Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#283458 01/27/19 03:41 AM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Sorry for the long delay, but this was a monster of a 'chapter!' In fact, the writing of this particular what-if goes back long years, all the way back to 2012 or so. (Morgana, you probably recognize the premise, actually, seeing as how you beta-ed for me, so thanks for your long ago encouragement!)

A long time ago, I wanted to write an epic story called 'Galactic Stowaway,' about what would have happened if Lois had gone with Clark to New Krypton. I even wrote the first thirty pages of it, but then got distracted with other things and just never went back to it.

When I started writing 'What If...?' it seemed like a wonderful solution to write the basis of that story here. Ugh. Not so easy. You see, I had thirty pages already written, but the style of this story is completely different. Originally, this was going to be a story exploring telepathy in a culture and getting to know different minor characters and lots of political happenings...and none of that fit into 'What If...?' So, it took a lot of time just getting everything translated over and readjusting my own mindset.

And then it...just...got...so...long. As I'm sure you noticed. I spent the last month just trying to keep this behemoth of a chapter contained so that it didn't grow into an out-of-control epic. I'm not sure how successful I was, in the end...

Anyway, that's a long story to explain why this took so long to post (and so many posts to finish it)!

Also, just as a general disclaimer, I know nothing about viruses or about farming. So I tried my best to stick to some generic things. If anyone spots any major inconsistencies, feel free to let me know!

Thank you!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ok, so that was absolutely chilling! I had to pull myself out of reading it probably half a dozen times because a) sitting down to read 100% guarantees the kids will want me for something and b) I was 100% sure you were going to kill Clark off. I had a sneaking suspicion early on when you talked about the heavy air, his exhaustion, etc, that the Kryptonian virus would be making a cameo appearance. I even suspected Ching of exposing Clark to the virus at one point just because he loves Zara and doesn't want her to be with Clark. Of course, that ignores the fact that Nor would marry her and Ching would do anything to keep Zara from Nor, including letting Clark be married to her.

I also had this weird, scary thought when you placed emphasis on Clark's fidelity to Zara (he can't so much as hug Lois without disapproval) that he would be forced to give her a child/pretend to be the father of a child Ching would sire just to "continue the bloodline" before he could make his escape.

In the end, I am SO relieved NONE of these situations came to pass. And I love that Clark is "dead" to the NKers. At least they'll leave him alone now!

Well done! Thanks for creeping me out all afternoon! smile (I mean that in the best way.) I, like Clark, felt the air being squeezed from me as I read and I'm so happy you were able to bring it around to a positive outcome.

(You also make me want to revisit some old "fanfic graveyard" chapters dealing with Ching and Zara...But we'll see.)

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

L
L Offline
Columnist
Columnist
L
Wow. Just wow. I love all your stories and this one was so powerful - you are such a lyrical writer.

Thank you!

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is better than Galactic Stowaway. Now onto Part Two.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I'm glad you were able to make it all the way through the story, DC! Seriously, I did try to keep it short, but that is just not my strong suit apparently! smile Thanks for sticking it out even with all the distractions! I'm pretty glad I didn't have to go with the whole forced-heir thing, but ugh, I never even thought about Ching being the one to deliberately infect him. I figured we had enough to worry about already! I actually worked on this one so long that I haven't read it all the way through myself, so reading your comment was certainly encouraging!

Thank you so much, L -- hearing that my writing flows is one of the best compliments I can get, so it definitely made my day! I'm so glad you enjoyed!

I'm glad you think it's better, Morgana -- thanks for giving it a look-over for me all those years ago!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard