Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#282701 11/26/18 11:02 PM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I've always so loved the fact that Clark was ready and willing to confess his Secret the morning after their big moment and determination to 'take the next step.' And I've always been surprised that there aren't fanfics about this what if (that I've found anyway, though if there are some, please feel free to recommend them to me, because I'd love to read them!). It was a lot of fun to get to explore this possible moment if Jason Mazik had just minded his own business that morning.

Also, I find the revelation scenes to be HARD. It's difficult to bring something new to them that hasn't already been done brilliantly before by someone else, so I hope I didn't step on anyone else's toes! I know I'm not the greatest at the big Revelation moments, but hopefully this at least brought on some nostalgia!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OMG! You know, it really isn't fair how awesome you are with weaving words together. goofy

Really beautifully written. I love how open and earnest Clark is, and, like you, I love how ready Clark is to tell Lois his secret that morning. This is such a nice take on what could have happened. And it's both heartbreaking in ways to see Clark so afraid of how his confession could possibly break them. And it's also so refreshing to see Lois rationally thinking things over and not going into full on "be mad at Clark" mode.

I LOVE all the references to his reaction to her touch, particularly when she sees him as a flower turning to her sunlight. It's such an apt metaphor.

Well done!

More please!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
“So I’m sorry that I didn’t tell you earlier, when I’ve known for so long. But I love you, Clark Kent. I love you when you’re an ordinary man who’s a sore loser at Scrabble. I love you when you’re a hero flying above the world. I love whoever you are when you’re not quite either one. I love--”

He kisses her. He enfolds her and envelops her and encases her in his love (Clark Kent’s unbending devotion and Superman’s gentle steadfastness).

That's the best way to keep Lois from babbling! So many nuances to their rather complex relationship is presented in this short story ... perfection.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Love this!!

“I wanted you to love me, all right? I know it’s selfish, and I know I don’t have an excuse for it, and I lied to you, but, Lois, I just…I just needed to know that you loved me. Not the superhero, not the legend around him that you created, but…me. Me in every moment. The me who works beside you and writes with you and goes home with you and wins every game of Scrabble with you because you cheat. I wanted it to be Lois and Clark, not Superman and Lois. And I’m sorry, but…I wanted that. I needed that.”

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
All I can say is that I wish I were a tenth the author you are. You paint such vivid pictures with your words -- both of the external actions and of the internal states of the characters.

I always know that when I see a new Anti-K story posted, I am in for a treat.

Brava!

Joy,
Lynn

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh how I love your writing style. Again, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. This time however, real people kept interrupting me while I read it. Even so, I was able to jump right back in and keep reading. I loved it!

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Thank you so much, everyone, for all the encouraging words on this story! You don't know how much it means to me, really, so thank you. sloppy

DC, you are such a great writer yourself that I think the talent was spread out fairly enough! goofy Clark's willingness to confess at the beginning of this episode is one of my favorite things, and yes, I can't imagine how scared he would have been -- I mean, even just asking her out had him gulping and nervous, so revealing everything would have been even worse on the poor Man of Steel's nerves! Anyway, yes, by this point, I like to think Lois has matured and grown enough to be worthy of the relationship he's offering. And his reactions to her touch always entrance me in the show, so I'm glad that came across here!

You're right, Morgana -- Clark did find the best way of silencing Lois Lane. Temporarily, anyway. smile Thank you!

Thanks, scifiJoan!

Aww, thanks for such a fabulous compliment, Lynn! You have no worries at all on the writing front, trust me, and I'm always glad when I see a story from you (and have time to read it, peep one of these days I'll catch up, really).

Sorry for the RL interruptions, Julie, but I'm glad you made it through -- and what a relief to know it flows well even piecemeal! Thanks for the lovely comment!

J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
I’ve always wished Clark had gone through with telling her his secret that morning. This was perfect!

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Hi, Anti-K! I know I'm late to the party, but I really enjoyed this story. This section got to me the most:

“You know how…how I’m always ducking away with lame excuses? There is a reason for that, a good one. You see, I’m…I’m…”

She stares straight ahead. Her heart will puncture against the sharpness of her breastbone if she moves. Her lungs will deflate and wither and disintegrate if she meets his eyes. So she stares straight ahead and says nothing and lets their relationship die around them.

Clark clears his throat and tries again. This time, he actually finishes his sentence.

“I’m Superman.”

I've read dozens and dozens of reveal fics, but this one hit me differently. I'm not sure what it is about how you wrote it, maybe it was the way we were inside Lois' head the entire time and could see the type of thing she was expecting him to say, but this is the first time that "I'm Superman" has felt like so much of a non-sequitur. It really hit me how out-of-the-blue that confession really is.

Lois is thinking through all the things he's saying and doing through the lens of her personal history, and of course when he is that nervous and saying that what he has to say might break them up, she thinks the worst. When Clark points out how he's always ditching her, it's the perfect opening for him to admit to cheating on her. Often I find Lois' bad reactions to be a bit over the top in fics, but you built up the conversation in a believable way such that him admitting to cheating is the most reasonable thing for Lois to expect, even though she wouldn't have suspected him of it before.

After all that buildup, Clark saying, "I'm Superman" hit me like a punch in the gut, even though I was expecting it, because you were able to convey just how unexpected that is to Lois.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard