Testing A Theory
Folc4evernaday
Chapter 9

‘Something is wrong,’ Lois thought to herself as she stole a glance at her husband for the umpteenth time. She had removed his hand from her lap at least half a dozen times since they’d taken their seats in the corner of the room. She was doing her best to focus on taking notes but that was proving to be more difficult a task than usual with her husband deciding now would be a great time to be handsy.

“Stop it,” Lois whispered, knowing full well he could hear her before she shot a glare at him. She caught a glimpse of that look and quickly looked away before he could try and tempt her.

‘Bad idea. Very bad idea,’ she reminded herself. Her gaze shifted to Cat who wore a smug expression on her face. Something was definitely not right with Clark, and she didn’t know how but she suspected Cat was behind this behavior change.

She suppressed a gasp in her throat when she felt her husband’s hand wrap around hers, guiding her hand up her skirt. She clamped her knees closed, taking his hand and removing it once more. She took in a sharp breath, ‘Focus.’

“We need to get out of here,” Clark’s husky tone tickled her eardrums, and she bit her lower lip, feeling goosebumps rise up all over. Her eyes widened as his hand massaged her nylon covered thigh.

She pushed his hand away. “Stop.” Her warning came out less convincing than she intended and she caught a smirk that spread across his face. “We’re in the middle of …” Just to be sure he wouldn’t try the motion again she kept a firm grip on his hand.

She stole another glance toward Cat who wore a satisfied grin on her face. ‘She is so dead.’

Cat watched with a satisfied grin as Lois and Clark entered Perry’s office after the staff meeting. Clark was obviously focused on anything but work at the moment as Lois kept swatting his hands off her rear.

“What a waste,” Cat muttered to herself as she made her way back to her desk. It was apparent the mixture of red kryptonite and pheromones had done the trick on Clark Kent. Now all she had to do was wait for Superman to go into action and make sure Lois Lane was around so she could prove once and for all that Clark Kent and Superman were one and the same.

Lois did her best to remain calm and collected, but she was finding it challenging to feign control when her husband and partner kept whispering in her ear and looking at her like that. She took a deep breath as she closed the door to Perry’s office, preparing to discuss what had happened outside the Planet earlier.

Perry wore an amused expression as Lois crossed her arms over her chest. He wasn’t an idiot. She knew he was probably laughing on the inside at her weak attempts to pretend like her husband wasn’t trying to feel her up every two seconds.

“So, this Barry Dunning character was prowlin’ again, eh?” Perry’s face turned sour as he placed a hand on his forehead, the concern on his face masked the amusement that had been there moments ago.

“Yeah, Clark caught them outside the entryway,” Lois explained, keeping a firm grip on Clark’s hand in a weak attempt to stop his wandering hands.

She was in trouble. She knew it. Thankfully Perry remained silent on the very public and overly friendly behavior Clark was exhibiting. She needed to get to the bottom of what was causing him to act like this.

She couldn’t take him to Dr. Klein like this. He was Superman’s doctor, not Clark Kent’s. Still, she had to do something. No way could she let him go on any Superman rescues like this. Not that he seemed focused on his Superman duties at the moment.

“I’ll give the boys upstairs a ring and see what our options are,” Perry responded with a gruff grunt. “In the meantime, just refrain from giving them anything. No need to give them anything to run with if you know what I mean.”

“That may be easier said than done,” Lois shot a glance toward Clark.

“Well, just do your best.” Perry sighed.

‘Oh, God,’ she bit her lower lip when she felt Clark’s hand free itself from her grasp and move down her backside once more.

She was in trouble.

“We will,” Lois said hurriedly, reaching behind her to grab Clark’s hand by the wrist, stopping it from moving any further. “Uh, thanks, Chief,”

Before Perry could respond she had Clark by the elbow, dragging him out of the office, “You need to practice some of that oh, so lacking control and patience…You’re going to get both of us fired if you don’t quit it.”

“Perry’s not going to fire us,” Clark leaned in, capturing her mouth with his in a distractingly passionate kiss that made her weak in the knees.

‘I am going to kill Cat Grant,’ her mind screamed as his hands moved up and down her spine. Any other time she would have been oh so willing to partake in anything he was suggesting. It would be so easy to take a long lunch and take advantage of the adventurous mood Clark was in, but the problem was she knew he wasn’t himself.

“Let’s get out of here,” Clark whispered, running his hand down her backside.

“We just got here,” Lois argued, feeling a pang in her gut as he backed her into the corridor leading to the supply closet.

“An hour and a half ago,” Clark argued, running his hands up and down her sides. “Come on, we’re not going to get any work done today.”

“Not if you keep doing that,” Lois argued, removing his hands from her sides. “What has gotten into you?”

“Nothing,” he whispered, running his hands down the length of her arms and joining his hands with hers. “God, you’re gorgeous.” He whispered, leaning into her. She could feel her senses go on high alert as he leaned closer.

‘So not fair,’ she thought to herself.

“Clark, you’re not making this easy,” she let out a low moan as his lips brushed against her earlobe.

“Making what easy?” he asked.

“We need to continue this conversation somewhere a bit less…”

She let out a moan and Clark reached behind her, opening the door to the storage closet and guiding her inside. “Better?” he asked, closing the door behind them.

“Honey, please stop. We really don’t have time to…” She let out a low moan as his lips moved down the curve of her throat. “Oh, God, that’s not fair.”

“I could fly us home,” Clark suggested, moving her hands up above her head, pinning them against the wall behind them as he stared back at her. “It wouldn’t take more than a few seconds to get us there…”

She let out a low moan as his breath hit the outside of her ear. She felt goosebumps rise on her skin and a jolt run down her spine. She was in so much trouble.

“Clark, honey, look at me…” she attempted to get him to focus.

He lifted his head and looked back at her, “What is it, baby?”

“You are not…yourself,” she managed to squeak out as he leaned closer, releasing his grasp on her hands. She moved her hands to cup both sides of his face, forcing him to look at her. “Something isn’t right here and…”

“I’m fine,” his hands moved down to her waist, down her backside and over the back of her thighs. “I’ve never felt better.”

“Clark,” she groaned, feeling the tension between her legs growing. This would not end well. “I need you to focus.”

“I am,” he grinned, leaning in to kiss her.

She felt a flutter in her abdomen and groaned. “No, no, no, not that.” She let out a low moan as his hands moved up the back of her skirt. “You started acting strange this morning…before the staff meeting. What were you doing?”

“Not what I want,” his gaze wandered down her body for a moment.

“Clark, please,” she grabbed his wrists, stopping them in place. “I need you to focus on what happened this morning.”

He let out a sigh and moved his hands to her waist, wrapping his arms securely around her torso. “You’re not going to let this go, are you?”

“Nope,” Lois smiled, relieved to see a glimmer of some normalcy from her husband’s behavior. “Now, this morning you were fine …and then you weren’t.”

“I’m still fine,” he argued.

“That’s debatable.” She shot back, arching her eyebrow at him and giving him the ‘spill it’ expression.

“I don’t know.” He sighed, “I was reading over that report on Warden what’s-his-face and…”

“Then you flew out of the newsroom and left papers flying all over the place.” Lois pointed out in a harsh whisper. “Do you realize how badly that could have ended?”

“I just needed to get out of the office. I went for a flight around the block. No big deal,” he responded.

“You could have blown your…” she stopped herself, realizing she was getting off topic. “Okay, so you were reading a report on Warden Baker.”

“Yeah, so?” he shrugged, unimpressed with the information she was trying to confirm with him. He leaned in closer, running his hands against her sides. “I can think of a lot better use of our time than talking about that old Scrooge.”

“Then you started acting strange?” Lois prompted, doing her best to ignore the effect his touch was having on her.

“What exactly is strange about how I’m acting?” he asked, leaning into her. “I’ve always enjoyed touching you like this…” His hands moved to the back of her thighs, inching his fingertips just past the hem of her skirt. “And kissing you like this.” He illustrated his point by capturing her lips with his, and she let out a low moan. He wore a satisfied grin as he stared back at her, his eyes dark with desire. “I can’t help it if I’m deliriously happy and want to show it.”

“Oh, Clark, that’s sweet, but…”

“No buts…” Clark’s mouth found hers, and his hands moved to her face, tracing the frame of her jaw as he deepened the kiss. “Come on, you know you want to get out of here just as bad as I do.” He murmured against her lips. His hands moved up and down her sides suggestively. “You want me as bad as I want you.”

“That’s not the point,” Lois argued half-heartedly against him. “Just try and focus please.” She pleaded with him. “Something obviously has affected you. Did you feel any effects from Kryptonite?”

“Nope,” his lips wandered down the curve of her throat, and she let out a gasp.

“Stop.” It took all her willpower to say the single word, and her body was screaming in protest as the word hung in the air.

“Are you sure?” he asked, lifting his head and cupping her cheek.

“Yes,” she whispered, placing her hand over his. “There will be plenty of time for…this later.” She felt a hitch in her throat as she spoke and continued, “But right now we have to figure out…” She reached for the door behind her, turning the knob.

“Figure out what?” he asked.

“Things,” was all her brain could supply her with as she darted out of the supply closet at record-breaking speed and headed toward her desk.

Cat chuckled to herself when she saw Lois Lane bristle past her and head toward her desk. She took note of the rumpled appearance of the ace reporter and couldn’t help but laugh to herself. A few moments later Clark Kent followed, readjusting his tie, returning to his desk.

It was obvious the perfume, and red kryptonite had done the trick but she’d yet to prove Superman had also been affected. Surely something would come up that required the man of steel’s attention. When it did, she’d make sure Lois Lane was front and center to ensure the uncontrollable behavior her husband was currently displaying was captured from the man of steel as well.

“Jimmy?” she heard Lois call for the young photographer.

Jimmy Olsen wore an amused expression as he did his best not to make eye contact with either Clark or Lois when he was called over to Lois’ desk. Lois’ disheveled appearance and Clark’s lopsided grin made it obvious what the two of them had been doing just moments ago…in the supply closet no less.

He stared at the ground for a moment before finally summing up the courage to look Lois in the eye, “Hey guys, what’s up?”

“I need you to run a background check on someone.” She handed him a sheet of paper and Jimmy took it.

His eyes widened as he read the name aloud, “Barry Dunning?” His eyes sparkled, and he prompted, “The talk show host?”

“I’ve got a hunch is all,” Lois said hurriedly, not explaining any further.

Jimmy thought for a moment about asking why but decided not to press the issue when he saw Lois’ expression. “Okay,” he headed back to his desk. “I’ll let you know what I find.”

STAR Labs research department was filled with cubicles of miniature labs. Each quadrant of cubicles had an office leading up to it with a small narrow door. Inside was the head researcher, Irwin Johnson stood confidently behind his desk, staring at the beautiful blonde and her voluptuous features.

His eyes wandered up and down the heart-shaped ‘v’ of her top, giving him a perfect view of the cleavage that was threating to topple out of her low-cut top. “I thought you’d like the head’s up. I know you take a personal interest in these kinds of special projects.”

“Yes, Pookie,” She ran a long finger against his cheek. “I can’t tell you how much I appreciate this little tidbit.” She looked toward the bag with the single glowing red stone in it.

“Oh, I can imagine,” his gaze shifted downward once more, and she smiled, catching his gaze.

“Shall I show you?”

“Uh…” he began to stammer, uncertain how to respond until she pulled out a white pearl revolver. “Wait, wait, no!”

“I never was good at picking out gifts.”

Warden Baker stared at the coverage from the tape William McCoy brought him, listening to what had been uncovered. Lane and Kent were investigating him. It was only a matter of time before they put two and two together.

“I think it’s time we showed Lane and Kent just how deadly it is to come in Intergang’s crosshairs, don’t you, McCoy?” Baker mused, tapping his hand against his chin.

“I’d say that can be arranged,” McCoy responded, taking a long drag from his cigarette.

“Get it done before we have the police show up on our doorstep,” Baker ordered.

Lois flipped through the contents of Clarks’ desk, looking for anything that might be a clue for why he was acting so strange. ‘Think, think, think…’ She took a seat and let out a sigh of defeat, “Nothing.”

“I told you I’m fine.” He insisted, taking her hand in his. A sly grin crossed his face, and he whispered, “What to do you say we take the afternoon off and ditch this place? We could take a flight out to the Tropics and get some sun and…”

At that moment, Jimmy walked up with a stack of files in his hands. “Do you have any idea how expensive those flights are, CK? Just one ticket is sure to break the bank.”

Clark opened his mouth to respond, and she quickly cut him off, “Exactly. See? It’s expensive.”

“Oh come on, since when do you turn down a flight with…?” Clark began to ask, and she reached over to silence him by grabbing ahold of the one part of him she knew wasn’t invulnerable.

“Metropolis Airlines? Never! But you have to admit it’s really not a good time.” She laughed nervously the distraction was enough. Clark opened his mouth to respond but quickly closed it when her hand ran up his inner thigh, silencing any further protest for the moment.

She felt the hair stand on the back of her neck when her palm brushed against the sensitive flesh that was rapidly hardening beneath her touch. ‘Crap’ He let out a short groan, his train of thought lost, and she quickly removed her hand before she could give too much thought into what she’d started.

She turned to Jimmy who was staring at her with a perplexed expression on his face. “Uh, what do you have there, Jimmy?”

“Right, everything I could find on Barry Dunning. Something interesting…” He handed her the file. “Turns out he didn’t even exist until three years ago.”

“Really?” Lois’ eyes widened at the implication. “How’d he end up with his own talk show?” She suppressed a groan when she felt the presence of her husband’s hand against her inner thigh. ‘Not good. Not good.’

How was she going to make it through the day with him continually pawing at her like this? She inched closer to the desk, feeling goosebumps rise on her skin as his hand snaked its way further and further up the length of her thigh. She stole a glance toward him, groaning when she saw he looked cool and collected.

“Don’t know,” Jimmy shrugged. “I did find something interesting about his employer though. William McCoy, the media mogul.”

“Wha-What about him?” Lois asked, hearing the slight rise in her voice as her husband’s fingertips moved up her legs, sending a pulsing sensation down her spine. ‘This is bad. And so very good.’ She felt his fingertips brush against the edge of her panties and her eyes widened, clamping her legs closed and crossing her arms over her chest in an effort to hide what her husband’s magical digits were doing to her.

“From what I’m able to gather McCoy’s been rumored to be involved in a lot of shady business. Blackmail schemes, armed robbery heists, you name it. Problem is no one can point anything directly to him.” Jimmy explained with a defeated sigh. “I’ve got a search running to see if I can find anything in our system to match with the rumored dates. Figure if we at least have something tangible it might help.”

“Great,” Lois gave him a broad smile, tightening her thighs together and trying to prevent her husband’s hand from wandering any further up her skirt. She was in trouble. Big trouble.

“No sweat,” Jimmy said good-naturedly. He spotted a file on the floor and reached down to hand it to her. “Here, looks like you dropped this.”

Lois glanced at the file, taking it from him. “Background check on Baker. I might need that. Thanks, Jimmy,” She said hurriedly, feeling a pleasurable haze wash over her. She let out a low moan when she felt her legs give way to the demands of her husband’s digits against her. Who was she kidding? After six months of marriage, he knew every button to press to make her melt in his arms.

“Let’s get out of here,” her husband’s husky voice whispered in her ear.

She knew there was a reason why not to but at that moment, staring into his dark eyes filled with desire for her she couldn’t think of one. “Yes,” She found herself whispering.

‘Oh, no,’ Cat watched Jimmy hand, Lois Lane, the file that had fallen off of Clark Kent’s desk. She had completely forgotten to take it back. She watched in despair as Lois Lane’s behavior almost immediately changed once the file was in her hand. A few short moments later the couple headed to the elevator, oblivious to everything around them.

Cat groaned, walking toward the desk Clark and Lois had just vacated. She placed a hand on her nose, ensuring the nose plugs she’d put in earlier were still in place. Finally, she spotted the file she was looking for and reached for it.

“Hey, whatcha doing?” Ralph’s loud voice came from behind her, and she let out a groan.

“Oh, nothing,” Cat said hurriedly, heading back to her desk.

“You sneaky little dog, you,” Ralph teased, grabbing the file from her hand. “You know Perry tends to frown on reporters borrowing information like this.”

“I’m just looking for a connection to a story I’m running. I was going to give it right back.” Cat said, watching in despair as Ralph flipped through the file.

“You working on something I’m not aware of?” He gave her a sly grin, “You know politics is supposed to be my turf.”

“I’m sure it is, but this is out of your league, Ralph,” Cat retorted with an irritated growl.

“Am I out of your league?” Ralph asked, handing the file back to her and giving her a leering stare.

‘Oh, no,’

Lois Lane opened her mouth to cry out, and Clark Kent silenced her with a soul-shattering kiss. She moaned against him. Her hands ran down his back, exploring the powerful muscles beneath her fingertips as they lost themselves in one another’s arms.

He felt a piercing pain run through his head as he came back to himself and let out a low moan, “Oh, God,” He felt the intoxicating haze that had been enveloping him for most of the morning lift and let out a soft moan as he buried his face in her neck, cradling her in his arms as he fell to the ground with her in his arms.

“Clark?” he heard her whisper, shaking his shoulder as she hovered over him.

Something had happened. He couldn’t remember how he’d gotten here. His gaze shifted to Lois who was looking at him in concern. “I love you,” He murmured, uncertain what to say. It was obvious what they’d been doing but how they’d gotten here still remained elusive.

“I love you too,” she whispered, running her hand across his cheek.

There it was again, the piercing pain through his eyelids. He let out a low moan. “Clark?” he heard Lois whisper. He wanted to respond, but all he could focus on was the pain in his head as jagged memories rose back up and flooded through his mind.

Samantha looked over her shoulder as she made her way through the corridor leading to her prison cell. She just had to make it a few more days and then she'd have her court hearing. Hopefully, Cat will have found something by then to get her released.

She was innocent.

'All this for a lousy raise,' she thought to herself gloomily.

She could swear she heard something behind her. She turned to look but saw nothing out of the ordinary. "Pull yourself together, Sam," she told herself.

She approached the door to her cell, and a loud buzz could be heard as the door opened. She quickly stepped inside, sighing in relief when the door closed.

"Quite jittery aren't we?" a voice came from the corner of the small room she was in.

"You!" Samantha accused in surprise, seeing the blonde haired woman that had offered to get her out of this hell hole. It would have been so easy to do it but from what she'd gathered trusting this woman was not something to be done lightly.

"I'm disappointed in you, Samantha," she replied coolly. "I thought we had a deal. You give me the red kryptonite, and I set you free. A win-win arrangement." Her gaze turned dark. "I don't like betrayal."

"I told you, I..."

"Ah, ah, ah," she cooed wagging her finger in Samantha's face. "Please don't lie to me. Now, I'm going to prove to you just how easily I can get you out of here, and you are going to help me get the kryptonite. Are we clear?"

"But I don't have it!" she blurted out.

"I know," the woman's gaze turned dark as she reached over to pull the alarm on her door. "Stay close. If you blink, you'll miss it."

"Miss what?"

"Your freedom of course,"

Clark cradled the phone in his hand, letting out a groan. “Okay, thanks Jimmy,” he hit the end button and hung up, turning to Lois who was sipping on a glass of water, holding an ice pack to her head. “How are you feeling?”

“Like I want to hunt down the person we know is responsible for releasing pheromones in the newsroom and pluck every last hair off her head,” Lois muttered vehemently.

“I’m still having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that Cat Grant would try to drug us,” Clark said, rubbing his head. The effects from the pheromone had worn off of him pretty quickly, but Lois hadn’t been so lucky. Shortly after he had come back to his senses, she was soon to follow—with a nauseating headache just as she had before.

“You didn’t see her face when I confronted her, Clark,” Lois shook her head, “She was so smug about it. Like she’s trying to prove something.”

“Prove what?” he asked. “I mean, everyone knows what that stuff did before. It’s not like it’s a big secret how I get when I’m around you.” A smile spread across his face, and he saw Lois blush.

“Well, for whatever reason she wanted you to lose control.” Lois reasoned aloud. “The question is why?”

Clark groaned, “Don’t start with that murder conspiracy again. That’s a stretch way out of the norm even for you, Lois.”

“Well, what do you think is going on then?” Lois prompted. “She wanted us distracted for some reason. The only other case we’re working on is the prison case.”

“I think Bill Church’s son is pulling the strings here. He got Baker the job, and now he owes Church.” He was quiet a moment before adding, “I don’t know what Cat’s reasoning for using Pheromones on us is but I intend to find out.”

“How are you planning on doing that without getting sprayed again?” Lois asked, crossing her arms at him. “I don’t even remember you getting sprayed…or me for that matter.”

“Well neither did Ralph but by his behavior, it was obvious something was making him act out of character,” Clark remarked with the shake of his head.

“Fine, we confront Cat with what we know and pray she doesn’t have a bottle of Revenge in her back pocket,” Lois muttered, standing to her feet. “If she does I am not responsible for anything I do or say that might result in her being injured.”

“Uh-huh,” Clark gave her a smirk, “Come on, let’s go. The sooner we get to the bottom of this the sooner…” The loud piercing sound of the siren sounded in his ears.

“What is it?” Lois asked.

“Someone’s escaped from the Metropolis Correctional Facility,” He said with a scowl.

Lois reached over to loosen his tie for him, “Be careful.” She leaned in to kiss him before he stepped back, spinning out into the suit, flying out the window and heading toward the penitentiary.

Dr. Bernard Klein turned to the room filled with nervous interns and research assistants. On the back wall was a line of police officers ready to get the statements from the apparent witnesses to the shooting of Dr. Irwin Johnson.

“Not one of you saw or heard anything?”

The room was quiet as each blue jacket turned to one another and shrugged. Dr. Klein shook his head in despair. “I’ll need a list of everything that’s come in and out of this lab within the hour.”

Jerry White waltzed up the steps to the office he'd met Agent Rollins in. He'd been so close to cracking this case open and then he'd been pulled off. He needed to know why. He needed answers. Most of all, he needed to feel like he was doing something with his life.

He had agreed to go undercover and help bring down Intergang then he'd been pulled from the case. He needed to know why. He approached the door to the room he'd entered before only to find it was already open. He placed his hand on the doorknob, carefully listening as the occupants continued their conversation none the wiser that he was listening in.

"The investigation into Baker is where this stops. Nothing leads back to the boss." a voice spoke. Jerry scrunched up his nose as he caught a whiff of the nicotine coming from the room.

"I can't just drop this, McCoy. There are a lot of hands in this." Rollins' panicked voice echoed from the room.

'So that's what's going on,' Jerry thought to himself.

"You let me worry about that," McCoy's voice boomed. "The boss wants things handled. You're going to handle it, are we clear? We both know you've got a lot to lose. We don't want any accidents happening, now do we?"

'I've got to get out of here,' Jerry thought to himself. He'd heard enough. He didn't know what he was going to do or where he was going to go, but he knew he had to get out of here before he was caught.

Just as he was about to exit the corridor, he heard one last tidbit of information that made him freeze. "Those reporters are proving to be a problem. A bomb's set to go off within the hour, leveling the Daily Planet and sending a loud message to anyone that dares to cross Intergang. You make sure the evidence leads to Baker and all those pesky debts you've got with the boss will disappear."

"No, you can't!" he heard Rollins say.

'Dad!' Jerry's mind screamed as he backed out the same door he came.

Barry gathered up his camera in his arms, setting it up in the corner of the Daily Planet lobby as he prepared to zero in on Lois Lane once more. Mike had disappeared on him...again. He wasn't sure what was up with that kid always disappearing when he needed him, but he wasn't going to let that get in his way.

McCoy wanted a tail on Lane and Kent, and that was what he was going to deliver. He would get the story behind the scandal once and for all and provide the real scoop on the questions surrounding Clark Kent's absence from Superman's press conference. He'd been given a job, and he was going to do it.

Barry gathered up his camera in his arms, setting it up in the corner of the Daily Planet lobby as he prepared to zero in on Lois Lane once more. Mike had disappeared on him...again. He wasn't sure what was up with that kid always disappearing when he needed him, but he wasn't going to let that get in his way.

McCoy wanted a tail on Lane and Kent, and that was what he was going to deliver. He would get the story behind the scandal once and for all and provide the real scoop on the questions surrounding Clark Kent's absence from Superman's press conference. He'd been given a job, and he was going to do it.

A flood of officers filled the lobby. Barry got his microphone ready, preparing to get the scoop when he had the mic confiscated from his hand by one of the officers. "Hey!"

"Back up! No press!" he ordered.

Barry scowled, watching as his camera and microphone were taken into custody. He quickly grabbed his tape from the deck, "Hey, now that's private property!"

"You get out of my way, or it's going to be the property of the Metropolis P.D." the detective ordered.

"There a problem here?" the stern voice of Superman came from the distance.

Barry swallowed hard, holding the tape to his chest and backing away. "Su-Superman, uh,"

Before he could finish his thought, the detective interrupted, "We need you out of here, sir,"

Barry's face fell when he saw the stern expression on both the detective and Superman's face. "Of course,"

Cat let out a long breath as she stared at the screen on the television. Nothing. No sign of Superman. Surely something would come up, right? Something had to happen. Metropolis was never without a disaster of some kind.

"Hey, Kitty Cat!" Ralph's lover's spew called out to her as Jimmy escorted him into the conference room. "I love you....ba-byyyyy" he began to sing, and she let out a groan.

"Make it stop," she muttered under her breath.

Perry approached her with a worried expression, "Sorry, Cat, I don't know what's gotten into him, but we'll get him to sleep it off and hopefully get to the bottom of this."

"It's fine, Perry, really," Cat rambled hoping to not draw attention to Ralph's odd behavior. "I just have that effect on men."

Perry frowned, "I don't know. It seems very peculiar for Ralph even..."

"It's fine, really," Cat said hurriedly.

A short man with coke bottle glasses approached with a clipboard in hand. Cat could have sworn she'd seen him before but couldn't place where. He held out a small box, "Delivery for Lois Lane?"

Perry looked around with a frown, "Where is Lois?" He scanned the newsroom and added, "And Clark for that matter?"

"Uh, they had a lead to chase!" Cat shrugged, hoping her editor bought it.

"Uh-huh," Perry looked to the man with the clipboard, "You can leave it with the front desk. She'll pick it up when she gets in."

The man's face tensed and then he shook his head, "No, I need to deliver it to Ms. Lane. See here?" He pointed to the clipboard with the note.

Cat read the note and frowned. Something about the sender's name struck a chord with her. "Bill McCoy? Why does that name sound so familiar?"

"Catherine Grant?"

Cat turned to see a crowd of officers approaching her from the stairwell. "Well, what did I do to get this kind of treatment, detective?" She approached them with a flirtatious smile.

Detective Wolfe frowned, holding up a picture of her cousin's mugshot. "Have you been in contact with Samantha Grady since her escape?"

"Escape?" Cat echoed in shock.

"Escape?"

She turned to Superman staring her down with a look of disapproval on his face.

"I think we better take this in my office," Perry said, motioning for the officers to follow.

Lois Lane approached the Daily Planet, phone in hand. She spotted A man with bottle cap glasses running from the building, throwing his baseball cap and jacket off as he lunged toward the crosswalk, knocking her down in the process. "Hey!"

She bolted up, ready to confront the attacker but found he was already sprinting across the street, darting in between cars as the crosswalk blinked 'do not cross.' She let out a muttered curse and sighed, "I've got bigger fish to fry."

"Ms. Lane! Don't! Don't go in there!" a voice came from behind her.

She turned to see Jerry White, pale as a ghost as he hollered at her from a few feet away. Curious she turned and walked toward him.

"Look out!"

She let out a muffled cry as a white cloth covered hand snaked around her, silencing her before a sound could be made. 'Chloroform' was the last thing that crossed her mind as she fell to the ground, darkness overtaking her instantly.

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube