Next Thread
Print Thread
#284403 05/11/19 12:58 PM
JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
The story.

I'm sure you are wondering, so I'll answer that lingering question now - Yes, this story is based on actual events grin . Its a conglomeration of actual happenings, none of which happened to me, but all of which I personally witnessed (and laughed about (regularly)). Additionally I had fun channeling all of my 15-year-old female students and the way information comes from them when trying to explain a situation.

I hope you enjoyed it! And, please, leave any and all feedback you have!

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
lol rotflol

That was great! I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. clap

Great job, Julie!

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Haha very cute!

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Features Writer
Features Writer
This is delightful. I think all of this at once could only happen to Lois's daughter. rotflol clap

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks everyone, I'm so glad you liked it.

Originally Posted by cuidadora
I think all of this at once could only happen to Lois's daughter.

Exactly what I thought! wink

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.
C
Kerth
Online Content
Kerth
C
Made me smile so adorable

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks, Crazy_Babe!

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I stifled my laughter only because I didn't want to alarm my wife. And it wasn't easy, let me tell you! We need TV commercials telling us not to text and cook. Kara could have used some of that wisdom. rotflol

Great story, Jelly! Your target was obviously the funny bone, and you hit it dead center. clap

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
L
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
L
great job, I loved Kara smile

* once a Lois and Clark fan, always a Lois and Clark fan *
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
That was hysterical. (And it made me feel a little better about never having been served a Mother's Day breakfast in bed.)
Was this what it was like when she babbled?
Yep. Exactly.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I am a firm believer that anyone can learn how to cook... except if their last name is Lane.

Yikes! New toaster? I don't want to know! dizzy

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
I stifled my laughter only because I didn't want to alarm my wife. And it wasn't easy, let me tell you! We need TV commercials telling us not to text and cook. Kara could have used some of that wisdom. rotflol

Great story, Jelly! Your target was obviously the funny bone, and you hit it dead center. clap
Right on both accounts - there's a whole slew of things people shouldn't do while texting and I was most assuredly going for laughter! Thanks, Terry.

Originally Posted by LadyTpower
great job, I loved Kara smile
Me too! I'll have to keep her in mind should I need her in a future fic. wink

Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
That was hysterical. (And it made me feel a little better about never having been served a Mother's Day breakfast in bed.)
frown I hope your kids don't suffer from the Lane curse! (I'm pretty sure my sister and mother do... but they've both grown out of it)

Originally Posted by Morgana
Yikes! New toaster? I don't want to know! dizzy
I considered adding that little scene in, but it kept feeling forced. Made a fantastic little 'what-the-heck' there at the end though... wink

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi JellyS2,

I hope your kids don't suffer from the Lane curse!

I wish that were all my son had to deal with. He's a teenager who, because of severe autism and cognitive deficits, is unable to talk, has extremely limited language skills via the use of a communication app, and can not even fully take care of his own basic hygiene needs. If his worst problem were that he couldn't cook, I would be ecstatic.

I constantly look for silver linings; your story provided me one. Hence, my earlier feedback.

Joy,
Lynn

B
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
B
Well... I have absolutely no idea why, but I believe Lois and Clark will not let Kara alone in the kitchen for a while...
I enjoyed this story. Very funny.
And now we all know how the curse REALLY should have come true - Clark dies because of one of Lois meals. Poor HG Wells! :-)
PS: Is Kara's name a reference to Kara Danvers??

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.
JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm glad you liked it! IF they do let her in the kitchen alone, it will probably be with some x-ray supervision wink

PS: Is Kara's name a reference to Kara Danvers??

Oh! I hadn't thought about that until you mentioned it now. When I was trying to think of a good name for the daughter of Lois and Clark, Kara was what I remembered from ... somewhere ... Not sure where really.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Julie!
Kara Lane-Kent, at the ripe old age of 15, was positive she knew more about the world than her parents.
Sounds reasonable. She *is* a 15 year old, after all.

Evidence for this included figuring out her own father was Superman months before they decided to tell her,
/nods gravely/
LOIS: Hey, it took me only *two* years to figure it out myself, so you still have to listen to me, young miss.

and realizing that the reason her mother never did the cooking was not because her father was so great at making mouthwatering culinary treats but because her mother prepared dishes that would make better science projects than meals.
So, Kara takes after her father?

In true fashion, he was supportive but cautioned her to not choose anything too elaborate.
So, cereal (without fruit or other adornments) then?

she insisted on doing it all herself and told him that the only job she needed him to do was keep her mother busy until breakfast was ready.
Didn’t think that one through, did we, little miss super ears?

Lois said ‘Daddy’ in a childish voice that she was sure was the perfect imitation of the way their daughter said it when she wanted something.
KARA: Daddy, can I go to the concert, please? All my friends are going.

Lois looked down and was caught off-guard by the mundane fare in front of her. “Cereal?” she tried to say without sounding confused but failed.
I did *not* read ahead. I swear!

When she looked up, Kara was still eying the contents of the tray.

“And coffee,” Kara pointed out with a smile.
laugh

Lois winced. It was her fault. She was cursed, and she had apparently passed the curse on to her child.
laugh What if there’s a second curse, this one placed *just* on Lois’s soul and her decedents.

“Of course not, I was distract…ed.” Her voice faded as she said the last word. Her daughter must have realized how badly she’d just put her foot in her mouth. Her skin reddened once again, but she didn’t say anything more.
Clark? What did you do to the poor girls’ mother while said girl was busy trying to not muck up breakfast?

Kara rolled her eyes again. “It’s with the burner from the stove.”
laugh and let me guess, the burner’s now firmly attached to it, huh? Some might say, welded to it.

Apparently, the empty pot can get hot enough to melt the enamel.”
Do they have kid-insurance? Or don’t they insure Lanes out of principle?

Kara’s embarrassment faded a little. “Thanks, Mom,” she said bashfully. “And I promise I’ll buy you a new toaster.”
*snort*

That was a funsy-cute one clap

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks Michael! I love how you weave your thoughts into quotes. Gives me helpful insight into the mind of the reader. Glad you liked it!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Glad you enjoyed smile1

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard