Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
New chapter is Here!

FDK goes here! laugh

Sorry this took so long. I've been tying myself in knots over which direction to take this section since it's an episode I'd been looking forward to reaching, for reasons that have continuously changed along with the rest of the plot. So many contradictory plans, so much rethinking of where the story is and should be going, so much worrying about pacing and purpose and whether it's more important to keep the story focused or let it wander...

Anyway, I finally found my footing again, so I hope y'all enjoy this bit. smile

~•~
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Bumping due to drastic rewrites.

~•~
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Wait, what? Clark looked up at Suzanne? Is Michel in Metropolis?

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Mary!

He'd spent all night falling from various heights, only to land in the same stinking dumpster over and over again!
Maybe he should have replaced the dumpster with a nice, clean slab of concrete?

Even his vision powers remained mostly inaccessible, save for one mishap that cost him a curtain.
good thing he wears leaded glass around Lois. Otherwise, Susanne would not be pleased.

but the feel of tights under his clothes just had him wriggling uncomfortably as he walked to work, drawing stares from passers-by as he looked like he was trying to do some kind of interpretive dance!
Better that than if he was standing in the subway next to some reasonably young woman and readjusting his suit to adjust his other suit.

Worst of all, though, was when he tried to find consolation with his so-called “girlfriend” just a few minutes ago. The gossip columnist had assured him that they were an item. He didn't know if she knew about his other identity, but surely she could at least lend a sympathetic ear for some of his other woes?
Yeah, no. She’d only be up to some other… sympathetic stuff.

He'd bared his soul, telling her how lost he felt in his own life without his memories, how disoriented he was by this undercurrent of strange and disconnected emotions running through his head, and how terrified he was that he might be facing a serious or even permanent problem!

Then, she'd told him she'd lied.
rotflol The old, ‘it’s not you, it’s me’ speech, huh?

She grinned. “An investigation! We're going to find Superman!”

Oh. Joy.
You know, Michel is really no fun. Clark would be all over the idea of leading Lois on yet another wild goose chase where she should make a galactically stupid fool of herself.

“Come over to my office. I have something to show you that I think you'll really...appreciate.”
Oh, she got new underwear she hopes to model for him?

Susanne's office was almost a counterpoint to the one he'd been told was his; everything in it seemed to have been placed with precision. Long shelves of neatly-arranged rocks and crystals laddered the wall behind her desk, with neat, hand-written labels showing where and when each piece had been collected. Her desk itself had nothing on it except for a small box, much like the one his currently unanalyzed samples were packed in.
jawdrop Did she switch their offices?

She strode into the tiny room, snatched the box up, and held it toward him. “Do you want to guess what's inside?” she asked, grinning.
Oooh! Oooh! Pick me! Pick me! /places down a fiver on ‘glow green crystal’/

“How dense was the asteroid?”
About half the density of a Kryptonian skull.

“There's a difference between trying to strike a giant dirt-clod or a giant mass of solid platinum.
Yes, the platinum one you will want to transport piecemeal to Earth to sell later on for the kids’ college fund.

Flecks of red and green sparkled against the dull gray of the asteroid sample.
Ooop?

Susanne tipped the rock out into her hand. “Oh! It's heavier than it looks!” She started to smile at him, but then suddenly looked down at the rock again. With a surprisingly unladylike imprecation, she shoved the sample back into the box and closed the lid.
Oh, she already put two and two together back in the day? Sorry, been a while blush

“Michel?”

Clark looked up at Susanne, who was now watching him with a concerned expression. “I'm sorry,” he told her. “I...need to go.”
Oh, looky there. He got his marbles back. And Susanne didn’t even have to get naked. Sorry for figuring it out way back when [Linked Image]

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi guys! wave

I was gonna wait until the next part was ready before replying, but since it's taking a little longer than I expected (still making progress, though, don't worry!) I decided to just go ahead and say thanks for commenting, and if anyone is interested, here's an outtake from an earlier draft of this chapter. smile

“Well, Michel?” Susanne smirked at him. “What do you think?”

He blinked. He wasn't sure what he'd expected Susanne to show him in her office, but it certainly wasn't this. “Um...”

“I bet you've never seen such amazing cleavage in your life,” she gloated, leaning towards him. “They're real, you know; completely natural.”

“I—I'm sure they are,” he stammered.

“You can touch them if you want to,” she offered. “Just be gentle.”

“Well, okay...” The crystals she held out to him were nice and smooth.

Sadly, it was taking too long to herd the characters towards the plot, so this little joke had to get the axe. sad

Anyway...

Originally Posted by Christina
Wait, what? Clark looked up at Suzanne? Is Michel in Metropolis?

Yep! smile

Originally Posted by DarthMichael
Oh, looky there. He got his marbles back. And Susanne didn’t even have to get naked. Sorry for figuring it out way back when

Hey, no apologies! As a matter of fact, back when I first got the notion that ASU would result in both of them having amnesia, I resolved to carefully maintain a pattern of "Clark's POV,Michel's POV, Clark's POV, Michel's..." as a subtle clue to sharp-eyed readers that "Clark's" chapter was suddenly happening in Michel's slot. Of course, by the time the story got to this point, the characters' personalities were strong enough that I actually had to suppress them a bit to keep the ambiguity...anyway, it was meant to be a bit of a play-along, so props for solving it quick (even if your biggest clue was "obvious plot twist" ;)).

~•~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
rotflol That outtake! clap I admit, you had me fooled till the last line. Than again, I'm not *that* fluent in geological vernacular huh

(even if your biggest clue was "obvious plot twist" ;)).
Yeah, those. I freely admit, I've learned to spot them. Sometimes? I guess. Anyway, my actual hobby is finding ways to use them to camouflage the actual plot twist angel-devil That is, if I can get Muse and Work to actually be on the same page, in terms of writing time...

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
This was excellent! I especially enjoyed the shared 'Eureka!!' moment. I love how you're keeping us (and both of them) on our toes with your twists.

Thank you for writing this charming story! [Linked Image]

"HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE." -Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
Kerth
Kerth
I just realized I never commented on this latest chapter!!

clap

Just wanted to pop in and say how fabulous it was. The twin realization (pun possibly intended) was very well done! I love reading your explanation as well, how you crafted these chapters. I didn't even catch that the perspective suddenly shifted! Brilliantly done! hail

Can't wait for more, as always!

PS: Rock cleavage had me rotflol

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard