Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: amciotola Upgrade Successful!!! - 10/13/19 07:13 AM
Hey all, looks like the upgrade was successful! If there are any issues or any questions, just drop me an email via my gmail account

Thank you for your patience!
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: Upgrade Successful!!! - 10/13/19 07:19 AM
hyper Congrats!

wave Michael
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: Upgrade Successful!!! - 10/13/19 02:41 PM
Hi Annette,

I've just noticed that there seems to be an issue with the encoding of characters outside the standard ASCII range, e.g. quotation marks in our stories: http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/283434#Post283434

I've tested with the latest Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, MS Edge and MS Edge on Windows Phone.

The network trace says "Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8" so this looks okay. Maybe there was a different content type in the old version? When I switch to "Western European (Windows)" aka Latin1 Windows code page 1252, it works.

Test string:
Test with “quotes”.

The test string appears to look okay, so maybe the old posts have different characters persisted in the database? The probably easiest thing for moving would be to patch the most-common characters in the database with their correct unicode equivalents. Otherwise, we have to stick to Latin-1 for the page for the foreseeable future.

wave Michael

Edit: okay just found an article for/by UBBThreads on this: https://www.ubbwiki.com/article/view/31/utf-8-vs-latin-1-iso-8859-1.html
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: Upgrade Successful!!! - 10/13/19 02:45 PM
Hi Annette,

another small thing: the banner link still points to http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php which no longer works in the new version. This should be a simple update to the banner link.

wave Michael
Posted By: amciotola Re: Upgrade Successful!!! - 10/14/19 12:28 AM
My laptop crashed today and I'm just getting back into everything, give me some time and I will look into everything. I already have a ticket open for some admin stuff.
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: Upgrade Successful!!! - 10/14/19 01:03 AM
On a positive note, the Keep Me Logged In box seems to actually work on IE now. smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: Upgrade Successful!!! - 10/14/19 01:05 AM
Ooooh, I just clicked the banner and it worked! I went straight back to the main page!
Posted By: amciotola Re: Upgrade Successful!!! - 10/14/19 01:40 AM
Ok, I've fixed those issues!! Thanks for letting me know.

Also, all back end issues have been fixed as support has responded to me.

Thanks for surviving The Great Boards Upgrade of 2019!!
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: Upgrade Successful!!! - 10/15/19 06:42 PM
Hi Annette,

thanks for switching the encoding back. There haven't been any new story parts posted in the meantime, so no trouble with new posts having the wrong encoding now. Everything is awesome! ... Huh? Oh, right. Not the Lego Movie. So... Everything is super!

wave Michael
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards