Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#284868 06/17/19 07:59 AM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
This story is in the Rubber Duckie (formerly Counting Blessings) Universe and is a companion piece to We're All Alone.

Story is here.

Thanks for reading and leaving a comment! hyper

Last edited by cuidadora; 07/28/19 10:04 PM.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This was awesome! I love this song. It always gets me all weepy.

[Linked Image]

Great job! I loved that you played with the lyrics of the song along with the travel through time to see the different influential fathers in Clark's life.

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
Kerth
Kerth
Val, share the dang tissues.

Oh my goodness. This was so heartwarming and heartbreaking all in one swoop. Very well done, expertly written, and you weaved the song throughout so nicely. I probably have more to say about it but I'm like too emotional right now.

Oh, but I did like your explanation behind CJ and poor other Clark's tragic backstory.

clap Great job!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by folc4evernaday
[Linked Image]

This was awesome! I love this song. It always gets me all weepy.

[Linked Image]

Great job! I loved that you played with the lyrics of the song along with the travel through time to see the different influential fathers in Clark's life.

Thanks, Val. This song also always makes me cry. After reading your comments, I added a tissue alert and spoiler.

Clark was indeed blessed with good fathers in his life. And I'm so glad that the show had Martha and Jonathan as important parts of his life. I'm delighted you appreciated it. hyper

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by Mouserocks
Val, share the dang tissues.

Oh my goodness. This was so heartwarming and heartbreaking all in one swoop. Very well done, expertly written, and you weaved the song throughout so nicely. I probably have more to say about it but I'm like too emotional right now.

Oh, but I did like your explanation behind CJ and poor other Clark's tragic backstory.

clap Great job!

Thanks, Mouserocks. I did add a tissue alert to the story, so hopefully that will help others.

I'm glad you liked the backstory about CJ's arrival. Tragic, yes, but his new life will be happy and blessed. I wanted to have a unique explanation of why he was sent to Lois and Clark. Plus, I didn't want to have him only be a temporary part of Lois and Clark's family like was planned if there had been a 5th season.

I'm looking forward to any additional comments you may have.

Thanks for reading and commenting! hyper

Cuidadora

Features Writer
Features Writer
*SNIFF*

So good. Jonathan is such an awesome dad, and the scenes captured him perfectly. And that school 'fight'. I couldn't help but feel angry for the Kents. Too often that sort of thing happens in real life! Grr. Glad Martha straightened out those stupid people. I so wish she was real... I'd vote for her :P

Anyway, I really liked the explanation of where the child came from. That idea could easily become a fic on its own, and the side note of Nightfall in that universe..... *shivers*

Thanks for writing this ^_^

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Well this is just precious! [Linked Image]

And as sad as it was, this is my favorite explanation for that baby!

"HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE." -Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Beautiful and sweet story. I love anything involving the Kents, and I thought it was very interesting how you portrayed Clark's emerging powers when he was young. I liked your explanation of CJ's origin too.

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by Blueowl
*SNIFF*

So good. Jonathan is such an awesome dad, and the scenes captured him perfectly. And that school 'fight'. I couldn't help but feel angry for the Kents. Too often that sort of thing happens in real life! Grr. Glad Martha straightened out those stupid people. I so wish she was real... I'd vote for her :P

Hi, Blueowl. Yeah, I hate that, too, which is why I wrote it that way. Martha and Jonathan may have a mild-mannered appearance, but they are warriors inside. Mama and Papa Bear Kent protecting their cub.

Funny you should mention voting for Martha. In one draft of this story, I had her running and winning the position of school board president after turning down the presidency of the PTA. That may be part of another story in the series. I can just see her running on a common sense and kindness to children platform, and straightening out everyone. laugh

Originally Posted by Blueowl
Anyway, I really liked the explanation of where the child came from. That idea could easily become a fic on its own, and the side note of Nightfall in that universe..... *shivers*

Thanks for writing this ^_^

I'm glad you liked my explanation of the baby's origins. With so many versions out there, it's challenging to come up with a unique one. As far as a fanfic for that universe, yes I'm sure there are some possibilities. Maybe Lex and his ark survived, and possibly others with arks or bunkers, even if Kal-El thought the whole planet was gone. But, I'm not sure I would read let alone be able to write a story with that much tragedy, and little or no hope. [Linked Image]

You're welcome. And thank you for reading and commenting! hyper

Cuidadora

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by Endelda
Well this is just precious! [Linked Image]

And as sad as it was, this is my favorite explanation for that baby!

Wow,thanks, E! I'm honored. It was sad, but I wanted to be sure there was no way that the baby could be returned to his birth parents, and that universe's version of New Kryptonians wouldn't come seeking him. And his life as Lois and Clark's child will be a good one, with lots of happiness and love from his parents and four grandparents. On their Earth, he will be able to play outside and have a normal childhood, or what is normal for a Kryptonian child. laugh

Cuidadora

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by TaliaJoy
Beautiful and sweet story. I love anything involving the Kents, and I thought it was very interesting how you portrayed Clark's emerging powers when he was young. I liked your explanation of CJ's origin too.

Hi, TaliaJoy!

I'm glad you liked it. As you can tell from my avatar, I like Martha and Jonathan in stories, too. laugh

Thanks so much for reading and commenting! hyper

Cuidadora

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
By the time Martha emerged from the principal’s office, Jonathan had dried Clark's tears with his handkerchief. They sat with Jonathan’s arm protectively around his son. And by the time she was done, Clark's suspension had been cancelled. Eventually everyone involved—from the boys, their parents, the teacher, principal up to the school board—knew exactly what Martha and Jonathan Kent thought of people who would hurt an innocent child, on the basis of a false rumor about his parentage. And they’d better fix that zero-tolerance policy that equally punished bullies and their victims. If they didn’t, they would hear from Jonathan's cousin who was a hot-shot Kansas City lawyer.

Do not mess with the Kents when it comes to their son. I am on their side. Why should Clark be punished for something those little nitwits did? I have no doubt in my mind that all three of them will think twice before messing with anyone again. Jonathan's cousin should have come from Kansas City anyway (for dinner and a chat) just to really scare all of them. Bullies should not be tolerated.

My parents adopted me. Some people think they're not my real parents. That my birth parents are my real parents. They're not. I don't remember them. My real Dad is Jonathan Kent. He's the one who plays catch with me. He teaches me to do chores on the farm. My real Mom is Martha Kent. She sews my clothes and cooks. And they both give the best hugs in the world.

Being there is the sign of good and loving parents.

"He showed me a picture of you, Kal-El and your wife. I believe this is the best option my son has to survive. According to your friend, a genetic test will reveal that he is indeed a close relative, as close as your son. For doing this, please know you are granting his parents’ last wish, that he be given a chance for life and love. The globe contains additional messages for him when he is old enough. It is my hope that the love of his birth parents will be with him always."

I read this paragraph several times. It cuts me to the quick, poor Kal-EL!

Mr. Wells had indeed come and confirmed everything. Apparently his “errand” was planting evidence of CJ’s birth and parents in official records. It was a necessary deception to protect the baby. And to keep Ms. Bailey from Social Services away. Constance Hunter was handling all the private adoption paperwork. Her fee had been more than paid by her first act; an injunction against social services citing Ms. Bailey’s unprofessional and possibly unethical behavior towards Lois and Clark in the past. Lois smiled. Ms. Bailey was on administrative leave as her actions towards all potential adoptive parents was reviewed.

Who is Ms. Bailey?

This was a powerful, moving story and one thousand times better than what was presented as the final episode of the show. Thanks for writing it and thanks for the crying alert! whinging

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Darn allergies indeed! I think there's something in my eyes...

Wonderfully tender story! I loved every minute of it. Thank you for sharing it with us. And I adore your explanation of where the mystery baby came from. Bravo!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by Morgana
By the time Martha emerged from the principal’s office, Jonathan had dried Clark's tears with his handkerchief. They sat with Jonathan’s arm protectively around his son. And by the time she was done, Clark's suspension had been cancelled. Eventually everyone involved—from the boys, their parents, the teacher, principal up to the school board—knew exactly what Martha and Jonathan Kent thought of people who would hurt an innocent child, on the basis of a false rumor about his parentage. And they’d better fix that zero-tolerance policy that equally punished bullies and their victims. If they didn’t, they would hear from Jonathan's cousin who was a hot-shot Kansas City lawyer.

Do not mess with the Kents when it comes to their son. I am on their side. Why should Clark be punished for something those little nitwits did? I have no doubt in my mind that all three of them will think twice before messing with anyone again. Jonathan's cousin should have come from Kansas City anyway (for dinner and a chat) just to really scare all of them. Bullies should not be tolerated.

Exactly! Clark shouldn't be punished for the actions of others. Oh, I suspect that Jonathan's cousin may make several prominent trips to Smallville. Making his presence known and asking pointed questions of the people involved. Perhaps enjoying Martha's apple pie runs in the Kent family, and that's his fee. wink

My parents adopted me. Some people think they're not my real parents. That my birth parents are my real parents. They're not. I don't remember them. My real Dad is Jonathan Kent. He's the one who plays catch with me. He teaches me to do chores on the farm. My real Mom is Martha Kent. She sews my clothes and cooks. And they both give the best hugs in the world.

Being there is the sign of good and loving parents.

Yup. smile1

"He showed me a picture of you, Kal-El and your wife. I believe this is the best option my son has to survive. According to your friend, a genetic test will reveal that he is indeed a close relative, as close as your son. For doing this, please know you are granting his parents’ last wish, that he be given a chance for life and love. The globe contains additional messages for him when he is old enough. It is my hope that the love of his birth parents will be with him always."

I read this paragraph several times. It cuts me to the quick, poor Kal-EL!
Yes, that's a sad sad situation. But it does show his and his wife's love for their baby. That he would unselfishly send him to Lois and Clark and lower himself to beg them to take them. If he's Lord Kal-El like Clark was, that would be against his training.

Mr. Wells had indeed come and confirmed everything. Apparently his “errand” was planting evidence of CJ’s birth and parents in official records. It was a necessary deception to protect the baby. And to keep Ms. Bailey from Social Services away. Constance Hunter was handling all the private adoption paperwork. Her fee had been more than paid by her first act; an injunction against social services citing Ms. Bailey’s unprofessional and possibly unethical behavior towards Lois and Clark in the past. Lois smiled. Ms. Bailey was on administrative leave as her actions towards all potential adoptive parents was reviewed.

Who is Ms. Bailey?

Constance Bailey was the social worker who evaluated Lois and Clark in the final episode as prospective adoptive parents. She gave Clark a rating of 97 out of a possible 100, and Lois a 19. She said Lois was "dangling over the jaws of death" on a regular basis, which disqualified her as a prospective parent. Based on that, the police, firefighters, military personnel and others would be disqualified. As another bully, this time against Lois not Clark, I thought she needed to be made accountable for her actions.

This was a powerful, moving story and one thousand times better than what was presented as the final episode of the show. Thanks for writing it and thanks for the crying alert! whinging

Wow, I'm delighted and honored you think so. You're welcome. Thank you for reading and the review. hyper

Cuidadora

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
Darn allergies indeed! I think there's something in my eyes...

Yeah, I think there's something in the air. laugh

Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
Wonderfully tender story! I loved every minute of it. Thank you for sharing it with us. And I adore your explanation of where the mystery baby came from. Bravo!

Thank you so much. I'm delighted you enjoyed it and the baby's origins. You're welcome.

Cuidadora

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I think this is my new favorite explanation for where that baby came from. LOVED this. What a great song and flow of love.

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by JellyS2
I think this is my new favorite explanation for where that baby came from. LOVED this. What a great song and flow of love.

Wow, I'm honored you think so and love it. That song is great.

Thanks for reading and leaving a comment! hyper

Cuidadora

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A beautiful story like this is all the more powerful because Eddie Jones has passed away. Thank you so much for writing it!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
A beautiful story like this is all the more powerful because Eddie Jones has passed away. Thank you so much for writing it!

You're welcome. Thanks for coming back and commenting again! wave
I'm working on an additional scene that occurs around 1979. Hope to have it up later this week or next.

Cuidadora

Features Writer
Features Writer
Perfect addition encapsulating all the goodness of Jonathan Kent while providing a window into why Clark/Superman is the way he is.

*Sniffle*
Eddie Jones will always be who I picture as Clark's dad.

Thanks for writing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard