Next Thread
Print Thread
#282723 11/28/18 08:08 PM
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Geographic Distance - Complete Story

Hello, FOLCs! I know it's been a while. eek It was nice to get away from all of the technical writing I've been doing at work and do some creative writing again. I hope you enjoy the story. smile

Susan

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
This whole story was charming and fun and utterly enjoyable, but
“Oh, god,” she moaned. “You are the cause of all this heat.”
made me laugh out loud. Thank goodness I live alone and have no one to witness me being weird! goofy

"HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE." -Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OMG! Great story! Love the back and forth between their viewpoints and how they both want the same thing so much. Charming, WAFFY story - perfect to warm me up on a cold night like tonight. And I agree with E. That line about Clark being the cause of the heat is priceless! Thanks for sharing!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
Kerth
Groobie!!!

So excited to see a fic from you! And this was a wonderful tale! I love the slow realization that Lois has that she does actually care, and maybe even more, how she goes to him and convinces him to stay "for us"... My heart melted! And then the reveal being so subtle but getting the point across... Absolutely flawless. And he didn't even have to say the words.

My personal favorite line though:
His eyes danced away as he said, “I like you.”

She mocked him with a deadpanned voice. “I like my goldfish.”

Clark rolled his eyes. “I really like you.”

“I really like chocolate.”

Oh, and this little gem:
Action was far more productive than tears, and there were specific things on her agenda for the day: reclaim her partner, redeem Superman’s reputation, and win a Pulitzer. That last one was always on her list.

lol So Lois!

Standing ovation! clap Wonderful job!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, welcome back. I just loved this story! It is the type of story that got me hooked on Lois and Clark fanfic way back when. Hope to see more soon!

Thanks for posting,

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Welcome back! So happy to see you post something new.

She marched down the short flight of stairs, set her coffee on his end table, then crossed her arms, turning back to face him. “Get dressed. We’ve got work to do.”

Clark sighed and rolled his eyes in exasperation. “Lois,” he said, drawing out her name the way he did when he was trying to lightly admonish her. “You know I quit last night. The letter?”

She fluttered her hand as if to brush his words away. “Is irrelevant. Everybody knows you have to give two weeks’ notice. You’re not allowed to just leave.”

He shook his head, a mournful expression coloring his face. He descended the staircase, coming closer to her. “I’m going to miss you.”

Love how she just charge in and expects him to come back. I can totally picture his sad response.

Lois stepped forward into Clark’s personal space. Her hands rose in front of her; she hesitated for a fraction of a second before gently placing her fingertips against his chest. She heard him breathe slowly, as if doing so was an intentional rather than automatic process. His eyes opened and asked a silent question, but she lowered her gaze to avoid the intimacy of the moment. She flattened her palms, feeling his solid physical presence before quietly saying, “Stay, for us.”

Clark inhaled, and Lois felt the broad expansion of his chest beneath her hands. He raised his right hand and cupped her cheek, causing her to lift her head and gaze into his eyes. She saw something there: a question, a request, a plea. He whispered words she had once said to him. “There is no us. There’s only you and me.”

Ahh I love this. When all else fails, go with the truth. Love Clark using her words to respond. And this...

Summoning her courage, she said in a hush, “Stay, for this.”

Oh so romantic.

I could seriously quote the whole story. The revelation was simple and just perfect. And I just love the flirty ending.

Fantastic!

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
This was beautiful. Their sadness, Lois finally admitting that she cares, more than just cares really. Clark's inability to say no to her warring with his desire to follow the law. The pure courage of Lois admitting to him how she feels this early in first season. And I laughed out loud at her liking her goldfish and chocolate, lol. Snarky Lois is one of my favorites!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yay!

Welcome back!

Clark Kent, who was out the door and out of her life. Clark Kent, who had gone from meaning nothing to everything in the space of a few short months. Clark Kent, who was moving back to Kansas, which was nowhere near Metropolis.

Lois let her head fall onto her desk and felt a fat tear fall from her eye and pool onto the wood surface. She did care, she finally admitted to herself.

Damn it, she cared.

Caring is the first step towards loving a man ...

All that having been written, I simply wish this was not the end! Imagine Lois and Clark on the trail of the monster who caused the weather to go buggy? Oh, what a story that would be!

Last edited by Morgana; 12/02/18 01:50 PM.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thank you all so much for leaving such positive feedback! smile1 I'm happy that my WAFFY little story made you all smile. There's far too much toxicity in the world today - it was nice to spend some time back in a world that's just full of love. love

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Susan!

Flyover country.
Yes, the places Superman flies over. Mostly. Except during Tornado season.

South Dakota had Mount Rushmore, she knew that much. North Dakota had…frigid temperatures? Nebraska had corn. And Kansas had Clark Kent.
Cute one!

and hundreds of people willing to dedicate an entire weekend to ritual crop worship.
To be fair, they only have one movie theater. Three towns over.

Lois was the inflexible one, the one who was recognizably out of place in the slower, quieter pace of his small town. She lacked his skill at shifting gears.
Well, Martha did offer Lois a chance to improve her flexibility and have Clark help her shift gears. Lois was the one who declined the offer.

It would take a non-stop day of driving to reach Smallville, assuming Clark didn’t choose to fly to Wichita instead,
So, it really *does* only take a 1 minute flight, then?

and it would take him some time to pack all of his belongings.
8.5 minutes. 20, if the box tape keeps ripping.

A job opportunity at the Smallville Gazette shouldn’t be worth more than the pain of walking away from a best friend.
Well, the friend’s trying to pouch his woman, so…

Lois let her head fall onto her desk and felt a fat tear fall from her eye and pool onto the wood surface. She did care, she finally admitted to herself.

Damn it, she cared.
[Linked Image]

Clark paused. What if he made a different choice? What if he told Lois the truth, the real reason he had to leave? What if he took a risk and revealed his secret to her?
/imagines Clark showing up at Lois’s place, telling her he has to show her something and then starting to unbutton his shirt/

Clark opened the door with a heavy heart and then gasped, because he couldn’t begin to process the flood of emotions he felt when he saw Lois Lane.
Good thing he’s promised not to float anymore.

Action was far more productive than tears, and there were specific things on her agenda for the day: reclaim her partner, redeem Superman’s reputation, and win a Pulitzer. That last one was always on her list.
laugh

His body was so close to hers; if she took one step forward, she could fold herself in his arms. The thought startled her, the fact that she was thinking about molding her body into his startled her,
Yeah, she just said, work. Pulitzer. There certainly isn’t time for…being flexible.

He was going to leave, thought Lois. He was going to take his globally acquired tchotchkes and his comfortable sofa and his masculine scented shampoo and his irritating honesty and his gorgeous brown eyes and his undeniably sexy body and his critically important friendship and pack it all up into a moving van and give it all back to Kansas. Kansas! The most blah-shaped state in the backwater of the country didn’t deserve such a priceless gift.
Jealous, huh? Good thing Lana moved away from Smallville, I guess.

And yet she was sure that if she could say the right words or deliver just the right accusatory pitch or arch a perfectly skeptical eyebrow, she could convince him to change his mind, unpack his boxes, and remain in her life.
laugh

She flattened her palms, feeling his solid physical presence before quietly saying, “Stay, for us.”
[Linked Image] ‘us’ as in her and Superman laugh

He whispered words she had once said to him. “There is no us. There’s only you and me.”
Oh boy. He just woke the mad dog.

“Stay, for this.” She pulled Clark fractionally towards her. He responded, bending down to meet her lips and pleasure spiraled through her body as she became consumed by their kiss.
Oh boy. See? Jumped. No water checking required.

She cared, damn it, but she had cared in the past, had slipped sensuously into the arms of a colleague in the past, and she had been irreparably scarred by the experience. So despite the rapturous pleasure of his embrace that called on her to indulge forever, Lois broke free from the kiss and took one step back.
Oh dear. Now he doed-her-in-the-headlights.

Lois felt her emotional walls rebuilding brick by brick, stacking up like cardboard boxes in a moving van. Resigning herself to the inevitable was the easiest thing to do, the safest thing to do, which paradoxically meant that it was the last thing Lois wanted to do, because she had come to his apartment on a mission and she really hated to lose.
Well, if she had followed through, she would have staked a claim on him. Maybe he’d even be required to remain close to be able to watch the little one from time to time. Or stay very close to do this properly.

She intertwined her fingers and softened her voice. “They should be closer.”
Yes, but if Superman where to suddenly go and destroy about 800 miles of continental US territory just to squash the continent and shrink the distance between Kansas and New Troy, he might not really rehabilitee himself in the eyes of the Metropolitan public.

Understanding flashed through her as Lois reflexively tightened her grip on his wrists.
Awwwww…
CLARK: /oh boy, and now she goes ‘mine mine mine!’/

His eyes danced away as he said, “I like you.”

She mocked him with a deadpanned voice. “I like my goldfish.”
laugh

Clark rolled his eyes. “I really like you.”

“I really like chocolate.” Lois gave him a challenging look.
rotflol

/waits for him to say ‘I love you’./ Lois could respond with ‘I love Superman’.

Clark cocked his head slightly and asked with a hint of amusement, “And what happens tonight if we still haven’t solved the mystery?”
Huh, looks like he propositioned her.

Lois took a step back and pointedly looked him up and down.
And she’s considering it.

She lengthened her spine, placed her hands on her hips, and drew in a breath, deliberately expanding her chest.
A lot.

She smoldered her eyes and coyly teased, “I’ll convince you to stay.”

Clark whistled softly. “Lord, help me!”
rotflol

Her eyes widened dramatically as she said with a gasp, “The suit does come off!”
She’s cute!

“Oh, god,” she moaned. “You are the cause of all this heat.”
rotflol Oh, and do you maybe want to set the ‘are’ to italics?

As he set her back down, Lois said, “I think I’d enjoy that, so long as the first thing I see is how fast you can unpack those boxes.”
Always focusing on the important stuff.

LOIS: What? Can’t I be nesting, too?

What a waff-fest!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
clap Beautiful story! I love it! clap

~•~
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Oh, more feedback! clap Thanks again, to all of you who read the story. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I can't resist the WAFF. grin

Darth Michael: you are always so sweet to leave such detailed feedback. Thank you so much.

Susan

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
In the realm of "better late than never," I finally found a few minutes to read this story. I've had it open -- wanting to read it -- in a browser tab on my iPad since it dropped. It was every bit as good as I had anticipated. Brave!

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard