Previously - Chapter 8

Chapter 9

November 20, 1995

Lex stood at the window of the second-floor conference room of Son Kwan Industries at the edge of the harbor where he would have a front-row view of today’s proceedings set to begin any moment on the dock directly below his present position. The sunlight peeked through the clouds casting strange shadows and sparkling back up to meet Lex. In his current mood, he didn’t feel at all embarrassed about being pleased with something that ‘sparkled’.

He turned from the view and walked to a couch that had been placed facing the window and took a seat. He took a deep breath and picked up a small device that looked like a miniature television remote from the table next to the couch. He turned the remote over in his hands, careful not to press any buttons, and admired its humble simplicity.

Today, Superman would leave, the fulfillment of his project nearing its end. S.T.A.R. Labs had put together a set of equipment for Superman to use on his long journey through space and he had been working with a group of scientists to learn how to use it. Now all that was left was Superman’s departure. He would, however, not fly away and travel to a chunk of a planet believed to be all that remained of his home world, Krypton, to see if there was any evidence of a living society there.

Naturally, it had been advertised on the front page of the Daily Planet. Countless admirers had crowded into the harbor to catch one last glimpse of their superhero before he disappeared for what could potentially be years. They had arrived early to claim their spots with their chairs and tents and makeshift kitchens like they were tailgating at a football game.

Superman will leave today, Lex thought. My enemy will be no more. But not in the way the rest of the world expected. And then there would be no one to stop Lex from getting everything he wanted. Everything he rightfully deserved.

A door opened at the edge of the platform. Cheering and applause commenced. From his vantage point, Lex could see into the room Superman had been in and quickly reached for binoculars to get a clearer view. He stood and rushed to the window, set the remote down on the window ledge, and crouched down to better see under the overhang at the edge of the building.

Lois Lane, his Lois, was standing several feet inside the room. Though he couldn’t see the tears, the redness of her face suggested she was crying. Oh, Lois, Lex thought, his heart reaching out to her. It will all be over soon, my darling. The emotions that coursed through him were not unlike those of a parent disciplining a child in a way that causes the parent’s sorrow but is undoubtedly necessary in teaching a lesson.

Superman turned to her and she nodded, wrapping her arms around herself. The door closed her away from him, forcing his attention to Superman who walked toward the center of the makeshift stage. They had chosen this location because it had plenty of room for an audience, or so they’d told Superman. In reality, it was next to an essential geographic feature that would provide a convenient way to hide what would happen shortly after Superman left – a large body of water.

Superman donned his equipment, all carefully and expertly arranged in a practical and efficient pack. He turned to wave to the crowd but did not say anything, just kept waving as the applause grew. Then he turned to face the harbor and pushed off. Forced to keep a lower speed near the ground, he went up and then did a barrel roll aiming himself toward the sea. A small cloud dissipated as he flew through it leaving a swirling trail of condensation.

Lex picked up the remote once again as he watched Superman weave around other clouds and shrink in size. Once Lex could no longer see the superhero, he pushed a button on the device he held in his hand.

Finally. Finally, it was all beginning.

He had waited patiently for months now.

He could feel a rising surge of satisfaction in his veins.

The door opened, and Carl stuck his head in. “The helicopter is ready, sir.”

“On my way.” Lex set down the binoculars and left the room, shutting the door behind him.

The large fishing boat bobbed with the passing waves as the helicopter landed gently on its deck. Lex stepped from the open door, ducking as the wind from the powerful blades pushed him downward despite their slowing rotation. As he stepped away from the helicopter, he glanced around looking for any indication that his prize had been collected.

“Where is he?” Lex bellowed to the approaching captain.

“The Hot Tuna is almost back now.” The captain gestured toward the stern of the ship and the two made their way toward a group of sailors preparing for the arrival of the smaller boat. The instructions the captain received when his large boat had been chosen for the job due to its size were to be at a specific location in the water at a set time expecting the drop of a very special parcel. Several smaller, faster boats covered zones in the area to quickly retrieve the package that could land anywhere in the area.

Satisfaction had encircled Lex since the moment he’d pressed the button, exposing Superman to kryptonite and expelling an inflated flotation device. As the Hot Tuna drew near, he could see a tangle of red fabric and yellow plastic, and the satisfaction changed to euphoria, the success of his plan finally set in stone at the successful capture of the only thing that could ever stand in his way.

They hoisted their invaluable cargo to the deck of the ship and dropped it in an awkward heap with what was an enjoyable thud to Lex’s ears. He crouched near the head of Superman, sweeping the wet fabric from his face.

“And so we meet again,” Lex sneered. “Though under much more palatable circumstances.” A wry smile tugged at the edge of his mouth. "For me anyway.”

Lex rose from Superman’s side, standing taller than he had in a long time. He turned abruptly away, heading for the helicopter once more, barking orders over his shoulder, directing his world once more.

As fate had always intended.

“No, sir,” Travis Knapp said as he walked beside Lex down the long, sterile hallway. “She came willingly to the holding room.” The tapping of their shoes was the only other sound to be heard above the buzzing of the fluorescent lighting. Doors were occasionally spaced on either side with labels indicating their purpose. Lex paid them no mind, focused only on his destination and the task that awaited him there.

“Excellent,” Lex said, relieved. “I didn’t want this to be any more painful for her than it already will be.”

“That’s very considerate of you, sir,” Travis acknowledged. They came to a door labeled ‘Green Room’ that was traditionally used by speakers to relax before heading to the lecture hall next door. Travis stepped to the side of the doorway and faced Lex.

“Of course, it is,” Lex confirmed. He looked Travis in the eye. “I want only what is best for her.”

“Yes, sir.” Travis nodded his head and opened the door to allow Lex in.

The room was small and a bit less sterile than the rest of the building. Two puffy club chairs sat against one wall opposite a matching couch with a coffee table between. A window opposite the doorway allowed light to spill into the room. In the shaft of light, Lois stretched out in one of the club chairs with her eyes closed and legs crossed, her head leaning back against the wall, arms draped peacefully on the armrests.

Lex was grateful that Ferguson was able to gain the trust of Lois and Kent and was proving to be an invaluable asset. Ferguson was just inside the door, leaning on a table with his ankles crossed in front of him, holding a jacket casually slung over his linked hands. After the departure of Superman, it was Ferguson who had brought her here. He stood when he realized it was Lex, then nodded and stepped out of the room.

She didn’t move as Lex approached, as if she were drained of energy. Lex felt an ache in his chest seeing her this way, sullen, with tears staining her cheeks. He crouched down in front of her and noticed the ring on her left hand, simple, pathetic. Clark must have made her some sort of promise before leaving. He would replace it soon enough with far finer, infinitely more appropriate jewelry for the remarkable woman that Lois was.

He reached out to take her hand in his and was surprised that she allowed it. Her head came up as her eyes opened slowly as if she’d been asleep. Her eyes went wide with recognition seconds later and she yanked her hand from his.

“Lex?!?” she said, sitting up straight in the chair and looking around the room. “Where’s Scott? Wh-what are you doing here? How is this possible?”

“Lois, forgive me,” Lex apologized. “I didn’t mean to startle you. Scott stepped out for a moment.” He shifted his weight and moved to sit on the armrest her hand had vacated.

A frown creased her brow, and the draw to smooth it with his fingers was palpable but he resisted. She was nervous. Of course, she didn’t realize he was no longer in prison and it was enough of a shock already. He would be patient with her as only he could be.

“What are you doing here?” she asked. “I…thought you were in jail.” She directed her frown at him and he was so pleased she was looking at him that he didn’t care that her expression held nothing but contempt.

“I was,” he acknowledged, nodding, “but I was released on parole-”

“That’s impossible,” she interrupted, standing up and walking toward the door.

Lex chose to not respond. The last thing he wanted was to argue with Lois about piddly matters. Instead, he briefly closed his eyes and envisioned his goal, calming himself.

She reached the door and jiggled the handle. “Why is the door locked?” she asked as she slapped her hand on it.

Lex stood but ignored her question. “Lois,” he said soothingly, “it pains me to see you suffering so … with no one to comfort you. I’ve come to offer my support.” He held his hands at his side, palms up, offering whatever she needed as he took a few steps closer to her.

She turned to look at him, the same scowl still on her face. “Support?” She huffed, crossing her arms over her chest.

Even her temper was endearing to Lex and he couldn’t help but smile at her. “Yes,” he assured. “I know you are alone now, and I hope to fill that void.” He took a step closer to her, leaving only a few feet between them.

“You’re insane.” She rolled her eyes as she shook her head and turned back to the door, pounding on it again.

“I am not. Everyone has left you. You need companionship.”

She stilled. After a moment, he heard her release a sob as her shoulders bobbed and her head dropped. That was not was he was going for and it broke his heart to have put her in this position. Reminding himself that this was a necessary step and her reaction was only temporary, he took a deep breath. “Forgive me, I’ve been too frank.” He reached a hand to her shoulder.

“No, he’ll be…” She shrugged his hand away and pushed past him, moving to stand in front of the window before correcting herself. “They’ll be back.”

Lex sighed as he followed her. How could he make her see? “Lois, please,” he said as he reached for her shoulder again.

“Stay away from me,” she growled and used her hand to knock his arm away. Turning to face him, he saw both fear and determination in her eyes, a formidable combination.

“Lois,” he breathed, looking down at her fisted hands before returning to her fury-filled eyes. “I have always loved you from the bottom of my heart. Please, darling, I just want to help.”

“No!” she shouted and shoved him away. Rushing back to the door, she pounded more furiously than before. “Someone let me out!” she yelled at the door.

Lex closed his eyes and reached into his pocket. He hadn’t wanted it to be this way but could see no other alternative now. He pulled the small syringe out of his pocket, removed the cap from the needle and positioned it appropriately in his hand. He stepped up behind her and whispered, “Everything I do is because I love you.” Then he pinched a spot on her shoulder hard enough that she couldn’t pull free, quickly inserted the syringe and injected the golden fluid.

A sharp intake of breath preceded a scream. But it died away quickly as her eyes rolled back and her eyelids closed. Lex dropped the syringe and reached to catch her. Swiftly picking her up, he carried her to the couch. He brushed her hair from her face gently, as if she were made of porcelain, allowing his eyes to take in all of her. All that was this extraordinary woman would now be his. Slowly he leaned forward and gently pressed his lips to her forehead. “I’m sorry, my dear,” he whispered. “I promise I’ll make it up to you.”

Grasping her hand, he was reminded of the ring on her left hand. He chuckled once more at Clark’s now broken promise before removing it and tucking it in his pocket before calling for Travis.

November 21, 1995

Lex stood still in his living room as a flood of emotions swept over him causing him to close his eyes slowly and inhale deeply. He had finally reached the culmination of his efforts, all these weeks of work leading to this one point in time. Careful planning, patient preparation, and determined perseverance were his greatest attributes and they had not failed him in this.

Nearly bursting with anticipation, Lex picked up a picture frame resting on the shelf. Lois, in a most exquisite and delicate wedding gown, was positioned in front of him, leaning back with a hesitant smile on her face. Soon, she would arrive, and while he’d taken from her everything she held dear, he would replace it with his most sincere affection and she wouldn’t even realize what she’d lost.

He would change that hesitant smile into one filled with passion.

For him.

Lex placed the picture back in its spot and reached for another frame as the sound of a door opening and closing drifted into the room. He subdued his excitement lest he not fit into the mold he’d made for himself and Lois. To her, it would simply be another arrival home from an assignment.

To him, it was the beginning of the rest of his life.

Scott entered the room first, carrying several pieces of luggage with a large bag full of camera equipment pulling his shoulders back.

And then she walked in.

Delicate grace and breathtaking beauty.

“-have believed it if I hadn’t seen it myself,” she was saying. “I wonder where–” She stopped when she saw him and threw the most dazzling smile Lex had ever seen in his direction.

Always master over his emotions, this would surely be his most demanding trial yet. His heart raced and every ounce of control he possessed went into remaining reasonable in his excitement to see her. In her mind, it had only been a few days absence though it was an eternity in his.

“Lex!” she said, still smiling. She walked over to him and quickly planted her lips on his as he worked to only gently grasp her arm. His lips were consumed by the fire that lingered. “I’ve missed you! It feels so good to be home.”

“And I have missed you, darling,” Lex breathed, leaning forward to lightly brush his lips on the delicate skin of her cheek as he unwillingly relinquished his hold.

“That story was a waste of time,” she said, shirking her jacket from her shoulders and draping it over the back of the sofa. “Brenda really needs to get better at sniffing those out before sending me out like that.”

“I’m sorry to hear it.” He stood motionless, transfixed, staring.

She seated herself on the sofa. “At least I had Scott to keep me company. Though his stories are a little boring, he plays a mean poker game,” she teased, winking at him.

“Well, you won’t have to put up with me any longer,” Ferguson assured. “I have to get home to Samantha and Mom, make sure they’re doing all right.”

“Tell Samantha I said ‘Hi’,” she said as she propped her feet up on the table. “See you tomorrow, Scott.”

“Tomorrow.” Ferguson gave a brief wave in her direction and nodded to Lex before exiting.

“What’s that you have there?” she asked rising from the couch and gesturing toward the frame he still held behind his back.

“Oh,” he said, surprised. It had slipped his mind when she arrived. He glanced down at it before replying, “It’s just our marriage certificate.” He pulled the frame from behind him and she took it from his hands.

“Why did you take it off the wall?” she asked. She walked to the place on the wall where it had been and hung it back in its place, studying it for a moment before turning to look at him with an expectant smile gracing her lips.

“Remembering, my darling,” he said wistfully, wrapping his arms around her. She reached up to link her arms around his neck and he breathed in deeply, savoring the scent of her and the feel of her in his arms, of her affection. “Just remembering.”

“Did you manage alright without me?” He could hear the playful tone in her voice and smiled as she slowly closed her eyes and opened them.

“It was dreadful,” he exaggerated. “Never leave me again.” He squeezed her tightly and lifted her from the ground, swinging her around.

The easy laughter that erupted from her took his breath away and he was beyond pleased to be the cause of it. “I’m sure you did fine,” she said, laughing.

“No, I am in earnest. I simply cannot live without you.” Looking into her eyes as he lowered her to the floor, he craved her, and, in a husky voice, said, “Now that you are home, I thought we could do some … things together.”

“What did you have in mind?” she teased playing with the hair at the nape of his neck.

Finding it a staggering distraction, he swallowed, allowing her to see how she affected him. “Well, you have been away for several days.” But he’d been waiting far longer than that. He nuzzled her ear and spread delicate kisses down her neck as he spoke, “I’ve … missed … having you near.”

The pleasure of successfully completing his plans filled Lex. As Lois leaned her head back and sighed her enjoyment, Lex questioned whether any moment had or would ever top this one.

Comments go here!

Continue reading - Chapter 10

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.