Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Hi,

What's your verdict on life back in Metropolis?

Yours Jenni

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hooray, waffy stuff! Nice job all around. Very believable reactions and interactions from all of the characters.

Personally I usually prefer to see the second generation developing super powers at the same age or later than Clark, rather than earlier. I'm willing to suspend my predjudice here because you've used it to such good effect to introduce a genuine feeling of life and hope into this chapter.

Keep up the good work.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. thumbsup

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great part. This chapter got me high and low, high and low... [Linked Image]

For the first time since Clark's death four years ago,
FOUR years!!!! help Luck my heart is healthy. laugh PLEEEEEASEEEEE! Let Clark get home or somebody find him! [Linked Image]

Andreia (hoping against hope that next chapter Jenni will get Clark home) peep

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Jenni,

First of all, you know what I think of this story--it's great! laugh I would, however like to read past what you've sent me. Please, Jenni, post more soon.

Laura

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Jenni, would you believe that as I had composed my reply to this part of your story and was trying to post it, my internet access gave out on me?

This was, more or less, what I was trying to say. Yes, I loved this chapter. Above all, I was totally gripped and riveted by your description of Lois's reaction as a mother to her special, unique son. Her insecurity and sadness, her feeling of inadequacy, of being shut out. Her pride in her son, and then her horror at learning that he, too, wanted to be a superhero. At sixteen, and after having seen his father disappear, and probably die, because of his superpowers. Now her sixteen-year-old son wanted to lay himself bare to the same threats and dangers that had claimed his father... and Lois's shock, denial and refusal at learning this. Her mulishness, and the way she pushed her son away in order to keep him with her. And, finally, her courage and love in finding it in herself to support him. It was gripping, riveting and totally, heartbreakingly poignant.

And I loved the way you made Perry such an absolutely natural part of Lois's family. And I loved the way Jonathan and Martha Kent managed to support their grandson and their daughter-in-law at the same time. Actually, Jenni, in the midst of all the sorrow of your story, this was, once again, such a heartwarming part of it.

Your story is wonderful and lovely, and I so look forward to the next part of it.

Ann

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Jenni, this was such a great part! I really especially loved the Perry/Lois conversation! There were so many fantastic moments during their talk that just got me all choked up!
“I'm sorry, darlin'. The rescue action just had Superman's MO written all over it, but you'd have told me if he were back....”

“Yes, I would!” Now it was Lois' turn to feel betrayed. “Apart from the family, you'd have been the first to know if that were true. You are family! And I wouldn't have had to tell you that. Do you really think I'd be in here, trawling through these stories with some pretty adventurous reporting styles, if Clark had come home?” She let some of the said papers drift through her fingers.

Perry had the grace to look embarrassed. “No, kiddo, I guess not.” The two stood in silence, Lois close to tears, and Perry wondering how he'd ever made such a bad judgment call.
You feel so bad for both of them. Perry was absolutely not trying to hurt Lois, he would never do that, but he, too, has hope his friend will return. He can't help but have hope, too. And you show here so perfectly how that - his hope - has the ability to hurt Lois, because she's trying to just give up on that and move on.

Wait a minute, Lois, that could be it. Clark's home, but he has amnesia. He couldn't use telepathy cause he's forgotten how... and he's forgotten who to contact.”

For an infinitesimal moment, Lois' spirits soared, but only to come crashing down. “I doubt that's it.”

“But he's suffered from amnesia before. Like after Nightfall... though I guess I never knew he was Superman back then. But if he was affected that way once, perhaps that's the problem now.”

Lois contemplated that scenario for long seconds while her mind and body reached outwards... but still the channel was silent. She sat down heavily in her chair once more and, placing her elbows on the table, she dropped her head into her hands.

Perry waited.

“He's not there, Chief.
thumbsup

And this is a fantastic moment:

“I guess you're right, Lois, and I'm just an old fool, coming blundering in here and reminding you of your loss. If Superman had made that rescue, he'd be in the suit... letting everyone know he's back on the job, not skulking around in the shadows. That wasn't his style.”

There was total silence for long seconds as Perry ran his hand through his thinning hair, unaware that Lois' head had snapped up at his words.

“But it was, Chief. In the beginning, before he invented Superman, that was the way Clark worked. When he traveled the world, he'd sneak in a rescue here and there and then move on when he thought people were getting suspicious of him....”

That caught Perry's attention and he returned her gaze. “Wait a minute, are you saying this could be Clark?”

Again Lois paused, thinking. Finally, she shook her head sadly. “No, not Clark. But I think I might know who rescued those children....”
And this conversation is great, too -
“Did I do right, Grandpa?” Matthew asked nervously, standing in front of the fire. He'd planned to make an announcement, but now that he was facing a family conference, he wasn't feeling quite so confident of his choices.

The older man nodded sagely. “The children are safe, aren't they? I'd say you did it just right.”

“I tried to imagine how Dad would have done it....”

“Your dad's a good role model, son,” Perry joined the conversation, his gruff voice betraying concern. “But he did it in a colorful suit and not as a shadowy guardian angel in civilian clothes. There were a whole parcel of media people round that rescue site, many of whom know your mom and some might even know you. If any one of them had recognized you, the family secret would be out.”
I love how real this family "conference" feels. You write this stuff wonderfully smile

And I got chills at this line...
“Clark was too often in the right place at the right time and that's what worried you so much.” Martha nodded in agreement. “You were always sure he'd be taken away from us and dissected, even though he was invulnerable....”

A strangled sob escaped from Lois. “But that's just it! Don't you all see it? Clark was never totally invincible. We wouldn't be having this conversation if he was.” She stood quickly, her body stiff with tension.
My heart breaks for Lois and her clear pain mecry

Jenni you have to fix this! ASAP!

(in case you can't tell, I am enjoying this!!!)

Nicole smile

Okay... one more:
“You'll be a wonderful superhero, sweetie,” Martha said, smiling proudly at her beloved grandson. “You have the most important requirement for all superheros... a caring heart. Everything else you can learn.”
Gotta love Martha!!! smile smile

Columnist
Columnist
I just loved this part. I thought Lois' initial reaction was perfect. I mean, why would she want to lose her son the same way she lost her husband? It is totally understandable why she would be so adamantly against what he wanted to do. And totally understandable that she would eventually realize that she had to support him because he wasn't going to change his mind.

I like that he doesn't want a 'nerdy name' like Superboy...but what are you going to call him?

And the bit about Perry possibly telling tales of Elvis to the archangels was just too cute.

Keep it up.

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
M
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
M
Hello all! This is my very first post on this board!

So, I read Chapters 1-7 last night and then couldn't sleep properly at all! I dreamt about Clark trying to fly and crashing, regenerating fingers that fell off, and having to deal with embarrassing lovemaking problems with Lois! It was terrible! But all it means is that I'm hooked on this tragic story. I can't wait for the next chapter!

Anyway, I agree with Andreia and Onaiela (sp? sorry about that!) I have a bias about Clark's kids getting their powers when he did, too. I hadn't realized how biased I was on a lot of things until I realized how hard a time I'm having dealing with this story! I'm such a cream puff, I want the bad things that happen to be reversible or, I don't know, gentler. But this FOUR YEAR stretch almost made me cry last night. Literally! Clark's kids are completely different people now! Everybody's moving on with their gymnastics and their superhero names. I think that's what hurts the most: all the lost years that Clark's been wandering (Again! Poor baby!) PLUS the stolen years they took from his memory. I mean, seriously. The General has hurt Clark worse than any other villain I've read about so far. God! It's just so painful and unfair!

I do give props to the author though b/c this is a HUGE WHAM piece, so it takes guts to put it out there. And I don't think Clark's ever been this seriously hurt in such a long piece before, both physically and emotionally. Gosh, those missing years are still plaguing me...Anyway, excellent job! I am hooked and awaiting Chapter 8 with much anticipation!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi, MaraElaineKent! smile1

Have lots of fun! wink
Hey, Jenni, where is chapter 8? wildguy wildguy wildguy

Andreia smile

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Hi,

Again I'd like to thank readers for continuing with this story even if it is a painful read.

For those who believe that the next generation of Kryptonian/Earthling's powers should kick in around the same time as Clark's, I do agree in part.

However, we were told that Clark started getting stronger when he was around thirteen, so Matt is past that age. I'm not sure, but flying might be the only other power where a starting age was mentioned. I believe Clark was eighteen when he first flew, though I think he might have floated before this age.

I could be wrong about this because I've been reading fanfiction for so long and the floating detail might have originated in stories.

I've gone with the premise that Matt has learned to fly earlier simply because he knew it was possible. Lois and his grandparents would have told him stories of his father, so he might have been encouraged to attempt to fly when he was younger. I hope you'll forgive my writer's prerogative in this. smile

Might I just add welcome to the MBs, MaraElaine, and thank you for sending your first fdk to The Forgotten. I apologise for your sleepless night! I hope I don't disappoint you with the rest of this story. I post a new chapter every Friday.

Once again, thanks to all who are taking time to comment on my story. I'm sorry it's more angst ridden than my normal fare, but it was an idea that formed in my mind and wouldn't go away.

Yours Jenni

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard