Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
The Word Count Challenge was harder than I had thought it would be. Here's my first (but possibly not my last) attempt to answer it. The language was a little stilted in places because I was avoiding contractions. (I didn't know whether they counted as one word or two.) I also wasn't sure whether all word-limited characters had to appear, so they all at least made a cameo.

As always, all feedback is much appreciated. (And you are not word-limited in your responses.)

Joy,
Lynn

N
Features Writer
Features Writer
N
Haha, cute! Nice job Lynn smile

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi NK,

Thanks. The funny thing was that the story was discovery-written (an approach I don't usually take), and I only realized there was any wordplay involved after I finished typing the sentence in question. Until then, I had had no idea where the vignette was going or how I would end it.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Cute story, Lynn! Only being able to allow Lois one word at a time certainly IS a challenge! And perfect title. So true too - who you know often proves to be important. Great job!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Features Writer
Features Writer
Delightful story, Lynn! Very impressive with the word limitation. clap

An excellent question about contractions. In the drabble challenges I've participated in, they've been one word and encouraged to meet the word limit. I don't know if that's typical or not, though.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi DC and Cuidadora,

My apologies for the delay in responding. I took advantage of my school's spring break to take a week's vacation, and I was spending it visiting relatives. I'm back home now and am busy playing catch-up.

My thanks to both of you for your feedback. DC, I'm glad you like the title. I sometimes find it a challenge to come up with a good one, but this one came easily to me.

Cuidadora, contractions being counted as a single word would certainly make the limits easier. Hmmm... Would Lois's super-speed babbling where she doesn't pause for breath count as one huge contraction? Nah, didn't think so. But if she were aware of the limit, you can bet your sweet chumpy she would make that argument.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lucy retorted indignantly, “I know Batman.”

Clark elaborated, “Flight attendants have connections, Perry.”

Morgana picks herself up from the floor, she's laughing so hard. goofy

It was nice to see Lucy Lane as she was in the comics, a hard-working flight attendant (stewardesss) who probably did meet a lot of high-flying celebrities. But how she knows Batman is beyond me! Great job!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Morgana,

Thanks for the review. It was a real pick-me-up after a stressful day. (Nothing horrendous happened; it was just the sort of day where as I worked on one task, three others would be dropped in my lap.) I'm glad you picked up on the comic book reference.

Perhaps the bat-plane was out of order one day? wink More likely, it occurred because recklessness runs in her family and Batman happened to rescue her when she wandered into a bad neighborhood in Gotham on a layover. (Then again, "a bad neighborhood in Gotham" is somewhat redundant, isn't it?) Maybe she first learned about him in his playboy-Bruce persona and -- investigative skills and curiosity running in her family -- she was "checking out" Wayne Manor and stumbled upon the entrance to the Bat cave.

Does anyone have any other speculations?

Joy,
Lynn

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Lynn!

Very cute one. And Val surely was cruel and unjust in limiting Lois to single word sentences wink

So, Bruce was sitting in first class and when Lucy helped him with his carry-on, one of his batchutes fell out?

wave Michael

PS: I'm trying really hard to not flash to Love and Capes here.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Michael,

PS: I'm trying really hard to not flash to Love and Capes here.

I loved that series right from the reveal on the very first pages, and was saddened when it ended. At least it didn't end with a mystery baby.

Thanks for the feedback. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Lynn,

Love and Capes is returning this summer with The Family Way:
http://smashpages.net/2019/02/14/love-and-capes-returns-this-summer/

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Love and Capes is returning this summer with The Family Way:

Woohoo! Thank you, Michael. You just made my day. I had been periodically checking the Love & Capes website in hopes of a return, but after a while, I gave up.

I now have another reason to look forward to the summer. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard