Delusions of Grandeur
Folc4evernaday
Chapter 13

A/N: Trigger Warning. This chapter discusses the subject of violence against women and depicts flashbacks that imply the threat of sexual assault.

Present Day…

“Look out!”

The screams for help continued to echo throughout the dark tunnel. Images of the bridge falling apart and Clark frozen in place by a Kryptonite blade covered in Lois’ blood filled Clark’s mind. He opened his mouth to scream only to have nothing but pain course through his throat. He couldn’t move as he struggled to fight back.

<<“Lois Lane won’t be a problem. She’s sure to have bled out by now anyway.”>>

<<“You stabbed her. Left her to bleed out. I’d say that’s personal.”>>

<<“I live in a fantasy world? Perhaps, but my fantasy’s about to come true.”>>

<<“A blade is so underused and underappreciated these days, don’t you agree?”>>

<<The man of steel brought to his knees by a simple rock and unable to hear the screams for help from Lois Lane herself.”>>

<<"It’s only fitting she should die from the same blade as her hero.”>>

Clark bolted up in bed, staring around the familiar room. ‘Just a dream,’ Clark told himself, climbing out of the bed. He could feel his heart racing, pounding against his chest as sweat poured down his face from the mental hell his mind has just escaped. When would he escape these nightmares?

He gripped the side of the bed for a moment before standing to his feet and making his way to the kitchen. The hallway was dark but he could still make out the corner of the hall that led into the kitchen. Thankfully Lois kept the oven light on at night, giving him enough light to make his way over there without fumbling for the hallway light.

He made his way into the kitchen and grabbed a glass from the cabinet, pouring himself a glass of water from the sink. He sighed in relief when he felt the cool liquid on the insides of his throat. Flashes from his nightmare continued to plague his mind. That blade covered in blood and Luthor’s sinister threat of killing him with the same blade he’d used to …

He took a shallow breath, trying to will his mind to remove the memory of his captivity. Try as he might he still couldn’t escape the terror he’d endured at the hands of Dr. Kelly and Lex Luthor. Night after night he’d dreamed of escaping but now that he had he wasn’t sure what to do with himself.

There was a part of him that missed Superman. Everything that came with the superhero had been a dream come true. He had a chance to finally use his gifts and he missed the powerful gifts that were now lost to him.

He wondered momentarily if that would ever be enough. Was the risk that came with wearing the cape and boots worth what danger it put his family in? He still had yet to make that call to his parents. His decision not to reach out to them obviously troubled Lois in part because of her own relationship with her family and the forced blackout she was enduring. He knew it had to be hard knowing there was no way to reach out to her family, even if the relationship left a lot to be desired.

Still, he couldn’t bring himself to dial the number and have a conversation with his parents about everything he’d endured. His father had spent nearly his entire life warning him of what would come if he let anyone find out about his alien origins and he had been right. Superman had put a target on his parents, himself and everyone he cared about. Now he was forced to face the consequences of his actions and wonder when everything would come crashing down around him. He just couldn’t bring himself to reveal how badly he’d let his parents down.

His mind briefly flashed back to Luthor’s cage and the bloody knife he’d seen as Luthor had taunted him with the news of Lois’ death. A part of him died in that moment, realizing that any chance of saving her from Luthor’s monstrous clutches was futile. He had lost everything. Despite the heartache she’d put him through, confessing her love to Superman and claiming to love him even if he was an ordinary man all the while rejecting that ordinary man, he still couldn’t change the fact that he still loved her. Losing her had become a soul crushing hell that he was sure Luthor got far too much pleasure from.

Now here he was enduring a different kind of hell. Stuck in a weird twilight zone of sorts where he was forced to act out the dream he once had, wondering if it would ever come to light. That was what made all of this so painful. Here he was, face to face with the woman he thought he’d lost and forced to face the feelings he’d long buried months ago. Not only that, but adding the torture of having to play the part of husband and wife in public with her only added salt to the gaping wound of his broken heart he was still healing from.

Lois Lane was and always would be his ultimate weakness.

He loathed the feelings of jealousy and inadequacy he’d juggled throughout their partnership. Given the months of isolation and the reality of losing Lois completely in the hell Lex Luthor put him through he found himself wondering if his need to have Clark be the one Lois opened her heart to hadn’t been the reason he lost her all together. Self-loathing and blame became an everyday occurrence during his torture.

The truth would come out eventually. He knew that. Luthor would make sure of that, but would Lois ever be able to love him—Clark Kent—the man beneath the suit, without the powers? A few months ago he knew his answer would have been a loud no. Now he wasn’t so sure.

Lois had changed.

Whatever hell Luthor had put her through had changed her outlook on everything. The way she talked about her family was different. The way she spoke about Jimmy was different. Hell, the way she talked to him was different. Her guard had come down. She went out of her way to help him through some of the worst moments. Talking him through the night terrors and offering a friendly ear to listen. Letting him work through everything on his own when he needed and calling him out on his crap when he got too stuck in his own head.

He snorted to himself, recalling the way she called him out on ignoring her the first few weeks they’d been in the cabin together. Things were different between them. He felt closer to her than ever before and still his heart still ached for more. He knew without a doubt he still loved her.

Though his memories from the day of his rescue were still jagged he still remembered Lois kissing him as she dug out the kryptonite laced tracker Dr. Kelly had placed inside his chest. In that moment all he could focus on was the pain running through him, but his memory clung onto the sensation of Lois Lane’s lips against his. It hadn’t been a simple peck or friendly exchange. The spark that he’d felt from her immediately flashed him back to the kiss she’d exchanged with Superman just before he’d left to stop the Nightfall asteroid.

He’d come close to kissing her. He’d come really close to kissing her, but before he could she’d pulled away. The subsequent weeks of silence had been welcomed by him as he struggled to come to terms with what had happened. After finally breaking his silence he and Lois seemed to have found a comfortable existence between them. She continued to dig into what she could to help build the case against Luthor and kept herself busy with her job at the library.

It was their new normal, yet a part of him still wondered if there was something more behind that look she gave him from time to time. He had become increasingly aware that his continued time of living under the same roof made it impossible to ignore his feelings for her. Despite having his heart trampled on, he found himself unable to stop wondering if something might have changed on her part. The look she kept giving him was enough to make him melt beneath her gaze.

‘There was only one way to find out,’ his mind taunted him. The crippling thought moved to the forefront of his mind and he felt his chest tighten recalling his heartfelt plea in Metropolis park. He knew the only way to get the answers he wanted was to talk to Lois, but that meant putting himself out there again and risking everything once more. Though he knew the possible rejection could possibly break him he wasn’t sure he could bear another day not knowing if there was at least a chance. He was running out of time. He knew once Luthor was behind bars the chance of her ever loving just Clark Kent would disappear forever.

He glanced up at the window by the sink. Light was slowly trickling in from the sun rising. He sighed, staring at the clock on the wall. He had to get ready for work.

<<“I own you. I own this city. No one does anything in this city without me knowing about it.”>>

<<“I have been in love with you for a long time. You had to have known.”>>

<<“Do you really think Superman will take you back once he knows I’ve had you?”>>

<<“Goodbye, Lois.”>>

Lois let out a muffled scream as she pulled herself from the nightmare that continued to haunt her. The images were still so raw as she felt her heart pounding in her chest and the sweat drenched sheets and t-shirt press against her back. She grimaced, sitting up and stripping the nearly soaked shirt from her body and tossing it to the ground.

<<“Well, it’s no matter. His interference has been taken care of permanently. Mrs. Cox saw to that.”>>

<<“How does it feel to know how close you were to bringing down the boss of Metropolis…and fail?”>>

<<“Do you really think Superman will take you back once he knows I’ve had you?”>>

Trigger Warning. This chapter discusses the subject of violence against women and depicts flashbacks that imply the threat of sexual assault.

(Trigger Warning)
The image of Lex’s deranged face pressed against her flashed through her mind and she felt a chill run down her spine, forcing the image back down. Her eyes moved to her left side where the mangled scar—the evidence of what Lex had done to her –stared back at her. She swallowed hard, running a hand over the pink scar, uncertain if she should wear it as a badge of honor for having survived the unthinkable and won or as one more thing that Lex had taken from her.

Her life.

Her sense of dignity.

Her pride.

Her self-worth.

All of those things had been lost when she found herself at his mercy, left to bleed to death with the shredded remains of her dress the only thing she had left to cling onto as she desperately sought out help. Thank God for Perry. Thank God for Bill Henderson. If Perry hadn’t forced Henderson to go looking for her there never would have been a need for Mrs. Cox to pull Lex off of her just when he was about to…

She shivered, not allowing her mind to wander down too far on what might have happened.
She sprung from the bed and made her way to the closet to grab a clean shirt. She quickly tossed the cotton tank shirt over her head, smoothing the fabric over the hidden scars and letting out a sigh of relief. She could feel her hands shaking as she ran her hands up and down the cotton fabric, reassuring herself the scars were covered.

She felt a lump in her chest as she let out a muffled cry, uncertain if Clark had left for work yet. She couldn’t let him see her like this. His first instinct would be to ask what was wrong and confessing the awful truth of what had happened all those months ago…what had almost happened to her was something she couldn’t bear to do.

Her legs began to waver as she sank down in the corner of the closet, burying her face in her hands as she tried to push the images of Lex’s taunting out of her mind. The tears ran down her cheeks one by one, as she swallowed back the hard lump of tears in her throat that threatened to become too much for her.

<<“You think I wouldn’t have a contingency plan, hmm? Your precious Superman? Gone. Your partner? Gone. Your career? You won’t be able to show your face anywhere without me knowing. I’ll make sure you never so much as edit a note on a post-it. You never should have crossed me.”>>

<<“That idiot Kent never could figure that out. I was always twelve steps ahead of him. I’m unstoppable.”>>

She could feel her hands clench into fists as she stared up at the ceiling, cursing fate once more for the hand she had been dealt. How long would she be forced to endure this torture of reliving the most painful moment of her life? How long would she have to sit here and bury her feelings when she knew all that needed to happen was for one conversation to take place between Clark and his parents. She certainly wasn’t going to be the one to tell Clark that she knew he was Superman. He’d already had so much change thrust on him what with losing his identity, his powers, and being forced to pretend to be married to her just months after they both had systematically crushed one another’s hearts into two. No, she would not be the one to tell him she knew he was Superman. He would have to tell her that on his own…or Martha would have to tell him.

‘If he ever calls them,’ she thought to herself in disgust. Almost two months now since his subsequent rescue and Clark still had yet to pick up the phone and at least give them some kind of confirmation that he was indeed alive and healthy. How she wished she had that luxury to pick up the phone and call her mother. How she’d ever taken for granted that simple freedom to call her family she’d never know. It all seemed so pointless now. The fights. The arguments. Looking back on it all now, she could see her mother’s constant nitpicking and need to know everything wasn’t her trying to control her but just how she showed that she cared. She felt so ungrateful as she recalled every conversation she’d taken for granted over the last year. She had allowed herself to become caught up in things that were so trivial. So what if her mother insisted on talking about her Aunt Marie’s hip surgery for an hour. So what if Lucy went on a tangent about her latest boyfriend. So what if her father had made mistakes. He was trying to mend their relationship now.

Tears ran down her cheeks and she let out a soft wail. Unless she brought Lex to justice she’d never have the chance to right the wrongs between them. She’d never have a chance to reclaim her life if Lex won. Determination washed over her and she smoothed her hands over her face, forcing herself to stand up and not give in to the fears that continued to haunt her in the middle of the night. She ran a hand across her face once more, before stepping out of her closet and into the bedroom that led into the hallway.

She was certain Clark had already left for the day. Nate and his crew usually picked him up by now. She made her way to the kitchen and spotted a note by the coffee maker where a fresh brew of coffee waited for her. A smile spread across her face as she looked at the note Clark had written.

‘Don’t make dinner plans-CK’

She felt the corners of her mouth twitch, uncertain what that was supposed to mean. Her mind drifted to the past few weeks with Clark. Though things had been rocky and strained at first she could tell at least to her they were getting closer. It was scary how comfortable they had become around one another. How easily they both had stepped into the roles that they desperately needed to keep up in order to survive.

<<“I’ve just really missed you,”>>

<<“I’m sorry,”

“For what?”

“For not believing you. I have a knack for getting in over my head and this time I’m so deep in I’m not even sure if I’ll ever get out. Anyway, I know you tried to warn me and like an idiot I didn’t believe you. I’m sorry.”

“You were able to see the truth eventually. That’s what matters.”>>

<<“Clark, what did they do to you?”>>

<<“We’re partners, right?”>>

<<"...no one’s ever made me pizza before.">>

Though they put on a good act for everyone. Standing close enough to one another to be believable as a couple and not reacting when the other referred to one another as ‘husband’ or ‘wife.’ It was strange how easily it rolled off her tongue. Here recently she found herself wondering just how far they would have to go to keep up the pretense. Neither of them had stepped into anything she would consider personal space for the other one, but she knew the more public appearances they made around town the more likely they might be put into such a situation.

Small towns had a knack for celebrating holidays in a way that forced you out of your comfort zone. After all, it was a small town that the mistletoe tradition was born. Clark kept accepting invitations to events with many of the guys he worked with and she played her part, pretending to be the happy newlywed wife when forced into the social outings of dinner or a movie. The longer she played the part the more she felt the blurring of the line between fact and fiction. Clark was the only person she interacted with on a day to day basis that called her by her name. She found herself seeking the name out, desperate to hear it uttered as a form of reaffirmation that Lois Lane still existed beneath the pretense of Leila Kane.

She’d sworn for so long that she wouldn’t allow herself to become involved with Clark unless he told her the truth. The problem with that logic was she was already involved. She had been from the moment she’d sought Martha out for help, up until she rescued him. There was no denying what was happening. She could fight it and pretend it wasn’t there all she wanted but the reality was she was in a losing battle with herself in a war that she’d already lost.

He hadn’t told her he was Superman, but he had trusted her enough to help him through some of the more difficult times. She wasn’t even sure Superman still existed after what Clark had been put through. She hadn’t seen any signs of his powers returning. It would be so tempting to just throw caution to the wind and give into the pent up emotions that had been rolling through her for the last few months. How easy would it be to pretend the act they both put on for everyone else was real?

She bit her lower-lip, uncertain what to make of the note Clark had left. The closer they had gotten over the last few weeks the harder it was to find the line between fact and fiction. In moments like this she wasn’t sure she wanted to.

Lex smoothed the back of his hand against the wrinkles on his Armani suit and reached across the seat for his mobile phone. He dialed the number on the card in his lap then listened to the static ring. A moment later a feminine voice answered the phone, “Lex, to what do I owe the pleasure?”

“Your honor, I’m afraid this is a business call,” Lex apologized.

“Lex, it’s been a month now,” she chastised. “One might begin to think you’re avoiding me.”

“Ignore a magnificent woman like yourself?” he responded smoothly, “Never,”

“Just don’t forget who it was that suggested your name for the Senate run to begin with,” she remarked darkly.

“Of course not, darling,” Lex reassured. “This is just a bit of business I have to handle out of town. Sometimes things need that personal touch. I’m sure you understand.”

“Of course,” she whispered in a sultry tone. “When will you be back in Metropolis?”

“I’ll call you as soon as we arrive,” he reassured, glancing up as Asabi drove past the sign welcoming them to Smallville Kansas.

The sweat poured down Clark’s back as he climbed down the fifty-foot ladder. It had been another grueling day of hard work in the sun. He could feel the redness in his face as he jumped down the last step, removing the hard hat from his head and shaking his sweat drenched hair as he made his way toward the table that was setup with bottles of water and ice chests.

“Catch!” Nate tossed him a bottle of water and he took it gratefully.

Clark nodded his thanks and poured the cold water on his head, allowing the cool liquid to pour down his face, neck and shoulders. The tan shirt he wore was covered in a mixture of body odor, perspiration, and water from the hard day’s work.

Nate walked up to him with a good natured smile on his face. David, one of the engineers walked up behind him. “We’re actually ahead of schedule.” David looked at his watch and added, “Go ahead and cut everyone loose for the day. I need to rework the budget with the contractors.”

“You never rest do you, Dave?” Nate chastised, placing a hand on his shoulder. “You know some of these guys do have something more than a bottle of bourbon and the late night reruns of ‘I Love Lucy.’

“It’s MacGyver, ” David corrected with a snort. “And I prefer my brewski to any bourbon.”

Nate let out a laugh, “Ah, yes, I forget David brews his own brand of beer.” He patted David on the shoulder and grinned at David, “You bringing the brew to the festival tomorrow?”

“Festival?” Clark asked, curiously.

“Fall festival the town holds every year,” David explained, handing him a flyer. “Come by, take the little missus out and knock a few back with pumpkin spice in everything.”

“You swore you wouldn’t do that again, Dave,” Mike, one of the laborers chastised, walking up behind them.

“I didn’t say the beer would taste like pumpkin spice,” David corrected. “Just everything else.”

Nate let out a jovial laugh and grinned, “Why don’t I believe you?”

“Because he burned the crap out of your nose last year,” Mike winked.

Clark let out a laugh as he took the flyer from David. Nate shook his head, “In all seriousness it is a lot of fun. I’m sure you newlyweds could use a night out.” He shot David a look, “Someone’s been working you like a dog here.”

Clark grinned, “I’ll think about it,” He took the flyer from him and glanced at the bright orange paper with pumpkins and bats on the printed page. In the center, ‘Fall Festival’ was printed in all caps. He wondered if Lois would even be interested in going given her apprehension about the Corn Festival.

LexLabs was dimly lit as Nigel made his way through the long corridor leading to the office of Dr. Emmet Vale. He was one of Lex Luthor’s most brilliant minds and he had just recently gone through a nasty divorce which made him broke and desperate. Two attributes Nigel loved to take advantage of whenever he could.

He had spent weeks searching for any of Lois Lane’s former colleagues and friends. Asabi had informed him of Lex Luthor’s visit to Perry White’s home in the south of Florida. He had searched high and low for anyone that might lead him to Lois Lane’s whereabouts but had come up dry. Mrs. Cox had dropped out of sight and he knew he would be soon to follow if he didn’t come up with some answers fast. What Lex Luthor was doing visiting Perry White of all people in person he wasn’t sure but he knew it couldn’t be good for him or Mrs. Cox.

Nigel flashed his security badge and the door opened, revealing the four large computers Dr. Vale was working on, “Bad time?”

“Whatever it is, I don’t have time,” Vale remarked not even bothering to look up from his computer, “Your boss has me pushing the limits of ‘Project K’ and …”

Nigel dropped a large stack of cash on the man’s keyboard, silencing him mid-sentence, “I believe you’ve forgotten who has been paying your bills for the last month, Dr. Vale,” Nigel smiled as Vale looked back at him nervously, “Don’t bite the hand that feeds you.”

“Look, like I said on the phone, I decoded a file that looked like some sort of log but there’s no names or anything so I don’t think…”

“Pull it up!”

Clark set the grocery bags down on the dining table next to a large manila envelope. Once a week he and Lois were checking for new information from Jimmy or Davenport in the PO Box outside of Greenville. It was a long drive but it helped keep anyone that might be tracking the PO Box that had been setup by Jimmy under an alias that couldn’t be traced to either the Kanes or his and Lois’ former aliases. The taxi rides were expensive but the return was worth it.

He glanced at the flyer Nate had given him before. A smile crossed his face as he recalled the time they spent together at the Corn Festival. Lois had stopped seeing him as just a colleague but a friend. By the end of the festival she’d let her guard down enough to enjoy the small town atmosphere. She’d even initiated dancing with him.

<<“Last year I had a girlfriend convince me it was a great way to meet guys.”

“Was it?”

“Define 'guys.'”>>

<<“I’m sorry,”

“For what?”

“For not believing you. I have a knack for getting in over my head and this time I’m so deep in I’m not even sure if I’ll ever get out. Anyway, I know you tried to warn me and like an idiot I didn’t believe you. I’m sorry.”

<<“You know, Clark, I've never seen you so... I don't know... so relaxed... so 'Clark.'”

“Well, that's who I am. Clark.”>>

<<“Clark, it’s okay, I’ve got you”>>

<<“Liar,”

“Excuse me?”

“I said, liar!”>>

<<“Not exactly what you had in mind, huh?”

“Let's see. So far I've been given a glimpse of ritual crop worship, been treated as your girlfriend, and insulted your parents. No, I couldn't have planned this.”>>

He also couldn’t resist the undeniable pull he continued to feel toward her. He had to know if she felt the same way. He took a deep breath, pulling the white paper covered ribeye steaks from the bag, followed by a bottle of Lois’ favorite wine. He no longer had an alter-ego to keep him from pursuing a relationship with her. He no longer had the threat of her finding out about his deception because there was no longer anything to give him away. He was normal—just like anyone else. A part of him hated that fact but instead of sulking about what he’d lost he decided he might as well embrace it.

Lex Luthor had won.

Superman was gone.

Clark Kent was gone.

All that was left was Collin Kane.

Lois let out a long sigh as she pulled into the carport, putting the truck into park. She grabbed her purse from the bench seat next to her and stepped out of the truck, slamming the door behind her. The smell of charcoal hung in the air and she looked up and saw smoke rising from the side of the house. Curious she skipped around to the side deck where she found Clark hard at work at the grill.

She smiled to herself, watching him sprinkle seasoning on the red meat that was currently sizzling over the hot irons of the grill. Steak was definitely a luxury item neither of them had had since leaving Metropolis. Truth be told they couldn’t afford it. The budget they were living on kept expensive meats and name brand food off the grocery list most of the time. Everything they had needed to go in savings to keep them afloat for if they had to move without notice.

Clark obviously felt things were secure enough to splurge tonight. “Smells good,” she finally said, approaching him from behind. “But aren’t those a bit out of budget?”

“Payday,” Clark responded, tapping the salt and pepper shaker over the meat that was on the grill. “We can afford it, Lois. I promise” He flashed her a broad smile and added, “Plus there will be plenty leftovers to last a few days too.”

“So what’s the occasion?” she asked, glancing over at the meat that continued to sizzle on the grill. “I mean, not that I’m not salivating at the idea of finally having a medium twelve-ounce steak after months of nothing but sandwiches, salads, and stir fry, but…”

Clark chuckled, leaning toward her with a chuckle as he flipped the steak on the grill. She could feel her mouth water, staring at the perfect sear he’d managed to get on the now brown exterior of the ribeye he was watching intently, “Maybe I wanted to be spontaneous,”

“Spontaneous?” she inquired curiously.

“Dinner should be ready soon,” he reassured her, “Why don’t you relax?” He pointed toward the door. “I picked up Jimmy’s latest package from the PO Box. We’ve got more information to dig into on Danny Malone.”

“Whatever hasn’t been redacted you mean,” Lois said with a groan, watching as he pulled the steaks off the grill. “It is really not fair that you can cook so well.”

“Why?” he asked, turning to face her with the plate of steaks now neatly wrapped in aluminum foil.

“You’re making me look bad,” she retorted half-jokingly.

“Oh come on,” he chuckled, “You did a great job with the stir fry the other night,”

“The pan was black,” Lois reminded him.

“And the vegetables were extremely well done,” he chuckled, walking toward the sliding glass door with the plate of steaks in his hand. He slid the door open for her.

“Anything to escape the dreaded sandwiches, huh?” she teased, stepping inside.

Her gaze shifted to the dining table where he had already set the table. Two long candlesticks were setup on opposite ends of the table. A bowl of mashed potatoes was in one large bowl, another had sautéed green beans, and finally there was a tray of baked macaroni and cheese on the far end. In the middle of the table was a small bucket of ice with a bottle of red merlot in it. She glanced at him as he set the steaks next to the bucket and pulled the cork out of the bottle with a cork screw. She stared at him for a long moment, uncertain what he was up to as he handed her a glass of red merlot.

“So, steak and wine?” she asked curiously.

“Well, we can’t really enjoy a good steak without wine,” he reasoned aloud, holding his glass up.

She recognized the label on the bottle as the brand she used to get in Metropolis. It had been a long time since she’d treated herself like this. She met his gaze for a moment, feeling her stomach turn upside down as the drowning sensation that had become all too familiar these days began to take over her. She was in trouble.

She took a sip of her merlot and claimed the seat across from him. “Well, let’s dig in,”

The exhaust from the public bus made Jack Davenport cringe. He’d gotten a tip on Mrs. Cox’s location here in D.C. but so far all he’d found was whispers and innuendos. He was beginning to think all it was was smoke and mirrors, but he still had one last lead to follow before he packed it up and met back up with Christina for B.D. Kahn’s testimony next week.

Then he saw her. The unmistakable profile that screamed Beverly Cox with striking short blonde hair in lieu of the brunette voluminous hair she once donned. He reached inside his jacket, gripping his sidearm as he surveyed the surrounding patrons on the city bus he was on. No one seemed out of place.

He watched as she tucked her bag beneath her arm and took a seat in the corner, just three seats away from him. He smiled as he saw the led light indicate the next stop was the Washington International Airport. He pulled his phone out of his pocket and dialed, “Hey, Talley? I’m going to need backup. Motherbird is trying to fly.”

Nigel scanned through the document in front of him, uncertain what to make of the log he had been given by Vale. The good doctor had been keeping records of unnamed patients and the only reason he could think of was to document treatments for people that didn’t want to be found. He let out a sigh and turned to Emmet Vale who was tapping away at his keyboard. He needed something to help narrow the list down. Any of these treatments could have been Lois Lane. Gunshot wounds. Stabbings. He needed something concrete.

“What about any luck on tracking Dr. Kahn on the dates I gave you?” Nigel asked, running a weary hand through his thinning hair.

“I’ve run the hard drive through everything I have but I’m not getting any hits. There’s no geocode anywhere in the system. The API system was completely overwritten—not uncommon for government issued computer, but you said this came from a civilian doctor…”

“There’s got to be something that can give us a clue,” Nigel argued, shaking his head.

“There was a weak signal outside of Greenville a few months ago, but nothing on the log matches up with that location.” Vale remarked with a grunt.

“Print all the locations near or around Greenville and cross reference it with a list of all known associations for these names,” Nigel pushed the pad he’d been jotting names down on toward Emmet Vale.

“Perry White, James Olsen, Lucy Lane, Sam Lane, Ellen Lane, Clark Kent…” Emmet Vale read the list aloud. “Isn’t Kent dead?”

“Just pull it up,” Nigel ordered.

Lois took a seat on the corner of the couch, reaching over to smooth the wrinkles on her shirt. Clark had been withdrawn through most of dinner. She hadn’t been sure what to expect when she arrived home. She’d been thrown through a loop when she found herself walking into an intimate dinner setting with wine, steak, and a chocolate mousse that she was sure would put some of the fine dining restaurants in Metropolis to shame. A part of her wondered if she’d inadvertently agreed to a date and not realized it with all the trouble he’d gone to.

The dinner had been out of this world and the company just as friendly as always. Her initial uncertainties disappeared as the night went on and now she found herself yet again fighting against her inner thoughts. Clark seemed to be having the same problem. She’d caught him a few times during dinner lost in thought during lulls in the conversation.

<<“I’m sorry,”

“For what?”

Things had certainly changed between them. She felt the unmistakable pull, tugging her unconsciously toward him each day. The closer they got the harder it was to resist. A flutter in her abdomen reminded her of his closeness as goosebumps rose on her arm. She ran her hand up and down her arm and turned back to him, leaning against his shoulder, “Thanks for dinner,”

Clark glanced across the couch to where Lois was curled up on the corner of the couch. He’d blown it. A romantic dinner with Lois’ favorite meal and wine had been the perfect opportunity to say what had been weighting on his mind but he lost his nerve. He couldn’t seem to find the courage to ask her if things had changed between them. He knew there was a very real possibility he might not ever get his answer if he waited too long but still he found himself frozen in place, unable to take that leap of faith and ask the question that had been hanging over him.

“Thanks for dinner,” Lois said, leaning her head against his shoulder.

He nodded, uncertain what to say. He wondered momentarily if Lois suspected there had been more to the dinner, but at the moment he was grateful she didn’t push the issue. He already felt like enough of a heel, unable to ask her a simple question without his brain freezing up and refusing to cooperate.

“What’s this?” Lois asked, taking the flyer that was sitting on top of the package he’d picked up from the PO Box earlier.

“Oh, yeah,” He cleared his throat recalling the invitation from his boss. “It’s a festival they’re having this weekend. I thought it might be worth checking out…if you’re interested.”

“As long as I don’t have to worry about Bureau 39 wannabes showing up,” Lois teased.

“I can’t guarantee anything, but given Trask is gone and no one’s heard from any of his fellow agents I think we’re safe,” Clark joked, brushing a strand of hair out of her eyes.

She smiled back at him and he wondered momentarily what would happen if he tried to kiss her. His heart lurched in his chest at the idea, uncertain if he could take the possible rejection. Then she moved closer, placing a hand on his chest, “If there are caramel apples involved, I’m game.”

A smile curled across his lips, recalling her confession for her love of caramel apples. The warmth from her hand resonated through him as he fought the internal battle with himself. He could sit here and bury his feelings or he could take a leap of faith and act on the emotions he struggled to keep hidden.

“In my experience no Fall Festival is complete without caramel apples.” He finally spoke, pulling his hand back.

“And when is this?” Lois asked.

“Tomorrow,” he responded, letting out a sigh. “I’m told there will be home brewed beer to sample as well.”

Lois made a face, “That could be dangerous.”

“I think that’s the idea,” he chuckled.

Wayne Irig spotted the dark black town car pulling into the drive as he was finishing up the afternoon’s chores at the Kent farm. Martha had insisted someone might come looking for them but the idea of someone trying to harm the Kents seemed preposterous. He of course had agreed to take care of things while they were gone. What kind of neighbor would he be if he didn’t?

Still, when he saw the town car pull into the drive he immediately flashed back to the morning on his farm when his property had been swarmed with agents posing as the EPA to ‘cleanse’ his property after his discovery of a certain meteorite that Jonathan still to this day wouldn’t talk about. Wayne reached the top of the steps, leading to the farmhouse and grabbed his rifle that was leaning against the door where he’d left it.

A man in a dark suit and thin brown hair stepped out of the driver’s side and turned to the rear passenger side door to open the door. Wayne gripped the barrel of his rifle, preparing himself for who might be behind the door. To his surprise, out stepped none other than Lex Luthor.

Lex Luthor wore a custom pair of shades and his entire wardrobe probably cost more than he ever saw in a year. A smile smoothed across his face as Lex approached Wayne. “Yes, hello, I’m hoping you can help us.” He gestured back to the man standing behind him. Wayne saw the hint of something in the man’s pocket reflect off the strong sun’s rays glimmering a blinding light toward him. He was definitely armed.

“That depends,” Wayne commented carefully as Lex reached the top step to the farmhouse.

“I’m looking for a Jonathan and Martha Kent,” Lex said smoothly.

“Not here,” Wayne replied gruffly.

A frown crossed Lex Luthor’s face and he remarked, “I see,” There was a silence before he turned toward Wayne and asked, “Any idea when they might return?”

“Didn’t ask,” Wayne responded with a smile.

Lex took a step toward him, “Mister….”

“Irig. Wayne Irig,” he supplied.

“Mr. Irig, you wouldn’t be holding information out on me, would you?” Lex asked, taking another step toward him.

Wayne scowled back at him and let out a snort, “Even if I did know where the Kents were why on earth would I tell you, Mr. Luthor?”

A look of recognition crossed his face and Lex retorted darkly, “If you know who I am then you must certainly know how influential I am in these parts.” His chest puffed out smugly as he added, “I hear the crop season isn’t doing so well this year. It’d be a shame for the bank to foreclose on your property, Mr. Irig,”

Wayne took a step toward him and let out a laugh, “Unlike many people around here I actually own my property, lock stock and barrel. In fact, your bank has to pay me each month because of that plant you decided to open on part of my property.” He felt a small thrill run through him as he added, “You might be used to getting your way by threatening everyone with your purse strings but it ain’t working this time. Now unless you have something of value to discuss I’d highly suggest you leave unless you want to play a game of chicken with the end of this barrel here.” He patted the rifle in his hands happily. “I must warn you I ain’t missed a shot once and I don’t intend to start now.”

The smell of exhaust hit Clark’s nostrils as they rode down the steep hill in Mike’s makeshift hayride. The back of the pickup had straw littered on the inside for the hayride feel. Unfortunately, it wasn’t the soft grass hay that was normally in the hay rides he’d been on in Kansas. It was the coarse barley hay that pricked every inch of exposed skin. A fact he’d become painfully aware of as he rode down the hill with Lois and a few of the neighbors.

The sun had been noticeably present during the day so he’d opted for a pair of cargo shorts and a t-shirt. Lois surprisingly had dressed more appropriate for the hayride, wearing a long jean skirt and green blouse. He admittedly had stolen more than just a glance when the sharp turns had slid her leg up, revealing their smoothness from the long slit in her skirt. At the moment he found the current seating arrangements to be a combination of torture and bliss as she leaned her head back against him.

“I swear he’s got to be doing at least fifty on these turns,” Lois commented, gripping his knee as they took a sharp left. “I don’t remember the hayride in Smallville being nearly this uncomfortable.”

His arm hung across her waist, helping prevent her from sliding across the bed of the truck. Next to them were a few of the others that had caught a ride down the narrow hill into town for the festival. “Barley hay and hay rides definitely don’t mix,” he commented, holding up a golden strand.

She gave him a sympathetic smile, “I forget I’m talking to the expert in hay grains.”

“Grass hay is much more comfortable,” he said, tightening his grip on her waist as they took a right down a long rocky road.

“Not as prickly, huh?” Lois picked up the strand of straw and teased the side of his face with it.

As they turned the corner Lois gripped his knee to keep from sliding across the bed of the pickup and into any of the other passengers as the mixture of apple, cinnamon and pumpkin reached his nostrils. He looked up and saw the large white banner billowing in the warm wind as the truck pulled into the grass near the entrance.

The normally quiet street was now littered with booths, rides, and a crowd of orange, yellow, and brown. The sound of the screeching of the speakers being set up on the corner lot could be heard and he winced as the high pitched sound hit his ears.

“Looks like they’re just setting everything up,” Lois commented, turning her head to look back at him as Mike parked the truck.

The sweltering sun was already making its presence known as Nigel St. John took a deep breath of the dry air. He looked around the shopping center where cars were already beginning to take their place amid the gray and white asphalt that wore a tan cover beneath the sand and dirt. The light dusting of sand and dirt ground beneath his feet as he crossed the parking lot toward a small shop with the name ‘Marie’s’ hanging on the green awning above the glass door. A woman in her mid-fifties was unlocking the door, holding a large tote bag and a red purse on her shoulder.

Nigel immediately recognized the woman from the photos he’d pulled up from the DMV. He held up his hand as he took the step on the sidewalk so he was standing in front of Marie Olsen. “Mrs. Olsen, so nice to see you out so early.”

She stopped, looking up at him with a peculiar expression on his face, “I’m sorry, do I know you?”

“No,” Nigel shook his head, “We haven’t had the pleasure, but I do know James.” Her face tensed and Nigel then amended, “Jimmy,”

She pursed her lips as she sized him up and down, “Well, if you hear from him maybe you can tell him to call his old mother?”

“Or maybe you can have him call me,” Nigel pressed, taking a step toward her placing his hand on the door and preventing her from opening it. “Your son is in a lot of trouble with a lot of dangerous people, Mrs. Olsen.”

“Who are you?” she demanded angrily.

“Someone with a lot of power and a lot of influence when it comes to your son,” Nigel said simply, removing his hand from the door.

“He’s missing,” she replied flatly.

He could tell she was lying. “Why don’t I believe you?”

A voice came from behind him, “Hey, Marie, you open yet?”

She glared back at Nigel, “If you’ll excuse me, I have customers to tend to.”

Nigel straightened up, adjusting his jacket as he pulled out a card, “If you hear from Mr. Olsen again have him call me. It’ll be better for me to find him than someone else,”

Lois glanced around the crowded street, taking in the sights, smells and sounds as she and Clark followed Mike and his girlfriend, Tonya toward the Ferris wheel that was lit up, letting out a burst of wind with each turn. The music playing from the band on stage kept a small crowd around the stage dancing. The line of booths serving the festival treats that taunted them with their sweet scents.

All in all, it had been easy to forget the impending danger that lurked around the corner and just enjoy the day. She glanced in front of her to where Tonya and Mike were in front of them, stealing kisses between one another as one of the guys from Nate’s crew, David popped the top of the home brewed beer.

Lois looked away, trying to give the couple some semblance of privacy. She felt a hand on her shoulder and glanced behind her to where Clark was standing. His hand moved down her shoulder to her elbow, sending a warmth through her. She felt a flutter inside her, turning back to where Tonya and Mike were still wrapped in one another’s arms. It was moments like this that made the pretense hard. Trying to stand close enough or share gestures that made their supposed marriage believable among those around them.

For the most part Lois liked Tonya. Unlike some of the other people she and Clark had spent time with Tonya wasn’t one to partake in the local gossip which was refreshing. She wasn’t sure how she felt exactly about the small town and the group of friend Clark had acquired for them. Many were loud and obnoxious at times but seemed to have a good heart. The town itself was different from Metropolis. It was quiet and out of the way which helped when staying off the radar. But she missed the excitement of the city and the thrill that came from chasing criminals, instead of being the one chased.

“Man, get a room!” David teased, setting four brown bottles with a blue and white label in front of them.

“Just cuz you’re a lonely scrooge doesn’t mean the rest of us have to be,” Mike shot back good naturedly.

Lois bit back a laugh, uncertain what to make of the stern expression on David’s face. She glanced back at Clark who was chuckling at the banter between David and Mike.

“If the newlyweds can keep it PG in public so can you,” David retorted with a snort, passing the open bottle to Lois. “Best brewski you’ll ever have this side of the Mississippi. Stake my life on it.”

Mike gave Clark a pleading look, “You see what I have to put up with from this guy?”

Clark shrugged his shoulders, picking up a bottle, “I’m just standing here, man,”

Mike picked up a bottle and eyed it warily, “You swear you didn’t put anything weird in it this time?”

“Never gonna live that down am I?” David asked, throwing his head back to take a big gulp of his own beer.

“I still can’t eat pumpkin pie without thinking about it,” Mike reminded him.

“Just shut up and drink it,” David ordered.

“Bottom’s up,” Mike held his beer up before taking a drink.

Jimmy sat at his laptop, scrolling through the articles he’d found on Dr. Emmet Vale. He seemed to be at the top of his game. Cutting edge research into robotics and weapons that would revolutionize the way the military fought wars—if that was indeed what this research was going toward. The patent Emmet Vale had filed referenced military contracts and LexLabs as the benefactor of the weapon he had filed the patent on.

It was a clear link back to LexLabs but given Lex Luthor’s strong ties to Metropolis and his position within LexCorp that still left a large leap in order to connect this patent to the former Man of the Year of Metropolis. His brow furrowed as he looked through the paperwork. He was missing something. He knew it.

A hand tapped Jimmy on the shoulder and he jumped, turning to see Bill Henderson standing behind him, “Man, don’t do that!”

Bill Henderson gave him a smirk, “You’re the one that came back into the lion’s den without a plan.”

“I can’t get a response from Dr. Sayer,” Jimmy grunted. “I figured the direct approach would be better.”

“Does Perry know you’re here?” Henderson asked.

“Jack will tell him,” Jimmy said, reaching for his cup of luke warm coffee. “You hear anything from Davenport or Wallace?”

“I know we’ve got a witness that can connect Nigel to a hit on their doctor, B.D. Kahn,” Henderson shrugged. “Other than that it’s been pretty quiet.”

“Yeah, I think Lois knows more than we do at this point,” Jimmy agreed.

There was a silent lull between them and Henderson spoke up, “She doing okay?”

“As well as can be expected I guess,” Jimmy shrugged. “Not easy living your life on the run.”

“No, it isn’t,” Henderson agreed with a sigh, “But for what it’s worth I think those days are numbered.” He set a photo down in front of him. It was a dark town car with a blurry photo of a man in black standing next to Lex Luthor in a rural setting.

“What’s this?” Jimmy asked.

“I got a call from a Wayne Irig from Smallville, Kansas.” Henderson explained. “We picked up this photo from a local gas station out there. Seems Luthor is trying to find the Kents. Not sure why.” He then added with a solemn expression, “A few weeks ago he made a visit to Perry and Alice’s place.”

“I know,” Jimmy said with a scowl. “Jack and I were lucky we had already left to meet Gordon.”

“He’s getting sloppy.” Henderson mused, “Whatever his reason for wanting to talk to the Kents is—This is personal for Luthor. He wouldn’t make the visit himself unless it was something he’d invested a lot of time and a lot of energy into.”

“Yeah,” Jimmy nodded, feeling uncomfortable under the detective’s gaze. Lois had sworn him to secrecy on his help in rescuing Clark. Henderson had been given a brief detail that Clark had been found alive. He hadn’t been told how. He hadn’t been told any of what Lois had done in order to rescue Clark. She’d been concerned he might try to stop her or try to include Clark in the case against Luthor. Now it seemed the detective was putting the pieces together. He knew it would only be a matter of time. Still, Jimmy remained silent, unwilling to break the promise he’d made to his friends.

“So what do you think would make Lex Luthor go all the way to Smallville, Kansas of all places?” Henderson asked, narrowing his eyes at Jimmy.

“Don’t know,” Jimmy shrugged, “I guess like you said he’s getting desperate.”

Thankfully the phone in his pocket chose that moment to ring. Jimmy rustled the inside pocket, searching for the phone before pulling it out. The loud chirp filled the room and Jimmy glanced around the semi-crowded library he was in. “Hello?”

“Is that….?” Henderson asked at the same time Jimmy heard his mother’s voice on the other end of the phone.

“Jimmy?”

Lois Lane was drunk. She stumbled out of the back of the pickup truck with an equally inebriated Clark Kent. Tonya called out from the passenger window, “Bye you two!” The sound of the engine roaring as the truck continued up the hill made Lois jump and she turned to face the long driveway.

Clark placed his hands on her shoulders, smoothing his palms down her arms and joining them around her waist in half loop. She let out a soft sigh as her back pressed against him. He was too close. Unbearably close but if he let go she knew she might fall. She stared at the rotating driveway in front of her with a frown.

“This is…not a good idea,” Lois slurred out. She was drunk. She knew it. The hill leading up to the driveway kept swerving back and forth.

“It’s just a hill,” Clark mumbled in her ear, pointing to the tall incline in front of them.

A shiver ran down her spine as Clark pulled her closer, tightening his grip around her waist. She could smell the liquor on his breath. A warm sensation washed over her as his palms fumbled down her side. She knew there was a reason she should pull away from him but the reason escaped her thoughts in that moment.

“A tall hill,” She let out a shaky breath as she began to make her way up the dreaded hill in front of her.

Clark leaned in closer, “It’s not so bad,”

“Forever the optimist,” she remarked, letting out a low moan as she felt her ankles waver from beneath her. Her balance as the incline increased began to decrease and she fell back against Clark.

“You okay?” he asked, catching her before she could hit the pavement.

She let out a nervous giggle, looking up at him and responding, “Never better.”

“A man was here.” The voice of Marie Olsen echoed inside the headset Nigel St. John was listening to. “He was looking for you and he didn’t look like he was trying to trade comic books if you know what I mean,”

“Are you all right?” Jimmy’s voice came on the line.

“I’m fine, but I’m telling you that man is up to something,”

Nigel looked down at the screen in front of him, watching in amazement as the location for Jimmy Olsen pulled up an address for Metropolis University. “Looks like our young Mr. Olsen is looking to further his education.” He turned to Emmet Vale, “Can you get the number he’s calling from?”

“Got it,” Emmet Vale pulled up the number and tapped at the keys on the keyboard, “It’s a pay as you go phone so you don’t have much flexibility on tracking.”

“Can you tap the line and find out who he’s calling?” Nigel asked.

“I can get the numbers,” Emmet nodded, tapping away at the keyboard and the call log pulled up for the phone Jimmy Olsen was using. “No names or anything but it looks like all of these but the last call made were all pay as you go phones.”

“So I wonder which one she is,” Nigel mused aloud.

“Pardon?” Emmet asked.

“Nevermind,” Nigel shrugged, pointing to the screen, seeing the green icon next to one of the numbers, “He’s calling someone.”

Emmet tapped into the call and Nigel heard Jimmy Olsen’s voice on the voicemail, “Lois, you and CK better have a really good reason for not answering the phone. Give me a call when you get this. This is an emergency!”

“Where is this call going to?” Nigel asked, tapping at the screen.

“I can ping the nearby cell tower,” Emmet Vale remarked, “It’ll get you within a ten-mile radius of whoever he contacts,”

“That’s all I need,” Nigel said darkly.

TBC…

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube