It was never enough.

All the strength and all the power in the world, and there was always someone he couldn't save.

He'd thought it would be better, once he'd put on the suit. He'd finally be able to do the things he'd always dreamed of; being able to save people without risking his own family.

Most of his adult life had been spent traveling; most of that time had been spent in the wilderness. He'd traveled through Africa and Asia. He'd spent time in big cities, but never for long, he'd always been afraid of being caught.

He hadn't realized that it never ended; people screaming for help, for someone to change their lives. It was a neverending battle simply to keep up with the unending tide.

And some of the things he saw... what men did to other men, to children...

He'd only been wearing the suit for a week, and he still wasn't sure what he was doing.

Clark didn't even know where he was right now. He'd left Metropolis after showing up too late for a fire. Now he was standing on a rooftop on top of yet another nondescript building.

At least the people here didn't call out for him by name.

He heard footsteps coming up the stairs. They were slow and plodding; clearly the steps of an older man.

Leaving would probably be for the best, but part of him didn't want to move. That would mean going back.

The door opened behind him.

“Oh, my,” he heard a soft voice say.

He glanced back, and saw a distinguished looking older man. He was strangely familiar, but Clark couldn't quite place him.

The man approached him. He was wearing a red cardigan.

“I've heard some stories about you,” he said. “Some of them are hard to believe.”

Clark levitated a little, then let himself drop back to the flat roof.

“I can do some things,” Clark said.

“It must be wonderful to fly,” the man said. He spoke slowly, with a soft voice. “I've heard that you've been helping people.”

“I wonder sometimes if I'm helping anyone, really.”

“It's not so much what we have in this life that matters,” the man said. “It's what we do with what we have. You don't have to have powers to make a difference in someone's life.”

“But I do have them,” Clark said. “And that's supposed to mean something.”

“You try, which is a commendable thing.”

“It's not enough,” Clark said. “There's always someone else; sometimes it feels like there's so many that I can't save anybody.”

“I think it's wonderful that you try,” the man said. “To shoulder a burden that most men can't understand.”

“It's like trying to stop the tide,” Clark said.

“I read a story once about a terrible storm that left thousands of starfish stranded on the beach, dying. A man found a little girl throwing them back into the ocean one by one.”

“Why are you doing this? He asked the girl. “You can't save all of these starfish.”

“The little girl threw another starfish into the sea and said, “Well, I made a difference to this one.”

“The man was inspired by this, and he began throwing starfish into the water. Others were inspired by them both, and eventually, with enough hands, they really were able to save them all.”

Clark frowned.

“There are ripples in every life,” the man said. “And we never really know how we touch people. The person you save may be inspired to become a paramedic, or a policeman, and he may save hundreds of people in a long career. Even if we only save one person, we've done the world a service.”

The man's voice was gentle, and he put his hand on Clark's shoulder.

“If you ever find yourself feeling sad, remember that overcoming pain helps us grow.”

Clark stared at the man.

He held out his hand.

“I'm Fred,” he said. “If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to come by. I work downstairs.”

Clark shook the man's hand, suddenly aware of who he was. He was embarrassed for not having recognized him earlier.

This was a good man; the kind of man he'd hoped to become himself one day.

“You don't have to have powers to be a hero,” Clark said.

“I think everyone has a hero inside him,” Fred said. He smiled gently. “They simply have to take that step to be a helper.”

“I'll try,” Clark said. He suddenly felt better. “And I might be back sometime.”

The man smiled again.

As Clark flew away, he felt lighter somehow.