Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I’ve read this several times now and Cat’s writing is still as poignant and beautiful as the first time! I absolutely adore this story, Cat, and I hope to see more of your awesome writing soon!

In this life of froth and bubble,
Two things stand like stone.
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Many people probably don't agree with me, but LnC's version of Clark Kent is perhaps the most interesting version of the 'normal' side of the Kryptonian.
Oh, I think you'll find you're not in the minority on that one, Catherine! goofy

I don't want to turn this comments thread into a debate on other issues, but for myself, I think this fandom needs a little more diversity at times and so I welcome anything which stretches things a little. A little variety isn't a bad thing imo.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
From a broken romance and many other things in life, there can be recovery, but death is just too permanent for my taste.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Posting again, this time without my administrator's hat, wink to observe that there is certainly an interesting discussion to be had about deathfic in general - and the death of any number of characters in the Lois and Clark universe, not just Lois. Maybe those of you who'd like to discuss and debate that issue could start a thread in fanfic-related? I know I'd be interested in reading it. There are many different perspectives on the subject, and I think it could be a fascinating discussion.

admin hat on
And very briefly as an admin: Ann, thank you for your reply to my post and your apology. Honestly, no-one here - that goes for all the admin team, and I'm sure it goes for Catherine as well - has any difficulty whatsoever with you expressing your opinion on deathfic as a genre or saying that you didn't enjoy a particular story. It's just that that previous post of yours was particularly problematic in one respect: you know what that was, and you've addressed it, and I thank you for that.
/admin hat off

And, please, someone start that discussion thread - it'll make very interesting reading smile

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
thumbsup

I want to echo Dave, as I completely agree that the end through Jimmy's eyes is such a powerful, poignant way to finish this story. His POV. Because when Lois died, Clark died too, in all ways but one, so it couldn't be through his eyes. We had to see that he *was* gone. See it, as a result, through someone else... And you've done this so brilliantly.

This was beautiful and of course got a little mecry out of me.

I think I have to go read it again now!

Great story!!

~NICOLE smile

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
You know, I'm a very difficult person to please when a story involves the death of major characters. It's hard to properly balance the angst, to keep it from becoming angst just to cause angst.

That being said, every once in a while, one sweeps me away--and yours did that. The reason for this was just what you said you set out to do: show how Clark would react if Lois were taken away from him by Justice, something he spent his life believing in.

A lot of people can bear death, but not so many can handle the shattering of their illusions at the hands of other human beings. I can totally believe that, were this scenario to happen to Clark, he would be unable to go on. And having Jimmy as a silent testimony to that fact made it ever more poignant.

You did a beautiful job writing it!

**~~**

Swoosh --->
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I have a headache right now (totally unrelated with this story, btw), so I apologize in advance if I don't make much sense.

I'm afraid I didn't read this story as carefully as I should (due to the aforementioned headache), so it didn't touch me very much, but I believe it was very nice, well-done and powerful. I don't mind well-done deathfic, and this one presented the opportunity for an exploration of Clark's inner world that was really interesting. I think that the way one would react to the other's death tells a lot about their relationship.

Also, I liked the part with Jimmy very much.

Keep up the good work,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Catherine, I'm speechless.

Well, that doesn't really bode well for any kind of feedback, does it? So I'll do my best here. (Also, I won't get into the pros and cons of death-fic here — that's reserved for the thread in the Fanfic Related folder).

Your writing is incredible. So evocative, so powerful. Your deconstruction of Clark's grief was stunning and raw and painful. And such a gift to read. (Angst masochist here, remember?)

And ending it from Jimmy's perspective was perfect. I loved it — it also echoes what he learned in "Metallo," when photographer ethics were brought into play. Like it or not, just as he did when Lucy Lane knelt by her dying boyfriend, Jimmy captured a moment of raw humanity when he took that picture of Clark cradling Lois' body.

Thanks for sharing this on the boards, and I hope to see more of your writing soon!

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Catherine

WOW, WOW, WOW! smile1 This is definitely on my Kerth list for next year.

Tricia cool

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
What a beautifully, dark story. I LOVED it. clap

I enjoy stories that force me to "feel"

I'm printing this baby out and keeping it in my Faves binder.

Bravo!!!

I recently wrote "Sweet Dreams" and it pales in comparison.

FinLi

Clark: "Can I have a rat chief? Can I, huh? Please?"

Perry: "Clark, do you want me to send you to the dark room?"

Clark: "The dark room?"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard