scardino smiled, reading the note on the pad and tucking it into his pocket. “Thank you for your time, Agent Davenport.”

“Good luck, Agent Scardino.”

Present Day…

The backyard was filled with laughter as Clark carried the tall stack of pizzas in his arms, keeping an eye out for any toddlers darting in front of him as he made his way to the folding table Lois had setup for the food and cake. He stole a glance toward the bouncy house where Jon was propped up against the side with his friend Michael picking up the colorful balls that had fallen out.

“Mmm, pizza,” Lois grinned when she saw him approaching.

Clark smiled, leaning in to kiss Lois as he set the boxes down on the space she had cleared off. “Pepperoni and cheese.” He pointed to the box on the bottom. “And of course, one supreme no onions.”

“My hero,” Lois grinned back at him, looping her arms around his neck.

“Pizza!” he heard Jon’s voice squeal from across the backyard with the subsequent shrieks coming from his friends.

He quickly went into action, helping grab plates and helping Lois set out the pizza for the kids while his mom and dad helped carry the plates over to the small table, they had setup with a blue and green table cloth. A grin crossed his face as he watched the crowd of kids surround the table, taking their seats with loud cheers. Once the kids were settled, he turned his attention to Lois who was watching Jon with an equally content expression he was sure was mirrored on his own face.

Ellen approached, cradling her water bottle with her sunglasses pushed back on her head, looking on at Jon and his friends and then back to where Lois and he were standing. “What a turnout. Did you see those kids trying to do backflips in the ball pit?”

“They’re having a blast, mom,” Lois agreed, letting out a long sigh. “I’m still not sure why you had to have such an extravagant bouncy house. He would have been fine with a ball pit and some water guns.”

“Oh, I know, but he’ll only turn four once.” Ellen gushed, leaning in to give them both a side hug. “Besides, it’s a grandparents’ job to spoil her grandkids.” She let out a long sigh. “Lord knows with the rate your sister is going this might be my only chance…”

Lois let out a groan, shaking her head. “Lucy is in med school, mom.”

“Ellen, I think the attendant was looking for you,” Sam approached, pointing to the man standing by the colorful red and blue bouncy house behind him. “I think there was a misunderstanding on the time…”

“Oh, for goodness sake…” Ellen mumbled, heading toward the attendant to sort out the confusion.

Clark let out a chuckle as he watched her leave and turned to where Sam and his dad were squatted at the miniature picnic table, helping refill Jon and his friends’ plates. He felt a heavy weight on his chest as he watched the two grandfathers interact with his son. It amazed him to watch little innocent moments like this unfold. There was a time when a quiet afternoon like this with their families and friends all together would have been a fool’s dream. After everything that had happened with Luthor – nearly losing everything he held dear – he never would have imagined the future would be so bright. He found a way to push past his fears and embrace his alter-ego despite Luthor’s knowledge of his being Superman.

He never would have imagined he and Lois would have ever been able to work through the demons that had been weighed on them. Not only had they endured the very worst at Luthor’s hands and survived but they had found a way to build their lives together from the ashes of what had been. There had been a time when he had accepted his fate to forever be known as his undercover identity, Collin Kane – destined to never revisit his life as Clark Kent again. He had resigned himself to his fate and spent many nights tortured over the heavy loss. If he had his way he probably would have stayed hidden and never ventured out.

Lois had pushed him.

Lois had been his saving grace through every torturous moment. She had been there to help guide him back and remind him of who he was when he was content to bury himself in his depression and forget the world. She refused to give up on him. To this day, she continued to be his rock and the very fiber that kept him grounded when the world around them threatened to become too much.

Jon’s very existence was a miracle. Conceived in the heat of the moment after nearly two years of quiet longing – Jon was the beautiful miracle he would thank the heavens for every waking moment of every day. It had been terrifying to learn Lois was not only pregnant but had survived the impossible throughout.

Gunshots.

Surgery.

Recovery.

She had endured it all and Jon had continued to survive – proving just how strong his will to live was. Thankfully Pete had already known about his alter ego. His childhood friend had proven to be a great ally and had subsequently introduced them to Dr. Klein who had been an equally trustworthy friend and confidante.

He stole a glance toward Lois who appeared to be carrying the weight of the innuendo from her mother’s recent complaints over subsequent grandchildren. He sighed and reached his arm over to hold her close.

“Hey, you okay?”

“Fine,” Lois shrugged her shoulders, twiddling with the fabric on her blouse. “I think we should probably let these kids run off some more energy before cutting the cake.”

“Probably a good idea. I don’t think they’ll argue.” Clark grinned back at her. He placed a hand on her shoulder. “Lois?”

“I know it wasn’t aimed at me…” Lois said softly.

“She didn’t mean it,” Clark said gently. “You know how your mom gets.”

“I know,” Lois smiled sadly.

The underground transit station was abuzz with activity as people moved from place to place, focused on their next destination. Mothers tending to their children as they waited impatiently for the next train to come through. Businessmen and women checking the time as they calculated the time they had to prepare for their next meeting with a client. Each person was lost in their own world as the underground subway tunnels hummed with the trains whirling by in the distance.

Everyone that is except for one person.

Off to the corner where the tracks and open platform began a young woman with a slender figure and bleach blonde hair stood with her arms wrapped around her. The breeze from the motion of the trains flying by bristled through her hair as she stared off into the distance, watching everyone.

Watching the Transit Manager sift through the tickets that had been collected through the turnstiles.

Watching the many patrons whose attention were anywhere but focused on her.

Watching as the Transit Operator drove unsuspectingly toward her.

She took in a deep breath, steadying herself as the wind bristled through her hair and she took a step toward the edge of the open platform….

Five Years Ago…

Lois fingered her husband’s hand as she leaned back against the thin sheet covering the exam table. This was her second visit with the doctor since discovering she was pregnant. Her mind had been reeling from the shock for the better part of a month, still trying to comprehend how a baby had survived her being shot and the stress of Dr. Pete Ross’ emergency surgery to retrieve the bullets and the heavy dose of drugs that weren’t even in the realm of being safe for pregnancy. Still, this baby had stubbornly survived against all odds, proving that much like his or her parents this baby was made of much stronger stuff than what they could toss his or her way.

“You’re about eighteen and a half weeks now?” the technician asked as she squeezed the warm gel on her small bump and rolled the ultrasound wand over her bump.

“Yes,” Lois said nervously, gripping Clark’s hand as she waited for the familiar thumping of their unborn child’s heartbeat to fill the room.

“Hmm, someone is hiding from us today,” the technician frowned, moving the wand to the side.

Lois glanced back at Clark feeling a sense of dread run down her spine. “I-is that normal?”

“Babies tend to move around a lot in the later months,” the technician explained. “I think we’ve found.. Ah! There we are.” The loud thumping filled the room, and Lois smiled as she listened to the sound of her baby’s heartbeat once more. The more time she spent preparing for their child’s upcoming arrival the more she felt this innate instinct to go to the ends of the Earth and protect the life growing inside her.

“Someone’s a little stubborn today.” The technician commented as the thumping stopped again.

“Probably hereditary,” Clark remarked with a teasing smile as the thumping returned.

“Heartbeat and placenta all look normal.” The technician smiled as she continued rolling the wand over Lois’ belly. “Oh! It looks like we can even see what the baby is –unless you want to wait?”

Clark looked at Lois, “It’s up to you.”

“We want to know,” Lois said letting out a long breath as Clark wrapped an arm around her.

The technician smiled warmly, “Looks like we have a healthy baby boy. Congratulations.”

“A boy?” Lois’ voice cracked when she heard the gender as tears she didn’t even realize were there began to trickle down her cheeks.

“Looks to be a perfectly healthy baby boy,” the technician noted as she pointed out the different parts that were growing on their son, noting the different measurements she wasn’t sure how to make heads or tales of.

Lois looked back at Clark as he whispered in her ear, “I love you.”

Dr. Albert Schiller examined the droplets in the tube in front of him. The features on his face tensed as he looked through the microscope, tapping his hand on the table with a light drum. He smiled to himself, snapping the rubber gloves on his hands and then pulled out a small syringe.

A sharp hiss came from the cage where he had locked up stray animals that had made the mistake of crossing over his doorstep. “Not to worry. This will only hurt for a moment…”

The phone rang on the other side of where his lab was setup and he let out a low growl, setting the syringe down and reaching for the phone. “What is it?”

“We got the leak taken care of, Dr. Schiller.” The thick German accent came over the phone lines and Schiller recognized the voice immediately as one of his business acquaintances, Yusif Ligor.

“It’s contained?”

“She won’t be talking to anyone ever again.”

“Be sure to contain any others she may have spoken with.” Schiller ordered before slamming the phone down.

The pristine white walls had little effect on Clark Kent’s mood as he looked across the desk to where his friend, Pete Ross was seated, fiddling with the pen in his hand. The décor was exactly what he would have expected from Pete. Classic cars framed on the wall with a few collections of photographs from Pete’s wedding to Lana and of course the graduation photos next to his framed doctorate degree hanging on the wall.

Pete tossed the hacky sack in the air as he finally broke the silence. “I’m not an OB.”

“I know.” Clark let out a heavy breath, shaking his head.

“I don’t even live in Metropolis.” Pete reminded him.

“Another good point,” Clark agreed, running a hand through his hair.

“You need a real doctor.”

“Isn’t that what you went to medical school for?”

“Oh, he’s got jokes now,” Pete joked, letting out a quiet snort. He set the hacky sack down on his desk and sighed, “Look, I can’t explain it. The only plausible explanation is what makes you…you is what protected the baby from …”

“Being shot.” Clark supplied grimly.

“The bullet was close. I didn’t say it struck any major organs there.” Pete shrugged his shoulders. “Her shoulder took more damage than anything.”

“And the whole nearly dying and having an emergency surgery in your exam room?” Clark cocked an eyebrow at him. “The morphine alone …”

“There’s no other explanation, Clark,” Pete let out a long sigh. “I’m sorry.”

“What if something else shows up?”

“Like what?”

“I don’t know,” Clark let out a heavy sigh. “I’m in uncharted territory here.”

“Look, I get it. It’s scary as hell, but …”

“I can’t take the risk of someone connecting Lois and our son to Superman.” Clark said firmly. “Look what happened with Luthor.”

“You think her doctor is going to throw her in a Kryptonite laced asylum?” Pete shook his head. “That’d definitely get ‘em in front of the medical board.”

“You’re not funny.”

“You give me unrealistic scenarios and I give you reality.” Pete grinned back at him. “It’s an even trade.”

“I’m serious.”

“I know you are,” Pete nodded, pulling out a pen and paper. “Look, I don’t think you’re at any risk with Lois seeing a regular OB, but I do think you should work with someone to help plan for when little Supes there starts floating in his crib…”

“Not even remotely funny, Pete…”

“What you don’t think the kid is gonna take after his old man?” Pete teased.

“I’ve got enough to worry about.” Clark ran a hand across his face and shook his head.

“Look, I know you’re a little put off after everything with that Dr. Kelly character but this is one of the doctor’s I interned with out in Washington. He has one of the best reputations out there and he excels in challenging the norm and examining the paranormal…” Pete chuckled, “He’s right up your alley.”

“Sounds promising at least….” Clark admitted. “What’s this guy’s name?”

“Bernard Klein. He just transferred to S.T.A.R. Labs. He hasn’t picked his location yet.” Pete passed the card to him and winked. “Maybe a visit from everyone’s favorite superhero will persuade him to settle down in Metropolis.”

“Thanks Pete,” Clark smiled back at his friend.

“Anytime, man.” Pete nodded to him and added with a smile. “Now, in between freaking out and stressing over the boogie man I do hope you find a way to relax.”

“Easier said than done.”

“See? You’re already starting to sound like a dad.”

Present Day…

Lois set her mug of hot tea on the table, looking toward the living room where Jon was fast asleep on the couch curled up next to his Grandpa Jon while Martha and Ellen were catching up with one another. She stole a glance at Clark who was cleaning up the kitchen.

She felt the corners of her mouth twitch as she looked on. It warmed her heart to see her son experience the simple moments with family she never had. She didn’t have a lot of memories with her grandparents. Many of the memories she did have were of the hospital visits when her grandmother was near the end of her life. Watching Jon have the joy of spending time on a regular basis with both sets of grandparents filled her heart with such joy.

When Martha and Jonathan had announced their intention to move to Metropolis both she and Clark had been concerned. The decision couldn’t be an easy one and neither she nor Clark wanted them to uproot their lives over a false sense of obligation to either of them. Clark had quickly countered them with the reminder of Jonathan’s apprehension of the big city. The farm had been in the family for generations and giving up that life wasn’t something that just happened overnight. The cultural change would be hard for both of them.

Still, Martha and Jonathan had been determined. When they explained their reasoning for wanting to be closer neither she nor Clark could argue with the logic. It would be easier having them nearby. Sharing the milestones Jon had over the years had certainly been all the more wonderful knowing the Kents were just a phone call away.

Her parents had certainly surprised her too. Not only had they figured out how to bury the hatchet they each had been carrying for years but somewhere in the midst of the chaos they had learned to not only coexist with one another but to rediscover what it was that made them love one another to begin with. Tentatively optimistic had been the way her mother had described it. Whatever it was that had brought them closer Lois hoped this journey for the both of them wouldn’t end in heartache.

Clark took a seat next to her and passed her the small plate of cookies from the party, “I think someone played hard.”

“He had a lot of fun,” Lois grinned back at Clark.

“Once everyone leaves we can get everything cleaned up,” Clark said, looking around the backyard. Despite the debate they had with concerns of ‘what if’ when she was pregnant with Jon, they had finally decided to keep her parents in the dark regarding their son-in-law’s alter-ego. It was too soon after everything that had happened with Lex Luthor and putting them in unnecessary harm’s way wasn’t how she wanted to remember bringing Jon into the world. So they had opted to wait until it was a necessary step.

Lois nodded, letting out a yawn of her own as she reached for a copy of the folded up newspaper on the table. She smiled when she saw Jimmy’s by-line on the front page. “Jimmy’s moving on up I see.”

“Yeah, Jimmy’s really come a long way.” Clark pointed to the headline. “Knocking down doors and shaking things up just like the rest of us.”

“He certainly knows how to press the political buttons,” Lois agreed, reading the headline. “’Missing Children On the Rise: Metropolis Child Trafficking Hot Spot?’” She let out a low whistle, “Perry’s certainly going to get a call from Mr. Stern on that one.”

“He let it go the press like that,” Clark smirked, shaking his head. “Though if the data Jimmy found is correct you have to wonder why no one else is saying anything.”

“Children go missing – it’s a story.” Lois corrected.

“How many stories do you remember hearing over missing children in the last month?” Clark asked solemnly. The expression on his face told her he already knew the answer.

“Five,” she frowned, second-guessing herself. “No, eight.”

Clark pointed to the paper in her hands, “According to the numbers Jimmy pulled there were over two hundred kids reported missing in the last ninety days.”

“What?” Lois grabbed the paper again, re-reading the article with careful precision intent to prove Clark wrong until she found the numbers Clark was referring to on the second paragraph. “How is that even possible?”

“That’s just the ones we know about,” Clark added.

“Do you think there’s something to this Child Trafficking line?” Lois wondered aloud.

“I don’t know,” Clark let out a sigh, about to add to his thought when a familiar expression crossed his face.

“Go.” Lois nodded to him, pointing to the back door. “Be careful.”

“Always.” He leaned in to kiss her before disappearing out the backdoor unbeknownst to any of the four adults visiting in the living room.

She glanced down at the article in front of her once more, pondering what could cause such a rise in missing children in Metropolis before moving to the Living Room.

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube