Next Thread
Print Thread
#285746 10/13/19 03:13 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Hey all, looks like the upgrade was successful! If there are any issues or any questions, just drop me an email via my gmail account

Thank you for your patience!

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
hyper Congrats!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Annette,

I've just noticed that there seems to be an issue with the encoding of characters outside the standard ASCII range, e.g. quotation marks in our stories: http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/283434#Post283434

I've tested with the latest Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, MS Edge and MS Edge on Windows Phone.

The network trace says "Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8" so this looks okay. Maybe there was a different content type in the old version? When I switch to "Western European (Windows)" aka Latin1 Windows code page 1252, it works.

Test string:
Test with “quotes”.

The test string appears to look okay, so maybe the old posts have different characters persisted in the database? The probably easiest thing for moving would be to patch the most-common characters in the database with their correct unicode equivalents. Otherwise, we have to stick to Latin-1 for the page for the foreseeable future.

wave Michael

Edit: okay just found an article for/by UBBThreads on this: https://www.ubbwiki.com/article/view/31/utf-8-vs-latin-1-iso-8859-1.html

Last edited by Darth Michael; 10/13/19 10:47 AM. Reason: Completed root cause analysis

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Annette,

another small thing: the banner link still points to http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php which no longer works in the new version. This should be a simple update to the banner link.

wave Michael

Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
My laptop crashed today and I'm just getting back into everything, give me some time and I will look into everything. I already have a ticket open for some admin stuff.

Last edited by amciotola; 10/13/19 08:30 PM.

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
On a positive note, the Keep Me Logged In box seems to actually work on IE now. smile

[Linked Image]

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ooooh, I just clicked the banner and it worked! I went straight back to the main page!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Ok, I've fixed those issues!! Thanks for letting me know.

Also, all back end issues have been fixed as support has responded to me.

Thanks for surviving The Great Boards Upgrade of 2019!!

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Annette,

thanks for switching the encoding back. There haven't been any new story parts posted in the meantime, so no trouble with new posts having the wrong encoding now. Everything is awesome! ... Huh? Oh, right. Not the Lego Movie. So... Everything is super!

wave Michael

Last edited by Darth Michael; 10/15/19 02:42 PM.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard