Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Ann, I can't believe you've doubted your writing ability. Like, ever. Your prose is gorgeous and layered and so, so atmospheric, putting your readers in the scenes you've masterfully crafted.

From the beginning, we're there with Lois and Sandman, taken along on this dizzying, horrifying ride:
The robed figure reached out an arm, which grew to an immense length, and grabbed the glowering horizon an eternity away. Reaching out to gather in Lois with his other arm, he pulled them both, at a dizzying speed, up flush against the wall of the horizon. With his bony fingers, he parted its red-black folds, and opened a window onto a world outside; grey, howling and swirling from a blizzard. Grabbing her hand tighter he led her out into the raging, pounding snow. But the screaming white fury didn’t seem to touch her. As if her body had been surrounded by an invisible aura, the snow whirled past her, failing to make contact.

Then she made out the crashed balloon, its huge red inflated air-trap, a beached whale, a titanic Amazon’s cut-off rosy breast, straining and pulling at the remnants of its basket across the snow-choked ground. Next to it, a small, brightly-colored figure of a man, his red cape flapping furiously in the wind, was carefully cradling an unmoving, broken-looking woman in his arms.
Wow. Just wow. The description here is stellar. (One tiny nit-pick: When you write "a titanic Amazon's cut-off rosy breast," I've paused there every time because of the "cut-off," though I completely understand the reference. Maybe "severed" would work better there?) Honestly, I'm at a loss for proper FDK, and this is just the fourth and fifth paragraphs of your story!

But even staring Death in the face, Lois doesn't lose her famous indignation:
”What???” She grabbed the Dream-Lord’s robe and shook him, sending stars and spiders flying. ”You bring me here just to make me watch myself dying???” Turning, she spat sparks of fury at the approaching shape of Death. ”And you can take your scythe and shove it!!! I’ll make you sit on it!!!"
*loves* This was a great way to allow us to breathe, if only for a second.

Because then, Lois' consciousness is momentarily shoved back into her broken, dying body, only to leave again:
And she was floating comfortably in the sky, looking down at a still woman and at three men gathered around her. One man, in a beloved blue skintight suit, its bright colors and gaudy design seemingly taken right out of a children’s comic book, was cradling the woman in his arms. A tall figure, so dark that the negation of illumination seemed to radiate out of him like an inverted sun, moved inexorably closer to the woman and reached out a skeleton-hand for her heart.
Again, such haunting, gorgeous description. If I weren't sitting on the edge of my chair, I would've laughed at the "children's comic book" line, and I loved reading Death as "an inverted sun."

And the way you've written the instrinsic, almost elemental connection between Clark and Lois left me near tears. Your Lois and your Clark bring a whole new meaning to the term "soul mates," Ann:
He was a huddled, grieving figure of a man, with a Lois-shaped hole in his heart, still oblivious to her. She reached out to him, to touch his heart. His heart-hole beckoned her. It invited her in, and she floated inside, settling herself into the snug fit of the hole. Until it was a hole no more. As she completed him and filled him, and snuggled herself into his warmth, she felt his presence imbue her. His heart, now healed, made her own heart grow back inside her. In tandem, their hearts set her stilled blood moving. Together, they sent her presence flowing along his nerves and capillaries into the body that was hers, leaping like sparks of electricity into the body he was holding in his arms.
Ann, I could go on and on quoting, it's all so wonderfully written and fraught with suspense. This deal Lois has made with Sandman — she's basically wagered her life to save Clark's own! It's the inversion of a familiar gesture (Clark putting himself at risk time and again to save Lois) that makes what your Lois has done all the more powerful. Sandman's going to put the world in a deep sleep, and everyone's going to forget that Clark ever revealed himself as Superman. And now Lois is left, lying broken and bleeding and dying somewhere in the Arctic, completely alone, with only her hope that an unknowing Clark will save her to comfort her:
A red balloon, dark in the pale moonlight, lay half-buried under the snow, and a woman’s broken body lay sprawled beside it, her blood tracing a delicate calligraphy of love letters in the snow.
Such a poignant, haunting line to end on. Ann, this is such beautiful writing, and what a gripping story — you must must must post your next chapter soon.

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Angelic has already said it so perfectly, so I won't go into lengthy repeats: this chapter is so amazingly poetic and haunting and incredibly well written.
notworthy notworthy

Ursie

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I must echo Angel. This is a wonderful story. You've introduced the Sandman so delicately and powerfully. But my favorite part is the "Lois-shaped hole in his heart."

Wow! That just grabs me! I'm off to read the next installment now! We'll chat later!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
========================================
”You… you’re alive…. Alive….” He was quivering, pressing her into his shoulder. ”God…. Why….? Why d’you come here? Lois?”

”Lookin’ for you…. Why… d’you leave …?
=========================================
Wow, talk about kicking Clark into gear.
You said it wouldn't be the Clark from Lois & Clark but I can so picture the man who was leaving during the heatwave acting like your Clark.

I think you have a better take on Clark than you think. The running away is totally in character for Clark PRIOR to Lois. Repeatedly she had to kick sense in to him and here you have her doing just that.

Framework4
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I noticed in the series what Framework is talking about. When faced with trouble involving his super side, Clark tended to run, until Lois stepped in to change his perspective. Considering that he'd been told all his life to hide what he was, that isn't surprising, but it took Lois to give him the courage to face those kinds of problems instead of running. I think you've captured that quite well here.

Normally I don't read stories heavy on the angst until they are finished. In spite of writing mostly suspense-type stories myself, I have little ability to handle it in someone else's story <g> but you've changed the focus here, so I think I can manage -- but don't dawdle, okay? I want to see how this comes out.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Thank you so much for reading and commenting on my story!

angelic_editor, I can't thank you enough for that wonderful feedback! You make me blush - blush - and at the same time I'm so glad that you managed to see some of those things that I was really, really trying to say...

First, though, let me say something about what you didn't like, the Amazon's cut-off breast. There's a Greek legend according to which the Amazons cut off one of their breasts to make themselves better archers, and I just thought that the grounded balloon somehow reminded me of such a (freshly) discarded body part.... But LabRat didn't like the breast either, so maybe I should let it go! But, as you say, maybe "severed" would work better?

But I'm so, so glad that you saw that I was trying to show that Lois and Clark are more than soul mates. That's one of the most important points I'm trying to make in this story - that it's really a miracle that Lois and Clark are together at all, considering that Clark truly is an alien. But at the same time, Lois and Clark are so attuned to one another, so much a part of each other's life force and very essence, that the term "soul mates" is much too pale to describe the link and the togetherness they have.

Ursie, I'm so glad you think this chapter is poetic and well written!

Terry, I'm very glad you appreciatete my take on the Sandman. He isn't my own character, since he was created by Neal Gaiman. But don't we all like to work with borrowed characters? goofy

And I'm so happy that you like the "Lois-shaped hole" in Clark's heart! I was pleased when I came up with that image, too.

Framework, I'm glad to hear that my take on Clark works well for you!

And Nan, thanks for reading my story and commenting even though you usually don't read angst-laden stories until they are finished. Actually, now mine is.... wink

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. drool

More ASAP, please.

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard