Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Hope y'all like this one. No betas (how risky is that?) on this offering. If you've already read the story post, you know that there are deaths in this tale, some fairly gory - it is, after all, a werewolf story.

There is also a surprise which comes in early and might be considered a WHAM by some, even though I don't think it is. I just wanted everyone to be ready for some real tension and some real tooth and claw action.

The genesis of this tale came to me in 2010 as "The Vampires of Metropolis." I changed it because I couldn't figure out how to reverse the vampire transformation, and because I wanted one of the main characters to be "infected" and play a major part in the climax. So the mythic characters became werewolves.

I promise to put the toys back in the box with a minimum of wear and tear. No one goes through the things we fanfic writers throw at Lois and Clark without their adventures affecting the characters.

I'll be waiting...

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hello Terry,

Wow wow wow. shock
It promises to be one hell of a story!! You are a fabulous storyteller.

These two people in the Prologue jump off the page and are wonderfully alive (no pun intended).
The tension hooks the reader from the star, your style is crisp and gripping, and it’s so evocative that one really sees it as if on TV…

And this is perhaps why I won’t be able to continue to read this fic. It isn’t for the faint of heart.
I’m not sure I have the stomach for this sort of fic, because it’s—well, SO vivid. I’ll keep on reading the next chapter, though. However, as I’m a poor little thing, I fear your latest masterpiece isn’t for the likes of me.

All the best,
Mille

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey Terry,

wave

So many twists in just a prologue I'm afraid to see where this is headed. You have quite the collection of OCs which given the detail you gave I can only assume are all important to your plot. Looking forward to the next part. smile

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Huh.

The feedback post and the story post each have a hundred views. But only two actual feedback posts? Am I doing something wrong? Is the subject matter too much?

Given that the series dealt with druids, voodoo, ghosts, psychics, both onscreen and offscreen deaths, lots of murderers ("There'll always be another headless body, Lois."), and other pretty heavy stuff, I figured the subject of the story - werewolves - would be okay. Maybe I'm wrong. I would appreciate some responses to this question. Really. No sarcasm intended or implied.

Anyway, to answer feedback:

Mille, thanks for the comment. I hope you'll continue. I know I don't write like you do, with your beautiful, almost dreamy atmosphere, but I like to think I can turn the occasional phrase. You're correct when you say this may not be for the faint of heart, but I have included some WAFFy scenes (because, let's face it, that's the goal on these boards - romance!) for the tender-hearted readers like myself.

There is one scene later on that is fairly graphic, although I don't think it's as icky as the prologue. The readers will have to make that determination.

Folc4, thank you. These original characters are intended to make an impression, and it looks as if I succeeded in that endeavor. I hope you like the next chapter - it's a bit softer than the first.

Speaking of the next chapter, I will post it as soon as the boards' flood protection will let me.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Terry, never doubt for a moment that you are an awesome writer!

Even before I joined the Boards, I read fics in the archives and adored your stories. You do have a way with words, creating another reality with engaging, enthralling and thoughts-challenging plots; and a punchy and evocative style worthy of a professional.

I’ve read and re-read many of your stories along the years and the repeat doesn’t dispel their impact. The Cold Shoulder was a fab, chilling what-if, as unsettling as The End of an Era; The Green, Green Haunting of Home was a fabulous character study (your Martha Kent rocks!); I know a secret was another great insight into Rachel Harris’s mind and heart (I adored your take on her); The Maysonry of Life and Rebuilding Superman are in my Top Twenty Favorites (harsh and difficult fics, but gems all the same. You changed my entire perception of Cat Grant: the canon character has become an extension of your Cat. And Clark’s new pen name still has me giggling.); etc.

So, no, your writing isn’t the reason of my wariness for your last endeavor. Don’t think that.
I know our writing styles are far apart, and I enjoy it. It would be a sad world if everyone used the same shades and paintbrushes: I don’t know about the “dreamy atmosphere” of my stories, just that I would love to be able to use words as you do. Alas, lack of talent and English being my second language prevent it. (I don’t even use English daily; I just read a lot of it, and also write English in my spare time.)

Regarding your fic, the truth be said, I’m squeamish. Really. I hide beneath the covers when there is a horror movie on TV; I clutch my husband’s hand when the hero is in danger and I sometimes browse the end of whodunnit novels to be sure that the heroine will come out of it unscathed. So... Werewolves tearing people apart might be a little too much for me. Blame it on your very vivid style and talent: if you were less skilful at evoking images, it would be less frightening. So I blame your talent on this one.

I do plan to read your fic. I want to read your fic. The thing is, I’m just not sure I’ll be able to.

As a matter of fact, werewolves don’t stick out among the ghosts, druids, voodoo and all from the original series. However, it had a comic book quality and light-hearted stylization which insured that the toys would come back into the box: Lois, Clark and Superman could not be harmed permanently and the audience was guaranteed a happy ending of sort. With your fics, one is never quite sure, and again, your writing gives a much more “realist” feel than the series ever did.

Well, that said, I’m about to read the first chapter. FDK will follow. That’s a promise! (As for the general lack of FDK, I’m told that’s a problem in all fandoms. Besides, September is always a busy time of the year.)

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm eager and excited to see where you're taking us with this story, I just have some personal stuff going on that's kind of jammed up my communication circuits lately.

Please have no doubt about my enthusiasm, several of those views were me going back to re-read your prologue smile

"HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE." -Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Ooh, more feedbacks! Cool!

Mille, thank you so much for your effusive praise. You wrote:

It would be a sad world if everyone used the same shades and paintbrushes

and I could not agree more. I've often written that there is plenty of room in this big sandbox for all writers. I'm both surprised and pleased that you liked "The Cold Shoulder." That one stirred up some controversy in the feedback and in my PM inbox. Cat is a fun character to play with - and after this story, I have an epic in Beta stage where Cat Grant is one of the main characters.

I never thought you were being critical in your first post. The thought literally never crossed my mind. You were just telling me about yourself and your sensibilities, and that's perfectly appropriate.

I know that lack of feedback is a characteristic of most (if not all) fandoms. Some FoLCs, even, don't believe their comments are worthy enough for others to view. And that's just not so. I invite anyone who is interested in any of my stories to let me know what you thought about it, even if you didn't like it. The only way I'm going to get better is if I learn what I'm doing that can be improved. Believe me, I listen to my betas, even if some of them may not have thought so!

Not many people like September just on general principles. School starts again along with all its associated activities, cooler weather threatens and hot weather tries to hang on so you dress in layers and either swelter or freeze, school zones slow traffic, and Winter Is Coming! (but the next GoT book isn't, not yet).

I understand about the horror movies. I don't watch them either, because the goal of the horror movie maker is to terrify the watchers. The goal of this tale is to show our favorite couple's growth and resilience as they face and defeat yet another threat to public safety and to their own lives. I just can't write a comic-book story. My muses go on strike if I do. And the prologue is probably the ickiest part of the story, except maybe for a part toward the end that's kind of graphic. Some of that gruesomeness is told from the POV of a werewolf, so it's naturally a "read through your fingers" section.

Given that you liked (?) some of my other gritty tales, you might want to sample She's on the message boards. If you do, please also read the feedback it generated. It's eye-opening.

Endelda, I understand completely about personal stuff. Seems like I smash into it about every couple of days. I wish I had a couple of extra days on the weekend, too. But thanks so much for your kind words. I hope you can shake loose enough to keep up with this sneaky beast.

Next chapter's already up. I'm going to try to post weekly - that way we'll be in the thick of the action around Halloween.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard