Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#284847 06/16/19 09:46 AM
JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Chapter 17. Probably my second or third favorite chapter. I really enjoyed working in the songs. Clark describes a song in the bar and grill as being an upbeat popular song in the style of blues. It was inspired by a band I saw ages ago that did a blues version of Britney Spears - Hit Me Baby One More Time. They were a bunch of college boys and did the thing over-dramatically. I can't find any recordings they did on youtube, but this one is pretty close.

The first Nat King Cole song you might recognize as the source of a Kerth Challenge I did. You Stepped Out of a Dream is one of my many favorite songs sung by NKC. It was so incredibly perfect as this first song here (though it wasn't the original first song...). The second NKC song, Almost Like Being in Love, is one that gets stuck in my head regularly. Its a great feel-good song. The last NKC song, L-O-V-E, is a classic! Featured in popular movies and tv shows, most people are familiar with it. My 6-year-old gets this one stuck in her head a lot.

I also really enjoyed ticking Lex off in the last scene wink. Although I may have poked the sleeping bear in doing so sad .

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wow again.

Clark doesn't really remember anything. Lois is musically stalking him, trying to break loose his memories (including those of him being Superman). Lana is going to spend the night with Clark, where Clark will tell her that Lois is torturing him. Lana will either burst into a tearful tantrum and accuse him of infidelity or she'll get mad at Lois and go after her. Then Lois can sing Lana to sleep (or remembrance) with a Cole lullaby.

At the same time, Lex plans go after Clark to kill him before he remembers his powers, and Scott will have the chance to stop him - either temporarily or permanently. Scott can't harbor any affection for Luthor at this point, and he might consider Luthor's death as something to be accomplished by any means necessary. And it might take a killing to stop Lex this time around.

Will Lex catch up to Lois before she can restore Clark's mind to normal? Will he shove her under the memory-suck machine again? Will he buy her attempt to weasel out of her fate? (Probably not, since he has her side-by-side memory notebook.)

Maybe Lana will steal a page from Clark and investigate Lois' activities in the town and find out that she's hanging around with Scott. Wouldn't that be an interesting complication?

Of course, having poked Lex through the bars with a sharp stick, that might be complication enough for this part of the story. But I like having Lana stick her oar in and muddy up the action. I wonder what she remembers about her relationship with Clark. I also wonder if Lois' sexual assault by Luthor will offset (mentally, at least) Clark's dalliance with Lana.

Whoa. That makes me wonder just how many relationships this little process damaged, and how much international angst will come down on Luthor and Hightower and Montgomery when everyone's real memories return. Talk about your complications!

You're ratcheting up the tension again, Jel, and you're doing it very well. Keep it up and you'll force me to follow this tale to its inevitable terrible and painful conclusion.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Terry, your comments are always so insightful.

Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
Wow again.

Clark doesn't really remember anything. Lois is musically stalking him, trying to break loose his memories (including those of him being Superman). Lana is going to spend the night with Clark, where Clark will tell her that Lois is torturing him. Lana will either burst into a tearful tantrum and accuse him of infidelity or she'll get mad at Lois and go after her. Then Lois can sing Lana to sleep (or remembrance) with a Cole lullaby.
Yep, Clark knows nothing except being miserable and Lois is totally 'stalking' him. We'll hear some of Lana's response in the next chapter. wink

At the same time, Lex plans go after Clark to kill him before he remembers his powers, and Scott will have the chance to stop him - either temporarily or permanently. Scott can't harbor any affection for Luthor at this point, and he might consider Luthor's death as something to be accomplished by any means necessary. And it might take a killing to stop Lex this time around.
Yeah, Scott has zero affection for Luthor. You can't treat a man's sister like that and get away with it. Perhaps Scott doesn't think killing him is enough punishment..

Whoa. That makes me wonder just how many relationships this little process damaged, and how much international angst will come down on Luthor and Hightower and Montgomery when everyone's real memories return. Talk about your complications!
You should see my plethora of word documents outlining some of those complications... Sheesh. I did have to limit it somewhat, but perhaps some of the other complications will be dealt with in future stories.

You're ratcheting up the tension again, Jel, and you're doing it very well. Keep it up and you'll force me to follow this tale to its inevitable terrible and painful conclusion.
Thanks, Terry. I love tension. I hope you do see it through to the end!

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard