Previously - Chapter 23

Part 4 – “…but in rising every time we fall.” - Confucius

Chapter 24

Clark wasn’t sure if the warm front hadn’t made it this far east or if it was the increase in latitude that accounted for the cooler temperatures, but the weather changed quickly as he and Scott made their way from the airport to a small diner in the small town near the chateau a few hours north of Metropolis. Cirrus clouds obscured the sky when they landed in Metropolis just before dinner, but now the clouds had thickened and the temperature had dropped significantly since then. Clark tried not to let the ominous weather bring him down.

Clark had “remembered” another fragment during the long car ride. Scott was able to confirm that the story about the Messenger and Dr. Platt had gone differently than he’d known for the past two years – no, two months. And while it was nice to have realized the main thing that had been plaguing him this whole time wasn’t real, his guilt was still there and was further fueled knowing that somehow, he’d been tricked into this whole mess.

Now they sat, quietly eating a meal before heading to the chateau, Clark still with his headphones on. Scott had suggested they wait until the middle of the night since Lex was expecting them to arrive before the end of the day. Scott was familiar with the layout of the house, including the countless secret passages, but having the element of surprise, however small, would help. And they needed all the help they could get.

And now the purple dusk of twilight time
Steals across the meadows of my heart
High up in the sky the little stars climb
Always reminding me that we're apart

At first, Clark didn’t mind listening to the Nat King Cole songs. They were catchy, feel good songs. Even the depressing songs made you feel good inside. Now, they were starting to run together, and he couldn’t remember whether he’d heard them before or not.

Clark shoveled another spoonful of the cheese soup he ordered into his mouth. He wasn’t even hungry, but Scott insisted they get some nourishment. Scott was also still insisting that Clark was Superman, but with his powers somehow disabled. It was too difficult to keep from rolling his eyes during that part of the conversation. But the soup was good, and their wait was almost over. Shortly, they would make their way to the house where Lois was held captive.

He picked up another spoonful of soup but was stopped by the beginning of the next song.

A blossom fell from off a tree

This time when his vision began to cloud and his stomach to turn, he recognized what was happening.

It settled softly on the lips you turned to me

Each time it had been the same and now he relished the idea that he might understand more, even if just a smidgeon of the truth. Thankful to be sitting, Clark dropped his spoon back into the bowl and leaned his head onto his tented hands.

###

May 26, 1995

Clark heard a delighted breath escape Lois as they peeked through the mist. Up here, they were surrounded only by the stars in the sky and the clouds beneath. He watched her as she looked around, her eyes wide and her mouth slightly open, taking it all in. She held tightly to him, one arm around his chest, the other over his shoulder, and he relished the feel of her. Another breath and he realized something. “You cold?” he asked.

She looked up to his face. “A little,” she said, her eyes dancing.

“Here.” He reached behind him with his free arm to grab at the edge of his cape and draped it around her, then he did the same with his other arm. With this, she was neatly cocooned, pressed closely against him.

She looked up at the stars, more that she’d ever seen, he was sure. The look on her face was one of awe and he appreciated that he was the one to share it with her. “It’s so beautiful,” she breathed.

“I used to come up here a lot by myself,” he explained, “and just … drift. Not part of the stars, not part of the earth, not really knowing where I fit in.” He met her eyes then, their faces inches apart. “Until I met you.”

“Oh, Clark,” she said, moved by what he’d said.

“Lois,” he cut in before she could say another word, “I’ll wait for you.” And he knew he would. Forever if he had to. He looked intently into her eyes wanting her to see the honesty in his words. “I’ll wait for you as long as you need.”

Not once did she look away and it meant the world to him for her to look at him as if he, Clark, was the only one that mattered.

“I want you to know I love you,” she said, making his heart flip in his chest. “And you’re not alone anymore.”

His body tingled at the freedom he now felt to express himself to her. All of him, no more hiding. He moved slowly, closing in on her lips and his eyes flicked to hers. He saw the relief, desire, love that he felt mirrored in them. She came to meet him, and when their lips finally touched, he knew his wait would not be as long as he originally thought.

###

He raised his head and stretched his hands out in front of him before bringing them back to rest on the top of his head with his fingers interlocked.

“Clark?” he heard Scott say.

Clark nodded and said, “Give me a minute.” He was having a hard time believing what he was imagining … Remembering? He could feel her in his arms, pressed up against him. She said she loved him. Moreover, they seemed to be in the clouds. And was he wearing a cape?

“Well,” he started, “That one makes your claim that I’m …” he looked around and mouthed the word Superman, “seem more … possible.”

“That’s great!” Scott’s barely contained excitement made his voice a little loud, but when Clark looked around the diner, no one else seemed to notice.

“I think I was flying,” he explained, “with Lois.” Clark would be glad when this was all over and he could stop feeling a tad crazy. “You sure you have no idea how to restore ‘my powers’?” Clark asked making air-quotes with his fingers, still unable to take it too seriously. Even if he was Superman, it wouldn’t help them much if he didn’t have any powers.

“No,” he said, “but I wish I did.” Scott paused to take a sip of his drink. “You know, it’s okay if you don’t want to do this. I can rustle up some guys who can help me get her out of there instead.”

“If it’s me he wants,” Clark said solemnly, “it’s me he’ll get.” He didn’t really understand why he felt like this was something he had to do. Originally, he chalked it up to having nothing to lose, but after considering the few memories he’d had, he was beginning to believe there was something else pulling him there.

Scott simply nodded. “Don’t worry, once we get Lois out of that house, I’m sure she’ll be able to figure it out.”

“Why would you say that?” Clark asked in disbelief.

“Because even though I only really knew her for a couple of months, I know she is probably the most brilliant investigative reporter on the planet…” His words faded and his face fell slightly. “Well, when she is aware there is a problem,” he finished.

Clark huffed.

“Sorry we didn’t have enough time to get you through all the songs.”

“Sorry my brain was so hard to wipe.”

Scott laughed at that one, but then his face turned serious. “Look, Hightower doesn’t know we’re on to his keys. If Lex had him reset Lois, the same key might work.”

“So, I have to sing to her if she doesn’t remember anything?” Scott had no idea what he was asking of Clark, no way of knowing just how bad of an idea that was.

“Yeah, it was ‘Paper Moon’ that worked the first –”

“Do I have to sing it?” Clark interrupted, thrusting his hand forward, with a look directed at Scott that he hoped got across just how necessary it was for him to not sing.

Scott stared at him with raised eyebrows for a moment before answering with a smile teasing its way out. “I don’t know, really. You could try just saying the words and see if that works.” He shrugged, and Clark tried to ignore the grin that wasn’t as hidden as he would have liked.

“Can we go now?” Clark asked when Scott was no longer able to suppress his chuckling. With a quick shove backward, Clark stood up and made his way for the door, thankful that Scott would be waiting outside while he went in to find Lois.

January 24, 1996

Clark Kent was just a blip in her past, someone who came in from nowhere, made a horrible mistake, and then left as quickly as he’d arrived, leaving her career in ruins. Luckily, Lex had been present during the aftermath and helped Lois secure her new job at LNN. Now, she only remembered her anger at his inexperience and what it cost her, but hardly anything else about him.

Everything had seemed so fine and perfect. Why was this happening now? Of course, according to Lex, it wasn’t just happening now. She was merely unaware of the situation because he had kept it hidden from her, preferring to take care of it himself instead of giving her cause to worry. Lex painted Clark as an obsessed stalker purposely attempting to make her life more difficult. Apparently, Clark had been following Lois for years and Lex had thwarted many attempts of his to do something to her.

She was conflicted. On the one hand, it is nice to have a knight in shining armor to swoop in and take care of you. Lex’s sincerity and protectiveness were endearing, and she was glad she had someone like him on her side. On the other, Lois was perfectly capable of fighting her own battles. How had Lex been able to keep this from her for so long? She didn’t understand any of this and it made her angry.

When he finally confessed what he had heard, she couldn’t believe it. Somehow, Clark came to believe she was in danger and began trying to rescue her. When Lois asked why Lex didn’t call the police, he explained that he did, but they weren’t able to do anything without evidence of a threat. Lex felt his only choice was to do something himself and do what was necessary to steer Clark in the right direction.

Lex was adamant that her help in the matter was necessary. By playing along with the charade, she would be able to convince Clark to follow her so that Lex could confront him and end this behavior. He was unsure what time Clark would come for her, but he was certain it would be tonight. After Lex told her that Clark only wanted to take her from him, that she would be perfectly safe, some of her nerves calmed down. She was not terribly worried; being in danger was something she was somewhat used to. And Lois trusted his plan.

Lex had left her alone in the guest suite in the basement of the house after taking her wedding rings for safe keeping. This is where Lex would “keep” her until Clark arrived to “free” her. It was more like a small apartment than suite, complete with a kitchenette. The lack of windows made it difficult to keep track of time and the waiting became excruciatingly boring. Not that being anywhere else in the house would help – it was the middle of the night after all.

As soon as she was alone, she made herself comfortable, adjusting the lighting and tossing her shoes aside. The thunk of her shoes on the floor reminded her that she had napkin she’d found in one of them earlier that day shoved in her back pocket. She retrieved it and carefully unfolded the note.

She sat down on the edge of the bed to read it. It was a note to Lois…from Lois. But the message didn’t make any sense.

Lois,
It is only a paper moon, hanging over a cardboard scene. It’s a lot of make-believe, even if you can’t believe me. Nat King Cole can help you figure it out.
Lois

The short missive was written in her familiar yet haphazard handwriting that she used when she realized something or discovered something for a story and was in a hurry to write it down. But this cryptic message was unusual, and she had no memory of writing it let alone sticking it in her shoe. Had she been worried someone might find it? Shaking her head at it, she folded the napkin and deposited it back in her pocket as she went about the room looking for something to keep her busy.

Having been “locked in” for only thirty minutes or so, she’d already passed the time alphabetizing the books on the small bookshelf, reorganizing the dishes in the kitchenette, and playing a few games of solitaire with a deck of cards. There was still a large desk in the sitting area she could clean out and organize. Maybe one of the floor-to-ceiling cabinets along the far wall housed a television and she could watch something.

Choosing to investigate the cabinets, she first opened all the doors to see what was inside. Most of the doors revealed nothing, but there was a very small television connected to a VCR in one and a small AM/FM radio in another. The radio was unable to receive any signals in the basement and the only video tape Lois found was titled ‘Very Silly Kid Songs’, and so silence remained.

Lois then looked in all the drawers. Linens and old decorations filled a few of the drawers, but most remained empty. Curious, Lois continued to look through every other piece of furniture that might house something. Many of the drawers and cabinets she looked in were empty, but a few held more linens and one held several old magazines.

A weary sigh escaped her as she grabbed a few copies of Inside Metropolis in hopes that reading could help the time pass more quickly. Propping her legs up over the armrest of the chair she chose in the sitting area, she began flipping through the old magazine dated November 1993. The first few articles were about some of the lesser known local businesses downtown, displaying the services they offered and discussing what made them unique.

Flipping to the next page, Lois felt the blood drain from her face and a queasiness settle in her stomach as an odd sense of foreboding wrapped itself around her. There, staring at her from the middle of the two-page spread was a picture of her and Clark Kent. The Daily Planet sign from the wall of the newsroom served as the background. Lois sat with her legs crossed in a chair just in front of Clark who was perched on a desk. Lois’s arm was propped on his knee and they smiled at the camera, her smile no-nonsense and his charming.

“Inside with Lane and Kent: The Hottest Team in Town,” she read the headline out loud. She skimmed the article that was actually three pages. It detailed how long they’d been working together, highlighted some of their stories, and included the script of a short interview. It was too weird. “What kind of sick joke is this?”

The words of the missive materialized in her thoughts at just that moment. It’s a lot of make believe. Something wasn’t right, but what?

She was about to read through the article more carefully when she heard something in the hall. Quickly tearing the article out and shoving it in her pocket, then stuffing the magazine under the seat cushion, she stood and looked toward the door.

Comments go here!

Continue reading - Chapter 25

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.