Greetings from an old absentee member. (Ironically, I've written L&C several times in recent years for fanfic exchanges but none of it has ever gone here, just AO3. Perhaps someday that will be remedied.)

The title is perhaps a bit of a misnomer, as the groups are not closing entirely… they're just deleting ALL of the user-generated content. All messages, all files, all photos, all links uploaded will go poof! on December 14, and all groups will become invite-only. If you're already aware of this, excellent; I hope you've backed up any groups you're a member of! If not, read below.

Tumblr with updates on the various subprojects and general info
The posts here have some useful info with regards to how to backup groups, and how to get involved with the archival projects if you want.

The spreadsheet where specific group archival is coordinated
There's a long list of groups here which require approval to even see the messages (and some that don't, but that no one's taken an interest in yet). If admins are MIA, the groups' archival depends on current members - wherever they can be found.

This is where you come in! Please do the following:

- If you're a member of any Yahoo Groups, please backup your groups if possible. (I've already backed up both LCFic and LCFic2 as well as nfic, and a host of other L&C groups: theloisandclarkclub, loisandclarksloveshack, loisandclarkakasuperman, FoLCs, LoisandClark_SUW, LoisandClarkNAOS, thefolcsbunch, celebratingloisandclark, LCstoryfinder, deancainandterihatcher, foreverfolcs, Lois_and_Clark_Metropolis_Rp, clarkkent, loisandclarksfriendship, Lois_N_Clark_RGP, and LnCrpg3. lane-kent was nothing but spam so I left that alone.)

- If you're a member of Yahoo Groups but can't or don't want to back them up yourself, contact me privately and I can walk you through how to give me two cookies that will let me back up your groups (you'll still need to give me a list of the group names as well). I'm a woman of my word and will handle the data as requested.

- Repost or write your own post that summarizes this info, and put it in another fandom space you're in, whether it be Facebook, Tumblr, tweeting a link back to your own LJ or DW, etc.

L&C-related groups that need approval or a member!

afolcslife
LaneKent
everythingdeancain

If you're a member of any of those three, please contact me. You can find a list of all the groups I'm trying to get access to here.

EDIT: Should anyone visit this later and be curious - we (the Yahoo Groups Fandom Rescue Project) saved 200,000 fandom-related groups, including all of the L&C-related groups listed above (and more). Keep an eye on the Yahoo-Geddon Tumblr for updates regarding our progress in the post-processing (or come visit the Discord linked there). We also accept any groups you may have saved personally and would like to donate.

Last edited by Doranwen; 02/29/20 02:13 AM. Reason: added info about groups saved

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.