Title: Kindred Spirits
Author: Susan Young <groobie@verizon.net>
Submitted: February 2019
Rated: G
Summary: The Greatest American Hero seeks out Resplendent Man during “A Bolt from the Blue.”

Author’s Note: This story was inspired by the 2019 Kerth Challenge #3: TV Episode Challenge. “Pick any episode of Lois and Clark and plant one character from a TV series you enjoy (old or new) into the plot. Do they help the villain or Lois and Clark? How would it have changed the episode? This must be set in Lois and Clark's universe and in an actual episode.”

“Break it up, you two!”

Clark paused, holding William Wallace Webster Waldecker at arm’s length, and looked in the direction of the authoritative voice. He saw movement in the throng that had gathered around Superman and Resplendent Man as they fought in the middle of downtown Metropolis. The command from the crowd had the stern tone of a teacher admonishing his students. Clark felt a flush of shame, embarrassed that he had let his emotions carry him into a physical confrontation with Waldecker.

A Caucasian man with curly blonde hair stepped through the crowd. He wore a bright red unitard with a black cape and a symbol resembling the Chinese character for “center” affixed to his chest. The scowl on the man’s face made Clark feel like he was back in junior high, wishing he could shrink into invisibility as he slumped behind a student desk.

“Oh, for heaven’s sake!” Waldecker complained. He threw up his arms in exasperation. “This town already has two superheroes. Go find your own town to protect. Another hero in Metropolis would be bad for business.”

The costumed man shook his head, his eyes focused on Waldecker. “No, I live in L.A. I just flew over to talk to you. But, uh, can we take this conversation somewhere a little less public?” He cast a meaningful look at the gathering of people surrounding them.

The question jarred Clark out of his curious stare. “Of course!”

Waldecker sighed loudly. “I suppose,” he said with a Tennessee drawl.

Clark released Waldecker from his grasp, and then indicated the sky with a nudge of his head. Waldecker leapt into the air first; Clark followed his fluttering blue cape, glancing behind to see the man in the red suit trailing along unsteadily.

Waldecker landed in an alley only a few blocks away. Clark easily touched down next to him. But the man in the red suit let out a frustrated scream as he crashed into a cluster of trash cans.

“Every time!” the man complained as he stood and dusted himself off. He turned towards Clark and Waldecker, straightened his spine, and affected an air of confidence as he closed the gap with an outstretched hand. “Good to meet you both. I’m Ralph Hinkley.”

Clark responded in kind. “Superman,” he said by way of greeting.

“Resplendent Man,” Waldecker said with a flourishing bow. “At your service.”

Ralph enthusiastically shook Waldecker’s hand. “I’m so glad I found you.”

“How can I help?” Clark asked.

Ralph cast a wary eye over Superman, then turned to face Resplendent Man. “Well, actually, I was hoping you could help.”

Waldecker preened with pride. “Now this I simply must hear.”

“I heard about your commercials. Pictures of you are all over the news, even as far away as L.A.” Ralph glanced at Superman before continuing. “I mean, of course I’ve heard of Superman, but he just seemed, well…” Ralph bent his arms upward and flexed his muscles in the least intimidating way possible. “He seemed a little out of my league. But you – you seemed more my speed. So, do you have it with you?”

“Have what?” Waldecker asked.

“The instruction manual! I lost mine right away, so it would be really great if I could read your copy. Crash landings are so embarrassing.”

Waldecker cast a quizzical eyebrow at Clark, who shrugged. “I don’t have no manual, but I’d be happy to provide you with my price list.” Waldecker pulled a piece of paper from a pocket in his cape and handed it to Ralph. “Mind you, this is just a first draft. I’m going to add color and print it on glossy paper for the next batch. And of course, prices are subject to change.”

Ralph asked with a slightly quieter voice, as if he was sharing a secret, “Didn’t the aliens give you the manual when they gave you the suit?”

Waldecker appeared offended. “I’ll have you know I worked long and hard on making this myself.” He motioned towards Clark with a dismissive wave of his hand. “Superman didn’t give me nothing but his powers.”

Clark sucked in a breath as Ralph turned towards him. “You’ve met other aliens?” Clark asked.

Ralph nodded. “Of course. Haven’t you?”

Clark shook his head.

“Well then where did you get your suit from?”

“My mother made it for me.”

Ralph sighed loudly. “So, your suit is just a suit? I mean, you don’t need it to…” He waved his arms and jiggled his body in what Clark assumed was meant to represent his abilities.

“What I can do is all me,” Clark confirmed.

“Yeah, well now it’s me, too.” Waldecker leveled a withering glare at Clark. “So, if you’re done casting aspersions on my morality, I’ll just be going now.” With that, Waldecker took off so quickly that he caused a sonic boom.

Ralph cocked his head. “I feel like I’m missing something.”

Clark blew out a breath. “Resplendent Man acquired his powers accidentally. He’s not using them in the most noble way possible.”

Ralph looked over the price list in his hand. “Does he at least take credit cards?”

Clark scoffed. “Cash only.”

“Being a hero might be good for the soul, but it’s terrible for the bank account.”

“You can say that again. Still, I wish I could make him understand that he has a responsibility to serve the public good.”

“Uphold a moral code.”

“Exactly.”

Ralph agreed. “I try and teach my students about ethics every year. We all have a part to play in making the world a better place.” Ralph ran his palm over the red fabric covering his chest. “I never asked for this, but I feel like I was chosen for a higher purpose, so I can’t say no. I’ve just got to do the best I can with what I’ve got.”

Clark lightly gripped Ralph’s left arm in a supportive way. “I know it’s not easy.”

“It sure makes getting to work on time a challenge. My uncle has helped teach me what he knows about the hero business. And, of course, none of it would be possible without Pam.”

“Your girlfriend?” Clark guessed.

Ralph smiled. “My rock. My everything. Ever since I got the suit, it has been a challenge to balance my time as a hero, my work at the high school, and my time with Pam.”

“She knows?” Clark asked, his voice colored in surprise.

“Of course. It’s not really something I could hide from her.” Understanding flashed across Ralph’s face. “Oh. You’ve got someone in your life that doesn’t know about the suit.”

Clark folded his arms across his chest, though he suspected the gesture was interpreted as menacing rather than protective. Ralph held up his hands and took a step backwards. “I didn’t mean to pry. It’s not my business. I’m not here to cause trouble.”

Clark held his pose for a few moments before letting his guard slip down a bit. “It’s complicated.”

Ralph offered him a sympathetic nod. “Love usually is.”

“Aren’t you afraid? What if Pam got hurt because of what you do?”

A quiet chuckle escaped Ralph’s lips. “Pam Davidson is the smartest, bravest, most capable woman I know. She can take care of herself.”

Clark smiled. “Sounds a lot like someone I know.”

“Life’s a whole lot sweeter when you’ve got someone to share it with.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.” Clark patted Ralph on his shoulder in appreciation, then said with a slight frown, “Sorry I can’t help with the suit.”

Ralph shrugged. “It was worth a shot.” He started to turn to leave, but then said, “Hey, if you’re ever in L.A., feel free to look me up. Maybe you’re not so intimidating after all.”

Clark laughed a full-bodied laugh that melted away Superman’s stoic exterior and revealed a bit of his warm soul underneath. He extended his hand in friendship, and Ralph shook it eagerly. “Count on it.”

As Ralph flew away, Clark’s thoughts turned to Lois. And though he wasn’t yet ready to reveal everything about himself to her, he smiled, because he had hope in his heart, a path forward, a vision of a relationship free of secrets. All courtesy of a guy in a red unitard.

Believe it or not.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink