Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Tank Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
T
I've already given some feedback on this story personally, but I wanted to chime in here to answer the question about putting this on the archives.

Of course you should. And, it's not up to me if you should or not. My little fic might have given you the impetus to write your story, but I have to claim on it. Remember, all our fanfics are based on someone else's characters, and the world that was created by a television show. In a real sense, we are all building off someone else's ideas.

I found this take off, interesting and quite different from what one might expect.

I applaud anyone who takes the time and effort to write. I also feel that the archives should be the archives should be the final resting place for any fic effort that you want on there.

Hey, it doesn't matter what inspires you, just go for it.

Tank (who wishes he could get inspired to work on his own original story)

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Ann, you know what I think of this story smile - it's creative and different and really interesting. You have taken the storyline in a completely unexpected direction, while still handling the expected subjects...

Why had he left her? She saw his face in her mind's eye again, the way he smiled. The way his brown eyes glittered, when he looked at her. As if they'd shared a secret.

But he hadn't shared his secret with her at all. He had carefully split himself in two men before her, displaying himself to her as two incongruous, unconnected personas: trusted colleague and farmboy from Kansas on the one hand, and spandex-clad superpowered demigod on the other.

And the demigod was never to have her. Only the farmboy was for her. Yet... when the farmboy had gotten close to her, he had backed off, frightened, as if burnt.

Why? Because the farmboy couldn't rid himself of the demigod after all? Because he couldn't be just plain old Clark Kent? Because he couldn't exorcise the... alien?
... I really like the last metaphor, like the other side of himself is some kind of evil... it's a strange but interesting spin on his situation. Also, I like that she seems to get it - to get him. She sees that he has separated himself into two and cannot seem to deal with the consequences and believes he must sacrifice half of himself to live up to his full potential. goofy

Nicole smile

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ann, I'm so glad to see you've been writing more! After your incredible Valentine's Day piece, I was so so so hoping you'd post more of your work.

This is such an interesting spin on the Tank/Wendy challenge. I was gripped the whole time; you've got lots of talent, lady. notworthy

The image you paint here is burned into my brain:
After being told about Monica Pearson's fate he had locked himself in a conference room, then stridden out of it, shirt open and S-shield showing, and mutely started clearing out his desk.
So powerful, and so heart-breaking. I can *see* Clark, sitting broken and alone in the conference room, then clenching his jaw in realization and striding into the newsroom, his shirt untucked and only half-buttoned, the Superman emblem clearly visible.

And then this:
Stonily silent, his face grim and impenetrable, Clark was retiring the mild-mannered reporter while holding up the remnants of him for his co-workers and the world to see.
Oh, Ann — I thought you broke my heart in the previous sentence, but I was mistaken. It had only cracked. This just did me in. Poor Clark — it's over for him, he knows it. All he has left is a box of hollow memories.

Then, my heart constricted for Clark and Lois here:
Gathering up the belongings of the man who'd had the audacity to pretend he was a member of the human race, refusing to acknowledge the presence of his stunned co-workers, refusing to acknowledge Lois, Clark had walked slowly to the stairwell and out of the Daily Planet building, apparently forever. Standing silent and still on the sidewalk below, he had allowed the milling crowds to pay attention and to start gathering around him, until he had taken to the skies, flown north, and disappeared into the blue vastness above.
Such evocative writing, and it echoes the "loneliness of the long-distance runner" theme you've previously mentioned. It's just ... so achingly perfect.

I have to echo Nicole's comment; you delve right into the main issues with the insight in this piece. Thanks for sharing this with us on the boards, Ann — I can't wait to read the next installment.

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ooh, looks like this is shaping up to a great story! I'm totally unfazed by the fact that this isn't an ABC spin-off since I like almost all versions of Superman. Great idea!

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Columnist
Columnist
Hi Ann,

I'm very glad to see another story from you and this beginning is very painful and haunting... almost spiritual.

I await the rest of this story with great interest.

Yours Jenni

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Yes, Ann has a poetic, almost spiritual style and I too think she should explore her writing talent. Her ideas are original and I'm sure she'll surprise us with very riveting stories. razz

I can see Clark leaving the Planet, leaving Lois even, but to abandon his beloved parents just like that? Let them be driven out of their home, being on the run like criminals? frown

Okay, I know, I'm thinking of L&C's Clark who had such a loving relationship with Martha and Jonathan. clap

Trust Lois to come to the rescue! wink

Ursie

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Thanks a lot for reading my story and commenting on it!

Tank, thank you for your encouragement!

Nicole, thanks for seeing that Clark considers his "alienness" as something almost evil, and that Lois understands how he feels, but obviously doens't share his sentiment. That's a point I was trying to make here.

angelic_editor, I'm glad you enjoyed the scenes where Clark retired his mild-mannered reporter identity. I liked writing them. Guess I imagined it was something he might do, if he started feeling all desperate about his double life and all it entailed.

Shadow, thank you so much for being interested in this story, even though it obviously isn't an ABC spin-off!

Jenni, thank you so much for your kind words here. To me, there is definitely a spiritual connection between Lois and Clark.

Ursie, thank you so much for your kind words. I'm sorry that you feel bad about Clark's cruel outing of his parents. Believe me when I say that I don't think Clark "should" act like that, and that I very, very much like the loving relationship Clark was seen to have with his parents in the ABC TV show. But I wanted to create a situation where Clark's revulsion of himself and fear of Lois took precedence over all other feelings, including his love and loyalty for his parents. Hopefully you'll like him a little better at the end of the story... but whether you do or not, I appreciate your honesty!

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great start. hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard